(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jcarlon']Well I certainly don't want to screw anything up for anyone else. If thats a possibility I can still cancel the order. Although won't the codes still be in my account automatically?

EDIT - just realized there are pages of debate over this. Sorry, hadn't really read much of that before ordering/posting. I don't have a lot of money right now so I was simply looking to save as much as I can over the next year. Yes I realize not having enough money and buying a ton of games seems counter-intuitive but I just sold a ton of old dvds and cds and have put that money aside for this type of thing.

Anyways, if I need to cancel the order for the good of everyone else, I will.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would just leave your order be. What's done is done. And even if a lot of people had old codes AND were jumping on the stacking, it's probably just barely a drop in the bucket for Amazon. They probably sell a lot more games at full price to people daily who aren't aware of things like the ECA. Besides, you cancelling your order won't really do any good since your codes will likely stay in your account and will be applied to your next game purchase. You'd just be delaying the inevitable.

And, before any jumps down my throat, I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS RIGHT OR WRONG. I WANT NO PART IN THAT DEBATE. It's just that at this point, there's not much jcarlon can do. All those codes will be stacked in this order or will be for the next if he cancels his current one.

[quote name='IronSerif']Ok I was able to generate 4 total unique codes today (all started with a number). Two codes from one computer and two codes from another computer.

I input 2 codes first, and they were accepted fine and the proper discount appeared, bringing Uncharted 2 down to $45 and some change. I tried entering the third code, and the code appeared to be accepted, but no further discounts were applied.

Hope that was a bit more clearer![/QUOTE]

All right, then it really does look like only you lucked out, unless someone else was able to do the same. :applause:

[quote name='darknight88']so the newer codes begin with a number..I see.(so you stack "L/J/#" codes) How did you guys get those as no one can get a code till they release a new batch though? Maybe got lucky.[/QUOTE]

Some people just generated and saved codes in the past. The reason I have a J code in my account is because I didn't hit the generate code link today.

Item(s) Subtotal:$671.38Shipping & Handling:$15.38Gold Box Discount:whistle2:$2.85Super Saver Discount:whistle2:$15.38Promotion Applied:whistle2:$67.14Promotion Applied:whistle2:$67.14 -----Total Before Tax:$534.25Estimated Tax:$0.00 -----Grand Total:$534.25

It worked twice for me one with the J code and one with the new number code. I ordered like 10 games so a great deal to get at least 20% off with the codes. I guess you could triple stack with the real old codes that had a different letter. Too bad I didn't have any of those.

This is what is in my order:
Rachet $ 45.19 SMG2 $ 39.99 Metroid M $ 39.99 TLG $ 42.74 NSMB $ 37.59 Heavy Rain $ 45.59 Dante's Inferno $ 45.59 Borderlands $ 47.19 Demon's Soul DE $ 53.59 U2 $ 45.59 GT5 $ 45.59 GOW3 $ 45.59 $ 534.25

Wait, how are people generating multiple codes?

I just want to be able to generate one for myself whenever I'm going to order, without worrying about all this 24 hour stuff.

[quote name='Mugen Power']Some people just generated and saved codes in the past. The reason I have a J code in my account is because I didn't hit the generate code link today.[/QUOTE]

Do all J codes expire today? Or can they be used in the future? If they are already sitting in your account before the expiration date since I have cancelled pre-orders will they be applied to future orders?

[quote name='3rdbass']Do all J codes expire today? Or can they be used in the future? If they are already sitting in your account before the expiration date since I have cancelled pre-orders will they be applied to future orders?[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone else can answer that one as I can't.

L codes definitely expire today if you haven't used them. I think since j codes came, or like a day after, they took down the "expires 9/30" so we can't be sure on the j codes.

Now, for codes already applied to your account, who can say when they will expire if ever. People are re-using 50% off codes from the trade-in promo still, canceling and re-ordering things, and they had an expiration of 8/31.

[quote name='Vortextk']L codes definitely expire today if you haven't used them. I think since j codes came, or like a day after, they took down the "expires 9/30" so we can't be sure on the j codes.

Now, for codes already applied to your account, who can say when they will expire if ever. People are re-using 50% off codes from the trade-in promo still, canceling and re-ordering things, and they had an expiration of 8/31.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, too bad I can't clear my browser(work) as I would get a few more number codes. I guess I will wait to order a few more tonight like the new Zelda. I can't think of any other PS3 games I wanted that aren't on the list.

I just started throwing random games into my cart, just to see what would happen and the total got FREAKING huge. I'm not placing this order, BTW, but I did want to test out what was going on.

Now THIS is crazy:
Items: $4,169.69
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$416.97

Total Before Tax: $2,918.78
Estimated Tax: $277.23

[quote name='3rdbass']Do all J codes expire today? Or can they be used in the future? If they are already sitting in your account before the expiration date since I have cancelled pre-orders will they be applied to future orders?[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I'd assume that the codes expire today as far as inputting them into your Amazon account. I'm under the impression that after inputting them, the promotion is tied to your account and doesn't expire.

My logic flows from the old Amazon Trade-in promotion that gave you 50% off a gaming item. I believe that long after the codes were "expired" people were canceling preorders and reusing the promotion for new items. Given this, I'd say that the last day to input the codes for an order would be 9/30, but they'd stay in your account until you use them.

[quote name='3rdbass']Thanks, too bad I can't clear my browser(work) as I would get a few more number codes. I guess I will wait to order a few more tonight like the new Zelda. I can't think of any other PS3 games I wanted that aren't on the list.[/QUOTE]

Cool I figured how to get another number code at work within an hour of each other. So now what other games do I want since I have another cancelled J code in my account. Man too bad I didn't have the Old L code as this would be sweet. I wonder if these orders will be cancelled? Anyone know that has ordered more recent stuff?

I wish Super Street Fighter IV was available for preorder. Now I'm going to end up feeling gypped because I'll only get 10% off instead of 20%. :cool:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Wait, how are people generating multiple codes?

I just want to be able to generate one for myself whenever I'm going to order, without worrying about all this 24 hour stuff.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mugen Power']Maybe someone else can answer that one as I can't.[/QUOTE]
We're not allowed to discuss it, so fair warning.

I already had Uncharted 2 pre-ordered....with a ECA/Goldbox discount....so i decided to create another uncharted 2 order...and it doubled up....wondered if cancelling my existing one with the goldbox discount as well would make the eca discount on that one get added.....it did.... Uncharted is now 43 bucks for me...and i'm a new yorker...and get taxed on amazon so this is tremedous! thanks to whomever saved me a little extra!

[quote name='Vortextk']L codes definitely expire today if you haven't used them. I think since j codes came, or like a day after, they took down the "expires 9/30" so we can't be sure on the j codes.

Now, for codes already applied to your account, who can say when they will expire if ever. People are re-using 50% off codes from the trade-in promo still, canceling and re-ordering things, and they had an expiration of 8/31.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that once a code is applied, it's good for life.

[quote name='Jodou']We're not allowed to discuss it, so fair warning.[/QUOTE]

I was replying to 3rdbass's question since he quoted my post. I didn't think he was asking any of the taboo questions but I'm not really keeping up with what is and isn't allowed here. :roll:

Anyway, I'd like to apply my code to more preorders so as to make the most use of them but I really can't bring myself to do it when it comes down to it. GT5 is pretty much the only game that I will drop whatever game I'm currently playing and immediately play. All the others will probably get discounted by the time I get around to playing them that, ECA code or not, they'll be as cheap, if not cheaper, by the time I break the seal.

[quote name='flatliner718']I already had Uncharted 2 pre-ordered....with a ECA/Goldbox discount....so i decided to create another uncharted 2 order...and it doubled up....wondered if cancelling my existing one with the goldbox discount as well would make the eca discount on that one get added.....it did.... Uncharted is now 43 bucks for me...and i'm a new yorker...and get taxed on amazon so this is tremedous! thanks to whomever saved me a little extra![/QUOTE]

how did you get to keep U2 with the goldbox discount and then apply another 10% code if you had to cancel the order first? When I have done that I lost the gold box discount. Did you get in your gold box again? I mean it is only a few dollars but hey I'm cheap. LOL.

i have not yet been able to get U2 in my gold box. Since i have an old code.. i should probably use it today before it doesnt end up working.

Thinking about getting Modern Warfare 2. cant make up my mind on regular or hardened version

[quote name='3rdbass']how did you get to keep U2 with the goldbox discount and then apply another 10% code if you had to cancel the order first? When I have done that I lost the gold box discount. Did you get in your gold box again? I mean it is only a few dollars but hey I'm cheap. LOL.[/QUOTE]
Nah....sorry if i made it confusing..... my goldbox/eca discount order was more money than the 2 ECA codes doubled up. However canceling the goldbox/eca order released *the 3rd* eca one, so it stacked 3 ECA discounts to Uncharted......i hope i made sense that time....probably didn't

[quote name='flatliner718']Nah....sorry if i made it confusing..... my goldbox/eca discount order was more money than the 2 ECA codes doubled up. However canceling the goldbox/eca order released *the 3rd* eca one, so it stacked 3 ECA discounts to Uncharted......i hope i made sense that time....probably didn't[/QUOTE]

So you had the real old code starting with L? I only had the J code and the number code. Man I wish I had those real old codes 30% would have been sweet. $39.89 for U2 would have been sweet since I don't pay tax

[quote name='zohar']Question: if you cancel an order, does the promo go back into your account or does it just disappear?[/QUOTE]

The promo code for the 10% stays with your account to be used on your next gaming order. No expiration date once in your account.

[quote name='zohar']Question: if you cancel an order, does the promo go back into your account or does it just disappear?[/QUOTE]

stays with your account till you use it on a game purchase.(ECA code/ %off codes/credit)

Also I was trying to get Demon's Souls on GB so I made fake preorder then canceled to try to see if it would get in quick picks and now Amazon thinks I actually own the game and I cant delete it from my recommended list. Normally this only happens when Amazon actually ships the game to you. WTF this means I have no chance of DS on my GB :(

[quote name='darknight88']stays with your account till you use it on a game purchase.(ECA code/ %off codes/credit)

Also I was trying to get Demon's Souls on GB so I made fake preorder then canceled to try to see if it would get in quick picks and now Amazon thinks I actually own the game and I cant delete it from my recommended list. Normally this only happens when Amazon actually ships the game to you. WTF this means I have no chance of DS on my GB :([/QUOTE]

Make sure you un-rate it and uncheck that you own it if you haven't already. Sometimes it takes the system a little while to update. Check back later and see if it still says you own it.

[quote name='darknight88']Also I was trying to get Demon's Souls on GB so I made fake preorder then canceled to try to see if it would get in quick picks and now Amazon thinks I actually own the game and I cant delete it from my recommended list. Normally this only happens when Amazon actually ships the game to you. WTF this means I have no chance of DS on my GB :([/QUOTE]
Chill, mate. You never had a chance to get DS since it has not been eligible for at least a month and it's not likely to be added again.

[quote name='Jodou']Chill, mate. You never had a chance to get DS since it has not been eligible for at least a month and it's not likely to be added again.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Imma Cheap asser ight! Let me keep my hopes up!! :bouncy:

Well I've always known DS was a rare bite so Ill let it go. Coming in 6 days!!:booty:

Probably already mentioned but triple stacking requires the following sequence of codes starting with
L (expires 9/30)
J (expires 9/30?)
# (one per 24 hour period)

I got a J code yesterday and a # code today so not sure when it switches, the J code could have just been old.

Just Pre-ordered Assassin's Creed II. Was planning to wait to see if I could get it in my gold box (don't even know if it's possible on this one) but with the new codes decided to go for it at 20% off and free 2 day shipping (doing the Prime trial).

Item(s) Subtotal: $56.99 Shipping & Handling: $0.00 Promotion Applied: -$5.70 Promotion Applied: -$5.70 ----- Total Before Tax: $45.59 Estimated Tax: $0.00 ----- Grand Total: $45.59

So how foolish would be to email CS and tell them to add a newish ECA code for another 10% off when the said preorder already has an ECA code and credit? Would they see that and remove one or not do it at all? Just curious. Like I said got U2 preorder but dont want to lose the GoldBox discoiunt+Eca code.

[quote name='darknight88']So how foolish would be to email CS and tell them to add a newish ECA code for another 10% off when the said preorder already has an ECA code and credit? Would they see that and remove one or not do it at all? Just curious. Like I said got U2 preorder but dont want to lose the GoldBox discoiunt+Eca code.[/QUOTE]

I think it sounds like a great idea if your intent is to possibly ruin the stacking for everyone else on CAG. ;)

[quote name='darknight88']So how foolish would be to email CS and tell them to add a newish ECA code for another 10% off when the said preorder already has an ECA code and credit?[/QUOTE]

Very.

[quote name='darknight88']So how foolish would be to email CS and tell them to add a newish ECA code for another 10% off when the said preorder already has an ECA code and credit? Would they see that and remove one or not do it at all? Just curious. Like I said got U2 preorder but dont want to lose the GoldBox discoiunt+Eca code.[/QUOTE]

Well you know 20% is greater than 15%. Also, go ahead and do the doube stack now as you could always see U2 fall in your quick picks again even after purchasing the game. It has happened to me. Better to be safe with the 20%. You could always make another order with 20% off and why let Amazon know about it.

[quote name='i got id']this worked out for me on DJ hero renegade edition....saved an extra $20[/QUOTE]

worked for me too.. payin only $40 after coupons for a $200 game:D

eh worked for me when I tried it a while back

it was the only game I did it for though, mostly because I also had that $5 off coupon that Sony sent out

getting Uncharted 2 on release for under $40 :bouncy:

Damn, I was going to use my last L code today, but now I want to get the extra discount from all three preorders I currently have, but only have one # code! I have a few extra J codes, which I think expire 10/31 so
if anyone wants to trade a J code for a code beginning in a number, shoot me a PM! sometime soon too, since the orders I already used the L code on probably won't apply if I cancel, and reorder
Of course, none of that matters if anyone can confirm that the codes already entered into your Amazon account will still be used after they expire...

Any help appreciated!

Does anyone know if I add Amazon free prime trial membership to my acount so I can adjust my existing orders to 2 day free shipping? Right now it only shows FSSS and paid options. I know when I originally was buying the games before I processed my order that it was offeing the 2 day option with free trial. None of the orders ship until at least Oct. 6th.

[quote name='3rdbass']Does anyone know if I add Amazon free prime trial membership to my acount so I can adjust my existing orders to 2 day free shipping? Right now it only shows FSSS and paid options. I know when I originally was buying the games before I processed my order that it was offeing the 2 day option with free trial. None of the orders ship until at least Oct. 6th.[/QUOTE]You'd have to email customer service about it, and from what I've seen previously, it's 50-50 on them being able to do it.

Can't you just cancel and reorder the items in question after you picked up your Prime trial?

[quote name='3rdbass']Does anyone know if I add Amazon free prime trial membership to my acount so I can adjust my existing orders to 2 day free shipping? Right now it only shows FSSS and paid options. I know when I originally was buying the games before I processed my order that it was offeing the 2 day option with free trial. None of the orders ship until at least Oct. 6th.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can but only if there's a button to 'View or change order' and not just 'View order'. On the actual order page, 'Shipping Speed' must have a 'change' button next to it.

[quote name='3rdbass']Does anyone know if I add Amazon free prime trial membership to my acount so I can adjust my existing orders to 2 day free shipping? Right now it only shows FSSS and paid options. I know when I originally was buying the games before I processed my order that it was offeing the 2 day option with free trial. None of the orders ship until at least Oct. 6th.[/QUOTE]

I was able to do this last weekend, no problem. Of course, the orders I modified were preorders, one of which (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days) was due to ship out in another couple days. I didn't have to call or email them, either.

[quote name='shrike4242']You'd have to email customer service about it, and from what I've seen previously, it's 50-50 on them being able to do it.

Can't you just cancel and reorder the items in question after you picked up your Prime trial?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to since this is a big order with 20% extra off the games.

I'm not sure whether we should be dreading or thanking that GIMAG code. On one hand, the huge influx of new members has resulted in codes going way faster and stacking multiple codes has become viable as a result. On the other hand, the codes might go away for that very reason. I can't imagine Amazon is going to be cool about this for very long. If that happens, we'll all learn a very important lesson about greed and then quickly forget it when the next great deal comes around.

[quote name='bcb4589']So do these new # codes expire tomorrow also?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it but I guess we'll find out ;)
Even the previous 'J' codes didn't explicitly state an expiration of 9/30 so it's possible unused 'J' codes could work as well.

On the triple stacking codes: I felt bad enough using the double stack but it's almost ridiculous at this point...but on the other hand I do love saving money :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back