Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

Yeah, YMMV here, folks. Tried today and the cashier just said the coupon couldn't be used on sale items. Oh well, still a pretty good price, all things considered.

[quote name='iGen']It is when you derail a deal topic with your irrelevant shitty opinion that no one cares about and is 100% irrelevant to the deal.

Last I checked, this was a Deal forum, not a Whine-About-Games-You-Don't-Like forum. Why don't you go to IGNorant or failchan, those places would be better fits for you.[/QUOTE]

BAAAAWW more. You sound like a whiner dude.

[quote name='FridgeBeard']Yeah, YMMV here, folks. Tried today and the cashier just said the coupon couldn't be used on sale items. Oh well, still a pretty good price, all things considered.[/QUOTE]

You're the 1st person who has said they wouldn't accept the coupon. I'd try a different Best Buy or at least a different cashier. :pray:

[quote name='KillerRamen']That doesn't sound like fun, but replaying Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360 does. :booty:[/QUOTE]

:grouphug: :applause:

I have $30 reward zone credit (single certificate) left.
Anyone know if I use that to buy this game, do I forfeit the left over $10.01 or can I still use that in the future?

[quote name='mr_bungle']I thought ToV and Lost Odyssey were considered the best JRPGs this gen?[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed ToV much more, but I liked this a little better than Lost Odyssey. All three are definitely worth playing.

[quote name='GUNNM']not as bad as X-2 but yeah this was a pretty shitty FF

Might re-buy it for the lightning gamerpic =][/QUOTE]

I've played through both and if I was forced to make such a horrible choice, I'd pick X-2 over XIII.

Might give it a try later in the week. Then again waiting might not be good either as some will get wise about this. At least a couple of BBs around here that I can try if I get shot at one or another.

[quote name='jjmai']I have $30 reward zone credit (single certificate) left.
Anyone know if I use that to buy this game, do I forfeit the left over $10.01 or can I still use that in the future?[/QUOTE]

You can't use it. I tried to buy my copy of FF XIII with my $20 certificate, but it wouldn't work. Why... you ask? Because the game was 19.99. I had to add a .99 item to my order.

Coupon worked. Don't know why people would have a problem because it didn't come up weird in the computer or anything like that.

I tried to stack the RZ coupon with Blur a few weeks ago. I had the first cashier in BB history who actually read the coupon and denied even scanning it.

I may try this out later in the week, but if anyone in the MD area (Gaithersburg, Rockville, Germantown) finds that it works at their store, if you could send me a PM.

[quote name='acidraine']
Obviously 6 pages of replies at this point proves that this particular thread was warranted.[/QUOTE]
Way to get ahead of yourself... I am only on page 5.

Well when you compare...
Best Buy Ad is 10 pages
July Gamerzone is 14 pages (also been there since the beginning of the month).

Unwarranted or unvalidated threads are on page two by the end of the day. I've only been here two months and I've figured that out. However, you've been here six years and seem to have trouble picking up on the concept.

Yes, it is because of this crap that goes on that people post the same deal as three different other threads. This is almost as bad as the full price/regular price threads that get post in here. I would rather see completely different "deals" on the main page, not the same deals with the same discussion. All three of these threads talk about two things... 1. the most common - this game sucks, why?, I love it, etc or 2. the few comments about I got it.

If you feel so strongly about this post being unwarranted, I would ask you to private message every CAG that has picked up a copy of FFXIII via my thread and explain to them why you feel your opinion on thread posting is more important than their purchase.

I'm not a huge fan of putting someone's foot in their mouth in an open forum. If you would like to continue this conversation via private message, I would love to be entertained about your aspirations of being a make believe moderator.

Once again I thank you for your support and cooperation for making CAG a better place so that everyone can get a great deal on games.

It's good you want to feel like you are getting credit for such a "great" deal that you didn't even come up with. The deal has been discussed way prior to your post, a week in advance. I can't help that you are unable to read other threads. :roll:

I am done. For anyone getting it, hope you enjoy your non-rpg experience with lame story.

Frankski, it's out of your way but I was able to do it with Blur, and now FF13 wothout a problem at the Glen Burnie store. I would try the stores near you again, just try and pick a young cashier who doesn't seem to bright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, I own it for Playstation but just sold my Playstation to hopefully get a white slim later this year (come on Sony!)

Sooooooo do I buy an Xbox copy? I don't want to play a gimped version though, especially for my first play through :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Sooooooo do I buy an Xbox copy? I don't want to play a gimped version though, especially for my first play through :lol:[/QUOTE]
The compression quality of the FMVs leaves a lot to be desired, many of them are pretty terrible really. And some of the characters' hair has a weird "grainy" quality in the realtime scenes that I think is more muted in the PS3 version. Other than those caveats, it looks and plays great.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I've always been a sucker for FF games, and just recently borrowed from a friend because I've gotten a JRPG itch. With that said, I may pick this up at $20 but I ordered Lost Odyssey for $12 and I'm honestly more excited to play that one, because I've heard much better things....[/QUOTE]

Lost Odyssey is great but FFXIII would be a good deal at $20. I may pick up a 360 copy. That way, my son can play it too. Thanks OP.

[quote name='SLeeK719']Frankski, it's out of your way but I used I was able to do it with Blur, and now FF13 wothout a problem at the Glen Burnie store. I would try the stores near you again, just try and pick a young cashier who doesn't seem to bright.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I may try there (or somewhere closer) this week (I play soccer all the way over there on the weekends).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The compression quality of the FMVs leaves a lot to be desired, many of them are pretty terrible really. And some of the characters' hair has a weird "grainy" quality in the realtime scenes that I think is more muted in the PS3 version. Other than those caveats, it looks and plays great.[/QUOTE]

It's really not THAT bad. From what I remember, the game looks impressive on whichever system you play it on. I thought nearly all the cutscenes use in-game graphics, so I'm a little confused by what the above guy is saying. You're really not going to notice the graphical differences unless you put the 360 version side-by-side to the PS3's, and even then, you'll have to blink a few times to REALLY see the difference -- if you're a casual gamer, anyways. The PS3 version is superior visually, but the difference is small.

Gameplay-wise, the two are identical. The framerate is actually a little better on the 360, but you can hardly tell.

[quote name='notwen']Anyone know if the PS3 version is still having freezing issues?[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any freezing issues, and I am about 36 hours in the game.

And for everyone else, this is a pretty good deal. The game may start out slow, but once you get to chapters 10 and 11, things start to pick up.

[quote name='romeogbs19']It's really not THAT bad. From what I remember, the game looks impressive on whichever system you play it on. I thought nearly all the cutscenes use in-game graphics, so I'm a little confused by what the above guy is saying.[/QUOTE]
Many of the cutscenes were generated using the game engine and assets, but then encoded as videos that stream off the disc rather than actually being generated by the engine in real time (Crisis Core on the PSP did this a lot too). But in both this type of scene and the high-quality prerendered FMVs, I noticed a ton of macro-blocking all over the place. Eurogamer did an analysis that pinned the blame not so much on lack of disc space than on lazy compression techniques. Mileage may vary I guess, but you don't need to be a pixel-counting videophile to be disappointed in the quality of the 360 version's FMVs.

Picked this one up just a few minutes ago. No issues at all with the coupon and the cashier was actually training a noob. Spread that coupon love to the next gen of cashiers!

Just snagged the last ps3 copy for $21.19 w/ tax at the store in Utica,MI. They had atleast 4-5 360 copies in stock. Make sure to check behind other copies of games. The ps3 version I found was hid behind demons souls.

[quote name='uscommander']Just snagged the last ps3 copy for $21.19 w/ tax at the store in Utica,MI. They had atleast 4-5 360 copies in stock. Make sure to check behind other copies of games. The ps3 version I found was hid behind demons souls.[/QUOTE]
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and that dog.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Thread title needs to be edited, it's only $20 after doing a bunch of crap which should be stated.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

what is the matter with you? "A bunch of crap"? It's one coupon and i've yet to hear anyone not get the deal.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Thread title needs to be edited, it's only $20 after doing a bunch of crap which should be stated.[/QUOTE]

"bunch or crap"?

1. sign up for BB RZ
2. sign up for gamers club @ BBRZ
3. print RZ card and coupon
4. if cashier don't coupon take, try another

1-3 can be done in 5 minutes max

[quote name='nixmahn']"bunch or crap"?

1. sign up for BB RZ

1-3 can be done in 5 minutes max[/QUOTE]

exactly. it's not like you have to fill out shady surveys.

eh.. maybe he's "special" and it'd take him 5 hours.

[quote name='nixmahn']"bunch or crap"?

1. sign up for BB RZ

1-3 can be done in 5 minutes max[/QUOTE]

I agree it's not a "bunch of crap", but the title is misleading in that it implies the game will scan for that amount without doing anything else (referring to somebody that just looks at the title of this thread and doesn't click to enter of course ;) )

I agree with UberNinjaz, if the deal price is contingent on signing up for something, it should say "w/ XYZ membership" in the title. No reason not to show all the pertinent information up front.

Went yesterday to pick it up. Scanned the coupon and initially it didn't work and they gave me shit about it being on sale already, therefore the coupon wasn't applicable. One min later he activated the coupon and the price dropped to $19.99 and he gave it to me.

Has anyone confirmed yet if they'll let this fly at the BB in Burbank, CA? ... if not, I may try this on my lunch break, or after work today.

No probs here. Got the next to last Ps3 copy in Brandon.

I love it when guys that obviously dont scan the forums very often (not true CAGs?) try to tell everyone else what to do. I joined CAG in 2008, but did not start posting until late 2009 because I didnt know the lingo. I did everyone and myself a favor and educated myself prior to posting things I did not know about.

I got the last PS3 copy that was on the shelf in the Lanesboro, MA store. The clerk was actually being trained and the guy even said "Now with a coupon you need to check it first" and I thought that he might reject it due to the sale price. Instead he was pointing to make sure it wasn't expired, that the item was indeed purchased and that sort of thing. She scanned it, hit total and BAM! $20 + 6.25% to Devil Patrick. My fiancee will be a happy woman tonight. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I agree with UberNinjaz, if the deal price is contingent on signing up for something, it should say "w/ XYZ membership" in the title. No reason not to show all the pertinent information up front.[/QUOTE]
I agree. At the same, it's sure damn cool to look at all these Best Buy deals and realize there's nothing more to it than to print a coupon and go to a store.

I think it's silly to say the title should be changed. No one who buys at Best Buy and is not already signed up for rewards/gamer's club can rightfully call themselves a CAG.

Honestly I don't see any problems with this coupon anywhere...cashier instructions say:
"Scan coupon UPC. Scan qualifying product UPC(s). Scan all other product(s) being sold. Scan Reward Zone program membership card. Press “Total.” Write “VOID” on the coupon and place it in the register coupon media file."

Plus simple logic says that if the price is now $40, and they're giving us a coupon for that same time period, they should both work. Obviously a lot of people are taking advantage of this and Best Buy hasn't stopped it, so it's meant to be used this way.

I had no issues at the Midtown Square location in Charlotte, NC. I also applied a $10 RZ certificate that I'm not sure how I qualified for (I've only accumulated 99 points since becoming a member), so it was $10.81 out the door. Not too shabby.

Everyone knows that BB reward zone coupons are usually a total crap shoot, so a YMMV wouldn't be unwarranted. It just so happens that so far, everyone's M hasn't really V'd - though I do think I saw one guy in one of these threads say he was denied. Shrug.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Everyone knows that BB reward zone coupons are usually a total crap shoot, so a YMMV wouldn't be unwarranted. It just so happens that so far, everyone's M hasn't really V'd - though I do think I saw one guy in one of these threads say he was denied. Shrug.[/QUOTE]
The thing is, if the clerk scans the coupon, it will work automatically. The one person who got denied was because the clerk immediately said it wont work, but they never actually tried.

[quote name='wrencrest']The thing is, if the clerk scans the coupon, it will work automatically. The one person who got denied was because the clerk immediately said it wont work, but they never actually tried.[/QUOTE]

It's not the cashier's job to see if things work, it's their job to follow store policy and know how to read. All these coupons say invalid on sale items so if a cashier lets you use one on a game on sale then they are making a mistake.

People are always trying to blame workers for doing what they are supposed to do.

Yea! First time I have ever got one of these coupon\sales price things to work. I could see it came up as $0 when the cashier first scaned it, but he then immediately overrided it, no questions. He even commented that it was an awesome coupon.

I have tried this 3-4 times in the past with no success, so I almost didn't even bother. So glad that I did.

Belgarath the Ancient One

bread's done
Back