Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='judgedee']didn't work for me. I signed up for the card today online printed out a temporary card then the cashier scanned the card then the game and it was still $5.00[/QUOTE]

Location? Did you sign up for the Gamer's Club as well? Which game did you try?

[quote name='sauron07']Thanks OP! Worked just as described. Cashier started to say $10.34 and then everything zeroed out and and he was stunned. I could practically hear the gears turning in his head thinking about picking up U2 and R&C after his shift.[/QUOTE]

Almost the same thing happened to me. Except that the lady who rung me up thought it was a mistake, and rescanned it AND asked another cashier if it was right. She was also about to not give me the preorder boxes, but then again her name tag said she worked in Customer Service, so maybe she didn't know.

Worked as described. Thanks OP.
Basically, the pre-order bonuses are free, and you could end up getting the game for $55.00, instead of the $60.00 msrp. As to whether that's the best offer for either game come launch week, we won't know until later.

[quote name='pixi']So the game would be $55 or $0?[/QUOTE]

I assume the games would be $55 if you were to pick them up. If you preoder it now for the bonus with RZ card, you are getting $5 off the preorder.

[quote name='Wario64']How would you get the $5 discount though when you pick up the game? The receipt says you paid $0.00, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it would be automatic, much like this glitch is. If it's not, then you're obviously not obligated to pick up your game from Bestbuy.

I doubt that $5.00 off is the best you can do on these, since these highly visible Sony titles often get much better discounts from different retailers...or we hope.

wth... like i said i signed up for rewards zone and gamers zone today. printed out the temporary cards. went to 2 different best buys. first one i tried card first then box and was charged 5.47 and then i went to a different best buy and tried box then card and still charged 5.47... i must be missing something.

edit:

the game was uncharted(obviously lol) and it was in san jose.

[quote name='judgedee']wth... like i said i signed up for rewards zone and gamers zone today. printed out the temporary cards. went to 2 different best buys. first one i tried card first then box and was charged 5.47 and then i went to a different best buy and tried box then card and still charged 5.47... i must be missing something.[/QUOTE]

maybe try buying two at one time, uncharted and brutal legend. The deal is buy preorder get $10 off a game $29.99 or more (per flyer). The glitch is it's applying to games lower than $29.99 and obviously it considers a preorder to be a game.

wasn't planning on pre-ordering the game, but now that I see this I think I'm going to try it. Thanks OP.

[quote name='neiname']maybe try buying two at one time, uncharted and brutal legend. The deal is buy preorder get $10 off a game $29.99 or more (per flyer). The glitch is it's applying to games lower than $29.99 and obviously it considers a preorder to be a game.[/QUOTE]

well from the way the OP posted he said he bought two individual games. hmmm

Worked flawlessly! I got both on one transaction. The cashier had to click okay to accept the coupon. At first, she was like "Those games are free???!", but I explained that it was just a pre-order and the Reward Zone only took $5 off.

3945698500_b7426a7dee_b.jpg

The $10.00 off a game may not be the glitch that's causing this to happen.

I clearly saw a sign that said 'Pre-order Uncharted 2, and receive $5.00 off any ps3 game'. Since the same offer may apply to Ratchet, this may be the glitch that is taking place here. Since, people are not buying another ps3 game, it's simply coming off the pre-order (not as intended of course)

I didn't have the gamers zone card when i preordered. Will i still get ten dollars off when i purchase. Also I preordered three and only two got 5.00 off. How would i go about getting the 10 off?

[quote name='Eric1285']Nobody has tried to buy another game with their preorder to see if the $10 off works?[/QUOTE]

I believe this guy did:

[quote name='neiname']I bought a $19.99 game along with a preorder today, the preorder came up free and I got $5 off the $19.99 game.[/QUOTE]

the $10 is indeed coming off, but the deal isn't as good as it could be because $5 is being taken off both items instead of $10 off of one.

[quote name='EnronLackey']anyone knows if this works on teh brutal legends pre order "album" cover?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Got that today myself

Went to BB at lunch time and grep 3 pre-orders(Uncharted 2, R&C and Brutal Legends) But only manage to get UC2 and R&C free, so is it only work for 2 pre-orders in one transection?

Probably 2 free per transaction, or maybe the discount only occurs if you preorder in 2's? So maybe 4 items would set it off too

[quote name='fridge']Does anyone have problems with the Uncharted 2 code because mine does not work.[/QUOTE]

U happen to have the game in hand already?

[quote name='fridge']Does anyone have problems with the Uncharted 2 code because mine does not work.[/QUOTE]
It says on the card that the code is not valid until Uncharted 2 is released.

the codes for uncharted 2 and rc dont work until the game is released, so you will have to wait until the games come out.

here is my report:

i went in to my bb, hoping to get the same deal as other CAG'ers. I got the 3 uncharted and 3 ratchet and clank presell. i was hoping it would work if i did 3 separate transactions. the store mgr recognized me from a previous presell visit saying that i cant by more than 2 (one for each) so i went ahead and got only 2. The girl scanned it in and hit the total button and volla the game presells we're indeed free.

afterward i decided to get halo 3 odst since the game came out today. went back to games section and noticed that the $10 deal applies to any game so i went and got halo odst and grabbed another uncharted. i was hoping the game presell would be free and the game marked at 10 off but the presell remained at 5 and the game was discounted the 10.

my guess is the glitch has to do with this promo. the presells are marked off each since they both are 5 dollars making the 2 for free in total.

i would get on this if you want the free bonuses or are looking to purchase the game when it comes out.

my bb had no other free bonuses (no forza 3 or brutal legend). there was none for dj hero (both editions) , dragonsomthin, assasins creed 2 or modern warfare 2. i am not sure if this only works for the 2 mentioned or if other games work as well. you will have to go and try yourself at your local best buy.

hope this info helps!

I picked up both the Uncharted and Ratchet pre-orders, and a copy of Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience. Both pre-orders came up as $5, while Watchmen was only $20 (it's normally $30), so in total I still ended up paying $30. The way it was grouped on the receipt indicates that the pre-order promo was applied for Uncharted 2, but not for Ratchet.

So going by this and what others have posted in the thread, it seems only $10 will be taken off your purchase no matter how many pre-orders you get. That's why you can get two pre-orders for free, or get one pre-order for free and $5 off another game.

Because of this, it's probably best just to get any pre-orders you want by themselves (i.e. not with another game), and limit it to no more than two at a time. Unless, of course, you actually do want to use the discount on a game, in which you should only get one pre-order and one game at a time.

as far as preordering at BBY, there is always a way of finding your receipt info. even if you pay cash. but if you pay cash it might just take a REALLY long time to find and sometimes the Reps just aren't able to do it if there is a line er they don't have certain clearance codes. (i'm talking about the Customer Service guys). regardless, ppl screw themselves over by losing them in the first place. no, it isn't expected to keep track of all receipts, but in certain instances you know when some hold more importance than others so take care of those ones.

but i'm curious about how the pre-order rings up. usually, the $5 from the pre-order gets returned (so now you have a $5 dollar credit) and in the same transaction the game is scanned. so the $5 from pre-order is put toward the game. some of you know this yes, but some don't. just explaining the process.

wonder if they'll have to do price overrides

wasn't there another promotion at BBY going on right now that if you pre-order some games you get them for $49.99? if they are separate offers i'd rather do that. i'll try and get a hold of a friend that works CS at BBY to see if he can clarify what the actual promotion(s) is/are

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']
i went in to my bb, hoping to get the same deal as other CAG'ers. I got the 3 uncharted and 3 ratchet and clank presell. i was hoping it would work if i did 3 separate transactions. the store mgr recognized me from a previous presell visit saying that i cant by more than 2 (one for each) so i went ahead and got only 2. The girl scanned it in and hit the total button and volla the game presells we're indeed free.

afterward i decided to get halo 3 odst since the game came out today. went back to games section and noticed that the $10 deal applies to any game so i went and got halo odst and grabbed another uncharted. i was hoping the game presell would be free and the game marked at 10 off but the presell remained at 5 and the game was discounted the 10.

my guess is the glitch has to do with this promo. the presells are marked off each since they both are 5 dollars making the 2 for free in total.

i would get on this if you want the free bonuses or are looking to purchase the game when it comes out.
[/QUOTE]

would you mind checking to see if on both your receipts what the SOLUTIONS PLUS promotion code's are and if they're the same as the guy who posted the pic?

if they are the same number then we pretty much have an answer, if not, then we're dealing with more than 1 promotion

Nice, scored both U2 and Ratchet cases/codes for free.

I got scared for a moment since the girl at counter said "$10 please" and I was like.."I read it was free" so she looked at her screen and pressed ok on something that came up(she hadnt seen it when she rang the preorders) and said "oh ok!"

I went to my local BB and went to the cashier who looked the friendliest.Rang both game pre orders up and I saw 10.78 was what I owe.Gave her my RZ Premier Silver card and took my cash out.As soon as she pressed total/enter it all came out to 0.00.I smiled and was glad it worked.The best part about this whole experience was the stunned face of the cashier as she handed me the games and the receipt and telling me in a stutter that the games were free.

The SOLUTIONS PLUS code is the same on my reciept: 232575 Durham NC store

I was also thinking about buying 1 preorder then also buy F.E.A.R. 2 then hand over the $20 off coupon.This would probably make my purchase $15.YMMV of course since you cant double dip on promotions but since not everyone at BB knows about the glitch yet, this might work out. FEAR 2 btw is $40 at BB.

Also picked up U2 and R&C boxes for free. My cashier didn't even blink when they rang up free and she just asked if I wanted a bag. Either she knew about it or just wasn't paying attention. She was blonde, so my bet is on the latter lol.

Went to the store in Monmouth Junction, NJ today. Preordered Assassin's Creed and picked up Fight Night Round 4. Got $10 off the total but my receipt shows that it came off FNR4 only, not $5 off each game. The preorder is clearly listed as being $5 on my receipt.

I'll try to return the preorder later this week. Gonna stop by and ask them for a ODST game case too since apparently UPS left it in the middle of the driveway and it got run over.

I do not have my card with me, would my phone number be sufficient? It is linked to my reward zone card.

If someone could let me know ASAP, that would be awesome!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I do not have my card with me, would my phone number be sufficient? It is linked to my reward zone card.

If someone could let me know ASAP, that would be awesome![/QUOTE]

Phone # used to work so it should still work

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I do not have my card with me, would my phone number be sufficient? It is linked to my reward zone card.

If someone could let me know ASAP, that would be awesome![/QUOTE]

This is what I did today, and it worked just fine.

ugh, i tried to get just uncharted 2 today and it rang up as $5. i have both reward zone and gamers club memberships. i guess ill have to try and pick up ratchet and clank also to see if it works then.

i grabbed uncharted 2, halo odst, brutal legend, tekken 6, and ratchet and clank preorders and went to pay after everything was rang up. i had to pay $15 plus tax. I was in a hurry and just wanted to see how many would be free. well, uncharted 2 and halo odst preorders were free and $5 apiece for the other 3. I will return the 3 i payed for later (well maybe not tekken 6!) in the week. Already have ODST but wanted the sgt. johnson content out of that preorder.

told my brother about it and he tried to get just ratchet and clank and tekken 6. Hoping those 2 would be free. But it did not work on those so he grabbed tekken 6 and uncharted 2 those were free. So maybe it has something to do with uncharted2?

thanks OP , always nice to get free content especially when its for a great game!

i can confirm that you have to buy 2. I bought uncharted 2 and ratchet and clank and they were free. but i tried uncharted by itself and it wasn't free.

I got 2 uncharted 2 preorders for free. Remember they have to press the ok/total button or else they think it's gonna be $10+ tax. A window appears on screen asking the cashier to take the discount.

I was wondering, I saw copies of Rock Revolution for $4.99 at Best Buy. it was also red tagged, which means 50% off clearance at this particular location. If i took 1 preorder and a rock revolution game, the game might end up being free..

Also, someone should test if a RZ membership is even needed. I dont even think it does like someone said above, the $10 discount is for everyone and suppose to be a preorder + a game over $29.99.

The only requirement for this deal may be just having 2 preorders in 1 transaction. And ONLY 2 or you will have to pay the difference

[quote name='Wario64']I got 2 uncharted 2 preorders for free. Remember they have to press the ok/total button or else they think it's gonna be $10+ tax. A window appears on screen asking the cashier to take the discount.

I was wondering, I saw copies of Rock Revolution for $4.99 at Best Buy. it was also red tagged, which means 50% off clearance at this particular location. If i took 1 preorder and a rock revolution game, the game might end up being free..

Also, someone should test if a RZ membership is even needed. I don't even think it does like someone said above, the $10 discount is for everyone and suppose to be a preorder + a game over $29.99.

The only requirement for this deal may be just having 2 preorders in 1 transaction. And ONLY 2 or you will have to pay the difference[/QUOTE]

I actually told the cashier that my friend told me about the deal- and that the reward zone card is required. I didn't even get a chance to give her my phone number that is attached to my account- because it came up at 0.00 anyway. I do not think a card is required for this.

I got Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, and Uncharted 2.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Are there any 360 games worth preordering that give bonuses? The Brutal Legends case is the only thing that comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

If you plan on getting Mass Effect 2, you can preorder DragonAge and it comes with a code to get bonus armor for ME2.

I tried it with Tekken 6 and DragonAge. Both for 360 and it did not work in Dayton OH. A window popped up on the screen, but it just asked it I was born before 1991. Nothing about a discount. So maybe it is somehow linked to Uncharted2. Has anyone had success without Uncharted 2?

[quote name='KillSwitch DV8']i grabbed uncharted 2, halo odst, brutal legend, tekken 6, and ratchet and clank preorders and went to pay after everything was rang up. i had to pay $15 plus tax. I was in a hurry and just wanted to see how many would be free. well, uncharted 2 and halo odst preorders were free and $5 apiece for the other 3. I will return the 3 i payed for later (well maybe not tekken 6!) in the week. Already have ODST but wanted the sgt. johnson content out of that preorder.

told my brother about it and he tried to get just ratchet and clank and tekken 6. Hoping those 2 would be free. But it did not work on those so he grabbed tekken 6 and uncharted 2 those were free. So maybe it has something to do with uncharted2?

thanks OP , always nice to get free content especially when its for a great game![/QUOTE]
Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.
brutallegendlpsleeve580px.jpg

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.
johnson-pre-order.jpg

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.
3676962764_e4941a6ed9.jpg

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.
3921258163_41e37c3df0.jpg

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.
sb_uncharted2guns_090623_2.jpg

Let me know if there's more out there and perhaps the OP can add this to the first post.

Was able to get Uncharted and Ratchet free, so i tried Brutal Legend and Tekken 6 on another transaction and it was $10.xx. This might only work if you are getting Uncharted plus another game. I will try Uncharted and Brutal legend tomorrow and will post results.

bread's done
Back