Folding@Home in 1.6

Sony is so arrogant... how [dare] they try to use their technology in ways that help people, rather than just for entertainment.

[quote name='Thomas96']Sony is so arrogant... how [dare] they try to use their technology in ways that help people, rather than just for entertainment.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am mad that my PS3 came with a controller. I wanted just the system and to pretend to play games by pulling out my chest hairs.

[quote name='dallow']Wait, what is this about? I can't open it at work.[/quote]

To sum it up, at Stanford they are using PS3's connected via a network to help with cancer and disease research since the cell processor is 10x faster than most processor in a mainstream PC.

Hmm, yeah, I read part of it at another site.

You can't play games or watch movies while it's running though.
But eh, I'm actually playing my Wii right now, I guess I can help out.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']To sum it up, at Stanford they are using PS3's connected via a network to help with cancer and disease research since the cell processor is 10x faster than most processor in a mainstream PC.[/QUOTE]

At least someone is buying them, Sony must be so happy.

It is interesting that they managed to get Sony to add this to the XMB. Guess this will be in an update for all. Should be interesting thing to try out and see what it looks like. I guess there is always that helping part of it as well... :)

Yes, it is odd that it's actually part of the XMB, that's pretty major.

I would think it'd be just a little program you can run from the Games menu.

That is really interesting..

And I dont get it at all..

But cool...

So what is it? A computer simulation that shows how cancer occurs but it takes 1 year to do? Im so confused...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']That is really interesting..

And I dont get it at all..

But cool...

So what is it? A computer simulation that shows how cancer occurs but it takes 1 year to do? Im so confused...[/quote]

I believe it uses processors to do equations to help find a cure for cancer.

Folding@Home is basically a program that allows them to run this program on your computer and send info back once it has completed whatever it does. It's just a program you can install on your computer and it uses it while you do whatever. Think of it as a supercomputer spread throughout the world, designed to help find cures for various diseases.

[quote name='dallow']Yes, it is odd that it's actually part of the XMB, that's pretty major.

I would think it'd be just a little program you can run from the Games menu.[/QUOTE]I really wish they could add something stupid and pointless to their main menu, like a voting channel or something.

i know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but i don't care.

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']i know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but i don't care.

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/QUOTE]

It's for a good cause, and it is also optional. You shouldn't be rewarded for this.

This is also available for PCs as well. Kind of better on the PC, as it runs in the background, so you can run it while doing your normal PC'ing.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']i know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but i don't care.

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/quote]
I hope there was a dog nearby for you to kick as you pressed the "submit reply" button.

I just read this on http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4937&Itemid=2 and was going to post!

This is so incredible this is being done. I hope everyone on here is already running it on their PCs (or two copies if you have a dual core CPU...)

From what I understand about the Playstation 3 client, it's similar to the PC GPU client. It's much much faster at some types of work than even a Core 2, but it's not really able to do all types of work like a good general purpose CPU can. I think they already try to send out work units that your particular CPU is good at, and maybe if tons of PS3s are out there doing work, they'll be able to specialize even more.

Only bad thing is of course that it doesn't run in the background like the PC version. I haven't turned that off on any of my computers since 2002 when I first started folding.

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, this is a phenomenal thing. Sony isn't getting paid for it (aside from the good will of allowing a Folding client on the PS3), and I'm sure they've provided support to the Folding project to help them with the PS3 client.

Folding @ Home has already resulted in peer reviewed scientific papers on cancer and other diseases. It's already showing promise. Get it on your PC!

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/quote]

I hope you get cancer. :roll:

So helping people out of the good-will of your heart is being a tool? And potentially helping people be cured of cancer and save their lives is a horrible thing and being a tool? And doing something good without being given a reward, man why would you do that? Geezus christ man, Sony is one of the most lucrative and biggest companies in the country, and is just trying to help out. Even if they get a little tax write-off or w/e, whoop-de-do, they still offered it and still took the time to put the link in their XMB.

Are you a top MNC that manufactures highly advanced processors that go into high tech gaming machines which sell to millions of people? then shut the fuck up.

THE PAY COMES WHEN YOU GET ASS-CANCER AND THEY HAVE THE CURE FOR YOU BECAUSE YOUR PS3 DISCOVERED THE FOLDING PATTERN FOR IT. But since you are too stingy to give up a few cents of electricity, enjoy your ass cancer.

i love the awesome retorts. since when did gamers become passionate humanitarians? and i thought most gamers were selfish pricks. lol. we have such master debaters here with their awesome responses.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']So helping people out of the good-will of your heart is being a tool? And potentially helping people be cured of cancer and save their lives is a horrible thing and being a tool? And doing something good without being given a reward, man why would you do that? Geezus christ man, Sony is one of the most lucrative and biggest companies in the country, and is just trying to help out. Even if they get a little tax write-off or w/e, whoop-de-do, they still offered it and still took the time to put the link in their XMB.[/quote]
tax write-off? yeah right. sony's gonna get paid cold hard cash for every step along the way. from the initial install on all ps3 xmb, every hour completed/ever console running it/every X amount of protein info completed, a cut of any money that will come from it.

oh wait, i forgot. ALL pharmaceutical companies produce drugs out of the goodness of their hearts knowing they're helping people. honestly. are you most of you that ignorant? what's the old saying. there's money in dying.

i for one applaude sony.:applause: they just figured out a new monetary venue by installing a simple program on the playstation 3. and the great thing is they have you all feeling so great about it you won't even stop to take an objective look at it.

that's another valuable point i don't think most of you don't realize. they're installing this software without consent. i was under the initial impression this was going to be completely optional. i would have to go to some internet link or to the playstation store to download the necessary software. looks like sony is saving me the hassle and automatically installing it on my device for me. who's to say they won't take it a step further huh? maybe have the program run mandatory in the background when i'm listening to music, playing blu-ray or dvds, playing downloadable games without the user even knowing? might as well right.

you guys are teh samrt:applause:

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']tax write-off? yeah right. sony's gonna get paid cold hard cash for every step along the way. from the initial install on all ps3 xmb, every hour completed/ever console running it/every X amount of protein info completed, a cut of any money that will come from it.

oh wait, i forgot. ALL pharmaceutical companies produce drugs out of the goodness of their hearts knowing they're helping people. honestly. are you most of you that ignorant? what's the old saying. there's money in dying.

i for one applaude sony.:applause: they just figured out a new monetary venue by installing a simple program on the playstation 3. and the great thing is they have you all feeling so great about it you won't even stop to take an objective look at it.

that's another valuable point i don't think most of you don't realize. they're installing this software without consent. i was under the initial impression this was going to be completely optional. i would have to go to some internet link or to the playstation store to download the necessary software. looks like sony is saving me the hassle and automatically installing it on my device for me. who's to say they won't take it a step further huh? maybe have the program run mandatory in the background when i'm listening to music, playing blu-ray or dvds, playing downloadable games without the user even knowing? might as well right.

you guys are teh samrt:applause:[/quote]
If you don't want to run it, don't jackass. You're the one that bought their system with their firmware, deal with it. Don't upgrade to 1.6 if you feel this is such a crime against all humanity. This is a good thing for scientific progress. By placing this right at your initial login screen or whatever it is (I don't own a PS3) Sony spreads awareness about the Folding@Home project. Frankly I don't give a damn who profits from this, the bottom line is this WILL benefit research. If you don't think that's a good thing, I don't know what to tell you.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']tax write-off? yeah right. sony's gonna get paid cold hard cash for every step along the way. from the initial install on all ps3 xmb, every hour completed/ever console running it/every X amount of protein info completed, a cut of any money that will come from it.

you guys are teh samrt:applause:[/quote]

Because you know Stanford and Sony are pharmaceutical companies.... And how do you that sony is definitly being paid for doing this? You don't. And if this thing was randomly running in your background without your consent, you would know it as it takes up all the system resources.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Because you know Stanford and Sony are pharmaceutical companies.... And how do you that sony is definitly being paid for doing this? You don't. And if this thing was randomly running in your background without your consent, you would know it as it takes up all the system resources.[/quote]

Actually... on the PC it only takes up your idle resources. You should give the PC client a try.

you guys are teh samrt:applause:[/QUOTE]

Damn Sony! They should stop making games too. Those games bring them nothing but profit!! How dare they!

This Sony hate is getting a little out of hand. I don't see how anyone could bash Sony for this, but, somehow, we have a couple who found a way. Props guys!

you guys are teh samrt:applause:[/QUOTE]

can we say "trust issues"? I'm sure it's not going to run automatically without an option to turn it off smart guy. even then, there's a probably a way to regulate how much power it's using, just like the PC version (which i sometimes run...)

anyway, enjoy ur ass cancer. and enjoy the battle against medical progress..it'll surely win you friends, fame, and fortune.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Actually... on the PC it only takes up your idle resources. You should give the PC client a try.[/quote]

"The voluntary program is free but needs to run on its own - i.e. no background experiments.

"I think that we'll probably never do" downloads "while you're playing a game," Marks said. "When we're running this, we want all out computation involved with this."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772947p1.html

From the Folding@home article on IGN.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']"The voluntary program is free but needs to run on its own - i.e. no background experiments.

"I think that we'll probably never do" downloads "while you're playing a game," Marks said. "When we're running this, we want all out computation involved with this."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772947p1.html

From the Folding@home article on IGN.[/quote]

Yeah I understand how it works... Although I think it probably would have been better if it worked like the PC client. (Reroutes all processing loud from system idle process). Maybe it was too complicated to code it that way for PS3?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Yeah I understand how it works... Although I think it probably would have been better if it worked like the PC client. (Reroutes all processing loud from system idle process). Maybe it was too complicated to code it that way for PS3?[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert, but it seems like it could make the system to hang while you're playing. It occasionally does that with my laptop, even with a gb of ram and not too much else running.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not an expert, but it seems like it could make the system to hang while you're playing. It occasionally does that with my laptop, even with a gb of ram and not too much else running.[/quote]

Using only idle priority? On my PC, the command line client barely uses any resources at all.. and the GUI client (the one I use now) uses few. The performance hit from the actual client isn't noticable. However, if you change priority from idle to low then yea.. I can see performance taking a hit. I think the PS3 can handle light folding + game playing though.

If you want to see it in action and learn a little more about Folding@ Home, it was demonstrated on On the Spot (3/15/07 show, 15 minutes in).

Details:
-It's a 40 MB download.
-You can manipulate the protein you see while running it (rotating, zoom in and out)
-You can see a map of the world to see where people are running the program.
-You can go to the official Folding@ Home site, set up teams, and try to get on the high score list.
-Uses 5 SPUs in parallel, so game playing isn't possible.
-Can be set to run in "auto-start" mode where after the system is left idle on the XMB for 10-20 minutes, the program will automatically startup and when you want to play a game or do something else, it'll stop running so you can do whatever you want.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you want to see it in action and learn a little more about Folding@ Home, it was demonstrated on On the Spot (3/15/07 show, 15 minutes in).

Details:
-It's a 40 MB download.
-You can manipulate the protein you see while running it (rotating, zoom in and out)
-You can go to the official Folding@ Home site, set up teams, and try to get on the high score list.
-Can be set to run in "auto-start" mode where after the system is left idle on the XMB for 10-20 minutes, the program will automatically startup and when you want to play a game or do something else, it'll stop running so you can do whatever you want.[/quote]

Hmm, not bad. I expected it to be featureless.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you want to see it in action and learn a little more about Folding@ Home, it was demonstrated on On the Spot (3/15/07 show, 15 minutes in).

Details:
-It's a 40 MB download.
-Can be set to run in "auto-start" mode where after the system is left idle on the XMB for 10-20 minutes, the program will automatically startup and when you want to play a game or do something else, it'll stop running so you can do whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Would it be able to run while just using the XMB or watching a movie? If not, I probably won't be using this too much, as my PS3 doesn't go into 'idle' at all.

[quote name='dpatel']Would it be able to run while just using the XMB or watching a movie? If not, I probably won't be using this too much, as my PS3 doesn't go into 'idle' at all.[/quote]

Nope, can't watch a movie. Can't do anything really.
Yeah, as much as I'd like to help. My PS3 only goes from Game, to Movie, to off.

Ah well. The PC works fine for me. Hopefully some will get use out of this. I may just use some of the features like viewing the map, or watching the protein folding in action.

[quote name='dpatel']Would it be able to run while just using the XMB or watching a movie? If not, I probably won't be using this too much, as my PS3 doesn't go into 'idle' at all.[/quote]
You can either run it from the XMB or you can have it run when it's idle. I don't think there's any other way to really run it.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Using only idle priority? On my PC, the command line client barely uses any resources at all.. and the GUI client (the one I use now) uses few. The performance hit from the actual client isn't noticable. However, if you change priority from idle to low then yea.. I can see performance taking a hit. I think the PS3 can handle light folding + game playing though.[/QUOTE]

I probably just need to set it lower, I had it running half of it's full power and it was slow.

[quote name='Apossum']I probably just need to set it lower, I had it running half of it's full power and it was slow.[/quote]

I think mine is set with default controls. The first option between lowest possible (only idle) and slightly higher is what I was talking about in my previous post. The next option is just how much of your CPU you want F@H to use... The only reason I can see not using all of it is when either your CPU gets too hot or you're using the slighly higher option and need to modify exactly what's going on.

I have no idea WTF this is.

If I run this on my PS3, how is this helping at all? What IS it doing? Why can't this be done on a single computer?

remember that one thread about some professor at some university putting together 8 ps3's to form some crazy super computer for some ...i dunno what they're using it for, but just take that, multiply by the number of ps3's out there, and voila...insta-cure for cancer! sort of...

as i understand it it's just churning out numbers and equations and other good scientifically useful stuff in an attempt to discover some kind of cure for cancer

[quote name='imascrub']remember that one thread about some professor at some university putting together 8 ps3's to form some crazy super computer for some ...i dunno what they're using it for, but just take that, multiply by the number of ps3's out there, and voila...insta-cure for cancer! sort of...

as i understand it it's just churning out numbers and equations and other good scientifically useful stuff in an attempt to discover some kind of cure for cancer[/QUOTE]

Oh...So I let my PS3 running and it will someone go through all the mathmatical equations to eventually cure cancer? Pass, Sony, Pass.

I can't wait for the sticker on all PS3s that read "Buy a PS3 and YOU can help CURE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I guess I don't even get a wristband.

[quote name='gizmogc']Oh...So I let my PS3 running and it will someone go through all the mathmatical equations to eventually cure cancer? Pass, Sony, Pass.

I can't wait for the sticker on all PS3s that read "Buy a PS3 and YOU can help CURE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I guess I don't even get a wristband.[/quote]

You mean you've never heard of these folding programs for PCs?
It's kinda interesting to see it on a console but ehhh. I don't want to leave my console on.

Maybe one night a week. Eh... maybe not.

bread's done
Back