Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

[quote name='seanr1221']Very late to the party, but I'm in too. Can you play games while folding?[/quote]
No, it requires full use of the system, so it's best to run it when you're not interested in doing anything in particular.

[quote name='seanr1221']Very late to the party, but I'm in too. Can you play games while folding?[/QUOTE]

The phrase is "fashionably late," dahling.

Speaking of fashionably late, I am too. Just signed up a few moments ago.

No all you can do right now is look at the screen while folding. HOPEFULLY, they will allow us to at least listen to music or even browse the internet later on.

I've been part of the team with my PC for awhile, but I just added a PS3 to my arsenal! Also, I plan on leaving my 4 computers at work on and running the app over weekends starting next week!

Hey tomorrow is the 1st! I tried doing some kinda unoffical cag folding day on every 1st of the month. Basically if you've got your PS3 resting, why not turn it on at night while you sleep and let it fold?

Good job everyone...we blew into the top 500 easily.

Props go out to Shrike and NC-17 for providing stupid amounts of production...along with the top 5-6, of course.

Everyone else...well, I'll assume you're playing something on the PS3, so good for you, and thanks for the help...no matter how much or little it is ;)

[quote name='marten']
Props go out to Shrike and NC-17 for providing stupid amounts of production...along with the top 5-6, of course.[/quote]

Man that is disresepectful! Me and Dallow have been swapping #7 back and forth for a while too you know.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Man that is disresepectful! Me and Dallow have been swapping #7 back and forth for a while too you know.[/quote]

Now see, if I told you good job, then dallow would expect it.

And if I told dallow good job, he'd start stalking me.

See the dilemma? :D

You need to find people to swindle to run folding for you.

Or another computer.

Or another PS3. ;)

Hah, thanks. Not too bad for just a few weeks :) There are potentially a few more PCs I could load it up on, but might not want to use the electricity. We'll see. My PS3 is always folding, but I do get to play games/dvds/blurays on it every once in a while :)

Keep Folding, CAGs!

[quote name='marten']Good job everyone...we blew into the top 500 easily.

Props go out to Shrike and NC-17 for providing stupid amounts of production...along with the top 5-6, of course.

Everyone else...well, I'll assume you're playing something on the PS3, so good for you, and thanks for the help...no matter how much or little it is ;)[/quote]

I joined. It was one of the first things i did with my new ps3
and i also put my core2duo e6300, 3gb dd2 ram computer to work as well :)

Im 9 in top producers, and ranked 27th overall not too shabby.

i used to be on the overclock,net team from my desktop which is currently down and not folding. so im only folding via the ps3 so i think im still doing pretty good. Its usually up and folding.

i also have it auto start after 5 minutes if its not being used for anything.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hey tomorrow is the 1st! I tried doing some kinda unoffical cag folding day on every 1st of the month. Basically if you've got your PS3 resting, why not turn it on at night while you sleep and let it fold?[/quote]

I dont want it to blow up my house :booty:

[quote name='marten']Good job everyone...we blew into the top 500 easily.

Everyone else...well, I'll assume you're playing something on the PS3, so good for you, and thanks for the help...no matter how much or little it is ;)[/quote]The PS3 has been on pretty much non-stop since I bought it almost a month ago doing Folding, save the couple of days I borrowed the tower fan out of the room it's currently in.

Surprising that it's been pretty warm, though not "WTF? Is this a Foreman Grill?" kind of warm, doing all the folding.

22nd place, heh. :D

Looking at the advance charts, we'll be #450 within two days!

Also looks like I'm as high as I'm going to get (#6) but I think my system did well to get up this far at least.

>>>Oh had we've had a spike in production lately, thanks to the new folks! We were on a down trend before the start of the week.

I'm lost, everyone is talking about winning and kicking other teams asses and what not, but what exactly is this even doing, I've read a few FAQ's and I still don't understand this at all, I guess I'm just skeptical, but what is the incentive here??
-Goatman

[quote name='goatindaruffness']I'm lost, everyone is talking about winning and kicking other teams asses and what not, but what exactly is this even doing, I've read a few FAQ's and I still don't understand this at all, I guess I'm just skeptical, but what is the incentive here??
-Goatman[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm skeptical about science, too. I mean, who do those guys think they are with their white lab coats and the glasses and the discovering cures for cancer? They think they're so great...

We're helping to use our individual computing power to form a "network super computer" to help researchers break down huge amounts of data with the hopes of uncovering new insights into cancer and possibly a cure. The incentive, then, is to lend a hand in what could be a fantastic venture with benefits for all of humanity.

(Yes, I'm on the team! Go CAGs, go!)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Scobie, you've been cut from the team. The white coats don't like you.[/QUOTE]

They might not like me, but they like the work I do... Day 1, 1st unit produced.

[quote name='Scobie']They might not like me, but they like the work I do... Day 1, 1st unit produced.[/quote]
They don't care about the work, as they think you're a meanie.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They don't care about the work, as they think you're a meanie.[/QUOTE]

Well I am! I'm also almost done with my second unit. Or as a recent poster from another thread calls it, my 2th.

Scobie, we have to be PS3 friends!

Also, there was an update to F@H today!

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces New Features and Enhancements for PlayStation 3 Folding@Home Application

PS3 Users Continue to Help Stanford University Further Medical Research

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) today announced a Folding@home application update (v1.2) for PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) users, further demonstrating the company's continued commitment to the Stanford University distributed computing project. This latest update provides PS3 users with added functionalities and features, including support for Remote Play for PSP(PlayStation Portable), added protein simulations and visuals, as well as a screensaver mode which enables PS3 to consume slightly less power and increases the performance of protein-folding simulations.

User participation by the PS3 community continues to be very strong-in just five months more than 536,000 PS3 users worldwide have downloaded the Folding@home application. PS3 users have delivered up to 600 teraflops, making the Folding@home program one of the fastest distributed computing networks in the world. Thanks in part to the ultra-fast processing power found in PS3, the Folding@home project is closer to its goal of achieving a petaflop, an important milestone.

Updated features and functionalities that are part of this latest application update (v 1.2) include:

Support for Remote Play for PSP -- Now Folding@home can be remotely operated through PSP utilizing the Remote Play feature of the PS3 system. With this feature, PS3 users are able to view on their PSP the exact same Folding@home information that is viewable on their PS3, complete with the map of the world and the protein that their particular system is simulating.

More Support for Additional Protein Simulations -- Additional computation cores are now supported allowing Folding@home for PS3 to support a wider range of protein-folding simulations which further enhances the science needed to be performed to research diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.

Screensaver Mode -- A screensaver mode can now be activated via the Settings menu in the Folding@home application, allowing PS3 users to consume slightly less power and to increase performance of protein- folding simulations.

Link to Project Description -- A link has been added to the Information menu in the Folding@home application allowing users to quickly obtain additional information about the specific research project they are currently contributing to.

Protein Visualization Enhancements -- All visualization modes have been enhanced with improved shading, highlighting and focus effects, including: "Tapioca" displays the protein as a smooth surface with improved shading and depth; "Caviar" displays the protein as a smooth surface with defined edges; "Licorice" displays only the protein's bonds and "Backbone" which emphasizes specific sections of the protein that are of the most scientific interest to researchers.

Advanced Participation Mode -- Advanced participation mode allows Stanford University to send simulations of varying computational lengths to PS3 users. Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly longer, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home for at least eight hours per day.

"We take a lot of pride in the fact that more than half a million PS3 users worldwide have dedicated a portion of their machine's capabilities towards helping Stanford University and their Folding@home team research many of the diseases that inflict our society today," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of SCEA. "It is one thing for us to provide the technology to make this possible; it is quite another to have gamers from all over the world proactively sign up for this program to make a difference in our global community. We couldn't be more pleased with the results we have seen to date in this collaborative effort."

Folding@home is a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and related diseases. Because the process of folding proteins is so complex, groups of computers are used to perform simulations to study the process. Thanks to PS3's Cell Broadband Engine (Cell/B.E.), researchers are now able to tabulate the simulations much faster, speeding up the research process.

PS3 users can download the updated version of the application (v1.2) by simply restarting the Folding@home application. New Folding@home users can join the program by simply clicking on the Folding@home icon within the Network menu of the XMB (XrossMediaBar) or can optionally set the application to run automatically whenever the PS3 is idle.

bread's done
Back