Free VC Games for Christmas?!

ZoneFighter

CAG Veteran
If you have User Agent Switcher installed in Firefox try this...
Use this for a User Agent...
Opera/9.00 (Nintendo Wii; U; ; 1038-58; Wii Shop Channel/1.0; en)

And try these URLS...
http://oss.shop.wii.com/oss/common/vc/B_05.jsp?order=new&language=en&country=US&titleId=0001000146414745
http://oss.shop.wii.com/oss/common/vc/B_05.jsp?order=new&language=en&country=US&titleId=000100014D414A45
http://oss.shop.wii.com/oss/common/vc/B_05.jsp?order=new&language=en&country=US&titleId=0001000150414445

Could we be getting Super Mario Brothers, Toejam & Earl and R-Type as Christmas Gifts from Nintendo? The pages show the price as Free, 0 Points!

(I found this on this site...
http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4622/
via a link on Digg.)

As it was explained to me, it's just not showing the pages properly since you're not viewing them in the shop. But hey, who knows, maybe they'll give us Christmas presents.

Is this the surprise Reggie was talking about? Because you know what, if they do this, and I honestly DON'T believe they will, but if they do, then all the props in the world go out to Nintendo. It can only reinforce the fanbase and help people actually appreciate getting their system early.

That and it's just plain nice of them.

Well they better give away SMB free, there is no way in hell am I paying $5 for it (because I owned the NES and still own the GBC version), but hey free TJ&E and R-Type, that would top off my christmas.

i hope they do this. since most of us have camped in the cold to get our systems. well i hope this happens and in animal crossing didn't they give you a gift on christmas day???? refresh my memory

you all know they wont, you guys are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. This is Nintendo we are talking about, how often do they come through besides making great games...

The only thing free Nintendo has ever given away was an ass kicking by Reggie, so I'm not really thinking this will happen.

[quote name='Strell']The only thing free Nintendo has ever given away was an ass kicking by Reggie, so I'm not really thinking this will happen.[/QUOTE]

He even charges to when he takes names?

[quote name='foltzie']He even charges to when he takes names?[/QUOTE]

Well it's more like you have to buy an all new identity after that, so it's kinda sorta isn't really all that free.

Remember when Nintendo Power gave away a free copy of Dragon Warrior when you subscribed? That was awesome.

But, yeah, don't think these will be free, I think its already been debunked on some news blogs.

Ok, Pinball and Tennis for the NES is $5 in points... but you think their gonna give SMB, R-Type, and/or TJ&E for free? Please. They wont give one of them for free, and sure as hell not all three.

You Christmas present, is that you can buy the game Nintendo has re-realeased 20 times. Merry Christmas.

The GBC version of Super Mario Brothers is the end all be all version of that game. The emulation it spot on and the bonus games and activities are also great fun to mess around with. If you want SMB and you have a system that plays GBC games I would HIGHLY reccomend getting that instead of the Wii version.

Did Nintendo make Toe Jam and Earl? I doubt they would give it away if they didnt make it.

My bet is on only SMB being free, if anything is.

i hate to ask, but if someone could take some screenshots and PM them to me I would really appreciate it. I can't seem to get the page to load for some reason, even using User Switcher.

I ask for them to be PM'd so everyone else doesn't have to suffer longer load times just to view the page on my account.

thanx

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']The GBC version of Super Mario Brothers is the end all be all version of that game.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The fact that you had to move the camera up and down to see everything was quite annoying. It's a great update to it, but far from the definitive version.

[quote name='Scorch']What's so special about TJ&E, anyway? I've always been meaning to play it..[/QUOTE]

It's basically a dungeon hack type game (Nethack, Diablo) except totally nuts. Aliens as the main characters, tons of presents that give you different items, no direct combat, etc. It's really good, and probably held up well.

I liked the sequel too, though it was completely different.

The third one on the X-Box seemed too fast and like too much was going on. (Plus I wish it had hit other systems!)

[quote name='furyk']What are you talking about? The fact that you had to move the camera up and down to see everything was quite annoying. It's a great update to it, but far from the definitive version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I think. Sure it's got all kinds of extras, but that fact that you can't even see the whole screen at once IMO makes it overall worse than the original. It was still fun though. (And one of the many reasons I wish the DS supported GB/GBC games).

Regarding the not free free games, I'd be MUCH happier if Nintendo switched to reasonable DRM and even doubling the price would be fine with me-just so long as I actually own the game and can run them on future Wiis.

[quote name='Scorch']What's so special about TJ&E, anyway? I've always been meaning to play it..[/QUOTE]

its just fun. the characters are funny. the music is enjoyable. the levels are generated randomlly and the presents (items you use in the game) are always random too. so each time to you play its going to be a little different than last time. and then to top it off, its a 2 player co-op game, so you get to enjoy it with a friend.

[quote name='strikeratt']/Pray I can get r-type for free[/quote]Me too, I only have 1200 points left and well there are no points cards around. I am between TJ&E and R-Type.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Me too, I only have 1200 points left and well there are no points cards around. I am between TJ&E and R-Type.[/QUOTE]

You know you can buy points directly right?

I know its not a CAG discount, but in a bind its not more expensive than you would pay at a retail shop.

Actually it's usually cheaper since most stores are price gouging on those cards, charging an extra $5.

[quote name='foltzie']You know you can buy points directly right?

I know its not a CAG discount, but in a bind its not more expensive than you would pay at a retail shop.[/quote] Yeah but I don't have a credit card. It's pretty sad that they tax those damn things, but oh well.

As much as I'd love them to be free, I think it would be a mistake for Nintendo to do it, especially this soon after their release - it would really piss off people who have already bought them (unless Nintendo credits their accounts for the purchase price). IMO, if downloads are made free, they should either be so at launch, or a long time after.

[quote name='guessed']As much as I'd love them to be free, I think it would be a mistake for Nintendo to do it, especially this soon after their release - it would really piss off people who have already bought them (unless Nintendo credits their accounts for the purchase price). IMO, if downloads are made free, they should either be so at launch, or a long time after.[/quote]It is not ALL downloads, the rumor is it is just this weeks games that will be released on the 25th, not every one.

Gah, anyone else notice R-Type has an 800 point cost instead of 600 like other TG16 games?

I only have 1400 points left and was set to get TJ&E + R-Type. Now I'm 200 points short. :bomb:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It is not ALL downloads, the rumor is it is just this weeks games that will be released on the 25th, not every one.[/quote]

My mistake. For some reason I thought they had already been released. I've only been to the Shop channel once.

bread's done
Back