Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

Glad to have you aboard!

How much faster are you guys folding? Kicked off about an hour off mine.
Damn, this brand new WU is only going to take 5hr 19min.
Difference of 3 hours!

fuck, it happened again. i got another WU done, then it wouldn't let me upload it, even when I was connected.

Ah man, hehe. Third times a charm! Get some points!

Hmm...
I would never believe that the PS3 & trying to understand the configuration of protein morphology & structure would somehow interplay haha.

Nor did I forsee the coincidence that the acronym PS3 is synonymous with the molecule that may inadvertently trigger a cell's random & unstoppable growth rate that would lead to cancer.

This is simply incredible - I was talking about this during Bio 11 & I was clueless that cag not only started but have already achieved so much configuration!!!!

here, here my fellow friends - you guys are saving lives :applause: .

Sweet, congrats on everyone who contributed so far. We're in the Top 1000!! Now I know, just for bragging rights, it's gonna be an uphill battle from here on out. Now we go against bigger teams, not to mention overclockers and whatnot. -.- BUt Hooray for us! keep it up!

Okay so today is the 1st, trying to do some kinda offical/unoffical CAG PS3 Folding @Home Team day at the start of each month. So... If you want to join in and haven't been using you're PS3 much, turn it on and fold for at least a few hours today like when you go to sleep.

I want to congratulate myself for completing 100 WU and to everyone in the top 7 so far that have done over 100 WU. Keep it up!

I'm just so damned surprised my PS3 hasnt overheated. It's been over a month since I've left it on 24/7 and it's doing just fine. *knock on wood*

Maybe I'll convert from the Official PS Forums Team to the CAG Team. Sitting at around 80 complete on mine but I don't think it transfers over between teams? :p

Good job guys. Someone doesn't want me to Fold or to keep the 11th spot (internet was down for a week again!) but I'll start it up again later.

[quote name='soyverde']I'm in (at least until my wife sees our next power bill :D).[/QUOTE]

It'll only go up like $10 and that is if you leave it on 24/7 for the whole month.

We are still climbing, very slowly though.

signed up today under Purkeynator. Working on my first fold. I brought a friend too named Streen. He said he had 45 folds on his own so I told him to join the CAG cause!

[quote name='mr ryles']we should be breaking into the 600's in the next few days.[/quote]

Not bad for a team created what? A little less than two months ago?

Good job, everyone...keep it up. :applause:

Let's keep going! Almost breaking into the top 500! Leave your PS3's on if you're not using them! And congrats to the top 5, We've completed over 200 units! Keep going!

[quote name='lmz00']I formatted my PS3's hard drive, and now I'm back at 0 work units completed (I had 22). :([/QUOTE]
Why did you do that?

turning on the ps3 now before bed time. It'll be on all night and probably until I get off work tomorrow night, and if not into the next day.

[quote name='henniger']PS3 draws about 380 Watts (according to the 10 seconds I spent with Google, at least.) So if you left your PS3 on and folding for 24 hours, you'd use about 9,120 Watt-hours, or 9.12 KWH. My local utility charges about 8 cents per KWH, so this makes the cost of folding for a day about $0.73.

Our utility rates are maybe a little on the low side (thanks, hydro power!) but figure about $1/day? Could be the cheap-ass cure for cancer =)[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with the 380 watts, according to the PS3 FAQ on the F@H website, "What is the power consumption of the PS3 running the FAH client? Is it safe to run the PS3 24X7?
We expect the PS3 to use about 200W while running Folding@Home. We have several PS3's running in our lab, running Folding@Home 24/7 and have had good results so far."

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html

Using your numbers i came up with 24(hrs) x 200(watts) = 4800KWH....multiplied by .08(cents) = $0.38

In any case, I agree with your "this is a cheap-ass cure for cancer" remark :)

someone posted a link before that listed a states average cost per KWH. Anywho here in Nevada if I left my ps3 running 24/7 for a full month it would only up the electric bill by about $13-14.

[quote name='mr ryles']someone posted a link before that listed a states average cost per KWH. Anywho here in Nevada if I left my ps3 running 24/7 for a full month it would only up the electric bill by about $13-14.[/quote]

Here is the list.

It says: Nevada = $13.52
So it seems to be fairly accurate then!!

Well I hope to help, lets fold! I also know a couple people with beastie machines that leave them on 24/7 and I am going to talk them into joining the CAG team and just run it when they are letting their pcs idle. Let's cure something!

A small update:

As I have fallen yet again out of first place, and due to the fact that there are now games arriving worth playing on the PS3, I had no choice but to order my 2nd PS3.

This way, I won't feel guilty when I'm playing a game...knowing that I could be curing cancer. I'll be able to do both at once, and sometimes twice as much as before!

#500 will fall before us.

Top 3 have made over 300 WU. I know we can have more! I'll be joining marten as well with a 2nd PS3 running 24/7 on F@H sometime in the near future.

I'm back from my month and half vacation through Asia and I'm ready to continue the folding. Keep up the good work guys.

Note that I have stopped folding because my room gets pretty hot during the summer, and the PS3 being on makes it kind of unlivable.

"Dying of cancer makes it unlivable..."

bread's done
Back