Flip Successes and Flip Flops

[quote name='spamfree2']Document of Metal Gear Solid - $4.99 at GS if you can find it.

It normally sells for $20-40 depending if it is complete . Not a bad flip if you can find some in your area. OOS on the website.[/quote]

Yeah, I know! A couple were showing up in my area for quite some time, but I could never find the damn things. I actually wanted one for my MGS collection, but flipping the others wouldn't have been bad!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, I know! A couple were showing up in my area for quite some time, but I could never find the damn things. I actually wanted one for my MGS collection, but flipping the others wouldn't have been bad![/quote]what do you mean they were showing up and you couldnt find them

They were showing up on the GameStop online in-store locator, but they weren't actually in the store. Usually means some employee is either is hiding it or walked off with it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They were showing up on the GameStop online in-store locator, but they weren't actually in the store. Usually means some employee is either is hiding it or walked off with it.[/quote]

Yup - BOY do I hate that and the wild goose chases that result from them.

You basically have to go to the store and actually check for the items in a lot of these cases, because if you call ahead, in a lot of cases you could end up tipping an employee off to a mini goldmine they would otherwise be unaware of. They catch wind of their store having some rare/high value item and POOF it's gone.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They were showing up on the GameStop online in-store locator, but they weren't actually in the store. Usually means some employee is either is hiding it or walked off with it.[/QUOTE]

Had that happen to me once... it was with a copy of NCAA Basketball 2K3 for the GameCube. It showed up on the store locator, I went there to go get it but couldn't find it. I asked one of the clerks and he said they didn't have it.

Then another clerk said something along the lines of 'Hey, isn't that it right there' as he pointed to something under the counter. The clerk I originally approached gave him an angry stare and said, 'No, that was a different game. It was NCAA Football 2K3.'

I just left then and there. On the plus side, the guy was fired after a few weeks.

^If I were you, I asked what game was under the counter.

It's probably just me, but I love it if I can catch a liar in the act.

[quote name='addicted2games']I would have just said "then I'll take NCAA Football 2K3 please" and see what he pulls out from under the counter.[/quote]

:applause: Brilliant!

[quote name='addicted2games']I would have just said "then I'll take NCAA Football 2K3 please" and see what he pulls out from under the counter.[/quote]
hahahaha so true, this would have been great

[quote name='Vinny']Had that happen to me once... it was with a copy of NCAA Basketball 2K3 for the GameCube. It showed up on the store locator, I went there to go get it but couldn't find it. I asked one of the clerks and he said they didn't have it.

Then another clerk said something along the lines of 'Hey, isn't that it right there' as he pointed to something under the counter. The clerk I originally approached gave him an angry stare and said, 'No, that was a different game. It was NCAA Football 2K3.'

I just left then and there. On the plus side, the guy was fired after a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

That happened to me with Valkyrie Profile about 5 years ago, I ended up getting the game after refusing to leave without it.

I got lucky today and found a mint condition PS2 Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (with cd) at my local gamestop for $32 of store credit. Bonus is that I returned 2 $54.99 games and a $17.99 game from the horde I bought for the b2g1f and he gave me full credit (~$130) because I'd forgotten my receipt. He was able to see that they sold them on the day I told him.

I remember buying a black label copy of Castlevania: SOTN from "under the counter" during the 75% off PS1 game clearance. I could see it there and asked the current employee if it was for sale. He couldn't see why not, so I got it for 3 dollars and change :)

My state has a law that makes the GS stores (and pawn shops) hold all games for about 3 weeks before letting them sell them. That has played havoc on me when I see something in stock online only to be told that it just got traded in and it won't be available for sale for 10 days. I was patient though and landed a mint complete copy of NCAA 2K3 for the Gamecube a couple months ago after it had been listed on the website as in stock for what seemed like forever.

[quote name='Josef']I remember buying a black label copy of Castlevania: SOTN from "under the counter" during the 75% off PS1 game clearance. I could see it there and asked the current employee if it was for sale. He couldn't see why not, so I got it for 3 dollars and change :)

My state has a law that makes the GS stores (and pawn shops) hold all games for about 3 weeks before letting them sell them. That has played havoc on me when I see something in stock online only to be told that it just got traded in and it won't be available for sale for 10 days. I was patient though and landed a mint complete copy of NCAA 2K3 for the Gamecube a couple months ago after it had been listed on the website as in stock for what seemed like forever.[/quote]

What state is that?

Same bullshit happened to me today, in store locator showed a Network adapter showed up in store, so I called (store was a lil bit of a drive away). Employee said (with no hesitation) yeah we have one but its in the defective box. I then said that I am an electrician and would love the chance to buy it and try to fix it (since I knew the bastard was lying)...he said no.

Yeah, this is one of the many reasons I laugh when people say they want GameStop to hire "gamers." If the employee doesn't know anything about gaming, they are less likely to hide shit that is worth flipping.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, this is one of the many reasons I laugh when people say they want GameStop to hire "gamers." If the employee doesn't know anything about gaming, they are less likely to hide shit that is worth flipping.[/quote]

Not 100% true. The employees at my local Play N Trade are all hardcore gamers, and I always find incredible deals on rare games there all the time. They also all know that I resell them on eBay, they just tell me that they're too lazy to do it themselves.

Well, I really don't see how that makes my statement any less true. I didn't say all gamers are going to hide or steal stuff. Just saying that if employees don't know anything about the gaming world, they are less likely to do it. If you don't know about the market for, say, copies of MvC2, you aren't gonna bother to hide them.

You don't need to be Michael Bloomberg to understand, "I can buy 'x' product for 'y' dollars and make up 'z' dollars profit." All you need to be is semi-conscious. The point I was making is, if you're into the gaming community, you likely know that a certain item is worth a lot more on, say, eBay, than GS is selling it for, like Wii Sports (until they jacked it up) or the network adapters for the GameCube or PS2. It doesn't take great initiative to say, "Hmmm, maybe I should buy this and turn a profit."

How are you guys typing in PS2 Network adapter in Gamestop.com. Every variation I try gets me nowhere. I actually want one of these things and want to see if any of my local gamestops have them.

[quote name='omg itz adam']who would honestly buy those adapters[/quote]

Well, for one, there are still games being released on the PS2. Also, you need the network adapter to use the harddrive, and the harddrive can be used to "enhance" the PS2. So, because Sony cut production a long time ago, they go for a decent price on the second-hand market.

Yeah, I see them go for between $40 and $50 on eBay. Of course, they are another item that mysteriously disappeared at local GameStops when I noticed a couple showing up in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Arakias']i would guess if you can use the 10% off coupon with edge card you would be doing decently with these if you can trade in the ps2 right back.
TIV should be $30 according to this thread. plus that game as well.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215713[/quote]

You can never use the coupon or edge when it comes to systems. And I'm not sure if they will take the PS2 back since it will be missing a cover flap on the back (where the network adapter goes). Has anyone traded in one without the flap before?

[quote name='Doomstink']Spitting up a PS2 + Network adapter sounds like it would be pretty painful. I don't know how someone would consume the combo in the first place, let alone spit it up. ;)[/quote]

It's pretty painless...

Hey Doomstink, whatever happened to that "secret" flip you were talking about? You were going to tell us once you cleaned out your local stores...well?

Inquiring minds want to know!

My local Wal-mart had twenty some odd rock revelution bundles for 2 bucks a piece, i bought 18 and traded them into around 14 different ebgames and playntrades and got over 200 dollars credit

For those of you who are looking for network adapters and are "missing" when you go to the store it's most likely because they are in the back. I was told by GS employees that when they can't be found, but they are in stock it is because they are most likely attached to some PS2 system in the back.

And speaking of adapters... One just showed up at a local GS. :)

[quote name='spamfree2']It's pretty painless...[/QUOTE]

its painful in the sense that you have to sell the ps2, not that actual process of removing the network adapter.

[quote name='RandyTsai']its painful in the sense that you have to sell the ps2, not that actual process of removing the network adapter.[/quote]
What would be painful is to "Spit" up not "Split"

[quote name='spamfree2']
If you can't find the PS2 Network adapter alone, you could also pick up the PS2 + network adapter combo at gamestop. Spit it up or if you need/want a PS2. Sell the network adapter to reduce the price of the PS2.

[/quote]

[quote name='Doomstink']Spitting up a PS2 + Network adapter sounds like it would be pretty painful. I don't know how someone would consume the combo in the first place, let alone spit it up. ;)[/quote]

[quote name='spamfree2']It's pretty painless...[/quote]

[quote name='RandyTsai']i don't get it[/quote]

When he posted the first sentence, he misspelled the word split. Instead he put "spit".
Then deeomstink "made fun of/ pointed out" by saying that it would be hard to "Spit" it up since it is larger than your throat/mouth, and how did you swallow it in the first place.

Hope I explained it right

[quote name='BarbblerElf'] and how did you swallow it in the first place.
[/quote]

I've got this one covered, it wasn't swallowed. They were doing a gastric bypass surgery and the surgeon accidentally left it.

*sigh*

Well with the 20% off GS coupon this week, nows a good time to pick up any NHL 07 floating around, also for whatever reason Pocket Pool for PSP also seems like a viable flip.

[quote name='omg itz adam']the last three post are exactly why we created a group.[/quote]

What, you guys have no sense of humor? ;)

[quote name='karkyco']Hey Doomstink, whatever happened to that "secret" flip you were talking about? You were going to tell us once you cleaned out your local stores...well?

Inquiring minds want to know![/quote]

PM'd

I was also curious lol.

Zoids Battle Legends for Gamecube

Also if your waiting to pick up one of the xbox flips, don't forget that Gamestop will never be taking regular xbox games in as trades again. So once its gone its gone (or over at your local pawn shop).

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I was also curious lol.

Zoids Battle Legends for Gamecube

Also if your waiting to pick up one of the xbox flips, don't forget that Gamestop will never be taking regular xbox games in as trades again. So once its gone its gone (or over at your local pawn shop).[/quote]

To that point, what xbox games are worth grabbing out in the wild for now or future flip possibilities?

bread's done
Back