Game of Thrones - Available for Pre-Order - March 6th, 2012

[quote name='Capocci 007']Lol overpriced much. For 50 bucks I could buy the whole deadwood series.

I'll wait for this to dorp to $20 or under. Anyhting over $30 is a rip off. I mean even the top shows of our time like mad men and breaking bad go for $10 now.[/QUOTE]Prove to me where you could buy Deadwood: The Complete Series for $50. I'm sure everyone else would love to know where that would be.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh wow, BB exclusive cover? You lose Amazon.[/QUOTE]Actually, two of them:

Stark / Direwolf:
BluRay
DVD

Targareyn / Dragon:
BluRay
DVD

Keychain link page:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat262800050008

[quote name='Jodou']Oh wow, BB exclusive cover? You lose Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Think I'll stick with Amazon. Don't really care about the packaging, and hate my local Best Buy. Takes a great deal (like the current DVD trade in deal) to get me in there.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Think I'll stick with Amazon. Don't really care about the packaging, and hate my local Best Buy. Takes a great deal (like the current DVD trade in deal) to get me in there.[/QUOTE]I have it in my Gold Box for $50.34 after the price drop to $52.99, so I'm curious to see how it'll work out on the final price.

We can only hope for a release week of $34.99 like we did with Boardwalk Empire S1, though that one was $46.99 up to a few days before release. I would think that we're probably looking at a $39.99 release week price.

The exclusive packaging isn't a bad option, IMO, though I wish it was a single SKU for DVD and one for BD with the two logos on the same package.

Makes it hard to pick one for the "exclusive" version.

Yeah, I'll of course keep an eye on the price incase it ends up cheaper somewhere else.

But otherwise I'll stick with my free prime shipping and triple points on my Amazon Visa vs. hassling with going to a B&M store.

Ugh... Best Buy customer support sucks ass. I can't even get a hold of someone to apply the free keychain to my order.

[Update] So I canceled my original order, and tried to do a new one. But now my gift card balance isn't working with the new order. *Anger rising.

I'll give it a day to refund my gift card balance, but if this is going to give me so much grief I might just go with Amazon, exclusive item and packaging or not.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I'll of course keep an eye on the price incase it ends up cheaper somewhere else.

But otherwise I'll stick with my free prime shipping and triple points on my Amazon Visa vs. hassling with going to a B&M store.[/QUOTE]Set up a pricewatch on http://www.camelbuy.com and have it tell you when the price drops. It's the same as camelcamelcamel.com, though it's for Best Buy items.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Ugh... Best Buy customer support sucks ass. I can't even get a hold of someone to apply the free keychain to my order.

[Update] So I canceled my original order, and tried to do a new one. But now my gift card balance isn't working with the new order. *Anger rising.

I'll give it a day to refund my gift card balance, but if this is going to give me so much grief I might just go with Amazon, exclusive item and packaging or not.[/QUOTE]Give it three days before you try to re-order it with your gift card.

[quote name='dmdragon']I don't think you can pay it off early, just the 5 dollars to preorder it. I don't think they even have a full price sku in the system yet to pay it off even if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Uhh... what? Since when does that apply to online orders?

[quote name='dmdragon']I don't think you can pay it off early, just the 5 dollars to preorder it. I don't think they even have a full price sku in the system yet to pay it off even if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Only way to pay it off in full is to buy online like I did. Pre order online, add the keychain to your cart and it'll be free. Choose a store to pick it up in and you'll be able to pick up your chain the same day if they still have it.

If your store is competent in the least, they'll have it ready for you and not make you wait while they argue with each other over the walkie talkies as to how they don't have anything to give me since the "game" doesn't come out till "may".

[quote name='shrike4242']

Targareyn / Dragon:
BluRay
[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of CEs but that has me drooling, I really love that cover. I guess I'll be canceling my preorder at Amazon. If I wait for the week it comes out, will I still get the key chain?

OT and meant to post this yesterday but I bought this shirt off Teefury (now gone):

1323293084_TOP__12713h07m06.jpg

[quote name='masterchief2291']looks like the price has dropped to 52.99. does best buy have a preorder guarantee like amazon?[/QUOTE]Nope.

Q: Can you ensure the price listed at the time the pre-order is placed will remain the same?
A: Yes and no. When a price is assigned to a pre-ordered item, we are reasonably certain it will remain at that price. However, from time to time — given how far in advance we make items available to our customers — a price change will occur. If this happens, you will always receive the lower of the two prices. For example, if you order an item for $49.99 and the pre-order price is later dropped to $39.99, you will be charged only $39.99. If you ordered the item at $49.99 and the price rises to $59.99, you still pay only $49.99. When you place a pre-order, you are assured our lowest pre-release price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies-Promotions/null/pcmcat258300050048.c?id=pcmcat258300050048

Got my preorder in for 52.99 for store pickup, though it did not let me have the keychain shipped for some reason. Seems like a horrible waste of effort to go in just to pick up the keychain, sigh.

Hmm, maybe I can call and just get both swapped to shipped.

Edit: Or not. The system tried to charge $2.49 to get them shipped even though both items are listed as free shipping. Off I go to BB tomorrow for a keychain...

Last edited by a moderator:
got the keychain today and its friggin' huge! no way would i want to keep my car keys on this thing, its bigger than a silver dollar.

I canceled my Amazon preorder for the best buy targeryn exclusive since I had a GC & RW certs laying around. (Plus I was really tempted to use them on the Skylanders starter set but this way I can't... :lol:)

I went and reserved it in Best Buy today. When I got there, they had two keychains left, so I got one. Reserving it in store didn't give me the option of which case I wanted for the Blu-ray set. Hopefully I'll be able to get a Stark set when it comes out.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Lol overpriced much. For 50 bucks I could buy the whole deadwood series.

I'll wait for this to dorp to $20 or under. Anyhting over $30 is a rip off. I mean even the top shows of our time like mad men and breaking bad go for $10 now.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to pay top dollar for Game of Thrones because I want to do everything I can to support the show so it continues to air. The books series is just about my favorite thing ever and the first season was excellent. I would hate to see HBO's adaption of the series end up like other HBO masterpieces such as Deadwood and Rome...cancelled too soon.

That key chain best buy is offering with pre-orders is pretty nifty. I have one and despite its size I still insist upon attaching it to my keys.

[quote name='gravel']I went and reserved it in Best Buy today. When I got there, they had two keychains left, so I got one. Reserving it in store didn't give me the option of which case I wanted for the Blu-ray set. Hopefully I'll be able to get a Stark set when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I asked the cashier if I could choose which cover I wanted. She had know idea what I was talking about. She asked a manager who tried to tell me that one cover was for the dvd and the other for the blu-ray. I told him that they had two covers for each. He looked it up in the system and confirmed and said there was no way of picking a specific cover and told me to call the store when it's released.

[quote name='killthemall4444']I'm willing to pay top dollar for Game of Thrones because I want to do everything I can to support the show so it continues to air. The books series is just about my favorite thing ever and the first season was excellent. I would hate to see HBO's adaption of the series end up like other HBO masterpieces such as Deadwood and Rome...cancelled too soon.[/QUOTE]

Same here, that's one reason I pre-ordered right away from Amazon.

Makes you wonder why HBO was able to roll out this set quicker than the Boardwalk Empire one, they released it after Season 2 had finished airing!

[quote name='Rafael122']Makes you wonder why HBO was able to roll out this set quicker than the Boardwalk Empire one, they released it after Season 2 had finished airing![/QUOTE]

Eh, it should've been available at X-mas.

If anyone pre ordered in best buy, it looks like the price dropped to match Amazon at $44.99.

I already called and had them adjust the price for me since I did it on bb.com.

I was trying to justify paying even $35 for Boardwalk S1. Great series, I really like it.

Wound up telling myself that if I want them to keep making these shows, they need the $ for it. Boardwalk might be cancelled after S3, because of the massive production costs.

Same with Game of Thrones I suppose. I might snag it if it drops to under $40. But I can't justify dropping this much on 10 episodes, unless there's a massive amount of bonus content, like commentaries for every single episode.

Sidenote, I haven't found a reasonable price for any season of True Blood on BR. New versions are all like $35+...crazy stuff. And I've been able to find Breaking Bad Season 2 and 3 for

[quote name='IRHari']Wound up telling myself that if I want them to keep making these shows, they need the $ for it. Boardwalk might be cancelled after S3, because of the massive production costs.

Same with Game of Thrones I suppose. I might snag it if it drops to under $40. But I can't justify dropping this much on 10 episodes, unless there's a massive amount of bonus content, like commentaries for every single episode.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that? They both seem to have done okay in the ratings. If anything I'd say Boardwalk Empire would go before Game of Thrones, BWE actually costs more to make than GoT (At least from what I've seen looking around), plus HBO can make some money off GoT merch. There's also a GoT game coming out that HBO has licensed.

Sidenote, I haven't found a reasonable price for any season of True Blood on BR. New versions are all like $35+...crazy stuff. And I've been able to find Breaking Bad Season 2 and 3 for

[quote name='applecider']Damn, that guy has a massive hard-on for the quality of this release. I can't wait.[/QUOTE]
lol. Agreed. I almost flipped when I was part of the Best Buy snafu, but got a follow up email two days later saying all was well with my order. :D

I wish I could clone myself so that I could play Mass Effect 3 and watch GoT at the same time. March 6 is going to be awesome.

Down to $35 + Shipping on Amazon. Getting into that reasonable territory.

I've noticed that about BBC prices as well, which is bizarre since the access to BBC shows is far greater than HBO's comparatively.

[quote name='amundsjm']Down to $35 + Shipping on Amazon. Getting into that reasonable territory.
[/QUOTE]

did the bluray set drop to that? right now its 45. as far as i know, the dvd has been 35 and the bluray has been 45 for a while now

My brother-in-law: "Hey, did you preorder Game of Thrones?"
Me: "Yep."
BiL: "Did you get the key chain?"
BiL: "Can I have it?"
Me: "Nope."
BiL: "Aww."

[quote name='pacifickarma']My brother-in-law: "Hey, did you preorder Game of Thrones?"
BiL: "Did you get the key chain?"
BiL: "Can I have it?"
Me: "Nope."
BiL: "Aww."[/QUOTE]

Its the same keychain from the hbo store.

man, i'm gonna cancel my amazon order and get it at best buy. does anyone if all the keychains are of house stark?

[quote name='sigmano9']man, i'm gonna cancel my amazon order and get it at best buy. does anyone if all the keychains are of house stark?[/QUOTE]

all are Stark from Best Buy, on HBO.com they have some of the other houses.

do you guys think the exclusive packaging sets from BBY would have decent resell value? ive been thinking about buying one standard set, and one each of stark and targaryen and then selling the exclusive ones on ebay.

[quote name='masterchief2291']do you guys think the exclusive packaging sets from BBY would have decent resell value? ive been thinking about buying one standard set, and one each of stark and targaryen and then selling the exclusive ones on ebay.[/QUOTE]Damned if I know. Wait until they're no longer available from Best Buy and then make your decision.

Which I'm sure will be long past your return period window.

If I cancel my Best Buy preorder can I get my $5 back or am I stuck since I got the keychain? I'd rather go with Amazon or Best Buy's online price, but don't really want to eat the 5 bucks.

You should be able to get your money back. I know that's how it works when you make a deposit with their bonus steelbook offers. I think you have to wait until after it's released though, I could be wrong.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']If I cancel my Best Buy preorder can I get my $5 back or am I stuck since I got the keychain? I'd rather go with Amazon or Best Buy's online price, but don't really want to eat the 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]You're not stuck, though when you cancel the pre-order for the BD or DVD, it'll "return" the free keychain and charge you $5 (though now, it might be $30, since the keychain is now showing up as $30 online) for one you've received.

You can return the keychain in-store, as I had to go through that when I canceled a previous pre-order that was at $53 when they didn't apply a credit to make it $45 when the price dropped on the item. You could even do it now, if you wanted to, you'd just need a copy of your order number.

bread's done
Back