Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

Im still confused about this. Do I have to be inside the Folding@Home program for it to run, or does it do it automatically with spare cycles as long as Im using my ps3?

You can set the program to start when your PS3 is idle, but the program does need to be running for it to do any work.

[quote name='mr ryles']how long does it usually take for you guys to do a work unit? Mine is like 8 hours or so.[/quote]

I'm assuming roughly the same here. I've completed 5 so far, and am working on #6 as I'm typing this.

Hey guys,

don't forget to change your donor name as well to whatever you want your name to be. The default is PS3 and checking out the CAG team status I see that user PS3 already has 3 work units ;)

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Hey guys,

don't forget to change your donor name as well to whatever you want your name to be. The default is PS3 and checking out the CAG team status I see that user PS3 already has 3 work units ;)[/QUOTE]

thanks, I did't know you could change it.. just joined the team and my donor name.

Joined. Isn't this program supposed to run in the background while your using your PS3? I did that for a bit but my progress didn't change?

[quote name='Nutts']Joined. Isn't this program supposed to run in the background while your using your PS3? I did that for a bit but my progress didn't change?[/quote]

No it has to be running. It can be set to come on automatically though after your system has been idle for certain amounts of times. *pimps info video*

[quote name='sandrokstar']joined up. i wish i knew a little bit more on how this helps, but i'm running it anyhow.[/quote]

It is all about understanding "misfolds"! :) Sure it is written up somewhere, but you might watch this video because he explains it too.

Also, remember to change your user name to something unique. I've noticed "PS3" on our list which is the default name.

hopefully in the future they'll impliment it so it's passively running in the background so you can web browse and do other less intensive tasks in the XMB

[quote name='Zoglog']hopefully in the future they'll impliment it so it's passively running in the background so you can web browse and do other less intensive tasks in the XMB[/quote]

You can broswe the net, I posted the details on how to somewhere recently. Doesn't fuction as good as it normally does, but I've check a few sites with it.

I'd at least like to listen to my music while it runs.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I'm in but have it running on my PC. I have a 3GHZ dual core machine thats usually sitting around doing a lot of nothing.[/QUOTE]

This could be an interesting comparison. It takes about 8.5 hours to process a "Work Unit" on the PS3, in my limited experience. How long does it take on your PC?

Just so people don't get too carried away with the comparisons between PCs and PS3, you should know that they aren't really doing the same thing. Apparently the nature of the PS3 means that it is used for certain types of calculations, and some of the calculations that are done on the PC aren't done on the PS3 at all. So it's a little hard to do a straight comparison between the two. A PS3 is very fast (faster than a PC) at the kind of work it's being given, but that doesn't mean that it's better in every way than a PC doing Folding@Home.

http://folding.stanford.edu/news.html

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 3/23/2007 PS3 launch early results
With the PS3 launch, we've added a lot of CPU power to Folding@Home, with the total FLOPS now greatly increased an on its way to a Petaflop. Also, we've gotten a lot of crossover interest in the other Folding@Home clients (Win, Lin, OSX; SMP; and GPU), which is also wonderful.

Finally, due to all the interest, our web pages are getting hit very severely. We have been working to improve this, especially with the understanding that more PS3's could be on the way. So far, the performance is still pretty snappy, but we've made changes to make the process run more smoothly. First, we now allow the stats update script exclusive access to the db during updates. This speeds updates, but limits what donors can do during the update period to see their stats. We have also done several changes to improve caching of the stats data to improve overall performance. We are also working to get additional hardware to help out.

With these changes, we should be ready for a lot more clients!"[/FONT]

My PS3 has been folding almost constantly for the past couple of days and it doesn't even really feel warm. When people talking about it getting hot, what part of it gets hot, exactly? I do think it's making the room that it's in (which is pretty small) warmer, though.

I only ever notice heat on the right side, underneath the BD drive--I think all the heat is vented out those holes on the bottom. It can get pretty damn hot there.

I joined up on the CAG team.
I am in the protein folding and misfolding field of research so maybe one day this will help me get that damned Nobel Prize.

[quote name='mik']I only ever notice heat on the right side, underneath the BD drive--I think all the heat is vented out those holes on the bottom. It can get pretty damn hot there.[/QUOTE]

Mines always hot there, and since leaving it on for the last 24 hours it hasn't gotten any hotter. I have made the mistake of setting my pepsi right next to the vent for only about 10 minutes and the shit was hot as hell, felt like it had been sitting out in the sun on a hot summer day for 10 hours. It didn't taste good either.

Mine gets hot on the right and in the rear, and the fan is pretty noticeable when it's on full blast, but since I opened up my window which is literally right behind it the fan hasn't spun up at all and the heat coming out has been more on the warm side rather than hot. Still hottest right under the BD drive though right underneath the vent holes.

I think the best way to do this is to pace yourself. I think i've decided to dedicate my PS3 to 4 WU's a month. I don't mind leaving the console on too long, but the power consuption as people have mentioned is impactful.

[quote name='Zoglog']I think the best way to do this is to pace yourself. I think i've decided to dedicate my PS3 to 4 WU's a month. I don't mind leaving the console on too long, but the power consuption as people have mentioned is impactful.[/quote]

I'm going for 3 or so WU's a week.

Well, I can do this 3 times a week, for 16 hours at a time.
So it'd be about 6 WU's a week.

bread's done
Back