Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

Our production seems to be higher then it was during the last month!

Warhawk will be out soon so I won't be folding as much, so it might go down if others will be playing it too.

Joined up as Knackered. My regular CAG account is espy605.

I noticed that my background downloads actually work while I'm folding, pretty darn cool.

I downloaded the update and set it up in Advanced mode, as I keep it on all the time to Fold.

Seems like I'm in the top 20 now. Woot.

I'm doing Advanced as well.

What's the dif? I know it folds WU that are non-Cancer related but other diseases.
It says recommended for people who fold 8 hours a day, but that's how long a regular WU took.

Hope I get more points!
Plus you get the new visual Backbone unlocked.

[quote name='dallow']I'm doing Advanced as well.

What's the dif? I know it folds WU that are non-Cancer related but other diseases.
It says recommended for people who fold 8 hours a day, but that's how long a regular WU took.

Hope I get more points!
Plus you get the new visual Backbone unlocked.[/quote]
I believe that it does give you more points for completing them, as I've been getting more points, at least I think I have, than I did with the normal WU.

[quote name='dallow']I'm doing Advanced as well.

Hope I get more points!
Plus you get the new visual Backbone unlocked.[/quote]I also went Advanced and found this over at the PlayStation forum:

[quote name='TwinsDad']The PS3 client is starting to get advanced calculations. Prior to the update it mostly ran indeterminate GPU like calculations. this means that advanced users can set the PS3 to run deeper calculations.[/quote] [quote name='nlong']Thanks for the update, this is all certainly good news. I am running one of the new WUs in advanced mode now, it is huge (750,000 Frames) and VERY fast (0.0361S/Frame).

Different WU's have different amounts of points associated with them, I will look for info the WUs they are talking about but they should carry more points than WUs proccessed in normal mode.

Note: In Advanced Mode, an energy graph during the simulation will also be displayed. In this graph, the blue line represents the total energy level of the protein over time. The red line represents the average temperature level at which the current simulation is run.
[/quote]

[quote name='dallow']Scobie, we have to be PS3 friends![/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll send the friends request today.

Also, switched over to advanced the other day after talking with our fearless leader, Marten. According to him I should be able to make waffles with it today. Fun times.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm in the top 40 now and I'm coming after you, Rolento![/QUOTE]

aww shit... I knew someone was on my tail >_<

I noticed once you hit the 40s and up, it's really hard to move up in rank... I'll be surprised the day I get in the 30s.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']aww shit... I knew someone was on my tail >_<

I noticed once you hit the 40s and up, it's really hard to move up in rank... I'll be surprised the day I get in the 30s.[/quote]
You're #32 and the person above you hasn't done anything in a week and the #30 guy hasn't done anything for nearly four months, so it shouldn't be too hard to get to #30. Getting much further may be more of a challenge.

I just signed up under the CAG team. My PSN name's Chuplayer, and I guess my folding at home name is Chuplayer, too.

So, am I correct in thinking that the only way to do any folding is to run the folding program, leave it running, and not do anything else, even turn off my PS3?

[quote name='Chuplayer']I just signed up under the CAG team. My PSN name's Chuplayer, and I guess my folding at home name is Chuplayer, too.

So, am I correct in thinking that the only way to do any folding is to run the folding program, leave it running, and not do anything else, even turn off my PS3?[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Just leave it running. You can't do anything else.

The PS3 is a champ. I've had it folding 24/7 and it only gets slightly warm.

[quote name='musicnoteless']I better find an ISP provider soon. I already dropped to #5 #-o[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why you were inactive for so long.

[quote name='spidey']I was wondering why you were inactive for so long.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But just you all watch. I'LL BE BACK WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!

2nd PStriple, here I come. :)

[quote name='musicnoteless']Yeah, I know. But just you all watch. I'LL BE BACK WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!

2nd PStriple, here I come. :)[/quote]

You'll always be one behind, moosic ;)

#3 is coming. That's right, three of them.

In the same room.

I will be posting video of random items floating.

Welcome aboard, LazyAaron!!

I've casually folded my way into the Top 100. Got my boomshot drawn and I'm aimin' for the Top 50, bishes!!

[quote name='dallow']Holy crap marten 3 PS3s?

You really are super serious about folding!

And Frost?
Nice.[/quote]

Ain't nothing...hard to build a $500 computer that would do the same thing.

That, and they do make very nice space heaters at the same time. I may have to populate the house with them during the winter.

We're #400....congrats to everyone on the team...you're doing CAG proud. :applause:

[quote name='Raymond']Hi, I just got my PS3 and will like to help out. How do I join?[/quote]Download Folding@Home from the PSN store and go into the settings and put in the Team Number as shown in the first post.

Also remember to name your PS3 in the app's settings as well.

[quote name='dallow']Download Folding@Home from the PSN store and go into the settings and put in the Team Number as shown in the first post.

Also remember to name your PS3 in the app's settings as well.[/QUOTE]

Name my PS3 to CAG?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've slacked on this since school started and Tekken being out... I'm not aiming to be a top score person, but I at least want to contribute.[/quote]

I just wanted to beat Dallow to #6 myself. Now that I've done that I'm folding here and there but not as much.

WARNING!

WARNING!

Contest to be unveiled tomorrow. PS3 owners will have an advantage in this one, but it will be free for anyone to join. (Oh, and you'll be going against me and my PS3 farm ;))

Prizes....well, suspense is a bitch. Announcement sometime tomorrow evening. (plan on 6pm PST barring drinking)

Well before all that...

The PS3 has helped the Folding@Home program past the PETAFLOP!!

The momentum and excitement for the Folding@home project continues. This time it’s something that the Folding community and the computer science field as a whole have been anxiously awaiting — the crossing of a milestone known as a petaflop.

A petaflop equals one quadrillion floating point operations per second (FLOPS). If you’d like to imagine this enormous computation capacity, think about calculating a tip on a restaurant bill, now do that for 75,000 different bills, now do that every second, and lastly, imagine everybody on the planet is doing those calculations at the same second- this is a petaflop calculation. Now you see why I say say enormous…

So how did we get to a petaflop and what caused it to happen now? There are a few factors that together increased the total computational power of the Folding@home network. First, is the increased participation from the Folding community. Just six months after we launched the program, nearly 600,000 PS3 users have registered. Second, we made several improvements to the application (v 1.2) that helped make the computations more accurate and enabled us to squeeze even more work out of each and every PS3 console — we went from 450 teraflops to 800 teraflops. These factors, combined with the contribution from all the other platforms, helped us cross the barrier, which happened sometime over the weekend.

What does this mean to the computer science field? The petaflop by itself is just a number, but in the past was only thought of as something that could be done on a supercomputer or other dedicated hardware which cost millions and millions of dollars. Now we’ve shown that a distributed network featuring a videogame console can reach the same capacity as a supercomputer. On a different level we see a huge contribution to the specific research that Folding@home is conducting, which is understanding the cause of serious diseases. Just think about how long it would take if such a network of computers didn’t exist! According to Stanford, the Folding@home network is helping them conduct research that typically would not have been possible for another 10 years.

What’s next? 2 petaflops? Maybe. Researchers at Stanford are saying that the accuracy can be increased even further to crank even more work out of each PS3. For now, I just feel proud that PS3 owners are making such a great contribution to the network and allowing it to sustain such capacity, it makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Here is a snapshot of statistics as reported from Stanford’s website at the time of this post:

foldingstats.png

[quote name='jonlubbe']Finally I have achieved Rank 30 on the team.. First place cant be that far behind, right?[/quote]

According to this, you'll be 18th in 30 days. Try to break the top 10 before the year is out! :cool:

bread's done
Back