Free Portal (PC/Mac) via Steam until May 24th!

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

Portal used to cost money. Until May 24th, it's free. End of story.

Well, technically speaking, there are some strings attached. Fortunately, they're entirely decorative. We just like the way they look, swaying in the gentle breeze created by a million people simultanously fainting from shock at the news that Portal is free. Now you have no reason not to try Portal.

"I have a reason," some of you are probably typing into an angry email. "You see, sir, I own a Mac."

Well guess what: For the first time ever, Portal is also available for the Mac.

"Capitol news! But the excellent puzzle adventure Portal won over 40 Game of the Year awards; Surely it must cost at least five or six hundred dollars."

You'd think that, especially since it actually won over 70 Game of the Year Awards. But, like we keep saying, Portal is free. Free on the Mac. Free on the PC. But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.

Good for free download. Beat the game sometime ago (2008?) but still good game to play again. I have to go play the last stages as it is definitely a interesting game.

I wish I could transfer over my 360 save file and achievements, but I guess that wouldn't really make much of a difference with such a short story mode.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I like the game, I absolutely hate the song and meme's that go with it.[/QUOTE]

Then you hate music. "Still Alive" is one of the greatest songs to ever come from a vifdeo game. I understand your distaste for memes, but, c'mon. That song is farking brilliant.

[quote name='plong']Then you hate music. "Still Alive" is one of the greatest songs to ever come from a vifdeo game. I understand your distaste for memes, but, c'mon. That song is farking brilliant.[/QUOTE]

No, I just love too much music, and I don't like settling to mediocrity and borderline parody.

I just finished up my last final for the semester about 30 minutes ago, and I come back to find this. Freaking awesome.

I love you, OP.

Valve is the coolest damn company. Don't regret any money I've sent their way. Definitely going to be jumping on Portal 2 as soon as I can.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Valve is the coolest damn company. Don't regret any money I've sent their way. Definitely going to be jumping on Portal 2 as soon as I can.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I seriously can't wait.

[quote name='jab1235']have it, played it, liked it, lost my hard drive :( gota start over...[/QUOTE]

Well, hope you've got three hours to spare :)

Man, I love steam. Downloading Portal at 2500 kb/s (2.5mb/s) on my Mac.. I can't wait for more games to become available!

Slightly off-topic, but can you rename Steam games? For example, I want to rename "Deathmatch Classic" to something like "Half-Life Deathmatch." Would like to clean up and organize my games list.

^ you can set categories to clean up your list.

but as for the games, no I don't think you can rename unless it's a custom shortcut added game.

[quote name='jab1235']have it, played it, liked it, lost my hard drive :( gota start over...[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised they never added Steam Cloud support to the game.

But anyway, glad everyone can get Portal now! Steam is an absolutely awesome service/program. I hope this helps more people embrace it.

For those who haven't got a chance to play it, you'll love it. Not only is it fun to play through, just messing around to see what the game is capable of doing is awesome. And who doesn't love CAKE!

one thing that irritates me is that the official store page says that it comes with the source sdk. but i cannot find it under tools ?

[quote name='plong']Then you hate music. "Still Alive" is one of the greatest songs to ever come from a vifdeo game. I understand your distaste for memes, but, c'mon. That song is farking brilliant.[/QUOTE]

+1

It's an incredibly well-crafted song, and one of the funnier video game moments I've ever experienced. Was really an inspired way to end the game.

Portal is a great game even if you have to pay for it. If you pass it up for free, you qualify neither as cheap-ass nor gamer.

I'm leaning towards this being a limited full demo.. if you read the page carefully, it says:

But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging

If you only have a few days to decide if the free copy is worth purchasing, that seems to imply "demo"...

we'll see I guess..

edit:
or it could just mean that you have a few days to decide if "free" is worth the price I guess..

Steam on Mac seems a bit buggy, but it's 1.0 so I'm sure the bugs will get worked out. It crashes sometimes (my Portal download got to 99% overnight and then it crashed, but it was able to continue the download) and every time I try to download the Quantz demo it ends up (apparently) giving me the PC version and says that it's not available on my platform (and I can't run the file it downloads). The game is listed as PC/Mac with SteamPlay. Still, free Portal and Steam on Mac? What's not to love? I also download the Torchlight demo and that seems quite good. It's on sale for the weekend for 50% off ($9.99). I may have to take advantage of that.

[quote name='Hodaka']I'm leaning towards this being a limited full demo.. if you read the page carefully, it says:

If you only have a few days to decide if the free copy is worth purchasing, that seems to imply "demo"...

edit:
or it could just mean that you have a few days to decide if "free" is worth the price I guess..[/QUOTE]

Knowing Valve its just them saying "do you think it's worth free?!" not limited demo. Valves pretty stand up.

[quote name='Hodaka']I'm leaning towards this being a limited full demo.. if you read the page carefully, it says:

we'll see I guess..

edit:
or it could just mean that you have a few days to decide if "free" is worth the price I guess..[/QUOTE]
There is good reason to believe that, as long as you download the game before May 24, it will be yours permanently.

[quote name='62t']does this include the still alive version on xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

No but I believe you can hunt down those maps elsewhere for "Free", since I believe that the Still Alive collection was simply a sampling of modded maps.

[quote name='crunchewy']Steam on Mac seems a bit buggy, but it's 1.0 so I'm sure the bugs will get worked out. It crashes sometimes (my Portal download got to 99% overnight and then it crashed, but it was able to continue the download) and every time I try to download the Quantz demo it ends up (apparently) giving me the PC version and says that it's not available on my platform (and I can't run the file it downloads). The game is listed as PC/Mac with SteamPlay. Still, free Portal and Steam on Mac? What's not to love? I also download the Torchlight demo and that seems quite good. It's on sale for the weekend for 50% off ($9.99). I may have to take advantage of that.[/QUOTE]
I've had a couple of crashes, but Quantz seems to work fine on my Intel iMac.

[quote name='plutoknight']No but I believe you can hunt down those maps elsewhere for "Free", since I believe that the Still Alive collection was simply a sampling of modded maps.[/QUOTE] The extra maps in the XBLA version is simply the maps in "Portal: The Flash Version map pack", which PC users can download for free at their website

Also, another huge unofficial map pack was released called Portal Prelude

There are a bunch of games that show as supporting the Mac, but when I download the demos they seem to be for Windows and say that the game is not available on my platform: Galcon Fusion, another game from the Indie Bundle I'm forgetting, and Quantz. I suspect that if you buy the games, the full versions are Mac versions, but the demos seem to be Windows versions and Steam stupidly downloads them anyway. Anyone else seeing this? Other games, the demos work fine, such as Torchlight (which I ended up buying - fun game!)

bread's done
Back