Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkPGR']anyone can help here? need to buy it for a friend, but the only card with funds -virtual credit card- isn't accepted by the GFWM.

Will pay $1 to whoever can help me buy it for a friend (so you can also buy it for yourself and keep the change)

PS: PayPal accepts sending $1 to someone, right? sorry if it's a n00b question.[/QUOTE]
I bought a 100 point code off eBay for $2. They said shipping within a day but it came via email in 15 minutes. Enjoy!

So is the DRM just GFWL? Since I've had to install that before to play Arkham Asylum, Dawn of War 2 etc. While annoying, I'll tolerate it.

Or is there a limited # of installs and other such things?

[quote name='Guerrilla']I bought a 100 point code off eBay for $2. They said shipping within a day but it came via email in 15 minutes. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! Gotta check that ou!

[quote name='kosmos13x']So complaining about potentially harmful rootkits and drm that hurt the consumer more than help them generally (and also apparently everyone is suppose to kiss M$ ass) without any questions is the perfect world you see? Sorry but I actually have a brain and don't live in a country run by a dictator. Point is that trying to label people who dont support certain types of drm as automatic prirates is a bit immature and ignorant on your part. Guess I wouldn't fit in your world! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Sony Defense Force is this way

http://www.youtube.com/user/BUTTHURTDEFENSEFORCE

Oh, make sure that you are only using a MAC or Linux too since obviously Microsoft isn't trustworthy, but using their OS obviously is fine. LOL

[quote name='DarkPGR']THIS. I always find that the people that hate DRM the most are usually simple thieves (or pirates, call it the way you like).[/QUOTE]

I hate DRM and never pirate games. But what do I know, I'm just an average joe that likes to be mindful of what gets installed on his PC.

By the way, I bought this. Shocking, I know, for a pirating DRM hater like myself.

Man finished downloading the game and now GFWL didn't even give me any activation nor LIVE keys when I check the key list. Now I gotta wait for them to e-mail back. $.10 wasn't worth this trouble. :(

My first experience with GFWL was the FEAR 2 $5 deal a while back, and I could hardly stand it. I was so fed up with the awful download rate and 1008 different updates or gotchas that by the time the game actually finished downloading 3 days later I had already decided to shell out for CoD Black Ops (which was a bigger mistake, mind you, thanks to crap performance -- somewhat resolved with patches).

...But now, despite the inevitable swarm of people currently downloading it, I'm getting about 2MB/s on AoE3. Maybe I just had a bad bout with GFWL? Anyone else been using it for a long time now? I had to use the integration aspect of it with Dawn of War II and didn't completely hate it -- Matchmaking sucked though.

[quote name='genfuyung']So I just installed it and now it wants a cd key that can be found on the back of the packaging...a little help?[/QUOTE]

I had to exit out of the client and re-enter, and viola it was there. (under the purchased item, just click on everything under your Age 3 deal and you'll see it - pain in the rear that it wasn't there at first for sure)

[quote name='tim44']Yes, thank you, thank you. This install actually rendered my OS unbootable. You read the forums so poorly.[/QUOTE]

He speaks truth! The internet is full of truth and never lies!

[quote name='friedram']He speaks truth! The internet is full of truth and never lies![/QUOTE]

I guess I can only hope the same will happen to you someday. You might have to cover up that you had system problems though to save face with all of the hot air you spewed.

If you aren't getting a CD Key, restart your client and/or Internet Connection. That problem has to do with a communication error between the keys server and your computer.

That can happen even on an average day if you look up an old purchase when your internet connection isn't working properly.

[quote name='DirkBelig']To the people who are getting their panties in a twist over my comments: GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

The false indignation is just silly. I am so bored of damn near every thread here having some tinfoil-hatted ninny posting, "Does it have DRM? If so, then NO SALE!" These people probably have so many games on Steam that Gabe Newell sends them thank you notes on the Jimmy John's wrappers he gets with the sandwiches their purchases have funded.

We're not talking StarForce here, which did cause some problems for some people and we're certainly not talking Sony MUSIC CDs - jeez, why not bring up the Crusades and slavery while you're straw manning? - but for most people, I don't buy the faux concern and outrage. When they did that Indie Bundle earlier this year in which people could pay whatever they wanted, direct the money to charity, and the games didn't have DRM, and people STILL PIRATED IT, I knew that there were more people opposed to paying one thin dime for their hours of entertainment than genuinely worried about computer problems. I'll bet Flash crashes more than the GFW client; you gonna not use that? Didn't think so.

My central point, in addition to having no patience for the diaper-fillers, was that these clowns are saying that they don't trust a product from a giant corporation that they could bring legal action against if there's a big enough problem, so they'd rather download copies from the Internet which have modified executables included in order to circumvent the security the devs/pubs put in place. What's in that "fixed" EXE or in the "steamclient.dll" file?

In order to "stick it to The Man" you are counting on untouchable, untraceable groups to not steal your private info, Trojan your computer, or generally eff things up for you. If they aren't evil, perhaps someone who repacks the torrent with their own malware is. But with a snotty air of juvenile superiority, you'll go to TPB before GFW just because and when called on it, you get defensive.

It's like refusing to buy an Xbox from Best Buy because their customer service sucks and you hate blue shirts, so instead you'll give some guy in the Circle K parking lot $100 for one in his trunk instead. Good luck with that![/QUOTE]

Again, WIN! Thank you.

I bought the game earlier and am downloading it now. I still don't have a key but I'll worry about that later. Also what is the DRM? Is there a download limit or is it like steam?

[quote name='friedram']Sony Defense Force is this way

http://www.youtube.com/user/BUTTHURTDEFENSEFORCE

Oh, make sure that you are only using a MAC or Linux too since obviously Microsoft isn't trustworthy, but using their OS obviously is fine. LOL[/QUOTE]

WOW...immaturity at the finest here folks. Taking my post WAY out of context just to fill his (i guess) M$ loving ego. I use microsoft products and Like a lot of them. There goes your whole sony defense theory you fail troll. Or is this your last resort diversion of people who don't like certain types of drm are automatically PIRATES WOOOOO debate?

Grow up kid. I can choose what to buy and not buy. That does not mean I go out and automatically pirate everything just because I don't choose to buy it for drm reasons.

[quote name='Guerrilla']I bought a 100 point code off eBay for $2. They said shipping within a day but it came via email in 15 minutes. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

bought one from eBay a while ago, and still haven't received the code, I'm getting worried :/

I bought and downloaded this but the install asks for a cd key but under game activation key it says No Key Assigned...wasted 10 msp :(

TO FIND YOUR GAME KEY:

1. When it asks for the key, click on the game's line in the GFW client and it will expand to show info.

B. At the bottom, click "View Game Keys" link.

3. Manually enter - copypasta only fills first field - the key into the box. Click OK.

4. PROFIT!

Didn't need to restart the client and it didn't crash. It only took 6-1/2 hours to download. Lame, but OTOH, it was a DIME, people!

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I bought the game but I did not get a product key. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

The way I found mine was opening up my gfwl marketplace client and check my downloads (full games) there. For the AoE3 tab, there is a cd-key display there. See if that helps.

[quote name='DirkBelig']TO FIND YOUR GAME KEY:

1. When it asks for the key, click on the game's line in the GFW client and it will expand to show info.

B. At the bottom, click "View Game Keys" link.

3. Manually enter - copypasta only fills first field - the key into the box. Click OK.

4. PROFIT!

Didn't need to restart the client and it didn't crash. It only took 6-1/2 hours to download. Lame, but OTOH, it was a DIME, people![/QUOTE]

Yeah I did that and it shows

Game activation key:
No key assigned

Live Access Code:
No key assigned

[quote name='DarkPGR']There are no Download limits
There are no Install limits

THe only limit is the online portion of the game: One key per account.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice! Thanks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']God, what the hell is Microsoft trying to prove by not taking Paypal.[/QUOTE]

Seems like an oversight here on MS's part, because the 360 Marketplace website takes Paypal no problem. I don't think they are against Paypal.

My download finished in like an hour or less. I restarted the client, turned off my router and modem and back on, still no key listed. :( I can wait though.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']Yeah I did that and it shows

Game activation key:
No key assigned

Live Access Code:
No key assigned[/QUOTE]
I'm getting the same thing. I restarted my connection and my GFWL client.

Quite the oversight, but if I recall the marketplace launch is pretty new. Lets hope paypal gets implemented soon since it's widely used.

This definitely is a Microsoft operation

I get this after downloading the 2.5GB Age of Empires III game:

Install of item failed. If retry fails, delete the item and re-download.
Code: 80070003

Game activation key:
No key assigned

Live Access Code:
No key assigned[/QUOTE]

EXACT problem i am having, oh well at least if i dont get it i know NEVER to get anything from windows live glad it was a 10 cent game instead of a 20 dollar game.

[quote name='louiedog']You can use points, but it costs 10 points, not 8, so about 12.5 cents. It was worth the extra couple of pennies for me because I had a weird number of points and have yet to put my credit card into their system. I didn't want to do that for a 10 cent purchase.[/QUOTE]

That's a 25% markup, outrageous if you ask me!

Game activation key:
No key assigned

Live Access Code:
No key assigned[/QUOTE]
I'm also getting this bullshit:bomb:

2 threads about the same deal? weird...

anyway, anyone here with a spare 100 Microsoft Points code that would help me? it's for a friend and I need it ASAP. I bought one off eBay for $2 but they haven't sent me the code yet :/

I got AOE3 but I wasn't given a product key. >_<

Oh well it's only 10 cents at least I know not to buy from them if I can't get it to work without a big hassle.

Well 2 things might of happened.

1) They ran out of keys for the time being...lets hope M$ takes care of it soon.
2) The deal was a glitch and they are trying to shut it down (though I think someone said it was a confirmed deal...so this could be thrown out the window immediately)

Ideally, lets hope they are acknowledging the problem at least so something can be done.

[quote name='kosmos13x']WOW...immaturity at the finest here folks. Taking my post WAY out of context just to fill his (i guess) M$ loving ego. I use microsoft products and Like a lot of them. There goes your whole sony defense theory you fail troll. Or is this your last resort diversion of people who don't like certain types of drm are automatically PIRATES WOOOOO debate?

Grow up kid. I can choose what to buy and not buy. That does not mean I go out and automatically pirate everything just because I don't choose to buy it for drm reasons.[/QUOTE]

wow, hit a nerve. Must have hit a little to close to home. If you use Microsoft products, why miss out on such an awesome deal?

The deal is legit, they did it on purpose

They didn't run out of keys, that message is just a "communication error" between your client and the keys server. Just give it some time and it will show up. (Restarting your internet connection and client helps).

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I got AOE3 but I wasn't given a product key. >_<

Oh well it's only 10 cents at least I know not to buy from them if I can't get it to work without a big hassle.[/QUOTE]

give it some time and the key will show up. The keys server is under extremely heavy load from this sale, that's why it isn't showing a CD Key for you.

Does anyone know whether I'll be able to install this on both my desktop and my laptop (using the same Live account), or whether the key is single use? If I can install it on both, that'll be great, but if I can only install on one I want to know in advance so I can decide which to put it on.

[quote name='arcane93']Does anyone know whether I'll be able to install this on both my desktop and my laptop (using the same Live account), or whether the key is single use? If I can install it on both, that'll be great, but if I can only install on one I want to know in advance so I can decide which to put it on.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you'll have no problem doing that. I have mine installed on 2 desktops at home and my laptop.

[quote name='DarkPGR']Yes, you'll have no problem doing that.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. I don't do a lot of PC gaming, but for this price I couldn't pass it up.

[quote name='friedram']wow, hit a nerve. Must have hit a little to close to home. If you use Microsoft products, why miss out on such an awesome deal?[/QUOTE]

Because I already bought the deal and you still have NO clue what the original debate discussion was about as it again shows. Really all your posts have been so far are Me 2 and insult posts. Do something better with your life and move on please.

[quote name='Darklurkr23']Uhh yea jsut saw this damn work! Is the Xbox Live one still findable?[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can find it on the original link. Share it with your friends!

bread's done
Back