Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

A decent episode but underwhelming finale. It started off well with how it transitioned from scene to scene, then it just became messy with trying to get everyone in before the finale. Ending with Dany was pointless, nothing happened that we didn't know last week.
The problem is they didn't do a good job setting up anything to look forward to. No cliffhanger, nothing of what to expect next season, and certainly no mention of whether winter was finally coming. At this point the whole whitewalkers thing is more of a subplot to what has been going on when I feel like it should have been a focus. I'd be shocked if there was a lot of buzz surrounding this for the next year because there's no expectations (other than people that read the books and that's bullshit).

If they're really riding all anticipation on Dany then they're in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by a moderator:
They managed to set up some big things. Theon's sister should be fun to watch, Arya looks like she's gonna go full assassin mode, and Lannisters will always make good drama.

But otherwise, yeah. Ending scene with Dany was super cheesy, Bran and his friends are annoying, and I didn't get why they threw the whitewalker hook at us again. No one took the warning seriously in Season 1, why is another eye witness account a big deal?

They managed to set up some big things. Theon's sister should be fun to watch, Arya looks like she's gonna go full assassin mode, and Lannisters will always make good drama.

But otherwise, yeah. Ending scene with Dany was super cheesy, Bran and his friends are annoying, and I didn't get why they threw the whitewalker hook at us again. No one took the warning seriously in Season 1, why is another eye witness account a big deal?
light
People need to rewatch the Stannis scene if they thought it didn't set anything up. the Dany scene will be an important reference point for contrast. People will love Bran once we get to book 5 material.

light
People need to rewatch the Stannis scene if they thought it didn't set anything up. the Dany scene will be an important reference point for contrast. People will love Bran once we get to book 5 material.
It should be a tie-in to what he saw in the flames via Melisandre, a "big battle in the snow". The Night's Watch sends an "all hands on deck" raven message, Stannis should start to tie the two items together and figure out that maybe what he's seen is coming true.

From multiple reviews I've seen of last night's episode, S3 is about 2/3rds of the third book, while a couple others have said it's about 1/2 of the third book.

For the book readers out there, which is it, 2/3rds, 1/2, or something else?

light
It should be a tie-in to what he saw in the flames via Melisandre, a "big battle in the snow". The Night's Watch sends an "all hands on deck" raven message, Stannis should start to tie the two items together and figure out that maybe what he's seen is coming true.

From multiple reviews I've seen of last night's episode, S3 is about 2/3rds of the third book, while a couple others have said it's about 1/2 of the third book.

2/3. RW is 2/3 of the way through itself. There are 2 major events in Book 3 that haven't been covered yet, however.

I agree with Jodou, where was the cliffhanger? I kept waiting for something shocking to happen and instead watched the credits start to roll.  I may have to start reading the books to hold me over to the next season.

gameofthrones-red-wedding-Robb-Stark-and-Grey-Wind-wolf-dancing-dog.gif

light

2/3. RW is 2/3 of the way through itself. There are 2 major events in Book 3 that haven't been covered yet, however.
So, if we have 2/3rds of Book 3 done with S3, S4 will be what's left of Book 3, plus whatever they're going to pull from Book 4 (and maybe 5, since they're running in parallel) to fill up 10 episodes. I would think that they should advance the plot lines they dropped the teasers for at the end of S3, plus whatever is left hanging from earlier in S3.

Maybe this will be their point to start going to 12 episodes a season with GoT for S4.

light

So, if we have 2/3rds of Book 3 done with S3, S4 will be what's left of Book 3, plus whatever they're going to pull from Book 4 (and maybe 5, since they're running in parallel) to fill up 10 episodes. I would think that they should advance the plot lines they dropped the teasers for at the end of S3, plus whatever is left hanging from earlier in S3.

Maybe this will be their point to start going to 12 episodes a season with GoT for S4.
They have stated many times that their production schedule and budget simply doesn't allow for 12 episodes. It will stay 10 for the foreseeable future according to them.

So question for anyone else who has read the books, did Ygritte shoot Jon with her bow? I can't remember for the life of me, but I don't remember Jon getting back to the wall with 3 arrows sticking out of him.

I know he get shot by arrows as he was running away, Ygritte didn't track him down and shoot him. I don't recall if it was specifically Ygritte who shot him in the books.

light

This season ends 2/3 into A Storm of Swords but they cut out some material so I'd say only half got covered. Most of it wasn't important. Like there's 4 chapters of Arya wandering around before meeting Lord Beric. I think we'll see some Book 4 and even 5 material covered next season (both occur concurrently, with the exception of some final chapters in book 5).

That's one thing I didn't like about this season. The stuff with Beric just didn't seem as interesting on screen as it did in the books.

One possible postulation on io9.com about possible events for Seasons 4-5 (& 6) as pulled from what's left of Book 3, plus what's in Books 4 & 5:

IT IS CHOCK FULL OF SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NOT READ THE BOOKS OR GONE THROUGH A WIKI ABOUT THE BOOKS.

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!

EDIT: In random other GoT news, apparently the actor who plays Hodor is a well known DJ in his native Ireland:

http://io9.com/dj-hodor-is-in-the-hodor-512673737

@Clak - Jon gets shot once in the leg as he rides off, but it is not confirmed if it is Ygritte and she doesn't track him down like in the show.

As for season 3 being 2/3 of the book is pretty accurate. I have just under 100 pages to go and that last third has a lot going on, I can easily see that being half of the 4th season

I didn't think so. I'm remembered him getting back to the wall hurt, but not looking like a pin cushion. I'm also realziing that Melisandre really is the Miss Cleo of Westeros, and Stannis is easily fooled. Even in the books she doesn't realzie whats going on in the North until Davos speaks up if I rememeber right. Seems like she tried to play it off like she'd seen it in the fires, but just didn't understand at the time.

Thanks to how good this show is getting I finally put in an order for the first book in the series.
Just an FYI, the first book and first season are shockingly identical. I am not sure I have ever watched a film/show that I felt hit everything great about the book. Even the dialogue is word for word in many places. Once the second book gets rolling though, then all sorts of little things get changed. I would honestly tell anyone interested in reading the books who has seen the show to just start with Clash of Kings.

Finally watched the finale. For being a finale, it was pretty meh. I was disappointed that there was nothing about
Lady Stoneheart
. I thought that would have been the big cliffhanger and it's the last thing I've bee spoiled about, so it'll be nice to get that out of the way. The episode does definitely set things up though. I imagine that we're going to be seeing Stannis heading North and possibly getting involved in the Wilding attack on the wall, if that's even a thing that happens. Yara seems to be gearing up for some action as well.

Still think Dany is kind of boring. Still think Tywin is just a boss.

Thanks to how good this show is getting I finally put in an order for the first book in the series.
Just an FYI, the first book and first season are shockingly identical. I am not sure I have ever watched a film/show that I felt hit everything great about the book. Even the dialogue is word for word in many places. Once the second book gets rolling though, then all sorts of little things get changed. I would honestly tell anyone interested in reading the books who has seen the show to just start with Clash of Kings.
Thanks for telling me. I still plan on reading it. I have also been told it bounces around like the show does from one family to another. That threw me off a little at first so I'm glad I know about that before reading the book.

Five right now but two more is planned.
GRRM has the working manuscript for Winds Of Winter in the "we're getting there" stage, though A Dream Of Spring is only in the beginnings of planning.

I don't think we'll see Winds of Winter until mid-2014 or later, which would give us a guess on A Dream Of Spring being 2017-2018. I know GRRM had a lot of flack in how long it took A Dance With Dragons to come out and with the series starting to catch up to the released books, there's some kick-in-the-pants to get WoW done and ADOS in the writing process.

Five right now but two more is planned.
GRRM has the working manuscript for Winds Of Winter in the "we're getting there" stage, though A Dream Of Spring is only in the beginnings of planning.

I don't think we'll see Winds of Winter until mid-2014 or later, which would give us a guess on A Dream Of Spring being 2017-2018. I know GRRM had a lot of flack in how long it took A Dance With Dragons to come out and with the series starting to catch up to the released books, there's some kick-in-the-pants to get WoW done and ADOS in the writing process.
As part of his editing process, he usually finds he has more chapters than he can fit and they get moved to the next book. That happened with Dance to Winds too. So, when he finishes Winds, Dream will probably already be "started."

As part of his editing process, he usually finds he has more chapters than he can fit and they get moved to the next book. That happened with Dance to Winds too. So, when he finishes Winds, Dream will probably already be "started."
I would image his publisher probably prods him along at some point, partly so that he won't make some massive-sized book that could break toes if you dropped it on your foot, as well as trying to get the next book released before the end of time.

My friends and I have been making silly movies for about 20 years and finally started putting some on YouTube. This is our latest skit reviewing GOT season 3 in a ridiculous way, but it does contain spoilers:

http://youtu.be/AfHtY7p0AK8

Ommegang is back with their second GOT brew TAKE UP THE BLACK STOUT!!!

I picked up two a few weeks ago at a local spirits store and tis a tasty stout!

Take-The-Black-Stout-Game-of-Thrones-Beer.jpg

game-of-thrones-beer-take-the-black-stout-ommegang.jpg

I also had the chance to pour through season 3 last Sunday and Tuesday. Episode 9 was a complete an utter game changer. I had heard rumors of the Red Wedding from friends. I only knew that one of my buddies stopped reading the books at that point. Another was so pissed that sent a letter to Martin's publishing company. A few guys I know from a local G$ also mentioned that they were not able to go back to reading the books for awhile after that. I only made it half way through book 2 and was too busy at the time to continue. 

Finally, I saw with my own eyes what all the fuss was about. Damn just damn I was completely floored but it doesn't make me hate the series. It makes me more interested in what will happen next. I don't know if the Lannister's will ever get theirs but it is possible. Arya has really become an even more interesting character than she was. Tyrion is still a favorite. I actually like Jamie now also. Joffrey will always be a spoiled inbred little prick. Tywinn has also grown on me the actor is just so good at playing an absolutely ruthless man in power. Jon Snow will always be a favorite also. I'm also intrigued with how the Stannis story line will grow and The Brotherhood. What can I say I just love this show and can't wait for Season 4!!!!

Just finished up the books and I can certainly see that there's more than enough between what's left in Book 3 that didn't make it into Season 3, plus books 4 and 5 that HBO should have more than enough to go into Season 4, 5 and 6.

This thread needs a bump. I just finished seasons 1-3 and damn, now I know why everyone was freaking out about GoT after the Red Wedding. Can't wait until season 4!

This thread needs a bump. I just finished seasons 1-3 and damn, now I know why everyone was freaking out about GoT after the Red Wedding. Can't wait until season 4!
There's going to be some crazy stuff coming up in S4, no question.

Read the books and you'll see what it might be.

Can't wait for season 4. Although I worry about seasons 5 & 6. Books 4 and 5 were such a letdown compared to the rest of the books in the series.

Can't wait for season 4. Although I worry about seasons 5 & 6. Books 4 and 5 were such a letdown compared to the rest of the books in the series.
I think that HBO will take the smart idea to pick and choose on what to put out there for S5 & S6 because the parallel timelines for things that go on in each of the two books makes it hard to run it all in parallel.

Actors tend to find other jobs when they don't get employed for a season or two, so either we'll see a lot of stuff from books 4 & 5 all happening at the same time in the same timeline or HBO will have to pay out actors for a season or two to keep them part of the project.

Though, I think the first 3 episodes will certainly be the end of book 3 and a little into book 4, though from that point forward, I can only guess of how it'll go down.

I think that HBO will take the smart idea to pick and choose on what to put out there for S5 & S6 because the parallel timelines for things that go on in each of the two books makes it hard to run it all in parallel.

Actors tend to find other jobs when they don't get employed for a season or two, so either we'll see a lot of stuff from books 4 & 5 all happening at the same time in the same timeline or HBO will have to pay out actors for a season or two to keep them part of the project.

Though, I think the first 3 episodes will certainly be the end of book 3 and a little into book 4, though from that point forward, I can only guess of how it'll go down.
At this point all I can hope for is that they don't end up going down the same path as Lost did in season 3, switching between the two camps. Parallel timelines are difficult to work with. Especially when trying to fit them in an episodic TV series. IMO, it's important for them to keep the positive buzz going as GoT is very expensive to produce so any ratings dip could be bad.

I like your idea for start of the 5 season. That would get the season off to a good start and hopefully they can carefully parse through the next two books and keep the momentum going. At least book 5 is heavy on action if a bit light on story resolution.

At this point all I can hope for is that they don't end up going down the same path as Lost did in season 3, switching between the two camps. Parallel timelines are difficult to work with. Especially when trying to fit them in an episodic TV series. IMO, it's important for them to keep the positive buzz going as GoT is very expensive to produce so any ratings dip could be bad.

I like your idea for start of the 5 season. That would get the season off to a good start and hopefully they can carefully parse through the next two books and keep the momentum going. At least book 5 is heavy on action if a bit light on story resolution.
Since it's been a couple of months since I read the books, this is what I remember for the parallel storylines from books 4 & 5 (spoilers for those that haven't read the books yet):

Left over from book 3:

1) Introduction of Oberyn Martell

2) Purple wedding + Joffrey's death

3) Tyrion killing Tywin, Tyrion's trial + trial of combat with Red Viper and Gregor Clegane

4) Introduction of Lady Stoneheart

5) Wildling attack on the Wall + rescue by Stannis and his men

6) Dismissal of Jorah Mormont for spying on Daenerys

Book 4:

1) Tywin's funeral + change of guard for Small Council

2) Sam's mission to Citadel with Aemon and Gilly

3) Arya's trip to Braavos + Faceless Men temple

4) Brienne's quest for Sansa

5) Siege of Dragonstone

6) Littlefinger + Sansa at The Eyrie

7) Jaime's ending of the siege of Riverrun

8) Kingsmoot of the Ironborn, their attacks

9) Dorne with Prince Doran, the Sand Snakes, Myrcella's "kidnap", death of Arys Oakheart

Book 5:

1) Jon Snow being Lord Commander of Knight's Watch + dealing with Stannis at the Wall

2) Tyrion's trip to Pentos + beyond

3) Danerys conquering Meereen + beyond

4) More Ironborn issues

5) Introduction of Jon Connington + Aerys II

6) Wedding of fake Anya at Winterfell

7) Stannis' march south to Winterfell

8) Reek/Theon at Winterfell

9) Jaime's return to Kings' Landing

10) Quentyn Martell + dragons

11) Death of Kevan Lannister

12) Bran's trip beyond the Wall

Probably some other items I missed as well.

There's a lot there and with what's left over from Book 3, there's probably at least 3 episodes, if not more, in Season 4. They'll have to pick and choose carefully what they do in S4, mainly since I think that
the Wildling attack on the wall is likely be the Episode 9 of Season 4, since that's the huge "holy crap" moment that seems to be up in the air from the end of Book 3 and into Book 4

Between what's left with book 3 and all of books 4 + 5, they easily have seasons 4-6 taken care of, if not into season 7.

bread's done
Back