Final Fantasy X|X-2 $39.99 preorder at Amazon. Pricing error?

kupomogli

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I think it's pricing error because first off, it's Square Enix, but then the games are also coming to the Vita. With most Vita games coming out at $39.99 when they launch, this would have to come out at $30 or $20 to not piss off Vita owners over pricing.

Then again, all other HD Collections except for MGS HD Collection launched at $39.99, so maybe there's that. But they did enhance this version rather than just a HD rerelease, so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy...id=1365527706&sr=8-1&keywords=final+fantasy+x

There's no way they're selling these for $20/each on the Vita. That's making the assumption that they're considering the games as equals. You probably have about 5x's as many people interested in X than X-2. They'll probably sell X for $30 retail and offer you X-2 for $20 via digital download.

Cross play is probably totally out of the question. I mean, we're talking about a company who's make a large part of their money over the past decade from re-selling us games we already own. Let's see, I own FFIV in the following formats:
SNES
PSX Origins set
GBA re-release
DS remake
Wii "After years"
PSP "ultimate" edition
PSP "ultimate" edition digital copy (for my Vita)

I think the only major release I don't own is the Wonder Swan one. I suppose I'm part of the problem letting SE gouge me, but still. THIS is why we're not going to get cross play.

I figure its worth the early preorder just in case the game is over $40 msrp. A month ago no one had any idea X-2 was going to be included and amazon does not charge until the game ships. worst case, I cancel my preorder if something better pops up.

[quote name='gentlyporking']This game marked the death of the Final Fantasy brand for me...[/QUOTE]

No. You getting old marked the death of the Final Fantasy brand for you. You just grew out of the Final Fantasy target audience.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']No. You getting old marked the death of the Final Fantasy brand for you. You just grew out of the Final Fantasy target audience.[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

Everybody knows the Final Fantasy brand died with VII. 3D graphics? Pshaw. And they abandoned Nintendo for a Sony system? BETRAYAL!

[quote name='Nionel']Yeah, HD versions of the older games would require a significant amount of extra work, unlike this PS2 era games that just need their textures smoothed out and maybe a little touch up here and there.[/QUOTE]

And turning 16/32-bit into 3D models isn't? It is totally plausible.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Everybody knows the Final Fantasy brand died with VII. 3D graphics? Pshaw. And they abandoned Nintendo for a Sony system? BETRAYAL![/QUOTE]

That and Cloud was the worst main character of any FF game.

[quote name='StryderOmega']And turning 16/32-bit into 3D models isn't? It is totally plausible.[/QUOTE]

I never said it wasn't, but the less time and money Square has to put into these ports the better it is for them. Lets face it, the whole concept of the HD collection is to make money off of a game that the dev knows will sell without the cost of programming an entire new game from the ground up.

[quote name='Nionel']I never said it wasn't, but the less time and money Square has to put into these ports the better it is for them. Lets face it, the whole concept of the HD collection is to make money off of a game that the dev knows will sell without the cost of programming an entire new game from the ground up.[/QUOTE]
Luckily for Square, the modeling and art design in these games was so high quality in the first place that all they need to do is up the resolution and it will look pretty damn great on an HD television. Squint a little and you might mistake it for a real current gen game. :lol:

When they get around to Final Fantasy XII, it's going to look unbelievable.

[quote name='Havok83']Why would one even think this was a pricing error when 98% of the HD collections launch at $40 and lower?[/QUOTE]

A few reasons, although three I've already stated in the first post.

-It's more of an HD remake than any of the other releases as they've added more textures to character models, added different textures in the environment, etc.

-It's Square Enix.. This is the big one. Almost every Square Enix rerelease has been overpriced on whatever console. They're so overpriced on the PSN that they broke collections like Anthology and Chronicles apart, selling them as two different titles, but still pricing them as the premium $9.99 cost.

-It's the international editions meaning there's content that was never localized that they have to localize for the west.

-There's the Vita releases. Considering that a lot of RPG fans will probably think these two are the best games on the Vita, will Square Enix really want to price them lower than the average Vita launch price? Even a cheap PSN/iOS game Dungeon Hunter Alliance was $39.99.

-Then finally, there's all the single title rereleased games that are priced at $39.99 or more for one game. Resident Evil Revelations is launching at $49.99, Doom 3 BFG(including Doom 1 and 2 but they're emulated, and aren't they freeware?,) Star Fox 64, and Zelda 64 launched at $39.99.

Not trying to be rude, just giving some facts that made me believe that this is a pricing error. Just incase it is, those that also thought it might be more would have atleast preordered before the price increased. I mean nothing says you can't cancel it and purchase it later on the chance that it's not a pricing error.

Judging by how FF13 looks, I'll probably get this. The masochist in me wants to suffer with whiny Tidus and wooden Yuna again.

[quote name='kupomogli'] Doom 3 BFG(including Doom 1 and 2 but they're emulated, and aren't they freeware?,)[/QUOTE]

Doom 1 and 2 freeware versions were only the first episodes of each game.

[quote name='kupomogli']
-It's more of an HD remake than any of the other releases as they've added more textures to character models, added different textures in the environment, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure on this but I don't think they added new textures but just increased the resolution of the previous ones. Also I think they just increased the polygon count on the character models from what I can tell but you can correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']So what's the deal with the Vita releases, then? When will they be made available? Please tell me they won't be digital only.[/QUOTE]

They will be sold separately. Release dates (of either version) haven't been announced but it's assumed they are simultaneous.

I would not be surprised if the Vita version is download-only in the US.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']I greatly dislike this thread. Under the guise of a price, it asks a question and the red text says you don't ask questions. People always go on the line for their deals but this op didn't have the guts to and broke the rules. For this reason, and the fact that the press release states this price and its not a deal, this should be deleted.[/QUOTE]

Chill son

[quote name='Mako1215']Meh. Playing this on PS2 was enough for me[/QUOTE]

How dare you say that, you uncooth philistene.

I can wait as long as necessary until this goes on sale before picking it up. I LOVE FFX but I did already play it and I still have 3,4 After Years, 5,6,7,8,9 to finish. (yay SE sales!)

[quote name='Hestar']FFX > all other FF Games and I loveeee every FF Game in the series (That includes 13/13-2)[/QUOTE]

Even with the uncharacteristic linearity, horrible characters, terrible voice acting and a ridiculous plot?

FFXII (12) was probably my favorite for the PS2 era. Anyway, I'm hoping the Vita version pops up soon for pre-order. I will not be buying it digitally unless it's discounted to like $20. I'm still a physical game person...

"Even with the uncharacteristic linearity, horrible characters, terrible voice acting and a ridiculous plot?"

another bandwagon warrior appears bashing other peoples opinions on popular games.
Loved Both FFXIII and XIII-2. There should be a whole Forum for you guys. Cant wait for these HD upgrades.

[quote name='gentlyporking']Even with the uncharacteristic linearity, horrible characters, terrible voice acting and a ridiculous plot?[/QUOTE]

FF9 wasn't that bad.

[quote name='Kyokugen']"Even with the uncharacteristic linearity, horrible characters, terrible voice acting and a ridiculous plot?"

another bandwagon warrior appears bashing other peoples opinions on popular games.
Loved Both FFXIII and XIII-2. There should be a whole Forum for you guys. Cant wait for these HD upgrades.[/QUOTE]

:lol: pot calling kettle black

:lol: FF13 and 13-2 being popular

Granted XIII and its sequel weren't your typical FF numbered fare, but I enjoyed them. And I love FFXII also. Combat was fresh and didn't get dull. I would be all over XII HD. In fact I would have rather had the 12-2 over 13-2. It was wide open.for a sequel. I never played the DS quasi sequel, was a let down as I was hoping for a true FF style game

[quote name='DarkSageRK']FF9 wasn't that bad.[/QUOTE]
GIF-OOOOOOOOH.gif

[quote name='6er']Granted XIII and its sequel weren't your typical FF numbered fare, but I enjoyed them. And I love FFXII also. Combat was fresh and didn't get dull. I would be all over XII HD. In fact I would have rather had the 12-2 over 13-2. It was wide open.for a sequel. I never played the DS quasi sequel, was a let down as I was hoping for a true FF style game[/QUOTE]

FFXII and its sub-titled counter part can totally make its way to an HD release as a dual pack.

not a deal, Vita versions pricing isn't known, and online Final Fantasy arguments are as terrible as they are cliched, just like your favorite Final Fantasy game.

lock it up

[quote name='StryderOmega']FFXII and its sub-titled counter part can totally make its way to an HD release as a dual pack.[/QUOTE]
I so wish XII had gotten a X-2 style sequel rather than the RTS spinoff it did get. Square was just all about those RTS spinoffs for a while there. :p

I did not care much for XII and I think the big reason for that was playing XI at the same time and I was doing a lot of endgame with a strict linkshell that wanted you to put attending their events first and your real life last. Because of doing these events for up to 6 hours everday had just made FFXII not really a good game for me to relax to during the spare time I did have. Since I don't play FFXI anymore after quitting about two years ago I feel I should give FFXII and second chance soon so I can actually enjoy it.

[quote name='Deader2818']yeah, FFXI wasted a lot of my life, lol. played from 2002-2012, lol[/QUOTE]

Ya the game was addicting for me it was not till Abyssea came out that I started disliking the game. Pretty much Abyssea broke the game for me and just made it too easy and made all the old gear that I had worked for almost useless. Sure trials you could do later to augment old gear improved them some but there just was not enough time for me to do them between endgame and all. I really regret wasting so much time in the game and not living life a little more. I made some friendships through the game but most of those went away when I quit the game and I only keep in contact with three people from FFXI now.

[quote name='Havok83']Why would one even think this was a pricing error when 98% of the HD collections launch at $40 and lower?

Just two games? These are pretty substantial titles which will easily amount to over 150+ hours of gameplay. This probably took them more work to port over than the average PS2 title. FF X HD was worth the original expected pricetag of $40. Throwing in X-2 is a great bonus[/QUOTE]
I was not a fan of X. If it was XII HD that's another story,

[quote name='gentlyporking']Even with the uncharacteristic linearity, horrible characters, terrible voice acting and a ridiculous plot?[/QUOTE]

Yes.Voice acting not as bad as ppl say,Love the characters and the plot/ending is the best IMO..I'd even say 8 > 7.

[quote name='Sion']Ya the game was addicting for me it was not till Abyssea came out that I started disliking the game. Pretty much Abyssea broke the game for me and just made it too easy and made all the old gear that I had worked for almost useless. Sure trials you could do later to augment old gear improved them some but there just was not enough time for me to do them between endgame and all. I really regret wasting so much time in the game and not living life a little more. I made some friendships through the game but most of those went away when I quit the game and I only keep in contact with three people from FFXI now.[/QUOTE]

My wife quit for this exact reason (thank god). Of course now she wants to get XIV Reborn..../facepalm

[quote name='kupomogli']A few reasons, although three I've already stated in the first post.

-It's more of an HD remake than any of the other releases as they've added more textures to character models, added different textures in the environment, etc.[/quote]Its a remaster, not a full on remake. To date, MGS is the only PS2 collection which launched higher than $40. $40 and below is the norm, not the exception

-It's Square Enix.. This is the big one. Almost every Square Enix rerelease has been overpriced on whatever console. They're so overpriced on the PSN that they broke collections like Anthology and Chronicles apart, selling them as two different titles, but still pricing them as the premium $9.99 cost.

-It's the international editions meaning there's content that was never localized that they have to localize for the west.
that's really irrelevant and I don't think matters

-There's the Vita releases. Considering that a lot of RPG fans will probably think these two are the best games on the Vita, will Square Enix really want to price them lower than the average Vita launch price? Even a cheap PSN/iOS game Dungeon Hunter Alliance was $39.99.
I don't follow and don't see what the Vita pricing has to do with the PS3 release since the Vita wont have it bundled together

-Then finally, there's all the single title rereleased games that are priced at $39.99 or more for one game. Resident Evil Revelations is launching at $49.99, Doom 3 BFG(including Doom 1 and 2 but they're emulated, and aren't they freeware?,) Star Fox 64, and Zelda 64 launched at $39.99.
NONE of those are part of the PS2 HD Collections line. Its comparing apples to oranges. There has been no single PS2 HD release at $40. At the most, the single releases have been $20

To be honest, FFX international was already localized for Europe. So there is no additional localization needed, except changing the video output to NTSC.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']FF9 wasn't that bad.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 35 hours into FFIX right now.

I have no idea how I feel about the game so far.

[quote name='Emoney244']I was not a fan of X. If it was XII HD that's another story,[/QUOTE]

Loved XII. Not many people did, unfortunately.

FF IX is the second best PSX FF game behind FF VIII. Replaying FF IX on my Vita from the PSN now. Beautiful world, great writing, excellent cast of characters. Not nearly as thematically complex or ambitious as FF VIII, but such a step above the abomination that is FF VII it's not even funny.

FF9 is a completionist's nightmare. Do you max level, or do you get the special sword for the speed run?

I can't wait for this collection. I guess it solidifies your gamer cred to say you hate a certain FF, but I've always looked forward to all of them when they came out, and I haven't had a bad experience with one yet - even X-2.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']FF IX is the second best PSX FF game behind FF VIII. Replaying FF IX on my Vita from the PSN now. Beautiful world, great writing, excellent cast of characters. Not nearly as thematically complex or ambitious as FF VIII, but such a step above the abomination that is FF VII it's not even funny.[/QUOTE]

Wow I never thought I Would meet someone who loves 8 like I do :applause:

[quote name='MetalSlugger']My wife quit for this exact reason (thank god). Of course now she wants to get XIV Reborn..../facepalm[/QUOTE]

FFXI lifer 2004-2012 here.

I want to continue to play but with everyone wanting everybody with Relic/Empyrean/Mythic weapons to even be considered, it's tough to roll with the new standard. I just can't bring myself to invest this much time just be competitive. LVL 90 or 95 weapons won't even cut it anymore, you better have lvl 99. That's what really drives me away.

Looking forward to FFXIV reborn though, it's new and it's fresh!

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Considering how terrible square is at life and how greedy their 16 dollar ff ports on iPhone is, no way they do cross buy[/QUOTE]

The very thin silver lining is that the iPhone games are now iOS universal... But that's not saying much

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']FF IX is the second best PSX FF game behind FF VIII. Replaying FF IX on my Vita from the PSN now. Beautiful world, great writing, excellent cast of characters. Not nearly as thematically complex or ambitious as FF VIII, but such a step above the abomination that is FF VII it's not even funny.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could get a ...Whatever dialog option in all jrpgs!

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Gave up on the series after IX. o.o So many people here with gamer wives.. :/ I can't find one unless I settle for a 2 ton behemoth.[/QUOTE]
How do you know that everyone here is not a 2 ton behemoth?

bread's done
Back