Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

360 fans so hungry for software, they want Folding@ home as well.. anything that was on Playstation they need it.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']The Wii should do this.

Connect all the Wii's together throughout the world...

In order to create one PS3.[/quote]

Lawl.

In order to create one PS3.[/QUOTE]

But they don't have enough duct tape and gamecubes to meet demand ;).... I kid I kid

I'd like to see the 360 get this feature as well.
It wouldn't be nearly as fast as the PS3, but it helps the cause all the same.

[quote name='dallow']I'd like to see the 360 get this feature as well.
It wouldn't be nearly as fast as the PS3, but it helps the cause all the same.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments also. Helping science is definately worth having to listen to even more cries of "Now there's ABSOLUTELY no reason to own a PS3, we've got folding too!"

[quote name='getmyrunon']My sentiments also. Helping science is definately worth having to listen to even more cries of "Now there's ABSOLUTELY no reason to own a PS3, we've got folding too!"[/quote]

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree....

Does anybody know what that high pitched hissing sound is when the folding program starts? Is that just the cell processor working it's ass off foldin them proteins?

[quote name='imascrub']Does anybody know what that high pitched hissing sound is when the folding program starts? Is that just the cell processor working it's ass off foldin them proteins?[/quote]

I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary.

[quote name='dallow']I'd like to see the 360 get this feature as well.
It wouldn't be nearly as fast as the PS3, but it helps the cause all the same.[/QUOTE]
Something tells me that MS wouldn't want to make such an option available if the PS3 is going to be a lot faster than the Xbox 360. It just wouldn't look good (even if it has nothing to do with their respective merits as game systems).

Functionally, having this feature on the 360 would be pretty cool. I have more reason to leave my 360 on 24/7 than my PS3 thanks to Xbox Live. While the 360 CPU probably couldn't keep up with the Cell, it could probably outperform most PCs while performing the same PC-centric calculations (unlike the PS3). If MS wanted to show off their FLOPS generating power, the 360 GPU would probably run Cell into the ground, though it would be performing even more specialized calculations. But we'd loose the spiffy visualization.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant since the noise of a 24/7 360 would be intolerable. Also, I wouldn't fold on a 360 for fear, nay, impending certainty that it would red light every week.

Where's the sticky for this?

And good job everyone! We've gone from being ranked 16,000 something to now under 4,000.

And Apossum, sorry your score was never updated, but hope you keep trying!

[quote name='dallow']I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary.[/quote]

get up close and make sure it's quiet, then start the program. I hear it everytime the moment the folding begins and it stops when I exit.

.......or is it just me?

[quote name='imascrub']Does anybody know what that high pitched hissing sound is when the folding program starts? Is that just the cell processor working it's ass off foldin them proteins?[/quote]

That reminds me of what my old computer used to do when I would run SETI@home on it 24/7. I'm guessing something happened to the processor, because it never really worked after that.

[quote name='imascrub']get up close and make sure it's quiet, then start the program. I hear it everytime the moment the folding begins and it stops when I exit.

.......or is it just me?[/QUOTE]
This is aside from the background music, right?

yea aside from the music....I have my speakers off when I run the program so all I hear is the system

cmon nobody else hears it? I refuse to believe that only my system displays this symptom when folding lol. I guess I wouldn't really say it's high pitched after all, but just the nature of a hissing sound makes me think high pitched.

Interesting bit for those of you who plan on running this thing straight 24/7 for a month lol. Find out about how much it'll cost in your state.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/776/776347p1.html

In order to create one PS3.[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='imascrub']yea aside from the music....I have my speakers off when I run the program so all I hear is the system

cmon nobody else hears it? I refuse to believe that only my system displays this symptom when folding lol. I guess I wouldn't really say it's high pitched after all, but just the nature of a hissing sound makes me think high pitched.

Interesting bit for those of you who plan on running this thing straight 24/7 for a month lol. Find out about how much it'll cost in your state.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/776/776347p1.html[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I hear it too, very faint sound. Only happens when Folding@home is running.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Yeah, I hear it too, very faint sound. Only happens when Folding@home is running.[/QUOTE]

I never noticed a sound at all, I did have my TV on though, but the volume was pretty low.

How long does "preparing work unit" usually take? I went to go play some Oblivion and it gave me that message. I'm reluctant to stop it, but I don't know how long it should take or how long it was working before I got there.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']How come my name is PS3 on the Folding @ Home thing?

Is that everyones name? Or something... wtf...[/QUOTE]

you have to change it, it's in the same menu option where you joined the cag team.

and on a side not an extra $10 a month to the power bill for running the ps3 24/7 for a whole month is not bad at all. I was thinking it would tack on like another $50. I may start leaving my ps3 on a lot more now.

[quote name='mr ryles']you have to change it, it's in the same menu option where you joined the cag team.

and on a side not an extra $10 a month to the power bill for running the ps3 24/7 for a whole month is not bad at all. I was thinking it would tack on like another $50. I may start leaving my ps3 on a lot more now.[/quote]

Oh thanks man.

I feel dumb...

Locked up on me once too.

Also if i don't allow it handshake with my tv before i turn off the set it will linger at the loading screen until i turn the tv back on then it continues.

This is a good strategy for Sony.

If this gives any noticeable improvement in the advance to get rid of certain diseases/symptoms/cancers. And eventually there is a cure, the PS3 is going to look like an Angel.

And when Microsoft states, "Haha, we have Halo 3!!!" Sony can easily reply, "Well, we cured cancer".

Can't beat that.

Killing cancer is really popular amongst the teens. The only thing that could counter destroying cancer would be if Microsoft announces they are releasing a MMORPG based on Laguna Beach or Maui Fever.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Hey guys, not sure if you saw the article IGN put up on electricity costs of F@H:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/776/776347p1.html

Just something to remember before we get all fold crazy and the electricity bill comes to punch you in the face.[/QUOTE]
It's good to know what to expect, but I don't really think those prices are so bad, considering that it's for running the PS3 for 1 month straight. For most people, it'll probably add a few dollars at most.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']This is a good strategy for Sony.

If this gives any noticeable improvement in the advance to get rid of certain diseases/symptoms/cancers. And eventually there is a cure, the PS3 is going to look like an Angel.

And when Microsoft states, "Haha, we have Halo 3!!!" Sony can easily reply, "Well, we cured cancer".

Can't beat that.

Killing cancer is really popular amongst the teens. The only thing that could counter destroying cancer would be if Microsoft announces they are releasing a MMORPG based on Laguna Beach or Maui Fever.[/quote]

However, we all know the only true cure for cancer is Chuck Norris' tears.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']However, we all know the only true cure for cancer is Chuck Norris' tears.[/QUOTE]

and those have never been seen, so we're all shit out of luck.

To the people who are keeping this on topic and helping with the thread, good job.

To the others, who are trying to be funny with their stupid ass comments, need to stop. This is to help cure cancer, don't turn it into a PS3 vs 360 vs Wii thread. Any more comments like this will be deleted.

ps3 has been on the last dew hours, I'll leave it on the rest of tonight and probably all tomorrow as well. Racking up the points.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Is everyone using just their PS3's or combos?[/quote]

PS3 only here...I heard CAG already had a folding team for everything else...figured I'd create one dedicated to the PS3.

bread's done
Back