Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sotc1988']I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics when I booted this up and maxed the graphics. I was expecting some ancient 800x600 2D game but this looks pretty good for it's age.[/QUOTE]

+1 to that. The default settings suck ass. I didn't even think of maxing out the graphics until you said to and it looks so much better now. Doesn't really bother me if it sucked though. I've play Starcraft for years, so bad graphics in an RTS don't mean anything.

[quote name='thundarr']Did anyone happen to notice that Bioshock is still $1.99? Are these deals going on all week or is that a glitch. Also, the Bioshock 2 add-ons are either dirt cheap or free.[/QUOTE]

I tried to order BioShock 1 after reading your post, but I was denied. I get this error when checking out on the website (the Marketplace client has it back up to $19.99).

"The price of one or more items in your cart has changed since it was added."

Ive installed a ton of games with DRM attached and never had any problems. I think the potential risks are totally blow out of proportion. While I understand the paranoia, I simply dont buy into it. As others have said, I think the only real people it affects are the pirates. Especially when it has to do online authentication.

Game developers arent going to scare off potential sales by negatively altering consumers computers. It would have just as negative effect on sales as piracy does. Thereby nullifying any real benefit in using it.

I think a few accidents caused a minor panic, that was blown out of proportion by the pirating community to get developers to drop DRM, so that they could more easily pirate software again. Nothing more, nothing less.

[quote name='kosmos13x']So complaining about potentially harmful rootkits and drm that hurt the consumer more than help them generally (and also apparently everyone is suppose to kiss M$ ass) without any questions is the perfect world you see? Sorry but I actually have a brain and don't live in a country run by a dictator. Point is that trying to label people who dont support certain types of drm as automatic prirates is a bit immature and ignorant on your part. Guess I wouldn't fit in your world! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Yeah me either. I guess the fact I actually bought the game is irrelevant. After all, people who want to dictate the world aren't usually bothered by little things like... fact.

The deal is genuine, it's the last one of the daily deals for now.

Everyone MUST grab this game, there's simply no reason not to grab it at that price (you would be very stupid not to bite on this deal).

PS: Using Microsoft Points would make it 8 Microsoft Points, doubt anyone would use MSP instead of their Credit Card.

Wow! This totaled my Vista 32 OS.

I don't know if it was AOE or LIVE marketplace. I had to do a system restore and it's still running like molasses. I couldn't boot into the OS.

[quote name='tim44']Wow! This totaled my Vista 32 OS.

I don't know if it was AOE or LIVE marketplace. I had to do a system restore and it's still running like molasses. I couldn't boot into the OS.[/QUOTE]

The system and the client is crap. It is using. .Net too I believe which could causes some major issues if it is not installed properly.

[quote name='louiedog']What do those items have to do with rootkits?[/QUOTE]

They functionally cause similar issues as a rootkit could in regards to system functionality and security concerns. A rootkit is only one type of application that can be used for executing malicious code or have undesirable affects on a computer's operation, if someone is actually concerned about what runs on their computer then it would be foolish to discount anything that doesn't carry the name rootkit but can still cause these problems.

Again though, the games from the Games for Windows Marketplace should be pretty clean of anything aside from basic activation, so there's no need for concern in regards to AoE3. Although the fact that the download client is buggy, bloated, and prone to crashing is a potential headache...

[quote name='Nesrie']The system and the client is crap. It is using. .Net too I believe which could causes some major issues if it is not installed properly.[/QUOTE]

I might try it on a different computer, but I'll never put that LIVE marketplace on this one again.

[quote name='rhewes']I tried to order BioShock 1 after reading your post, but I was denied. I get this error when checking out on the website (the Marketplace client has it back up to $19.99).

"The price of one or more items in your cart has changed since it was added."[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. Can anyone confirm with Bioshock 2?

[quote name='genfuyung']So I just installed it and now it wants a cd key that can be found on the back of the packaging...a little help?[/QUOTE]

Has a link that says View Game Keys in the Client right where it was downloading. Oh wait, i am not supposed to say that right, because only pirates complain about DRM. :lol:

[quote name='madogmgd']Eh,

I WOULDNT use my credit card if i were you
If its not on their file already it will keep it there for life.

If it is on there just use your MSP

Because as soon as microsoft sees its a mistake.
They can always do some legal thing to jump the price up to 40$ and charge your card for it.

Might not happen but its FRIGGIN MICROSOFT
Anythings possible.[/QUOTE]
anythings possible... thats what i always say to myself when i see idiots like you:applause:

anyway, havent played age of empires since the last expansion of part 2 so i had to get this... i remember when it came out, i didnt bother because i think i still had my 6600GT at the time

[quote name='Nesrie']Has a link that says View Game Keys in the Client right where it was downloading. Oh wait, i am not supposed to say that right, because only pirates complain about DRM. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Well my girlfriend loved the original Age of Empires, but had no available points and I didn't want to stick a credit card on her account. I tried a seller on ebay with 100 point codes for $2 and he sent it in 15 minutes. Stealth present time. ;)

Anyone else unable to start up the GFW client? It installed fine. When I try to start it up, a screen pops up saying it is loading and then nothing happens

[quote name='DirkBelig']The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded.

If I was Emperor of the Universe, I would have an army of stormtroopers monitoring the Internet for dumbasses like this and the moment they post this crap, they'd be sent to kick down their door; confiscate their computers and consoles; punch them in the ear; and leave them with a Mattel Electronic Football game from 1979 to play with. Babies.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you, and thank you so more. The tinfoil brigade on this site can be so freaking awful sometimes. It is amazing how paranoid some people are.

[quote name='Elite Bushido™']anythings possible... thats what i always say to myself when i see idiots like you:applause:

anyway, havent played age of empires since the last expansion of part 2 so i had to get this... i remember when it came out, i didnt bother because i think i still had my 6600GT at the time[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I can't believe people are passing on this deal because of Microsoft. I have an XBox 360 and 3 computers running on Windows. Microsoft has enough information on me to rape my dog, kill my girlfriend, and drain my bank account.

You guys calling it a mistake.. yet its advertised on their front page as AGE OF EMPIRES 10 Cent deal! blows my mind lol....

[quote name='SoulReaver']Anyone else unable to start up the GFW client? It installed fine. When I try to start it up, a screen pops up saying it is loading and then nothing happens[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem.

[quote name='rayne117']I'm sorry, what you wrote doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say that you are ignorant and believe rootkit DRM isn't actually a problem?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...topics/113735-how-remove-securom-rootkit.html[/QUOTE]

tin-foil-hat1.jpg

Glad you are protecting the cat, too, loser.

does anyone know if theres a way to download this and take it to another computer?

my house doesnt have internet right now so i bought it at my parents house and have a 16gb usb drive.

is there a way to DL it here and take it? They got fios so its quick.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Thank you, thank you, and thank you so more. The tinfoil brigade on this site can be so freaking awful sometimes. It is amazing how paranoid some people are.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you, thank you. This install actually rendered my OS unbootable. You read the forums so poorly.

[quote name='genfuyung']Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I probably should have mentioned you actually have to click on the game to see that link "View Game Keys" under All Downloads. It's a pretty antiquated system compared to the other digi stores.

[quote name='sleepy180']does anyone know if theres a way to download this and take it to another computer?

my house doesnt have internet right now so i bought it at my parents house and have a 16gb usb drive.

is there a way to DL it here and take it? They got fios so its quick.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. Check the Download Location on the Games for Windows Marketplace Client configuration tab.

[quote name='tim44']Yes, thank you, thank you. This install actually rendered my OS unbootable. You read the forums so poorly.[/QUOTE]

you know if that install rendered your pc unbootable.. you probably have alot more problems then just a securom rootkit...

[quote name='DarkPGR']Yes it is. Check the Download Location on the Games for Windows Marketplace Client configuration tab.[/QUOTE]

thank you thank you.

I went ahead and bought this for 10 MSP, I dont even know if my PC will even be able to run it. I never game on my PC, except for games like Peggle and Bejeweled. I shouldnt need a bad ass PC to run this game right? Dont get me wrong, my PC isnt shit, its just not built for gaming.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I went ahead and bought this for 10 MSP, I dont even know if my PC will even be able to run it. I never game on my PC, except for games like Peggle and Bejeweled. I shouldnt need a bad ass PC to run this game right? Dont get me wrong, my PC isnt shit, its just not built for gaming.[/QUOTE]

just go for it daz, ran on my $200 e-machine that is 2 years old, bumped up the rez to 1650x1050 and it actually ran better than when it was at 800x600..you got nothing to lose. I do this a lot with Steam games I don't think will run either. worst thing you'll have to do when it crashes is uninstall it..

[quote name='Brother Daz']I went ahead and bought this for 10 MSP, I dont even know if my PC will even be able to run it. I never game on my PC, except for games like Peggle and Bejeweled. I shouldnt need a bad ass PC to run this game right? Dont get me wrong, my PC isnt shit, its just not built for gaming.[/QUOTE]

As long as your PC is not 6 years old and "nice" Im sure you can probably run it on low settings.. really as long as you have a real GPU of some sort.

To the people who are getting their panties in a twist over my comments: GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

The false indignation is just silly. I am so bored of damn near every thread here having some tinfoil-hatted ninny posting, "Does it have DRM? If so, then NO SALE!" These people probably have so many games on Steam that Gabe Newell sends them thank you notes on the Jimmy John's wrappers he gets with the sandwiches their purchases have funded.

We're not talking StarForce here, which did cause some problems for some people and we're certainly not talking Sony MUSIC CDs - jeez, why not bring up the Crusades and slavery while you're straw manning? - but for most people, I don't buy the faux concern and outrage. When they did that Indie Bundle earlier this year in which people could pay whatever they wanted, direct the money to charity, and the games didn't have DRM, and people STILL PIRATED IT, I knew that there were more people opposed to paying one thin dime for their hours of entertainment than genuinely worried about computer problems. I'll bet Flash crashes more than the GFW client; you gonna not use that? Didn't think so.

My central point, in addition to having no patience for the diaper-fillers, was that these clowns are saying that they don't trust a product from a giant corporation that they could bring legal action against if there's a big enough problem, so they'd rather download copies from the Internet which have modified executables included in order to circumvent the security the devs/pubs put in place. What's in that "fixed" EXE or in the "steamclient.dll" file?

In order to "stick it to The Man" you are counting on untouchable, untraceable groups to not steal your private info, Trojan your computer, or generally eff things up for you. If they aren't evil, perhaps someone who repacks the torrent with their own malware is. But with a snotty air of juvenile superiority, you'll go to TPB before GFW just because and when called on it, you get defensive.

It's like refusing to buy an Xbox from Best Buy because their customer service sucks and you hate blue shirts, so instead you'll give some guy in the Circle K parking lot $100 for one in his trunk instead. Good luck with that!

[quote name='token2k6']just go for it daz, ran on my $200 e-machine that is 2 years old, bumped up the rez to 1650x1050 and it actually ran better than when it was at 800x600..you got nothing to lose. I do this a lot with Steam games I don't think will run either. worst thing you'll have to do when it crashes is uninstall it..[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're so lying. You didn't get this to run. Hell, your computer actually blew up when you installed the game. No, wait, it blew up when you thought about even buying it. My bad.

[quote name='DirkBelig']To the people who are getting their panties in a twist over my comments: GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

The false indignation is just silly. I am so bored of damn near every thread here having some tinfoil-hatted ninny posting, "Does it have DRM? If so, then NO SALE!" These people probably have so many games on Steam that Gabe Newell sends them thank you notes on the Jimmy John's wrappers he gets with the sandwiches their purchases have funded.

We're not talking StarForce here, which did cause some problems for some people and we're certainly not talking Sony MUSIC CDs - jeez, why not bring up the Crusades and slavery while you're straw manning? - but for most people, I don't buy the faux concern and outrage. When they did that Indie Bundle earlier this year in which people could pay whatever they wanted, direct the money to charity, and the games didn't have DRM, and people STILL PIRATED IT, I knew that there were more people opposed to paying one thin dime for their hours of entertainment than genuinely worried about computer problems. I'll bet Flash crashes more than the GFW client; you gonna not use that? Didn't think so.

My central point, in addition to having no patience for the diaper-fillers, was that these clowns are saying that they don't trust a product from a giant corporation that they could bring legal action against if there's a big enough problem, so they'd rather download copies from the Internet which have modified executables included in order to circumvent the security the devs/pubs put in place. What's in that "fixed" EXE or in the "steamclient.dll" file?

In order to "stick it to The Man" you are counting on untouchable, untraceable groups to not steal your private info, Trojan your computer, or generally eff things up for you. If they aren't evil, perhaps someone who repacks the torrent with their own malware is. But with a snotty air of juvenile superiority, you'll go to TPB before GFW just because and when called on it, you get defensive.

It's like refusing to buy an Xbox from Best Buy because their customer service sucks and you hate blue shirts, so instead you'll give some guy in the Circle K parking lot $100 for one in his trunk instead. Good luck with that![/QUOTE]

Why are you talking about piracy?

[quote name='Rollett']you know if that install rendered your pc unbootable.. you probably have alot more problems then just a securom rootkit...[/QUOTE]

All it takes is an incompatible or poorly written driver.

Can hardly think they are giving it away for 10 cents... I bought the original collection for $40 since it was my first purchase into this installment. I think they are still charging $50 in stores.

Madness!!!

I can't wait to see if they have any more. They probably sold more now than they did of the actuall set.

anyone can help here? need to buy it for a friend, but the only card with funds -virtual credit card- isn't accepted by the GFWM.

Will pay $1 to whoever can help me buy it for a friend (so you can also buy it for yourself and keep the change)

PS: PayPal accepts sending $1 to someone, right? sorry if it's a n00b question.

[quote name='DirkBelig']To the people who are getting their panties in a twist over my comments: GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

It's like refusing to buy an Xbox from Best Buy because their customer service sucks and you hate blue shirts, so instead you'll give some guy in the Circle K parking lot $100 for one in his trunk instead. Good luck with that![/QUOTE]

THIS. I always find that the people that hate DRM the most are usually simple thieves (or pirates, call it the way you like).

bread's done
Back