Free Burnout Revenge Demo at Best Buy

mcgavin27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I stopped into Best Buy today to pick up some 2 for 20 movies for my mom, when i spied a burnout revenge demo for ps2 just lying at the checkout counter. It rang up as $0.00. The store had about 30 of them, so your store might have them to. Now off to play it to see if it is better than BO3.

I highly doubt a demo for a console game would be online.
.....though I suppose I don't know a damn thing about Xbox live.

[quote name='SDC']I highly doubt a demo for a console game would be online.
.....though I suppose I don't know a damn thing about Xbox live.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you don't know a lot about online console gaming in general, considering a lot of demos and betas (like Jak X, Socom 3, Battlefield 2 and Darkwatch) are online.

The XBOX disc that ships with OXM (Official XBOX Magazine) always has LIVE demos. Currently they have Battlefield 2 on XBOX Live on the disc....pretty good stuff

I was at Best Buy today and they had the Burnout game playing in their xbox kiosk. It looks really sweet! Too bad they don't make it for the cube : (

[quote name='RawisJericho']So how is the game?[/QUOTE]

I was standing behind a guy that was playing it for about 5 minutes. The graphics look even tighter than Burnout 3. The track he was on was a new one and there appeared to be multiple paths on the track. In the short time I watched...I pretty much had drool dripping out the sides of my mouth. I may have to get another xbox real soon, or possibly wait for the 360.

You been hiding under a GameCube or PS2? :)

[quote name='maccabee72']I was at Best Buy today and they had the Burnout game playing in their xbox kiosk. It looks really sweet! Too bad they don't make it for the cube : ([/QUOTE]

burnout 2 is plenty awesome on the cube

the demo is awesome. I love ramming traffic into my opponents. The only major differences I noticed so far (played it once) crashbreaker during the race (when you crash you can access it), and if you rear-end the traffic they go flying instead of you crashing.

If you don't see the demo lying around, ask a Best Buy associate. My BB keeps all the demos in the back. Last time I asked, they brought me out a bunch of demos, new and old (though there was nothing newer than Forza at the time), and a Star Wars comic book. Free is free and free is good.

I'll definitely ask for the Burnout demo next time I'm there. Thanks for the heads up.

-DM

[quote name='maccabee72']I may have to get another xbox real soon, or possibly wait for the 360.[/QUOTE]

I say wait, at this point. Plus, there are rumors still that Revenge will hit the 360.

If your planning on picking up Madden 06 the Burnout Revenge demo is on the disc. I know it's not free but if your going to get Madden anyway it beats searching around for the demo disc.

[quote name='mkelehan']I say wait, at this point. Plus, there are rumors still that Revenge will hit the 360.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard those rumors, so that's what I'll probably do. Has it already been confirmed that the 360 would have backwards compatability though? I haven't really been keeping up lately.

ign said the next gen burnout will be 2006. didnt say if it was revenge or the next sequel..but knowing EA, it's probably the next sequel

I think if I remember right, it's this year for current gen, early next year for Revenge 360. I hope someone puts the demo up soon online, I can't wait to see how it looks on my setup.

[quote name='maccabee72']Yeah, I've heard those rumors, so that's what I'll probably do. Has it already been confirmed that the 360 would have backwards compatability though? I haven't really been keeping up lately.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Just got back from Best Buy, where they had a pile of Xbox and PS2 demos. I grabbed a couple of xbox demos. Will report back once I've tried the game.

I just got back and they only had ~15 for each system. I talked to a guy I know there and he said that was all they had minus the ones that went to employees and the few that were grabbed when they opened.

FYI @ Best Buy at the Waterfront in Homestead, PA.

Damn. I went to two stores on my lunch break, and had no luck.

Best Buy is really hit or miss with customer service. Mostly miss (at least where I live). I asked one guy if he had seen the demo in the store, and explained it was for the new game that's not out yet, and probably just came in. I then watched as he looked up the Burnout 3: Takedown strategy guide in the computer, highlighted the "0 on-hand", turned to me and said "Yeah, were out of stock on that right now". I just said "thanks", turned and left.

OK, Xbox demo review:
This demo contains no real gameplay value. The track included is super easy, and there is only one race available. The demo does have value, though, if you're interested in getting a taste of the new features in the next iteration of Burnout. The graphics are very similar to Burnout 3, no real improvements there. The main changes seem to be more frantic crashing during the races. You can now crashbreaker during a race (no idea why you would want to do this), and the explosion is about 3X the size of the Burnout 3 crashbreaker -- very nice. The other significant change is ramming into traffic no longer causes your car to crash- instead it send the car flying, and you can use them as weapons to take down other cars.

So the demo isn't really worth the drive IMHO, but Burnout Revenge looks like a must-buy for Burnout fans.

Can you describe the packaging of the demo (or post a pic?) My "local" Best Buy is a 40 minute round trip (with $2.30 a gallon gas prices) but I love me some Burnout so much I would make the trip if I knew they had it.

Also- it's at the register & not in the game section?

Thanks

mine was at the register and the game section. It is a short little box (like the F4 music sampler) It has a car going under a flip over car, the flipped over car has Burnout revenge written on it. IMO, the demo is very worth it. It goes faster (it seems) than BO3, i love ramming traffic, and the crashbreaker makes getting revenge on those that crash you so much sweeter.

Yea, the demo is one of those cardboard sleaves the size of the disc. My BB had a ton for both PS2 & Xbox, and they were on display where the demo units are setup.

Tho it is a very short demo, it's a lot of fun. As has been said, ramming traffic is a blast (and eliminates pretty much my only complaint from 3). Also, the crashbreaker makes it somewhat easier to to aftertouch takedowns. Also, I haven't seen anyone go into too much detail about the multiple paths, but they are VERY nice. I went through the race twice, taking completely different paths both times, and I saw some I still missed.

I called the local BB's and one said they had it, the other didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He said they only had a few so I hope there is some still there when I get off work.

[quote name='ma']OK, Xbox demo review:
This demo contains no real gameplay value. The track included is super easy, and there is only one race available. The demo does have value, though, if you're interested in getting a taste of the new features in the next iteration of Burnout. The graphics are very similar to Burnout 3, no real improvements there. The main changes seem to be more frantic crashing during the races. You can now crashbreaker during a race (no idea why you would want to do this), and the explosion is about 3X the size of the Burnout 3 crashbreaker -- very nice. The other significant change is ramming into traffic no longer causes your car to crash- instead it send the car flying, and you can use them as weapons to take down other cars.

So the demo isn't really worth the drive IMHO, but Burnout Revenge looks like a must-buy for Burnout fans.[/QUOTE]

You clearly have not spent more then 15 minutes with either the demo or Burnout 3. The graphics are SICK. They are so good its amazing. It has a grit to it that is hard to describe, it just feels real. The car models and textures look amazing, the reflections look twice as good as in Burnout 3. I've played the demo over a dozen times now and I can say I'm still in awe at the realism and the sense of speed. Since you are racing through a dirty section of the town there is shit blowing around everywhere, papers, cones, its awesome. There is a real sense of urgency when you mix the speed with the narrow alleys and flying through warehouses and buildings.

The gameplay is spot on, just like the last one. The crashbreaker could piss some people off in multiplayer, since you can drive someone into the wall and they will push B and blow you up as well. I'm not sure how that'll play out online, it could make me wary of driving people into the wall if I know I can't afford a crashbreaker. The multi-path tracks are going to get hard to get used to, being able to cut through a construction site may have its disadvantages but may put you ahead in the long run.

All in all its a great demo, its a great peak at what's to come.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']burnout 2 is plenty awesome on the cube[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and in my opinion it is still the standard by which the Burnout games should be judged by. Burnout 3 was awesome, but not quite as good.

I liked 2's crash mode better, otherwise, not even close.

I guess if I only had a 'Cube I'd make comments like that too.

[quote name='Scorch']XBox Live support on the demo?[/QUOTE]

Someone answer!

Got my copy at the Tustin, CA location. The odd thing was there was a sign stating it was free but with any purchase. Sorry Scorch no xbox live support.

Scorch: NO

I did pick up the demo (or rather sent my wife after she got off work) at BB. She said they had about a dozen for both the PS2, and Xbox. I played the demo when I got home (Xbox version) and it contains only one track, and one vehicle. The entire race last 2~3 minutes depending on how fast you go, then it shows some stills and selling points, and goes back to the main screen.

There is a tremendous sense of speed in this version, something I didn't feel at all playing the upcoming PSP Burnout title at E3. (Something I'm still disappointed in, can you tell?)

Well, like a tool I drove 40+ minutes round trip and of course the closest Best Buy didn't have it. I fucking hate Best Buy in general and this store in particular.

Every time I ask for something they never have it (even if the web site says it's in stock) and all the employees ever say is "Sir, we're a satellite store, check our other stores" in such a way like I'm bothering them. I know it's kind of annoying to be asked about a free video game demo, but I've had the same treatment for DVD's, DVD boxsets, digital cameras. . .

Meh.

bread's done
Back