Free full 1 year eca membership no purchase needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beats me. Personally, I'm likely to stay signed up come next year if I end up using the discount as much as I expect. Then again, I am one of those wackos who will stick with something that works for me.

Glad I waited... Suckas!

But seriously, this is the basis of all things(referring to all things getting cheaper, even to the point of free). So I don't think anyone needs to get up in arms about it. I also think that paying $19.99 for a years worth of 10% off, is a literal steal. I plan to renew if the discount continues. I also don't think they were completely oblivious to how many people this could get out to..

Or maybe I should just shut the hell up.

This got posted on Slickdeals' front page. Expect the Amazon discount, and any other worthwhile discounts they have, to get canned exceptionally fast. Anything that gets posted on Slickdeals, from CAG, usually gets canned fast and this will probably be no exception.

I dunno. It was printed in GI magazine, so they have to be prepared for a large influx of new users.

Anyway, MAG just showed up in my Gold Box this evening, and I was able to use another code towards it.

Man - 18 pages in this thread just since this evening. Wow...

Yeah, I don't expect anything positive out of this, that's for sure. Hopefully nothing changes, but we'll see. Am I going to hoard a few codes right now before they run out again? You damn well bet I am. I paid for those bastards!

Still, though, I've made enough off the gold box quick picks discounts to make up for my ECA membership so I'm not too upset about the fact that I paid for it. Like many others, though (and I didn't read the whole thread to see), it's more about the possibility of a good thing being ruined that upsets me more.

I better lock in Demon's Souls before the ECA codes get canned. I was really hoping to wait it out to show up in my quick picks, but I don't think that was gonna happen anyway. At least I got tons of other stuff locked in with gold box + ECA + trade-in promo code (Katamari Forever, Mario & Luigi, NSMB 2, Mario Galaxy 2, Last Guardian, Resonance of Fate, Golden Sun DS, Metroid Other M, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and a few others).

Yes, it's good until used. I'm wondering now is it really possible to "hoard" the codes? Sorry, I haven't been following this much, but I figure it is entirely possible to "regenerate" an unused code--do the script such that if a code is generated by the web page and isn't used within a specific time, then it automatically gets moved back into the pool.

[quote name='gunm']Yes, it's good until used. I'm wondering now is it really possible to "hoard" the codes? Sorry, I haven't been following this much, but I figure it is entirely possible to "regenerate" an unused code--do the script such that if a code is generated by the web page and isn't used within a specific time, then it automatically gets moved back into the pool.[/QUOTE]

It seems that way. Some people have had luck hoarding codes, others have had their hoarded codes come back as used.

A good method is to get a code and apply it to your shopping cart even if you don't have any games in it. Then when you finally decide to buy a game, the code has already been applied to you even if they're out of new codes. However, I have no idea if this method will hold up against the 9/30 expiration date.

gunm - That may very well be, but I know they last a few days anyway and I was really hurting the last time they ran out and had to pass on a few things in my gold box quick picks. Next time I order something I'm going to try to use one I made about a week ago and see how it goes (or I could just test it now on anything I suppose).

So I'm not saying I'm generating 50 of them or something as that would be counterproductive. But I am keeping a handful available at all times for the inevitable depletion.

Signed up alright. That's all you do is click to generate a code and it works on any game on amazon?

I hope this doesn't end their discount deal with amazon - then again, maybe they planned on cancelling it and just needed an excuse, so they gave memberships to everybody and their grandma. Or maybe they won't cancel it at all. You never know. I don't know: I'm talking out my ass. Thanks for for the opportunity, though!

[quote name='doodofdoods']any codes you hoard now will expire on 9/30.[/QUOTE]

Well, clearly. It's not for that, it is for them running out say, in the middle of next week and then taking a week to get them back online again with the time running out (and we never knew even before this free business if they'd renew them after Sept. 30th). What I'll do towards the end of the month is preorder everything I've been waiting on and get the codes locked into actual games. Then I can worry about what happens later. I've been trying to maximize my cheapassedness by getting them as gold box qucik picks, and then stacking ECA (and my trade-in promo codes). But towards the end of Sept I'll skip the gold box discount if necessary to make sure I at least get the ECA.

[quote name='gunm']I dunno. It was printed in GI magazine, so they have to be prepared for a large influx of new users.

Anyway, MAG just showed up in my Gold Box this evening, and I was able to use another code towards it.[/QUOTE]
Tell me the secret man. I can't get anything good in my gold box at all.

Just signed up. Buy when I go to benefits section it states "access denied" and I am logged in. What gives?

Update: Its working now. It took about 5 minutes. Thanks man.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lllGurulll']Tell me the secret man. I can't get anything good in my gold box at all.[/QUOTE]

lol same thing with me cant get anything good in my gold box.whats the secret ingredient

[quote name='MrEKO73']Just signed up. Buy when I go to benefits section it states "access denied" and I am logged in. What gives?[/QUOTE]

same here. i'm actually kinda confused now haha i want my discount like the cheap bastard that i am.

I just redid all my pre-orders. My luck with items I really want in the Gold Box Quick Picks is really poor, regardless of how much I "shape" my recommendations, viewed history, and everything else people believe affects that--I dunno why. MAG just popped into the Gold Box as of today, so I jumped on it. Usually I get non-game stuff or game stuff I'm not interested in.

[quote name='gunm']I just redid all my pre-orders. My luck with items I really want in the Gold Box Quick Picks is really poor, regardless of how much I "shape" my recommendations, viewed history, and everything else people believe affects that--I dunno why. MAG just popped into the Gold Box as of today, so I jumped on it. Usually I get non-game stuff or game stuff I'm not interested in.[/QUOTE]
So do you just constantly mark everything not interested until something finally pops up?

Thanks OP. I joined but mostly to use the codes during Black Friday and the occasional DotD/trade-in promo (if they ever return).

[quote name='lllGurulll']So do you just constantly mark everything not interested until something finally pops up?[/QUOTE]

Sort of. IIRC, people report the best success when their list is very short with only the stuff they want most. I just can't confirm that by my own experience.

There's a thread in here somewhere that discusses it, I'm just to lazy to look it up.

[quote name='lolwaut']i think i hear a violin.[/QUOTE]

I dont care who you are, $15 is something. For me thats 2 days of lunch at work. I worked 12 hours yesterday night. So dont give me shit for saying what others are thinking.

What a double whammy... Many of us missed out on the free membership and then we will be losing the only real benefit of signing up in the first place.

omg awesome. probably the best reason for Game Informer to have existed ever! :D
I always wanted to support the ECA but I don't buy that many games outside of ones on discount, only very few are new purchases.

How this is good for business I seriously have no idea, my take on this is that it's bad for Amazon.

Quantity does not make up for negative margins. It doesn't matter how much business Amazon will get this holiday season because of these free membership/codes, this will probably make them lose money on every new release. The more they sell, the more they lose.

Was going to sign up the other day, but didn't get to it. For once, my procrastination pays off! Thanks very much OP.

[quote name='vince726']where on amazon do you sign up for this..[/QUOTE]I don't know if Amazon has any direct links to the ECA or not, but you sign up for ECA membership at www.theeca.com.

OMG, thanks for that code :bow:, I signed up, and managed to save like $5-$6 already on B2G1 Platinum Hits at Amazon.

I'll probably pay next year though, it's a really great deal if you buy alot of games from Amazon.

Thanks OP... I was holding off on getting an ECA membership since I do not order too much from Amazon, but who can pass up a free membership.

With ECA, you pay $48 for most new releases. That's without factoring in Gold Box and possible $5-$10 credit codes. I highly doubt Amazon is making money at that price, seeing how they not only need to pay for the game (at least $48), but also things like shipping and other operating costs (running the business, warehouse, employees, website, etc.)

If the 10% code was so beneficial to Amazon's business, why didn't they just further slash their video game prices by 10% so that everyone will have access to it? This is a dumb move on ECA's part, and I foresee Amazon cutting out the promotion altogether in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back