Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

awesome list Draekon, any chance of getting the other 3 chars on there? I use Hope & Fang so I'd like a nicely organized chart for them.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']32k CP in 2 minutes + ~1 running back and forth in Chapter 13. You should cap out all 3 major classes + stock 999,999 before you finish the end boss. Farming there for secondary classes is kind of overkill, should do that after you get Growth Egg but it's your call.[/QUOTE]

It may be better to just skip farming 13 and beat the game, grab the Growth Egg from Neochu and then farm the two baddies in Arclyte Steppe near the north exit for 13.2k a pop (after growth egg). Battles take like 11-13 seconds and it takes about 20 seconds to run to approximately between the chocobo/save point to get them to respawn. A little more efficient, but probably less exciting.

However it's probably easier at that point to farm the Adamantortoise mission or just farm Adamantortoise/Adamantoise in general. You'll get 80k CP a pop (with growth egg), but it's slower gain. You'll need to farm them for Gil/Trapezohedrons anyways if you plan to make everyones ultimate weapons or go for trophies.

[quote name='IRHari']awesome list Draekon, any chance of getting the other 3 chars on there? I use Hope & Fang so I'd like a nicely organized chart for them.[/QUOTE]

I'll get them tonight I hope. I've been slacking and doing other stuff. Then tomorrow I'll try and throw up accessories and missions as well as details on the entire thing (like what ranks mean and synthesis groups with their bonuses). If I don't grow tired of it, I may even throw in the dismantle list... but I won't make any promises.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']32k CP in 2 minutes + ~1 running back and forth in Chapter 13. You should cap out all 3 major classes + stock 999,999 before you finish the end boss. Farming there for secondary classes is kind of overkill, should do that after you get Growth Egg but it's your call.[/QUOTE]

Why stock 999,999 CP? This might be a longer Chapter after all.

Right now, I've filled up the last inner circle for every character on every class. I still have to get the ones outside of the circle, though.

[quote name='KingBroly']Why stock 999,999 CP? This might be a longer Chapter after all.

Right now, I've filled up the last inner circle for every character on every class. I still have to get the ones outside of the circle, though.[/QUOTE]

He's just thinking about the post-game. Personally I don't think it's worth it since you're going to end up getting the growth egg anyways if you continue post-game.

I'll just mention that the last Crysterium level that opens up, everything costs 30k per until the later half which costs 60k per.

EDIT: Those numbers of course double on the other three classes you gained last on each character.

How many hours (post game) will it take to max everyone in every class?

I'm wondering if I should try to go farming to get some Haste Shoes (or whatever they're called).

[quote name='KingBroly']How many hours (post game) will it take to max everyone in every class?

I'm wondering if I should try to go farming to get some Haste Shoes (or whatever they're called).[/QUOTE]

You may already have have them and not even know it. I'll spoiler tag this stuff, just in case:

First, know that buffs gained through items only last approximately a minute. Which is shorter than buffs from your party.

Hermes Sandles (Critical HP: Haste) turns into -> Sprint Shoes (Start Battle: Haste)

Dismantling to get them can be done through:

Tetradic Crown -> Hermes Sandles
Tetradic Tiara -> Sprint Shoes

Also, before dismantling... make sure to raise the items level to it's highest level (all of the above max out at level 2 thankfully).

A single mission only gives hermes, but you've probably acquired several Tetradic stuff by now (I have 3 Crowns after turning 2 Tiaras into shoes without farming for them). Also Tetradics are farmable from a mission mob in one of the chapter 11 zones, but I forget which. Though I know the mission stone and the enemy are like 20 feet from each other.

As for the farming? Hell if I know. I could probably be done maxing out all the classes on everybody by now, but I'd rather spend the time trying to slowly farm Adamantoise instead since I'm going to have to do it anyways. More than a couple hours probably since they took out the Ochu trick when they localized it.

I maxed in Chp 13 only because I wanted to blow through most of the Marks one after another. The CP from them and other mobs trickling in (since you can't avoid them) will be enough "grinding" to last you until you start farming turtles.

And yeah, turtles is the way to go for the reasons already stated. You might as well. But get the egg first!

Bah I farmed the shit out of the soldiers in the prison corridors in Ch.9. Fang Hope and Light are all maxed out, I don't even wanna think about how many CP Sazh/Vanille will have in store when I control them.

Think I'm set for the boss of Ch.9? Should I upgrade my weapons a bit first?

[quote name='IRHari']Bah I farmed the shit out of the soldiers in the prison corridors in Ch.9. Fang Hope and Light are all maxed out, I don't even wanna think about how many CP Sazh/Vanille will have in store when I control them.

Think I'm set for the boss of Ch.9? Should I upgrade my weapons a bit first?[/QUOTE]

Weapon upgrading doesn't really need to be done anywhere before chapter 11. Once you hit there, the difficulty starts to jump as you progress further. It's still not really needed past then even, but it certainly helps.

Oh and I finished the weapon chart for tonight: http://draekon.com/ff13/

Too worn out to really continue on with accessories and such right now. Since I'm doing this in php, the page will change slightly so don't worry if everything disappears in the future when you load the page. There will be a link to it somewhere on the page. Unfortunately I didn't use any database to store the data, so the tables won't be sortable by column. I probably should have done it that way, but at this point I'm not going to bother.

[quote name='Draekon']Weapon upgrading doesn't really need to be done anywhere before chapter 11. Once you hit there, the difficulty starts to jump as you progress further. It's still not really needed past then even, but it certainly helps.

Oh and I finished the weapon chart for tonight: http://draekon.com/ff13/

Too worn out to really continue on with accessories and such right now. Since I'm doing this in php, the page will change slightly so don't worry if everything disappears in the future when you load the page. There will be a link to it somewhere on the page. Unfortunately I didn't use any database to store the data, so the tables won't be sortable by column. I probably should have done it that way, but at this point I'm not going to bother.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks for the lists!

Beat the Chapter 9 boss after a couple tries. I tried doing the Sentinel tactic but it just wasn't working for me. Instead I picked two Synergists and buffed the hell outta everyone. Really wasn't all that hard. Used Odin to finish him off, pretty damn epic.

How'd you do that? The Eidolons are pathetically weak
until Chapter 12 when they magically triple their stats for no reason whatsoever

[quote name='Draekon']Too worn out to really continue on with accessories and such right now. Since I'm doing this in php, the page will change slightly so don't worry if everything disappears in the future when you load the page. There will be a link to it somewhere on the page. Unfortunately I didn't use any database to store the data, so the tables won't be sortable by column. I probably should have done it that way, but at this point I'm not going to bother.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to use a database to sort, but can use something like jQuery. If you need any help, let me know and I'd be glad to assist. And thanks for the list Draekon.

And I keep hearing about this "egg". How exactly does it work? Is it a one time use item that gives you 2x your current CP or rather you earn 2x CP per battle?

[quote name='KingBroly']How'd you do that? The Eidolons are pathetically weak
until Chapter 12 when they magically triple their stats for no reason whatsoever
.[/QUOTE]

I had him down to 5% of his life, plus he was in Stagger. Bringing out Odin was simply icing on the cake. He took off that remaining chunk of life rather quick but I will admit the summons have been TP wasters thus far.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']You shouldn't have to use a database to sort, but can use something like jQuery. If you need any help, let me know and I'd be glad to assist. And thanks for the list Draekon.

And I keep hearing about this "egg". How exactly does it work? Is it a one time use item that gives you 2x your current CP or rather you earn 2x CP per battle?[/QUOTE]

I like using databases because it's something I'm familiar with and I've had to create several relational databases before. Using them helps keep me refreshed on their coding and how they work. The java you linked is nice, but I try to stay away from java as much as possible. Not really sure why, probably prejudice due to the abuse of it on the web, whether it be stupidity or malicious intent. I'll keep that link in mind though. (Thinking about it now though, it'd be hard to sort by column since I've set this up in groups)

Almost have accessories done, but probably won't update the page right away.

As for the egg, it's an accessory called Growth Egg that comes from a high end mission. There's a really cheap (but somewhat time consuming method) to obtain it:

Mission 55 - Can't we all just get along?
Mark - Neothu (Upgraded Ochu) w/ 5x Picochu
Mission Loc - "Oerba - Deserted Schoolhouse"
Mark Loc - "Archlyte Steppe - Aggre's Pasture" (Requires Chocobo gained from mission 14 [or was it 15?] to reach)

Method of taking it out:

Vanilla w/ Death Spell & Tier 2 Malboro Wand (Belladonna Upgrade)
Sentinel w/ High HP (9-10k minimum)
Medic (Your best one)

Start the battle (Cannot be pre-emptive) in SYN/SEN/MED and spam death on Neochu until it dies. You're likely to die from its screech when it gets around to it, so just keep retrying.

Things that help death hit are:
- Role level
- Malboro Wand
- Stagger
- +Per Debuff

Once Neochu is dead, just take out the remaining baddies. This may take a while and make sure that you didn't forget to put some kind of offensive paradigm to finish them off. I had forgot to and it took forever because of it.

[quote name='Draekon']I like using databases because it's something I'm familiar with and I've had to create several relational databases before. Using them helps keep me refreshed on their coding and how they work. The java you linked is nice, but I try to stay away from java as much as possible. Not really sure why, probably prejudice due to the abuse of it on the web, whether it be stupidity or malicious intent. I'll keep that link in mind though. (Thinking about it now though, it'd be hard to sort by column since I've set this up in groups)

Almost have accessories done, but probably won't update the page right away.

As for the egg, it's an accessory called Growth Egg that comes from a high end mission. There's a really cheap (but somewhat time consuming method) to obtain it:

Mission 55 - Can't we all just get along?
Mark - Neothu (Upgraded Ochu) w/ 5x Picochu
Mission Loc - "Oerba - Deserted Schoolhouse"
Mark Loc - "Archlyte Steppe - Aggre's Pasture" (Requires Chocobo gained from mission 14 [or was it 15?] to reach)

Method of taking it out:

Vanilla w/ Death Spell & Tier 2 Malboro Wand (Belladonna Upgrade)
Sentinel w/ High HP (9-10k minimum)
Medic (Your best one)

Start the battle (Cannot be pre-emptive) in SYN/SEN/MED and spam death on Neochu until it dies. You're likely to die from its screech when it gets around to it, so just keep retrying.

Things that help death hit are:
- Role level
- Malboro Wand
- Stagger
- +Per Debuff

Once Neochu is dead, just take out the remaining baddies. This may take a while and make sure that you didn't forget to put some kind of offensive paradigm to finish them off. I had forgot to and it took forever because of it.
[/QUOTE]

It's actually javascript. I was just suggesting it since you hadn't used a database. For weapons sorting is probably not as useful since the tables themselves aren't very big.

I was aware that the egg was mission based, I was just confused of its usage. After further searching, it appears it does give 2x CP per battle.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I was aware that the egg was mission based, I was just confused of its usage. After further searching, it appears it does give 2x CP per battle.[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot to answer that question after writing out details on how to get it. My bad. :whistle2:#

Everything in chapter 10 that's not components can be bought from shops.

Also, slight update on the list: http://draekon.com/ff13/

Not complete on synthesis groups and have missions/sidequests/faq to complete. Also a few minor additions to the other sections under notes up top. Probably won't keep the links their current color, just changed it to something more easily readable against the background.

Speaking of fabulous I think I made it to the gayest part of the game...
where Seifer (Snow) is on a knee apologizing for Nora and Tidus Jr. (Hope) is his back, it was such a release for Hope :cry:
But seriously, really enjoying the game thus far.

Thanks for the link Draekon for the weapons, since they seem to be the most confusing part of the game so far.

I just beat the game. Fan-fucking-tastic if you ask me. It took me roughly 55 hours to beat the game. To be honest, a lot of the enemies in the final chapter are a lot tougher than the final boss. Now I only wish they had made an in-game cinema so I could watch all those lovely FMV's by themselves.

Oh, and I got the Superstar Trophy as well. :p

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So, farming turtles for 10 hours got me one trap. I'm.... super happy this this gonna take another 40 hours to platinum. fuckING TURTLES![/QUOTE]

If you make enough money, you can turn one Trap into three for the cost of around 1.5 million gil through upgrading and dismantling. But yeah, I definitely agree that it takes too damned long to farm this shit.

[quote name='Draekon']If you make enough money, you can turn one Trap into three for the cost of around 1.5 million gil through upgrading and dismantling. But yeah, I definitely agree that it takes too damned long to farm this shit.[/QUOTE]

I just need 1 more trap and I'll be fine with farming without this summon crap and recharging TP. My luck with ingots is horrible too, so I'm not exactly enjoying this. And yeah, I have a Kain Lance* already.

Can the final battle be auto battled like the rest of the game? Outside of switching paradigms, everything is done for you automatically so far.

[quote name='redshadow']Can the final battle be auto battled like the rest of the game? Outside of switching paradigms, everything is done for you automatically so far.[/QUOTE]

Switching paradigms gets a lot more intense as the game continues. Boss fights are hardly "auto battled." The feature that automatically strings your attacks together is so that you have time to choose between paradigms at a rapid pace.

Some fights are a bit routine and boring though, I'll admit.

@J7.
lol nice find bro. I think a LOT of us know that other reviewers don't actually finish games they end up giving bad reviews to (WKC comes to mind). This is great that there is indisputable evidence that he didn't finish it. Reminds me of shipwreck's ME2 review.

These people complaining about how the game takes 30 hours to get good... Like wtf were you expecting from a JRPG, or a FF game for that matter. These things take 100+ hours to complete, who the fuck cares if it takes a while to ramp up. Eternal Sonata was even worse, the game wasn't "good" until the second playthrough... And look what that game got... 8s (which is overrated but yeah).

It's like these people have never played RPGs before. You are a complete dumbass if this sort of thing is a surprise to you. What was FFVII but spamming Limit Breaks and queuing Attack until you got Bahamut Zero, KotR, and Mime? You spend 50+ hours to get to the point where you're a badass and own everything. That's satisfaction enough for the first 30 "slow" hours imo. But whatever.

Low review scores = publicity for the site, I mean who really is the smart one here :)

FFXIII is a very unique RPG and it's linear design is bound to turn off a lot of players. But while games like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age get high marks for their open ended nature (high marks they often deserve), reviewers forget that there are gamers out there who really like having a story that's easy to get excited about rather than being placed in a world to get lost in.

Let's face it, you couldn't have the adventure that the one FFXIII provided if you gave the player an open world. What Square did with this game they did very well, whether or not it creates a riff between players or not. The real flaws of this game weren't even mentioned in the reviews I've read, instead the writer was too focused on ripping the game's linear design and adding their own sly remarks regarding the style of the characters.

Anyways, I wanted to mention something about the ending:

Someone finally uploaded all the parts of the ending in English for us to re-watch. I have to say, once you got used to the corny nature of the dialogue, the tale this game tells is truly beautiful.

Lightning's pre-final boss speech literally almost made me drop a tear. It starts after the 2:00 if you want to hear it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bGwUiK7rVA

[quote name='J7.']Proof that Jim Sterling didn't even finish FF XIII despite granting it a 4 out of 10 review. http://dualshockers.com/2010/03/17/what-exactly-is-jim-sterling-reviewing-not-much-apparently/[/QUOTE]

It's not even the first time Jim Sterling has reviewed something he hasn't finished.

To be fair, I doubt most reviewers finish games, because I've found a number of faults in many IGN reviews as well which seems like they only played a game to 50% completion.

If there is one thing I like about Kotaku, it's that they tell you at the end of their reviews on what difficulty they finished, how much MP they played, what additional stuff they did.. things like that.

Many of their reviews are late, only because they make sure to finish them - I think they still don't have an FF 13 review up yet.

I for one have just given up on "professional video game reviewers" altogether.

I don't understand why anyone is mad about Jim Sterling's review. Have you guys ever read any of Jim Sterling's posts on Destructoid? He is nothing but a paid troll, he always does "editorials" that are nothing but well written flamebait.

I personally have never taken any of Jim Sterling's posts let alone his reviews serious, let alone his FFXIII review. I was wondering if he was playing the same game I was playing after his first paragraph;
[quote name='Jim Sterling']Final Fantasy XIII has perhaps one of the worst introductions a Japanese RPG has ever had. Square Enix thought it would be a good idea to not tell the player what is happening, and as a result, the first ten hours of the game feels like a conversation that the player has stumbled in on halfway through. All the characters know what's going on, and talk as if the player should know, leading to a very alienating narrative that ensures the player never truly connects with it. When you finally do work out who is who and what's going on, however, you'll wish the game had stayed so vague.[/QUOTE]
Did Jim bother to look at the Datalog even once? I thought FFXIII gave way more information on back story and what was happening than nearly every other Final Fantasy game. I know that reading the Datalog is optional but Jim is bitching is silly because SE gave us almost an overwhelming amount of info in the first 10 hours.

After the first paragraph I took the rest of the review with a grain of salt. Everyone doesn't have to like the same games I like, hell there is a long list of high score games that I couldn't play more then a few hours of.

[quote name='animalspinners']

I for one have just given up on "professional video game reviewers" altogether.[/QUOTE]
This is why I love Giant Bomb and their quick looks, sure they take 30 minutes or more to watch but in that 30 minutes I can get a better understanding if the game is for me or not than reading 10 different reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']FFXIII is a very unique RPG and it's linear design is bound to turn off a lot of players. But while games like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age get high marks for their open ended nature (high marks they often deserve), reviewers forget that there are gamers out there who really like having a story that's easy to get excited about rather than being placed in a world to get lost in.

Let's face it, you couldn't have the adventure that the one FFXIII provided if you gave the player an open world. What Square did with this game they did very well, whether or not it creates a riff between players or not. The real flaws of this game weren't even mentioned in the reviews I've read, instead the writer was too focused on ripping the game's linear design and adding their own sly remarks regarding the style of the characters.

Anyways, I wanted to mention something about the ending:

Someone finally uploaded all the parts of the ending in English for us to re-watch. I have to say, once you got used to the corny nature of the dialogue, the tale this game tells is truly beautiful.

Lightning's pre-final boss speech literally almost made me drop a tear. It starts after the 2:00 if you want to hear it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bGwUiK7rVA
[/QUOTE]

I shed a tear or two during X, but I just wasn't too drawn in by XIII's story. It was epic and very pretty, but it just wasn't delivered in a convincing fashion. It's not hard for a tear-jerker anime to bring me to tears... FMA (not a tear jerker but anyways!), Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad, Toradora... yeah the list goes on. I don't know, maybe I blew through it too fast or something, but XIII's story didn't grab me (neither did Heavy Rain at all).

The whole Sterling thing, I'm skeptical (not that I'm a fan of his) but there are 1. debug units which don't sync with "live" PSN/XBL accounts 2. he may review on a different account, etc... I wouldn't take the article to mean 100% fact: he didn't play through the whole game but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised. If he had gotten retail copy for review or a preview build, don't know. Don't really care either :/

The page I've been working on is nearly finished, anybody have any ideas on what stuff I should add to the F.A.Q. section or to improve the rest of it in any way?

A generic boss walkthrough (or 'tough battles') tips would be useful.

What I would like to see is how much exp is needed per upgrade. I understand that'd be pretty time consuming but it'd be useful for ppl who are upgrading.

great page though, thanks brah.

Just started tonight played about 3 hrs... pretty good.. it is linear, but whatever...The graphics are amazing and i have a feeling this will be a great story

[quote name='spoo']Did Jim bother to look at the Datalog even once? I thought FFXIII gave way more information on back story and what was happening than nearly every other Final Fantasy game. I know that reading the Datalog is optional but Jim is bitching is silly because SE gave us almost an overwhelming amount of info in the first 10 hours. [/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty amusing that he'd apparently never heard of the concept of in medias res. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks of Lost.

[quote name='johnmirra']16 hours in and loving it so far not missing the towns or "open world" at all[/QUOTE]

This is a shame.

Apparently Versus will have an open world, and an airship you can fly in. It's already sounding more like Final Fantasy than any of the past 4 games have been since 9.

[quote name='redshadow']This is a shame.

Apparently Versus will have an open world, and an airship you can fly in. It's already sounding more like Final Fantasy than any of the past 4 games have been since 9.[/QUOTE]

X, X-2, XI, XII and now XIII.

Why don't you just give up? You're not going to find the same games you played on your PS1.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Mission 54. :lol:
Only to get my ass promptly kicked by 10,000 needles.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah he kinda of rapes if you're not prepared... (read: Deceptisol + Bravera/Kain Lance/Highwind! :p)

The F.A.Q. section you could probably give a few tips about which weapons are good for what scenarios, i.e. Mallboro Wand for Death spamming, Lionheart for insta-stagger coupled w/ ATB+% accessories, etc...

Also people seem to be retarded and can't decide which base weapon to use for the ultimates, you could probably just tell them.

Lightning: http://ff13.in/56.html
Sazh: http://ff13.in/58.html
Snow: http://ff13.in/57.html
Hope: http://ff13.in/60.html
Vanille: http://ff13.in/59.html
Fang: http://ff13.in/61.html

Those are the stats for everyone's weapons and how much it takes to go from base/min level to * each one. Site is in Japanese, and some of the stats are copy-pasted wrong (or they changed them from the Japanese release, no clue) but the Exp values are correct, just line them up with the order they appear in the guide. (Left-most weapon for Lightning is the first one on the Japanese site, and so on).

Can't seem to find a list for accessories and how much it takes to max them out.
----
New marks become unlocked as you complete the ones that are available to you. If you can't find any more either 1. you missed one, or 2.
there are some that require you to beat Bart in Oerba
. You should keep going until Chapter 13 then waypoint back to Pulse, you'll have a lot more options then and be able to do most of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a Mark mission in Oerba on top of the deserted schoolhouse near the end. It's to kill a Neochu, depending on if your party is strong enough or not you could stick with SAB/SEN/MED and Death spam with Vanille.

Either way you sort of need a SEN since the little adds beat the shit outta you.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Those are the stats for everyone's weapons and how much it takes to go from base/min level to * each one. Site is in Japanese, and some of the stats are copy-pasted wrong (or they changed them from the Japanese release, no clue) but the Exp values are correct, just line them up with the order they appear in the guide. (Left-most weapon for Lightning is the first one on the Japanese site, and so on).[/QUOTE]

If you're comparing base stats, it's because the ones listed are their level 1 equivalent on my page, but their max match up. When you upgrade a weapon to the next tier, it's not back down to level 1. I may just remove the Min columns all together.

I could also get the exp required to max accessories on my own, but it's not something I especially look forward to since there's no damned quick load. I've already put way more time into this than I thought I would and since I'm not using a database of any type, I'm up to 5200+ lines of code (I prefer to hand code). ~_~

We'll see though. Right now I need to write a cisco routing command guide for a friend and send him some pre-made networks in packet tracer.

I was talking about the Japanese site and the min values they use for the weapons, not your page. Was just giving you a heads up if you were gonna use the Exp needed to max from there and were confused as to which entry = which weapon.

bread's done
Back