Free GS exclusive Kid Icarus AR Card Today only

kfrancia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For those that are collecting the Kid Icarus AR cards, Gamestop is giving away an exclusive pack for free today. It is from 1 PM to 4 PM at select locations.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/kidicarus/

Edit: According to a reader at joystiq the cards are
"Eggplant Wizard, Fiends Cauldron, Skyscraper Club, Firework Cannons, and Minos, along with possible random packs."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/14/pick-up-some-kid-icarus-ar-cards-today-at-gamestop/

Edit 2: Just picked up a pack. All I did was ask about it and he asked if I wanted to try the game. I told him I already own it and he just gave me the pack. There were a couple people instore but not for the event. They had a stack of around 100+ on the counter.
The cards in my deck were: Eggplant Wizard, Fiends Cauldron, Skyscraper Club, Firework Cannons, and Minos.
I'm not sure about the random packs, forgot to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='trunks982']did u guys know that if someone posted up a picture of it on the internet, u can actually scan the card to your game.[/QUOTE]

B-But that's piracy!

Wish I had known about this in advance!

A few stores not too far away are having the event, but I'm having friends over for a BBQ so I can't exactly leave the house. :(

[quote name='admiralvic']I think im going to call this YMMV, but I walked in asked if this was a location doing the Kid Icarus event. The guy working said yes and said the cards are in back. As we were walking there he asked if I wanted to test the game or just the cards and I told him I already owned it. He went in back, then handed me my cards no problem. I kindly thanked him and left.[/QUOTE]

Definitely YMMV, I'm working today but my girlfriend, her mother and her GRANDMOTHER went down for me and were each able to get a pack from the one store in Rhode Island participating. I might try and get down there myself before 4pm but I guess it was pretty crazy down there

[quote name='snakeinthegrass']Definitely YMMV, I'm working today but my girlfriend, her mother and her GRANDMOTHER went down for me and were each able to get a pack from the one store in Rhode Island participating. I might try and get down there myself before 4pm but I guess it was pretty crazy down there[/QUOTE]

Thats weird. There was 1 person in the store with me when I went and it seemed like no one was interested in this place at all.

Nobody in my stote at 1 and got a pack by just asking. there was a sign that said it was also on may 12 for a pack.

Walked in around 1:30 and the store was empty except for some guy and his baby and 3 employees. Asked about the "Kid Icarus thing" and the manager said she wasn't sure what all it entailed. I said "something about free cards?" which prompted dude to hand 3 packs over to me. She said we have those but we don't have the download thing (?), I just said thanks and bailed.

EDIT:
Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not asking about the "possible random packs", anybody get anything besides the default pack of 5 we know of?

Last edited by a moderator:
amazingly no stores having the event near me unless i travel more than 10 miles. There are like 15 stores between here and that one in west covina and none are having it lol

It's kinda funny seeing people complain about stores less than 30 minutes away... My closest GS having the event is TWO HOURS one way. :(

I would totally drive it, if not for the fact that I managed to get these cards from EBGames.ca as part of that pre-order deal (though had to have someone from Canada order and re-ship).

In fact, I called this morning to find out if they were doing more than just the pack of five cards just to make sure I didn't want to make the drive.

If I had a store doing this less than 30 minutes away, I'd go just to grab some extras for trading. :D

[quote name='RockmanPET']amazingly no stores having the event near me unless i travel more than 10 miles. There are like 15 stores between here and that one in west covina and none are having it lol[/QUOTE]

Yep me too.. oh well.

Only store near me doing the event is on the other side of town, and my car is acting up. -__-

May still try to head over anyway.

My local store had a display with a 3DS and big AR cards with a Nintendo rep handing out the cards. I stayed around and tested out the display 3DS with the big AR cards. The rep took my picture and I guess since I was a good sport about it they gave me an extra 10 pack of cards from a previous event they had. Not too shabby.

Got my cards and had a lovely conversation with the Nintendo rep that was there. if you guys go in, this is your opportunity to tell them the kinda of things you want to see out next, they do feed those comments up. :)

Got them as well. The guy was cool and told me about the other cards to get that I knew about anyway (Game Informer, Nintendo Power, Best Buy). Did snag two pink puzzle pieces from him though :D Didn't ask about random packs sadly

[quote name='apterous']Got my cards and had a lovely conversation with the Nintendo rep that was there. if you guys go in, this is your opportunity to tell them the kinda of things you want to see out next, they do feed those comments up. :)[/QUOTE]

But will they poop out an egg like Yoshi?

Went to a local store, there was NO event, no Nintendo rep, just a normal day at the store. The cards were behind the counter and only given upon request.

I drove past 5 GameStops to get to the one actually hosting the event. There was no Nintendo rep there - the cashier just had a giant bag of card packs, and just gave me one. He said they were all the same, and the six other people in the store basically agreed. The cashier also said that in the next couple of weeks, more stores should have the packs available. I have no idea if any of that stuff is correct, but at least I got one pack for my trouble.

Got mine. Yeah, there wasn't really an event going on. I told the guy I heard they were doing something for Kid Icarus and he basically handed me the pack of cards (same ones from the OP).

Kind of disappointed, I actually brought my 3DS but didn't get any Streetpasses :( Thought maybe they'd have a demo unit or something I could streetpass with :) hehe

For the only store about 40 minutes away the nintendo rep didn't bother to show up to change out their demo unit but they gave me two packs. I already had a set from the BestBuy event a couple weeks ago...Nintendo Rep there gave me this set and 2 booster packs. At least I can add these to my trade set.

[quote name='dchrisd']Whats the big deal with these cards? What do they do? I don't own Kid Icarus (waiting til the price drops).[/QUOTE]

They are worth money for reselling is why I'd imagine why some people want them. For gameplay reasons, they give you a 3d trophy in the game and data about the item/character. In addition you can have the cards battle each other using the ar camera. You also get hearts to buy new weapons in the game whenever you scan in a card.

Since you can just scan the cards off websites where people have scanned them in, the cards themselves are kind of pointless unless you are just wanting to collect them. A lot of these sets have been either magazine or retailer exclusives, so once they are gone, you'll have a hard time finding them down the line.

Just got back from my store, apparently only a few other people went in for them, so they had this huge UPS box just filled with them lol.

Asked for a second set for a friend, and the guy just tossed 3 packs on the table and said "All yours dude". So i'll have one for me, one to give to a friend, and one for the dude at Best Buy who always holds pre-orders for me (I always streetpass him and i know he has Kid Icarus lol)

Went to my fourth - or maybe fifth - closest GS. Still only about 5 miles away so no big deal. One kid was playing with a cashier, he was only up to level 3 and hadn't played online before so a lot of explaining going on. My 9 year old walked over and the guy handed him the 5 pack of cards. He then brought out the table and the 3 of them played a match then the guy had to get back to work b/c the place was really crowded, nobody else looking for Kid Icarus though.
At the recommendation of the mom of the other kid we drove about 10 miles to Best Buy to pick up Gamer and get some more free cards but I didn't know it was $5. The beautiful - who knew? - BB woman told me I could get the mag w/ a subscription but told her I was already a GS Pro member so I'ld pass. She then called me a traitor. I then told her I wouldn't sign up b/c they would be bankrupt before the 1 year was up. Admittedly not my smoothest pick-up line. Anyway we left empty handed.
On a related note - anybody buy this from Gamefly? I clicked on KEEP and something's in the mail but I was wondering if we would get the cards and/or stand.

[quote name='rjejr']Went to my fourth - or maybe fifth - closest GS. Still only about 5 miles away so no big deal. One kid was playing with a cashier, he was only up to level 3 and hadn't played online before so a lot of explaining going on. My 9 year old walked over and the guy handed him the 5 pack of cards. He then brought out the table and the 3 of them played a match then the guy had to get back to work b/c the place was really crowded, nobody else looking for Kid Icarus though.
At the recommendation of the mom of the other kid we drove about 10 miles to Best Buy to pick up Gamer and get some more free cards but I didn't know it was $5. The beautiful - who knew? - BB woman told me I could get the mag w/ a subscription but told her I was already a GS Pro member so I'ld pass. She then called me a traitor. I then told her I wouldn't sign up b/c they would be bankrupt before the 1 year was up. Admittedly not my smoothest pick-up line. Anyway we left empty handed.
On a related note - anybody buy this from Gamefly? I clicked on KEEP and something's in the mail but I was wondering if we would get the cards and/or stand.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='rjejr'] Admittedly not my smoothest pick-up line.[/QUOTE]
So you were trying to hit on the BB sales women by telling her she would loose her job in a year? Granted I am out of the dating scene because of marriage but is this the new way to go?

drove to a gamestop about 20 minutes away and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the nintendo rep was.

gave me a pack of cards and said i can scan all the cards she had on her (which was around 40)

[quote name='TooPoor']So you were trying to hit on the BB sales women by telling her she would loose her job in a year? Granted I am out of the dating scene because of marriage but is this the new way to go?[/QUOTE]

He's hoping fear of unemployment will cause her to turn to him?

[quote name='kitsunisan']He's hoping fear of unemployment will cause her to turn to him?[/QUOTE]
Wait. Is that the wrong tactic? Maybe that's why I'm single.

I totally didn't know this was going on until seeing this thread, but I went to my Gamestop shortly before 7pm and was still able to get the cards.

Wanted to swing by Gamestop so I could snag some of these, but was too busy today. Oh well, not like they'd get much use anyways- my 3DS is a dust collector.

got my pack today... was at my local GS anyway, so I made a quick trip in and played stage 1. No nintendo reps on site, just the local GS guys. Hooray for Eggplant wizard!

My friend and I each got a pack. It was Eggplant Wizard, some Weapon Cards, and random bad guy cards? Did anyone else get different cards or were the packs all the same?

i got 2 boosters and 2 packs from nintendo rep lady. we talked for a bit she was really nice. prolly couldve gotten a lot more boosters but i didnt want to be greedy as it was only 1pm and i had to head to work. the next event on may 12th though ill be off work so ill prolly hang out and see if i can get more.

Also had a nice experience with rep at my local Gamestop. Got the pack of cards, scanned a few other extra on the table, and tried out some of recently released Spirit Camera (which was cool, if only gimmicky). No official tournament held, but a couple of guys who showed up played some local light vs dark matches with the rep for fun. It was a good time.

[quote name='Tygamr']Oh well, not like they'd get much use anyways- my 3DS is a dust collector.[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that, my galaxy black literally seems to attract a lot of dust. Like static or something.

Got a pack today. No signage, no Nintendo rep, no playing of Kid Icarus of any kind. Just the usual mix of sad-eyed adults and hyperactive, sticky-looking children. I got to the front of the line and asked about the cards, the serious-looking guy behind the counter just nodded and handed me one from this discrete pile on that used-game purgatory desk behind the register.

I think it must be built on an Indian graveyard or something because that GameStop, while brand new, always just gives off a weird, despondent vibe to me. Maybe its just that I had to drive out of my way to go to that particular GameStop. Or that it can be the middle of the day but never seems to be getting direct sunlight through the windows.

Oh, almost forgot - Thanks Op! Would have totally missed this if I hadn't checked CAG this morning.

bread's done
Back