Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

[quote name='Riyonuk']Well I mean, I purchased this game years ago, for $19.99, years have passed, and it only drops down in $10? Yet systems drop down in the hundreds?[/QUOTE]

You make no sense to me.

Systems - one example - Top Loader NES - came out at $50 in 1993, routinely goes for $100+ on ebay.

You're complaining about a 50% drop. Hell, they could have put it on there for $40 and been justified given the current market conditions for the game. There's plenty of other games out there that cost as much, if not more, than when they came out so yeah, if I didn't own it already on disc, I'd definitely download it for a measly $10 (or technically $8.00 if I use one of those $40 clearanced WalMart $50 PS3 cards).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm alone on this, but I'd love having a DD version as well as be able to play it on PSP.[/QUOTE]

And not having to get up to put the disc in, yea, I'm seriously that lazy.

[quote name='persianhero']too bad its 1 gig!! i dont have enough space for it! i gotta have to buy a 16 gig memory stick for my psp![/QUOTE]

we are very similar. (posted from a PSP)

[quote name='persianhero']too bad its 1 gig!! i dont have enough space for it! i gotta have to buy a 16 gig memory stick for my psp![/QUOTE]
Seriously? It's a gig o.o?

[quote name='J7.']It was 3 discs on PS1.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but by having it as one file they were able to cut down on redundant stuff (i.e. each disc had to have the same textures since you could go back to places).

[quote name='prateeko']Yes, but by having it as one file they were able to cut down on redundant stuff (i.e. each disc had to have the same textures since you could go back to places).[/QUOTE]

They did not re-make the game, just dumped the iso's, packaged it in a ps1 emulator of some kind, and released it. You actually have to change disks in the game.

You can change the control scheme from the home menu once you start the game if you would prefer to use the analog stick over the d-pad (and I believe you can customize the controller so you can control movement with BOTH the d-pad and analog stick at the same time if you'd like).

And I was also going to post that BestBuy had a sale on 8GB memory stick pro duo's for $35 a piece (which is what I ended up buying so I could DL the game), except it looks like the sale is done. Whoops.

NewEgg seems to have the same one I bought, just for $2 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171311 And I believe their 4GB version sells for $20 if you feel you don't need 8GB of memory. Best deal I personally could find.

[quote name='PDJ']You can change the control scheme from the home menu once you start the game if you would prefer to use the analog stick over the d-pad [/QUOTE]
Holy crap, you're right! I don't know how I missed that. Thanks, PDJ. I hope my misinformation earlier in the thread about analog support didn't deter anyone from buying this. This is an excellent feature.

Man I have no idea how Sony can afford to provide games online for this price. Since I have 3 very close friends, this game ended up being 2.50 for each of us.

[quote name='PDJ']You can change the control scheme from the home menu once you start the game if you would prefer to use the analog stick over the d-pad (and I believe you can customize the controller so you can control movement with BOTH the d-pad and analog stick at the same time if you'd like).
[/QUOTE]

How? When I push the "PS3" button and bring up the menu, I can change "controller" options but when I switch from digital to analog, it always seems to have automatically reset to digital when I access the menu again.

[quote name='prateeko']Yes, but by having it as one file they were able to cut down on redundant stuff (i.e. each disc had to have the same textures since you could go back to places).[/QUOTE]
When old games, i.e. roms are put on PSN and I'd imagine Virtual Console and most any other services where they are not remade, they just dump the data into a file. They don't spend time to repiece all the code.

[quote name='dfo']How? When I push the "PS3" button and bring up the menu, I can change "controller" options but when I switch from digital to analog, it always seems to have automatically reset to digital when I access the menu again.[/QUOTE]
Same for me. Is there some hidden setting somewhere that I missed or perhaps an update that I haven't gotten yet?

[quote name='Timba111']we are very similar. (posted from a PSP)[/QUOTE]

How in the world do do get your PSP to go onto this site? There's too much crap going on for mine to load everything.

[quote name='BattleChicken']If Square had finished FF7, it might be a contender for one of the best RPGs ever.. but they didn't, so...[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's easily a candidate for best RPG ever, despite your opinion or whatever trivia you heard about them not being the ones to finish it.

There will always be people that don't like a given game, but FFVII is a landmark title for all video game history, not just RPGs. It's a classic.

[quote name='dfo']How? When I push the "PS3" button and bring up the menu, I can change "controller" options but when I switch from digital to analog, it always seems to have automatically reset to digital when I access the menu again.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was referring to playing it on the PSP, not the PS3. I downloaded the game just so I could play it on my PSP. Doesn't look like you can use the Analog stick on the PS3 version.

I did just discover that you can save and load games back and forth between a hardcopy on the PS3, and the DL'ed version, which is kinda cool. Although no real reason why one would ever want to do that back and forth.

[quote name='wildcpac']Do previous saves on the hard drive for FF7 based on the disk edition work for the download copy?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just said they did, but I probably didn't say it clear enough. I had a save on my PS3 from my hardcopy of FFVII, and tried loading it with the DL'ed copy of FFVII and it worked.

I picked it up, just to keep my discs in good condition. I agree it's a classic, but best RPG ever? Naw, FFVI was better than this and Suikoden II was better than both

[quote name='Capitalizt']Over on SD they are saying the price is now $15. Can anyone confirm? It's still worth it of course..but not quite as hot.[/QUOTE]

I just purchased it last night from the Playstation store and it was still $9.99

:lol: You made me run upstairs and fire up the PS3 just to check (since you can't seem to see prices anywhere online). It is still showing $9.99 for me at nearly 4am Pacific. It's funny, it may very well be worth it for $15 but I sure as hell wouldn't buy it if they raised the price (knowing that I could have had it for $10). I still haven't gotten it - I almost did thinking maybe it would go up. But then I figure if it does I'll save $10 (or $15) on something I wouldn't have time to play anyway ;). If it is still $10 in a few days maybe I will buy it.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Over on SD they are saying the price is now $15.[/QUOTE]

Ah, fear. Probably the best way to drive the market.

[quote name='gaxur']Ah, fear. Probably the best way to drive the market.[/QUOTE]

This is why I didn't buy it just now - I don't want some wacky rumor making me spend the money before I'm ready to ;). It took some willpower but I didn't cave.

[quote name='io']:lol: You made me run upstairs and fire up the PS3 just to check (since you can't seem to see prices anywhere online).[/QUOTE]I think you can browse the PSN store with their Media Go software. Not 100% sure though.

[quote name='PDJ']Sorry I was referring to playing it on the PSP, not the PS3. I downloaded the game just so I could play it on my PSP. Doesn't look like you can use the Analog stick on the PS3 version.

I did just discover that you can save and load games back and forth between a hardcopy on the PS3, and the DL'ed version, which is kinda cool. Although no real reason why one would ever want to do that back and forth.[/QUOTE]

This is because FFVII came out before the analog PSOne sticks came out.

[quote name='eastshore4']Went on PSN to buy FF7 but it was sold out...[/QUOTE]

lol.... I dont think that can happen with digital copies.

I had this game for my pc and ps1. Ah the sound fonts tech from creative labs made the pc version sound like nothing else at the time. But 10 bucks is a bit steep for this game now days.

[quote name='G-Nitro']I picked it up, just to keep my discs in good condition. I agree it's a classic, but best RPG ever? Naw, FFVI was better than this and Suikoden II was better than both[/QUOTE]

This.

That said, I've been loving the hell out of replaying this on my PSP. I just wish I wasn't so busy at work this week or I would have brought my PSP in and closed the office door.

[quote name='G-Nitro']I picked it up, just to keep my discs in good condition. I agree it's a classic, but best RPG ever? Naw, FFVI was better than this and Suikoden II was better than both[/QUOTE]

I have to ask...are you Edward Scissorhands or something? :whistle2:# Really...what could you possibly be doing to the discs that would mess it up?

I've had FFVII since release day, and you could shrink wrap the damn thing and no one would ever know it was opened. Hell, 95% of my games are like that, save for a few I lent out or bought used that are not 100% mint...

The SNES FF games might have had better stories but the graphics are so primitive and pixellated that they are impossible to get immersed in for modern gamers. I know Chrono Trigger was supposedly the best game ever..and I tried playing it on my PS1 last year. It was just plain sad. I'm no graphics whore at all..and actually stuck with it for 5-6 hours but eventually gave up. I felt no connection to the characters.. The weak little 3 frame animations for movement and attacks..pathetic magic spells and sound effects made it impossible to take it seriously. At least FF7 has smooth animation, transparencies, millions of colors, high quality prerendered backgrounds, etc. It is possible to suspend belief when playing it and truly connect with the game world. This isn't possible for old NES and SNES RPG's. I have a feeling if you guys go back to the game now..15 years later, your nostalgia will disappear.. Just look at it..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqC5ktZbCk

[quote name='Capitalizt']The SNES FF games might have had better stories but the graphics are so primitive and pixellated that they are impossible to get immersed in for modern gamers. I know Chrono Trigger was supposedly the best game ever..and I tried playing it on my PS1 last year. It was just plain sad. I'm no graphics whore at all..and actually stuck with it for 5-6 hours but eventually gave up. I felt no connection to the characters.. The weak little 3 frame animations for movement and attacks..pathetic magic spells and sound effects made it impossible to take it seriously. At least FF7 has smooth animation, transparencies, millions of colors, high quality prerendered backgrounds, etc. It is possible to suspend belief when playing it and truly connect with the game world. This isn't possible for old NES and SNES RPG's. I have a feeling if you guys go back to the game now..15 years later, your nostalgia will disappear.. Just look at it..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqC5ktZbCk[/QUOTE]

I like the old SNES graphics for games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. Even though there are a lot better (graphically looking) games out now, it does not affect my experience at all to go back and play something that is kind of outdated like that. Maybe it's because I grew up with them?

Sony needs to come up w/ an OFFICIAL way of getting PS1 DISC games copied over to the PS3 HD or PSP mem stick. I'm tired of getting hosed by sony for playing by the rules.

[quote name='Capitalizt']The SNES FF games might have had better stories but the graphics are so primitive and pixellated that they are impossible to get immersed in for modern gamers. I know Chrono Trigger was supposedly the best game ever..and I tried playing it on my PS1 last year. It was just plain sad. I'm no graphics whore at all..and actually stuck with it for 5-6 hours but eventually gave up. I felt no connection to the characters.. The weak little 3 frame animations for movement and attacks..pathetic magic spells and sound effects made it impossible to take it seriously. At least FF7 has smooth animation, transparencies, millions of colors, high quality prerendered backgrounds, etc. It is possible to suspend belief when playing it and truly connect with the game world. This isn't possible for old NES and SNES RPG's. I have a feeling if you guys go back to the game now..15 years later, your nostalgia will disappear.. Just look at it..lol

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. FFVII aged worth than other 3D games. How can you take someone with a block for a hand seriously? I would take high quality 2D over early 3D games. In fact I just started FFIV The After Years and really enjoying it, and the graphics are no better than SNES quality.

[quote name='Capitalizt'] I'm no graphics whore at all..[/QUOTE]

Sure you are.

All of the FF games have held up pretty well, but the SNES ones have held up the best; 11 and 12 being a close second for ones that will endure as beautiful.

I can understand not being able to enjoy a game because the graphics are abstract, but to say you're not a graphics whore is simply untrue. Personally, I find frustrating difficulty in games to drive me away, and I can barely hold an interest in written fiction. It's not that difficulty is bad, or that fiction is boring, it's just that I personally can't enjoy it. Acknowledge your weak spots, don't blame it on the art.

One nice thing about the 2D Final Fantasy games is that the battles are far faster. The main thing I dislike about FF7 is being forced to sit through the unnecessarily long summons and spells - especially the final boss' stupid spells.

[quote name='expane']Sony needs to come up w/ an OFFICIAL way of getting PS1 DISC games copied over to the PS3 HD or PSP mem stick. I'm tired of getting hosed by sony for playing by the rules.[/QUOTE]

This because I still own the original but I am interested in buying PSone games
I have never owned like R-type Delta.

If you own the original then it will play on your PS3 just fine. Nobody ever promised you that your games would play on every system that you buy in the future forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back