GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you do if you get Van Helsing at some point make sure to get the complete version with the DLC because these developers tend to douchily not put the DLC on sale when the base and complete pack goes on sale.

My $0.35 + a few percent CC-paypal fees diminish such savings. Then there's my mental fees for having to deal with people...
I like the idea of a mental fee for having to deal with people. I'm going to use that one.

Played the demo and was underwhelmed. Just another generic Diablo clone.
IYHO - is this bundle material?
Really MysterD? It's Mooby. Everything for him is material for a bundle he will never buy.

Asking Mooby if you should buy a game is like consulting a magic 8 ball with a 10 sided die that has "no" on every side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really MysterD? It's Mooby. Everything for him is material for a bundle he will never buy.

Asking Mooby if you should buy a game is like consulting a magic 8 ball with a 10 sided die that has "no" on every side.
Well, apparently with exception to pre-ordering Paradox games. Which is odd, considering their tendency to be bundled/put on sale non-stop.

Van helsing is something ridiculous like 20-25gigs. Also it seems very poorly optimized, I have a pretty decent computer an it still took like 2-3 minutes to load the game on start-up, and 1-2 minutes in between zones. Literally the longest load times of any single player game I've played. I wouldn't recommend it even if it was in a bundle.

Just letting people know what it was going for the last two times it was on sale via steam... Sorry I bothered.
Thanks, I'm sure it was well intentioned, but we were grumbling about the lack of an IGN/Oops Discount. I have to get a pretty good savings to bother to deal with people. (Recently reaffirmed by fishing for Shufflepuck Cantina coupons... in the steam trade thread). Also I'm holding out for 75% on this. My ARPG backlog rivals my RPG backlog.

Whatever you do if you get Van Helsing at some point make sure to get the complete version with the DLC because these developers tend to douchily not put the DLC on sale when the base and complete pack goes on sale.
Yeah I'd noticed that back on the Thanksgiving sale... acting all Bethesda-like. It made kind of not want to buy it... but I don't have a choice in the matter. I *have* to own it. It did make me decide to wait until really cheap though.

Van helsing is something ridiculous like 20-25gigs. Also it seems very poorly optimized, I have a pretty decent computer an it still took like 2-3 minutes to load the game on start-up, and 1-2 minutes in between zones. Literally the longest load times of any single player game I've played. I wouldn't recommend it even if it was in a bundle.
Clearly you never loaded from tape. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't recommend it even if it was in a bundle.
I own it... but I haven't spent much time with it... I sort of dislike the controls in it. You hear Diablo clone and you expect mouse for everything but VH has you use WASD. You can also use a gamepad/controller. (Which is how I'll have to play it when/if I get to it.) Also, and at least early on... The controls seem very imprecise.

I've experienced longer map-load times in Halo and Battlefield 1942 (offline.)

I just booted it up for the first time ever. Took about 15 seconds for me. I do not have a powerful rig by any means.
Yeah just looked at the community hub for the game and it looks like they came out with a patch just last week that addressed that. Even then, from what I played back in November I was thoroughly unimpressed, and again a 20gig download so probably won't be playing it anytime soon, especially when you consider the fact that there are much better Diablo-clones out there.

EDIT: Also I guess I should add that it's the longest load times I've experienced on a modern PC, before all you old-timers go "Back in my day, we had dial-up that would drop the connection if someone used the phone!"

Yeah just looked at the community hub for the game and it looks like they came out with a patch just last week that addressed that. Even then, from what I played back in November I was thoroughly unimpressed, and again a 20gig download so probably won't be playing it anytime soon.

EDIT: Also I guess I should add that it's the longest load times I've experienced on a modern PC, before all you old-timers go "Back in my day, we had dial-up that would drop the connection if someone used the phone!"
I'm just curious, but why is a 20GB download a problem from a gaming experience? I mean I get the bandwidth/time ramifications, but from a gameplay standpoint I'm a bit befuddled.

I'm just curious, but why is a 20GB download a problem from a gaming experience? I mean I get the bandwidth/time ramifications, but from a gameplay standpoint I'm a bit befuddled.
It wouldn't be a problem if it was a game I played previously and enjoyed, but I already played this game and didn't enjoy it, so going through another 20gig download (since I uninstalled it) just to see if the game was less shitty than I remember it... not really worth it.

It wouldn't be a problem if it was a game I played previously and enjoyed, but I already played this game and didn't enjoy it, so going through another 20gig download (since I uninstalled it) just to see if the game was less shitty than I remember it... not really worth it.
Ah, gotcha. Didn't realize you uninstalled it. That's not something I'm used to.

Yeah just looked at the community hub for the game and it looks like they came out with a patch just last week that addressed that. Even then, from what I played back in November I was thoroughly unimpressed, and again a 20gig download so probably won't be playing it anytime soon, especially when you consider the fact that there are much better Diablo-clones out there.

Clearly you have never played any Sims games, even the recent ones take a long ass time to load, though I must admit that upgrading to a SSD did help a good deal with that.

I just booted it up for the first time ever. Took about 15 seconds for me. I do not have a powerful rig by any means.
I think mine was about the same... I know when I skipped the story's first cut scene it took 10 seconds to load the first area so I spent a tidbit of time playing the game and came away with mix feelings.

It moved quicker and whatnot from what I remember... (Combat still seems slow, with two pistols I feel like VH should be able to attack quicker, but movement was better.)

Inventory system... Hell, I don't even know where to begin. it looked like they decide every other game wasn't doing the inventory system right and decided everything needed to be buried one level deeper in a menu. Which is just a huge waste of time considering how often you go into the inventory screen in an ARPG. (If its better with a keyboard I would relearn WASD before tying to play via gamepad... Its that bad.)

Companion... Not sure if it was a bug/glitch or I hit a button I shouldn't have but after the first few groups she stopped attacking enemies, and the enemies ignored her completely.

Bad Feeling... I couldn't shake the feeling I was doing something(s) wrong and/or missing something(s)... and its possible because the menus feel like a mess.

It might get bundled before I finish it...

I own it... but I haven't spent much time with it... I sort of dislike the controls in it. You hear Diablo clone and you expect mouse for everything but VH has you use WASD. You can also use a gamepad/controller. (Which is how I'll have to play it when/if I get to it.) Also, and at least early on... The controls seem very imprecise.
I'm gonna be heretical and say that after playing Diablo 3 on PC and :360: I enjoy ARPGs a lot more with the controller. I guess that once you get into the higher levels and need more precision the mouse is better, but just in terms of pure fun, rolling around and blasting things in Diablo III is better with the controller. I've also enjoyed some of the ARPGs that did not get as much love this way: particularly Daggerdale and Dungeon Siege III.

I'm gonna be heretical and say that after playing Diablo 3 on PC and :360: I enjoy ARPGs a lot more with the controller. I guess that once you get into the higher levels and need more precision the mouse is better, but just in terms of pure fun, rolling around and blasting things in Diablo III is better with the controller. I've also enjoyed some of the ARPGs that did not get as much love this way: particularly Daggerdale and Dungeon Siege III.
You're very much planted in VH when shooting... So I don't think its like Diablo on console were you can move and use range attacks at the same time. (Maybe I'm wrong... I never did get around to trying the demo.)

He's clearly trying to impersonate me (one to the left, btw).
he prolly losing his mind after
black-widow-o.gif

If I'm in a arpg mood its going to be path of exile, and its f2p. The pve events the run from time to time are pretty fun too.

If I'm in a arpg mood its going to be path of exile, and its f2p. The pve events the run from time to time are pretty fun too.
I need to get into that one... I just sit at the character creation screen and try to think of an unused name... Give up and go on to something else.

Has Grid 2 really been on sale for 7.50 all week or did they change the price on it...?   That seems like a really good deal now...  (At least until you realize they have a reloaded edition now with allot, but not all, DLC included.)

Yup, been 7.50 for a few days now...

Has Grid 2 really been on sale for 7.50 all week or did they change the price on it...? That seems like a really good deal now... (At least until you realize they have a reloaded edition now with allot, but not all, DLC included.)

Yup, been 7.50 for a few days now...
Yeah, part of their Codemasters sale.

Weekend Deals
66% - 75% off Codemaster Games and DLC

Daily Deal
75% off Survivor Squad (DRM Free/Steam) - $2.25

Midweek Deals
75% off Sleeping Dogs Game and DLC
75% off Torchlight Games
50% - 81% off Total War Games and DLC
Hmmmmm - Amazon DVG needs to get that Sleeping Dogs Collection w/ all 24 $DLC's...and put that in the EC list at the GG price (before coupon). ;)

Oh, 25th DLC not in that pack is High Res Texture Pack...and that's free on Steam. ;)

26th DLC is Ghost Pig DLC - and that's also free on Steam. :D

Hmmmmm - Amazon DVG needs to get that Sleeping Dogs Collection w/ all 24 $DLC's...and put that in the EC list at the GG price (before coupon). ;)
Honestly, most of the Sleeping Dogs DLC is not worth the effort that it takes to copy & paste the key to redeem it on steam, let alone being worth spending money on.

BTW, this has nothing to do with anything really, but in your new avatar, you kinda look like Michael Ansara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back