Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

[quote name='chrisnsally']I have to say, I just played ~2 hours of this, and good LORD does it really disappoint! It's like the Square/Enix folks are stuck in 1987 w/ some of the worst dialogue, voice-overs, etc. Sure, it's DAMN pretty! But it is literally painful to play. All I did was watch a cut scene...walk forward, attack...walk forward, attack....cutscene....repeat.

What happened to the FF series?!?! Other series have evolved in gameplay...but it seems like the FF games don't want to change. Or if they do, it's minor tweaking (for better or worse).

Just really disappointed in this one...especially w/ some of the better games out there![/QUOTE]

The first few hours are awful. It gets great

went to my local store. they said they had 2 in stock but couldnt locate them. that kind of sucks. will try again soon. since it expires on the 31st

[quote name='Ozonekill']Yes everything is sharper on the PS3. The cutscenes on the 360 look like youtube video quality.[/QUOTE]

You know, I don't take sides on this thing but this is just so untrue I had to chime in. No, the 360 cutscenes look fine. They're not youtube quality, Ozonekill. Go back to sleeping with you PS3, fanboy.

There's no need for this sort of misinformation. Yes, the 360's FF13 is a graphical downgrade compared to the PS3, but the casual gamer isn't going to notice, trust me.

And yes, I've seen them side-by-side.

They look awful on the 360. Youtube quality? No, but maybe when compared to the PS3 version.

Nothing fanboy-ish about that, it's a known fact that there were compression issues with the 360 version. So what, the game is still perfectly enjoyable.

yesterday i went and bought the ps3 one for $10 after my $10 RZ GC. the guy was like, damn, you're getting a $60 game for $10!

i'm playing the 360 (bought that one from the kmart deal) one and don't plan on opening up the PS3 one. I still have an extra copy of FF12 sealed too, it's going into my collection of sealed Final Fantasy games. :D (wish i did have FF3 (IV) for SNES still sealed haha)

[quote name='Pojo']They look awful on the 360. Youtube quality? No, but maybe when compared to the PS3 version.

Nothing fanboy-ish about that, it's a known fact that there were compression issues with the 360 version. So what, the game is still perfectly enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what Pojo said though I think "awful" is a bit strong, too :)

The quality of the FMV is just fine -- again, you're ONLY going to notice it if you have the PS3 version right next to you on another screen. Otherwise, the difference in graphics is negligible.

Unfortunately, as people have said, regardless which one you play this for, it's still a mediocre game, at best.

[quote name='Pojo']They look awful on the 360. Youtube quality? No, but maybe when compared to the PS3 version.

Nothing fanboy-ish about that, it's a known fact that there were compression issues with the 360 version. So what, the game is still perfectly enjoyable.[/QUOTE]
It will matter or not matter depending on how you view your television.

I have a 32 inch widescreen display and I sit about 12 feet away. Here, it would be very hard to tell the difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, or DVD vs Blu-Ray for that matter.

However, if you have a 60 inch plasma, the higher fidelity of the PS3 version may be for you.

Here's everything you need to know about the subject: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Anyone know the UPC number for the best buy edition of Red Dead Redemption that has the war horse code? I want to try and track one down. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='lakers2008']went to my local store. they said they had 2 in stock but couldnt locate them. that kind of sucks. will try again soon. since it expires on the 31st[/QUOTE]

The $20 off coupon expires the 31st, the game will probably go back to $60 next week though.

[quote name='Estebon']Anyone know the UPC number for the best buy edition of Red Dead Redemption that has the war horse code? I want to try and track one down. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Umm, wrong thread?

[quote name='romeogbs19']You know, I don't take sides on this thing but this is just so untrue I had to chime in. No, the 360 cutscenes look fine. They're not youtube quality, Ozonekill. Go back to sleeping with you PS3, fanboy.[/QUOTE]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

I loved FF13 and I love my 360, but seriously, the FMV on the 360 version has serious issues. It does not look good. It's not a fanboy thing, it's just the truth. Read page 3 of the Digital Foundry article.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
I loved FF13 and I love my 360, but seriously, the FMV on the 360 version has serious issues.[/QUOTE]
What issues does it have? That the video quality is lower due to do to size limitations is in fact true, but how does that translate into a serious degradation in the experience of playing it for most people?

Videophiles will want the PS3 version. The rest of us won't notice and/or won't care.

Like I said, from where I sit in my bedroom, 10-12 feet away on a 32 inch Sony HDTV, the Xbox 360 version looks fantastic. I will never purchase a Blu-Ray player because the video quality will be wasted on me. DVD is just fine for my situation. Others, with larger TVs and smaller viewing distances may want to shell out the cash for higher resolution video.

It really depends on your situation.

There's way more ugly macro-blocking and compression artifacts than there needed to be, even given the space limitations Square had to work with. The encoding was done in a slipshod way that doesn't live up to the quality of the rest of the presentation. For me it was extremely noticeable every time an FMV played. It didn't affect the gameplay and I still enjoyed the ~95 hours I spent with the game, but that one aspect was extremely disappointing, given the fact that there was no valid reason for it to be so bad except laziness. That's all I have to say about it. If you've read the Digital Foundry analysis and still say you can't see any issues, I don't know what to tell you.

Go to YouTube. Open up any HD video and set it to full screen. View it from 3 feet away and then view it from 12 feet away. If you've done that and you can't see how I don't have any issues with the video in FF13, I don't know what to tell you.

At 3 feet from the TV, I can definitely tell the difference between the Xbox 360 version and the PS3 version. At greater distances the distinction is less apparent. The point is that whether we are talking about PS3 and Xbox 360, or Blu-Ray and regular old ass DVD, what equipment you have and how you view the content matters most. Retailers are upselling equipment that people don't need and don't understand and are making a killing.

Cool, well I guess I'll just wait to play it after I buy another Playstation. (Holding out for a white one LOL)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

I loved FF13 and I love my 360, but seriously, the FMV on the 360 version has serious issues. It does not look good. It's not a fanboy thing, it's just the truth. Read page 3 of the Digital Foundry article.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i read that article. Point out where it says the FMV on the 360 has "serious" issues.

Yes, there is a graphical downgrade, but PS3 fanboys are playing this up way too much. The shot of the FMV on the link gives you a comparison.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/9/9/4/0/4/1/GoodCG_001.jpg.jpg

Now, I like the PS3 -- in fact, if I'm so into these little things, I'm sure it matters, and I'm glad we have a version with a slightly crisper look. That said, the 360 version also runs better in real-time, as the same article you posted says. You can barely tell that difference -- pretty much how a common gamer won't be able to discern the small visual differences.

[quote name='Spokker']Go to YouTube. Open up any HD video and set it to full screen. View it from 3 feet away and then view it from 12 feet away. If you've done that and you can't see how I don't have any issues with the video in FF13, I don't know what to tell you.

At 3 feet from the TV, I can definitely tell the difference between the Xbox 360 version and the PS3 version. At greater distances the distinction is less apparent. The point is that whether we are talking about PS3 and Xbox 360, or Blu-Ray and regular old ass DVD, what equipment you have and how you view the content matters most. Retailers are upselling equipment that people don't need and don't understand and are making a killing.[/QUOTE]

Spokker is absolutely right. That's how I feel about it, too. I like HD as well but these little things don't matter. Just play the game on whichever system you have. The experience is unchanged. Now, I wish I could say one version was better in terms of the substance -- alas, that's not true. :whistle2:(

I don't know, that looks fairly major to me, and that doesn't even show up the artifacts that are apparently common. Doesn't look terrible either though, but for the same price...

I am really tired of bad video on the xbox. I'm assuming it's just a storage issue and not a hardware issue (right? 'cause even if the GPU doesn't have video acceleration (and it might, I don't know), the three CPUs should probably be good enough to decode 720p video?)

While I'm now randomly talking about that, and probably sounding like a fanboy :lol: I feel like the Playstation does better contrast, and I see mipmapping less on it.

It just depends on the game, how much space they use, and how they encode it. Darksiders on 360 has FMV that is as crisp and sharp as you could ask for. Borderlands is another one where the videos are macro-blocked to hell and back.

I just went to the Best Buy on 39th St in Independence, MO and they caught it. :cry:

I thought the guy was going to be cool for a moment and still give it to me since he went on about how he could override it if he wanted to but no dice. :bomb:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It just depends on the game, how much space they use, and how they encode it. Darksiders on 360 has FMV that is as crisp and sharp as you could ask for. Borderlands is another one where the videos are macro-blocked to hell and back.[/QUOTE]

Yup -- the FMV in Darksiders is definitely wonderful. Square-Enix just got lazy on the conversion for FF13, which isn't particularly like them.

I suspect they won't make that mistake when they convert FF Versus (given all the gruff they've gotten over the FF13 conversion). Yeah, I know VS is on PS3-only right now but I'm almost certain it'll be ported to the 360 at least for North America.

The more multi-platform SE goes, the better. While I like the PS3, I actually prefer the 360's controller.

I just realized I am not a reward zone member..How do I get a reward zone membership?
Can I use the "print a replacement card" feauture

[quote name='KratosGOW2525']I just realized I am not a reward zone member..How do I get a reward zone membership?
Can I use the "print a replacement card" feauture[/QUOTE]

I signed up online minutes before I made a trip to the store, just in case. But the cashier never asked me to provide a membership card or anything.

She just scanned the coupon, took my payment, and gave me my receipt. No problem at all.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Yeah, I know VS is on PS3-only right now but I'm almost certain it'll be ported to the 360 at least for North America.

The more multi-platform SE goes, the better.[/QUOTE]
I know I'm pulling for Versus to go multiplatform. Square has been weird about the 360; they give a ton of lip service to the idea of appealing to Western audiences, but their 360 efforts have been unpolished experiments like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant, or somewhat iffy ports like FF13.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I know I'm pulling for Versus to go multiplatform. Square has been weird about the 360; they give a ton of lip service to the idea of appealing to Western audiences, but their 360 efforts have been unpolished experiments like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant, or somewhat iffy ports like FF13.[/QUOTE]
I wonder how much of that was an attempt to compete with Mistwalker. I ended up liking Lost Odyssey much more than Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, and FF13. It was a nice little old school JRPG.

Best buy in Casa Grande, AZ has over 20 copies and sold me three with out a hitch...

So what's the best way to flip these? I'd prefer to take Amazon, Gazelle or someone else for a ride if possible than sell them outright. Thoughts?

[quote name='kryptonic']Best buy in Casa Grande, AZ has over 20 copies and sold me three with out a hitch...

So what's the best way to flip these? I'd prefer to take Amazon, Gazelle or someone else for a ride if possible than sell them outright. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You could go to Walmart and return them. They allow up to 3 returns within 6 months or so with no reciept. They'll just give you a gift card though.

I've done that before and I got chastised by the forums for "fraud"... It's not really fraud since they'll sell it for what it was returned for. Duh.

I'd rather find a trading site to do it through.... In the meantime I have them listed on ebay for 12 (after fee's) profit and I'm the cheapest BIN until I can find another way to move it.

Thanks for the idea though!!!

[quote name='kryptonic']I've done that before and I got chastised by the forums for "fraud"... It's not really fraud since they'll sell it for what it was returned for. Duh.

I'd rather find a trading site to do it through.... In the meantime I have them listed on ebay for 12 (after fee's) profit and I'm the cheapest BIN until I can find another way to move it.

Thanks for the idea though!!![/QUOTE]
can you really do this? from bestbuy to walmart for store credit?

[quote name='romeogbs19']yeah, i read that article. Point out where it says the FMV on the 360 has "serious" issues.

Yes, there is a graphical downgrade, but PS3 fanboys are playing this up way too much. The shot of the FMV on the link gives you a comparison.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/9/9/4/0/4/1/GoodCG_001.jpg.jpg

Now, I like the PS3 -- in fact, if I'm so into these little things, I'm sure it matters, and I'm glad we have a version with a slightly crisper look. That said, the 360 version also runs better in real-time, as the same article you posted says. You can barely tell that difference -- pretty much how a common gamer won't be able to discern the small visual differences. [/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I played both versions recently using a Sony 52" XBR9 TV, both consoles on HDMI, and didnt notice much difference. I dont know maybe it was my eyes, the distance, the TV, whatever.

I did however notice that the 360 plays smoother. I am anal about graphics but I hate FPS chugging more.

So it depends on what is best for you, personally.

What I did notice in the DF article was this telling me that it was sadly mostly due to a lack luster effort by Square:

"This failure is compounded by the fact that Square-Enix hasn't even made full use of all the disk space it has available. Around 1GB of storage is left empty on discs one and two of FFXIII, and you have to wonder why all that empty space couldn't have been repurposed for higher bandwidth encoding. Perhaps it's because of the background loading taking place while the cut-scenes play out, but regardless, the hit to quality using Bink is often unacceptably bad.

Perhaps Square Enix might like to take some cues from the movie industry: top-tier studios employ compressionists whose sole job it is to make movie encodes look as good as they can possibly be within the confines of the disc space available."

This worked at my local Best Buy earlier this week. No hassle, didn't even need the RZ card.

By the way, if any of you have a copy of the @Gamer Magazine from this month you should be able to use the $15 off the Prince of Persia coupon that is inside the issue and get that game for $15 this week since it's on sale for $30. It should be valid on 360 and PS3, but not the Wii. It worked for me, got it on PS3 for $15.

For my local San Jose cag, Best Buy at Curtner worked. Xbox 360 was the only one available though. They are sold out of PS3 versions.

Bought the PS3 version of this game at the Chapman BB store in Orange.
They only had 1 PS3 version left, but about 5, 360 versions left.

I had no problems using the coupon and my RZ certificate.
I just handed everything to the guy, and that was it.

I just forwarded this to one of my friends. I feel really weird if I post these things to my Twitter... too bad for everyone else! :p

Question for those who've played this already. I'd say I'm a medium RPG gamer (I do alright with the classic FF's, was afraid of Fallout 3 but picked it up real quick) and looking at the combat/strategy I'm afraid it's a bit over my head. So would an average RPG gamer find this game fun or frustrating?

To those who have bought the PS3 version recently, is the Registration Card (for FFXIV Beta/Item) still being included in your copies?

Anyone not get the Registration Code?

[quote name='Katiklysm']To those who have bought the PS3 version recently, is the Registration Card (for FFXIV Beta/Item) still being included in your copies?

Anyone not get the Registration Code?[/QUOTE]

My copy came with a code. Don't really know what its for, i think to register the game. I'll try it later.

Anyway this was a good deal, i got it for 16 bucks and change after a $5 dollar reward zone certificate.

This is going to be my first Final fantasy that i'm going to ever play. After hearing reviews i think I'm going to at least enjoy the cinematic cut scenes if not enjoy the game...

[quote name='serge2k']My copy came with a code. Don't really know what its for, i think to register the game. I'll try it later.

Anyway this was a good deal, i got it for 16 bucks and change after a $5 dollar reward zone certificate.

This is going to be my first Final fantasy that i'm going to ever play. After hearing reviews i think I'm going to at least enjoy the cinematic cut scenes if not enjoy the game...[/QUOTE]

Thanks. To you and anyone else with a similar response- did your code look like the one at http://member.square-enix.com/na/features/ff13/serialcode/ , or is it different looking? (More black?)

Yup, my 360 version looked like that. My ps3 version, not so much

When I registered my 360 version @ squareenix, it produced a 360 avatar his and hers suit item code because it was one of the initial prints of the game. My ps3 version got nada.

that reminds me, I still have the hers suit code if any 1 wants to trade other codes for it.

bread's done
Back