Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

Got myself a cheap system and joined up, same name: DaFunkk12. Honestly, I think I'll only have it fold if I have some stuff downloading, since I'm a bit conscious of my power bill. If only you could run it while watching a movie.

Question...
When I look up my user profile it shows the work i've done from the PS3. But I just started using my work computers for this as well. The problem is that when I look under active processors it still only shows one. When should it update to 2 or 3?

[quote name='Warner1281']Question...
When I look up my user profile it shows the work i've done from the PS3. But I just started using my work computers for this as well. The problem is that when I look under active processors it still only shows one. When should it update to 2 or 3?[/quote]

nm... answered my own question. Once the computer finishes a WU, THEN it updates the website to say 2 active processors. I've got my PS3 and 2 computers doing this now (1 computer takes 4 days, the other 17 days :whistle2:/ ).

how much internet bandwidth does folding take? My resources are more than limited do to the crappy just above broadband level internet in my no-man's-land region.

[quote name='RyogAkari']how much internet bandwidth does folding take? My resources are more than limited do to the crappy just above broadband level internet in my no-man's-land region.[/quote]It just downloads a 50MB file, then crunches it for 7-8 hours. Doesn't really use your bandwidth while number crunching.

Well I'm climbing up the ranks. And I'm going to Vegas for five days, all of which time I'll be folding. Woot.

Anyone else having the problem of the PS3 overheating if you switch to Advanced mode? I switched to Advanced mode and noticed my PS3 kept shutting down and just leaving a blinking red light. Figured out it was overheating and eventually determined it was due to having folding set on Advanced. Now that I dropped it back down to normal, it doesn't have that problem anymore. Just wondering if anyone else's overheats in advanced mode.

Mine doesnt overheat in advanced mode. I dont know what the differences between modes are, but I heard advanced mode is better. Anyone know why it's better?

[quote name='Warner1281']Anyone else having the problem of the PS3 overheating if you switch to Advanced mode? I switched to Advanced mode and noticed my PS3 kept shutting down and just leaving a blinking red light. Figured out it was overheating and eventually determined it was due to having folding set on Advanced. Now that I dropped it back down to normal, it doesn't have that problem anymore. Just wondering if anyone else's overheats in advanced mode.[/quote]I've been running mine in Advanced mode since it was available, and the PS3 is pretty much on 24/7. Never seen any issues like the one you were reporting.

[quote name='Sinistar']Mine doesnt overheat in advanced mode. I dont know what the differences between modes are, but I heard advanced mode is better. Anyone know why it's better?[/quote] [quote name='Stanford']Advanced Participation Mode allows Stanford University to send simulations of varying computational lengths to PS3 users. Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly lon ger, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home for at least eight hours per day.[/quote] Basically you get WUs of different sizes, that take different lengths of time to complete, and hence garner different numbers of points. If I'm not mistaken, all normal mode WUs are worth 300 points. I've had Advanced mode WUs valued from 200-385 points.

My gut feeling is that your PPD goes up slightly in Advanced mode. And FWIW, my 60GB has completed 252 Advanced mode WUs since late October with no ill effects.

Well now mine just overheats anytime I run folding (normal or advanced). So I just called up SCEA last night and they're sending me a box to get it sent back to them. Folding will (hopefully) resume in 2 weeks.

[quote name='Warner1281']Well now mine just overheats anytime I run folding (normal or advanced). So I just called up SCEA last night and they're sending me a box to get it sent back to them. Folding will (hopefully) resume in 2 weeks.[/quote]

I had mine overheat one time when I originally got the system when I was trying to do a full format of the HD. I have been folding in advanced mode for a couple weeks now and haven't had any issues with overheating that way though, (knock on wood).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully your system will get fixed and you will have it back quickly!

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I had mine overheat one time when I originally got the system when I was trying to do a full format of the HD. I have been folding in advanced mode for a couple weeks now and haven't had any issues with overheating that way though, (knock on wood).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully your system will get fixed and you will have it back quickly![/quote]

hope so... you were my next target on the folding leader boards ;)

Joined up at the beginning of January.
I've got 22 WUs done and in the top 100 of this team.

Also, sorry to hear that Warner. I feel for you. I run mine in advanced mode aswell, I hope this doesn't happen to me!

[quote name='Autumn Star']Joined up at the beginning of January.
I've got 22 WUs done and in the top 100 of this team.

Also, sorry to hear that Warner. I feel for you. I run mine in advanced mode aswell, I hope this doesn't happen to me![/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was doing it pretty much from day 1 (I just didn't know what the flashing red button meant at the time). If you haven't had problems yet, you won't have any.

Woohoo! Finally made it into the top 100,000 rankings. (#59 w/ CAG). Too bad my PS3 is gone now, so I'm sure my ranking will drop. I've still got some shitty computers working for us though :roll:.

I was looking at one of the alternative Folding stat sites since the official one's always down when I want to see how I've been doing and saw this site that actually shows how long the team as a whole can expect to move up or down the rankings and other points of interest. I like the big dip on Friday, which I'm guessing was most likely because of the DMC4 demo. :lol:

Hey guys, I must have not realized this post here. I got my 40gb george foreman roughly 2-3 weeks ago and one of the most used functions I use it for is to fold. I'm an R&D engineer and know how it's important for science as I have Folding clients on my work laptop and all my PCs at home :applause:

I wouldn't mind joining the CAG team for Folding and help the team out. Let me know

[quote name='marten']http://folding.typepad.com/

Oh, look, we broke PS3 folding.

Good job, guys. :applause:;)

Hope they get it fixed soon, because I hate sitting at 0 point production. :cry:[/quote]

Yeah, been broken for a while. I was excited to get my PS3 back from repair, only to find that F@H was being retarded. Ah well... now we just have to fold gimp style til Sony releases the new update.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Wow... I haven't folded at all in almost 2 months and I'm still in the top 20. You guys need to step your game up![/quote]

Kinda hard when F@H was gimped up for over a week. I'm finally back on track though. I like the addition of the 1500 point projects too.

My PS3 has been out of comission since september or so. I really have to call Sony since my warranty expires soon. I'll be back in the mix once I receive a replacement.

[quote name='dallow']It's broken?

Then what the hell has my PS3 been doing all these nights?[/quote]

WAS broken.

It was probably timing out everytime it tried to dl a new unit or upload a completed unit. (Or taking up to 20-30 tries before being successful). Anywho, doesn't matter now. Everything seems to be back to normal. Fold away. Maybe if you fold the most they'll include your name in their scientific paper ;)

[quote name='Warner1281']Kinda hard when F@H was gimped up for over a week. I'm finally back on track though. I like the addition of the 1500 point projects too.[/quote]

The 1500 point projects take ~40 hours to complete though, so really the only thing you gain by having them is your points per day fluctuates WILDLY.

It does eventually even out, but makes it kind of a pain in the short run to see who you're going to pass/is going to pass you.

[quote name='dallow']It's broken?

Then what the hell has my PS3 been doing all these nights?[/quote]

:???: Thats what i am wondering myself. Cuz mine is always on.

[quote name='Layd Dly']:???: Thats what i am wondering myself. Cuz mine is always on.[/quote]

If you watch when it finishes a project it'll upload it just fine. But when it tries to download a new one, it could take anywhere from 10 secs. to an hour. Because of issues due to a critical mass of PS3's on F@H, they had to limit the number of PS3's trying access the server at once. So now if you try and download, if it doesn't immediately assign you a new unit, you'll disconnect and wait 10 secs, then try again. Rinse and repeat with longer intervals between retries until you're assigned a unit. This is their temporary fix until Sony issues the new version that the F@H has issued to them for testing.

Stupid ass Sony. Someone hijacked my account and so now I had to format the machine and start anew. i'm going to try Hiccup, instead of HICCUP, this time. I wonder if I still can get into my Folding account.

Edit: Yay! At least it let me sign back up under the CAGs and my name. Still, I lost all of my DL content/games. fucking bastards. Xbox Live is so much better than this bullshit.

That's because anyone can use your name on F@H, it's not tied to anything.
I could put your name and it'd start counting points for you.

I think Backbone only works in "advanced mode".

[quote name='dallow']That's because anyone can use your name on F@H, it's not tied to anything.
I could put your name and it'd start counting points for you.

I think Backbone only works in "advanced mode".[/quote]

Ahh, I see. Since I just started it up it was in standard mode, but I just switched it it to advanced. I'll have to sign back up to the PSn network now. I'm not using my last email that they fucked up.

bread's done
Back