Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it and it worked for me. The Cashier was completely ignorant about it and asked the other cashier about the 'deal' going on. Eventually giving up and giving me my free pre-order goodies:D Got Uncharted 2 of course and Ratchet and Clank:ACiT.

Had no problems at my BB today. I was buying a hard-drive and decided to try it with Uncharted and Tekken. I told the cashier about how I should get $5 off for getting Uncharted. After my rewardzone card, U2 and T6 were free. After I dropped it off at my car I scored another U2 and R&C:ACIT. The second cashier was completely surprised that it was free.

Worked for me!

Grabbed U2 and Tekken 6 = $0
My girlfriend grabbed U2 and R&C = $0

Went across the street to shop...

Came back for U2 and Brutal Legend = $0

Gonna toss the extra U2 preorder codes to a couple friends.

Has anyone tried getting Uncharted 2 and blur? According to the case, you get early access to a Dodge Viper by pre-ordering blur, but at my store they are all in unsealed cases and there is nothing inside... so I don't know how you get early access???? If anyone knows, please do share!

[quote name='oidigo1']nice find will try tomorrow. will best buy hassle/ spam me to pick up the games if i don't want them on release.[/QUOTE]

They can't hassle you if you don't pay anything and dont use your RZ card. No way to identify you

[quote name='slowdive21']Umm this probably ends tonight when they close.[/QUOTE]

I agree that's likely. I wonder if I should head back to take a gamble on blur even though I don't think I'll get any codes until I pay for the actual game...

went again today to my local best buy to see if there were any other good pre-sell items. As i was looking in the xbox 360 presell section and i saw a forza 3 game box. grabbed it and a uncharted 2 box. Went to the cashier and crossed fingers hoping that it would work. The cashier said total was $10.xx. Then she hit the total key and then suddenly the receipt print out said the item was free. Then she called another cashier over. i was scared a little because i wasnt sure if she was going to stop the transaction. nothing happend though. all she said was if you are going to return the item make sure to return it sealed.

i was like why would i return the presell if it was for free? this will probably end today, so good finding!!!

for those looking for forza - it is in the same box like the ad. it does contain a code for a 2010 audi R8 download card inside the box, so check you local BB today! They could have it, then you can essentially get the code for free with the uncharted 2 freebie as well.

Obviously too late to matter (unless promotion is extended)...

Tried Sat evening in Oldsmar, Tampa, FL Best Buy. It was only making the Uncharted 2 preorder free. Yes, only two at a time, one being U2. No, no $30+ games in the same transaction.

Yesterday I picked up an Uncharted 2 presell and a Manager's Special copy of Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS3) for $9.99. After the manager adjusted the Golden Axe price to $9.99 (from $29.99) the computer kicked in and took an additional $5 off each item so out the door I got the game and the presell for $4.99 total.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Obviously too late to matter (unless promotion is extended)...

Tried Sat evening in Oldsmar, Tampa, FL Best Buy. It was only making the Uncharted 2 preorder free. Yes, only two at a time, one being U2. No, no $30+ games in the same transaction.[/QUOTE]

Did you use your rewards zone card?

[quote name='dafunkk12']Obviously too late to matter (unless promotion is extended)...
[/QUOTE]

Why's everyone saying the past couple of posts that it's too late? Is it because the U2 $5 off pre-order thing won't work on Sunday onwards? I was thinking of going down to BB again to see what else I can pick up but don't want to have the cashier ring up the pre-orders and then tell them when it doesn't show $0.00 that I changed my mind...

Did it at Chattanooga, TN the other day, worked great. Cashier thought it was a bangin deal and asked me which console I'd recommend him get. I gave him a quick pros and cons and told him to look for this website to find the $50 and $100 off deals.

Really nice guy, I'll probably be doing more business there.

[quote name='krowbar']Did you use your rewards zone card?[/QUOTE]

The Rewards Zone card shouldn't matter. I used it the first time I tried this, and it worked. I didn't use my card (nor did my gf) the other two times we tried this; still worked.

Picked up Uncharted 2 and R&C boxes yesterday for free; I bought something else as well, so I didn't have to deal with "why are these ringing up for free?" questions. The cashier still looked pretty surprised. It will be interesting to see if this glitch/deal will continue for this next week as well. I assume not.

This deal is *DEAD*. I was the sacrificial lamb today and tried this deal at my local Best Buy (NE Philly). It didn't work. I gotta read this forum more often!

Someone just made a thread (thats locked) that preordered Uncharted 2 and got Need for Speed Shift for $34.99 (which is on sale for $39.99)

the latest posts + that thread must mean this deal isnt dead

planning on stopping by bb after work and see if they got the forza 3 preorder so i will check then i will try to get uc2 and forza 3 hopefully this deal is not dead !! please post if someone knows other wise so i dont waste my gas. much thanks.

Went back to Best Buy today to try and return my Assassin's Creed 2 preorder. I originally bought this with Fight Night Round 4 (on sale last week for $39.99) in order to get the $10 off. I was charged $5 for AC2 and $10 was taken off my FNR4 purchase.

The cashier said the system didn't want to refund the $5 for AC2 without removing the $10 discount, but he was about to get through the system somehow and process it for me. So if anyone did something similar and wants to return their preorder it's definitely a YMMV situation.

I did this at the BB in Monmouth Junction, NJ. I've only been there a few times but I have to say they have the best customer service of any Best Buy I've ever been to. It's about the same distance from my house as the Princeton store, but I can safely say that I will never be visiting the Princeton location again (they're probably the worst store I've ever been to).

Stopped by local best buy today since the deal was confirmed! and picked up uncharted 2 (X2) and forza 3 (X2)(all for $0.00 and also had to do 2 different transactions) for me and my brother did not really need uc2 since now i have 4 of them and no ps3 lol just needed the xbox prorder goodies lol thanx again op this is a great glitch if you want the preorder Goodies now lets hope we still get the $5.00 off the actual game that would be really nice .

[quote name='KillSwitch DV8']Stopped by local best buy today since the deal was confirmed! and picked up uncharted 2 (X2) and forza 3 (X2)(all for $0.00 and also had to do 2 different transactions) for me and my brother did not really need uc2 since now i have 4 of them and no ps3 lol just needed the xbox prorder goodies lol thanx again op this is a great glitch if you want the preorder Goodies now lets hope we still get the $5.00 off the actual game that would be really nice .[/QUOTE]

is there anything in the forza box?

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']is there anything in the forza box?[/QUOTE]
I just happen to do this (for the fifth time) and picked up the Forza one. Here's the bonus:
Custom-Audi.jpg

2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro

[quote name='Purkeynator']I
*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide [/QUOTE]

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Who GIVES A DAMNED who calls you a "hoarder"? You do realize that this is THE INTERNET don't you? These aren't your old college buddies... you probably won't be picking your next girlfriend out of the cast and ensemble of Cheap Ass Gamer... and finally, and most importantly... people have been called much worse things on the Internet.

They like you... they hate you... they hate you for liking you so much.

You're going to have to get over that...

the 10$ gift card for l4d is online only as it says in the offer detail

Online only offer. Offer applies only to the select titles listed. Excludes prior purchases. May not be valid in combination with other offers.

checked in again today. got uncharted2 with a tekken 6 and another with forza 3 for free. interesting thing is there must be a uncharted 2 promo because there is a discount when you purchase any game with this presell.

Did it with Uncharted 2 and Ratchet and Clank. Really wanted Forza, but no box or anything for it here.

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']checked in again today. got uncharted2 with a tekken 6 and another with forza 3 for free. interesting thing is there must be a uncharted 2 promo because there is a discount when you purchase any game with this presell.[/QUOTE]

It's more a glitch than a promo... U2 takes $5 off any game/pre-order so you can combo it for a nice discount in store :D

Just picked up another Uncharted 2 and got $5 off of Need For Speed Shift.

I'm beginning to wonder how many people that play Uncharted 2 online will not have the gold weapons.

I have done the U2 pre-order box with 3 games and 3 other pre-orders so now I have 6 gold weapon codes. There are still over 20 left at my Spfld, MO store. I will just give away the 5 codes I don't use. I used this when I bought NFS: Shift to make it $34.99 and there are suppose to be 150 bonus gamer zone points which would equal $10. Fine print on the bonus points says it isn't valid on sale prices but maybe it will work.

Just picked up UC2 & Ratchet & Clank: CIT preorders for free. When the cashier scanned both items it showed up at $10 but upon scanning my reward zone card and hitting yes both rang up for free. Thanks OP.

[quote name='Wario64']It' s just 150 reward zone points. And 150 reward zone points doesn't not equal $10, not even $5.[/QUOTE]

I thought that if it is points from purchasing a game it equals to $10 all the time.Weird.Can any1 confirm this?

Sounds fun... Wonders if BB would catch this and start banning all those that picked up multiples without buying the game at release. :D

I will have to try it too... lol!

I went into Best Buy off Almaden Expwy in San Jose and picked up Ratchet & Clank - a Crack in Time and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Rang up $10 and $0 after Best Buy rewards card (not Silver) --- perfect considering you get a cardboard box too!

bread's done
Back