Fuck my parents

[quote name='Tennisjon2002'][quote name='billyknoxville']If my kid got 2 D's, his ass would be at home too. That's the big picture, if you got good grades, they couldnt care less what you did, as long as you got good grades, so I think you know what to do.[/quote]
Would your son be at home if he had a 3.3 HS average GPA, and eagle scout, a job, and treated you with respect. (^^^ That would be me incase you were wondering)[/quote]

Yes, I would be pretty mad if my son had a 3.3 HS GPA. I wouldn't be as strict as your parents though. I mean, 2 D's would really upset me, very. I would limit something like you're video game hours or something, but still, not as strict as your parents. Though, I still have many years till being a parent so I don't know if my opinions about this kind of stuff will change.

[quote name='jaykrue'][Have you tried getting a Pell Grant or a Perkins Loan? Those are gov. subsidized and they're very lenient on paying back the loan. Give those a look.[/quote]

I do think that I'll eventually have to go the loan route. Hopefully, I'll be able to find one that is lenient like you mentioned. Thanks for the info. :)

[quote name='Saucy Jack']It's really up to you what to do, because... well, it's your life. Your brother is pretty lucky that he ended up with good money. However, remember that his wealth is just from luck.

Here's a story from the opposite side of the spectrum:

I was an excellent student in high school. Hell, I was an excellent student throughout my entire life. In high school, I accomplished several great feats, including (this is not a complete list; just whatever I can remember at the moment):

1. Ranked #5 out of the entire graduating class (of about 400)
2. 4.0 GPA ( out of 0 - 100 my GPA was about 103.5)
3. First student in district to ever score perfectly on state testing
4. Good SAT and ACT scores
5. National Honor Society member
6. Active in community service, volunteering, etc.
7. Received various numerous awards

There's more, but I can't remember everything. You'd think that I would have an excellent chance at college and a bright future ahead, right? Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. It was heartbreaking.

I found that my applications would be accepted at any college I wanted, basically. I received numerous acceptance letters. However, out of all the school financial aid requests, grants, scholarships, and just about any other way to get money for college, I was denied. I applied to every scholarship, grant, and God knows what else... but all I kept getting were letters of denial.

Basically, I could go to any school I wanted.... but I had to pay full price, which is impossible.

Meanwhile, I see several people around me with huge scholarships, full free rides, and a ticket to a higher education. For those that had similar stats to mine, I don't see anything wrong. However, a lot of these people with the free tickets were... well, I don't know whether they deserved them. These kids were either poor or average students; I knew them and they basically just did enough work to pass their classes. Also, these kids' parents made a crapload more money than my parents did, so it's not a question of financial need.

I haven't been able to go to college, but I remain hopeful that one day I will. I won't give up on my dreams.

So, I guess it all comes down to this: even if you work hard, it's still just luck when it comes to your future. You can be the next genius Nobel Prize winner, but you might end up flipping burgers somewhere. You could be a lazy lowlife scumbag, and you could end up as the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

I would also advise that you work on both academics and social interaction. Basically, you need to be both an intellectual, and well-liked and popular. Unfortunately, society demands perfection, and even if you have the skills for the job, you may not get hired simply because they don't like you.

But overall, don't give up. Just work on things, and they will work out.[/quote]

You shouldn't have a problem getting a full ride somewhere. You just aren't applying to the right schools. Did you discuss this with any of the schools that you were accepted to? Did you say to them directly, "I want to go here, but I don't have the money"?

[quote name='chunk']
You shouldn't have a problem getting a full ride somewhere. You just aren't applying to the right schools. Did you discuss this with any of the schools that you were accepted to? Did you say to them directly, "I want to go here, but I don't have the money"?[/quote]

You bet I did. Hell, I figure, I'm giving them some money (application fees on some of them), they better answer my questions. I asked them what about me was wrong/insufficient/etc. that caused me to be denied. Most of the time I got the runaround with excuses like "the economic market in education is fluctuating" and other nonsense like that.

I still want a good future, and I know that an education will help me build one. It just looks like I may have to pay for everything. I guess, if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. I'm just disheartened that I worked so hard and sacrificed so much for nothing, while other people who haven't done so are being given a first-class ticket.

Well, that's life. Maybe I'm destined for something really great, and this is just a huge roadblock I need to conquer.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']It's really up to you what to do, because... well, it's your life. Your brother is pretty lucky that he ended up with good money. However, remember that his wealth is just from luck.

I was an excellent student in high school. Hell, I was an excellent student throughout my entire life. In high school, I accomplished several great feats, including (this is not a complete list; just whatever I can remember at the moment):

There's more, but I can't remember everything. You'd think that I would have an excellent chance at college and a bright future ahead, right? Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. It was heartbreaking.

I found that my applications would be accepted at any college I wanted, basically. I received numerous acceptance letters. However, out of all the school financial aid requests, grants, scholarships, and just about any other way to get money for college, I was denied. I applied to every scholarship, grant, and God knows what else... but all I kept getting were letters of denial.

Basically, I could go to any school I wanted.... but I had to pay full price, which is impossible.

Meanwhile, I see several people around me with huge scholarships, full free rides, and a ticket to a higher education. For those that had similar stats to mine, I don't see anything wrong. However, a lot of these people with the free tickets were... well, I don't know whether they deserved them. These kids were either poor or average students; I knew them and they basically just did enough work to pass their classes. Also, these kids' parents made a crapload more money than my parents did, so it's not a question of financial need.

I haven't been able to go to college, but I remain hopeful that one day I will. I won't give up on my dreams.

So, I guess it all comes down to this: even if you work hard, it's still just luck when it comes to your future. You can be the next genius Nobel Prize winner, but you might end up flipping burgers somewhere. You could be a lazy lowlife scumbag, and you could end up as the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

I would also advise that you work on both academics and social interaction. Basically, you need to be both an intellectual, and well-liked and popular. Unfortunately, society demands perfection, and even if you have the skills for the job, you may not get hired simply because they don't like you.

But overall, don't give up. Just work on things, and they will work out.[/quote]

good luck man, u might try working while taking a class or two at the local community college. Even if some of the credits arent taken at the school u get in to, taking classes will keep you fresh and hopefully keep you on the right track. Again just keep on trying, I am sure good things are bound to come about.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever'][quote name='Saucy Jack']It's really up to you what to do, because... well, it's your life. Your brother is pretty lucky that he ended up with good money. However, remember that his wealth is just from luck.

good luck man, u might try working while taking a class or two at the local community college. Even if some of the credits arent taken at the school u get in to, taking classes will keep you fresh and hopefully keep you on the right track. Again just keep on trying, I am sure good things are bound to come about.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate them. You are definitely right. Being out of school just makes me feel like my mind is getting duller.

bread's done
Back