Games you were excited about and turned out to be TurDs !!!

Every game ever made sucks. In fact i hate video games, i think i might just give them all to charity.

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror - Not really a turd, nor was I really all that excited to play it, but it definitely was not the amazing game that people hyped it up to be. The online mode has to be the worst I've seen in a game in a good long while. The community just ruins any fun that could've been had. It was a good game, but flawed.

Driv3r is absolutely terrible. I bought it and found out the hard way.

Madden 07 for Xbox 360, that game sucks for football.

Call of Duty 2, I thought it was going to be awesome but it turns out I've played it before and it was called Call of Duty 1 and Medal of Honor.

Sonic Heroes
WWE Games on the Gamecube
XIII

I was also mega disappointed with the Gamecube until it became obsolete. N64 had tons of quality awesome games that I wanted sequels to and they almost all ended up being worse (Sunshine, Jungle Beat) or non-existant (Perfect Dark, Banjo, CBFD) on the Gamecube. They REALLY fucked up by losing Rare's support. I was playing DKC for SNES today and was just in awe at so many nuances in that game that I rarely ever see nowadays.

[quote name='davo1224']
I was also mega disappointed with the Gamecube until it became obsolete. N64 had tons of quality awesome games that I wanted sequels to and they almost all ended up being worse (Sunshine, Jungle Beat) or non-existant (Perfect Dark, Banjo, CBFD) on the Gamecube. They REALLY fucked up by losing Rare's support. I was playing DKC for SNES today and was just in awe at so many nuances in that game that I rarely ever see nowadays.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit I've found my bizzarro twin on a couple of these. I've gotta respond to Bizzarro Me because he's not on topic, he's just dumping on the Cube.

I was never excited about DKC but I'd say it's a mild turd for all the bogus build-up it gets. Incidentally, that's the same way I feel about Rare games in general: what's the big deal? Am I supposed to ignore the suck because of Goldeneye (which I'm admittedly not crazy about, though I don't begrudge the game its critical praise) and maybe Blast Corps?

I guess the major brainbender is that someone believes that Jungle Beat is worse than DK64. Mothergrabbin' Jungle Beat, which rocked the cube six ways to sunday and made those bongos worth owning. You've blown my mind grapes, Bizzarro Me.

Resident Evil 4. I just can't get in to this game, the controls are so frustrating I just can't have fun playing it.

Well I have to go back and throw some clumping litter on the pile of poo Gears of War was again...

Here is some thought behind this one....

Take the ideas of RE4 and implement them into the game because you were such a big fan of the game "as Cliffy mentioned"

But does anyone remember or have played the other pile of poo of a game that Gears totally rips of " Kill.Switch" from Namco?
Gear is basically a clone of that game with a shiny coat of paint on it and aliens instead of generic terroists..

I am still waiting for the Next-Gen games to come out.. those Wow games all they seem to call next gen games now are games we have all played before with nice pretty Graphics..

[quote name='davo1224']They REALLY fucked up by losing Rare's support. [/QUOTE]

Ho ho!

Thank you for the good laugh, sir!

OP, great idea for a topic.

For the Wii: (the system itself is a bit of a letdown, I have yet to buy a full priced game and be impressed...)

Super Paper Mario has turned out to be a complete waste of my time, and I played through the first boss and realized I'd be better off going to the library and renting out a 10,000 page novel, because that would require less reading.

Mario Strikers Charged, I just bought that at Costco, and I was REALLLY hyped for this one. I usually do not buy games on day 1, but I couldn't help myself (see my screename and I think you'll understand.) Instead of a soccer game like Mega Man Soccer or Head on Soccer (both arcade styles soccer games for SNES and both great) we get this Mario Party rip off game where the comptuer cheats its way into a victory every time and the game basically comes down to who can get off more super shots, which become overused and BORING.

Warioware - HOW DOES THIS GAME GET OVER A 9.0 AT GS?!? Even Cheapy was talking about how the single player was a blast. IT IS NOT A BLAST. It was a game I sold within minutes of buying it. TERRIBLE! It is like a Japanese acid trip...

360: (the fact that they all breaks seems to be the big disappointment here...)

Call of Duty 3 - After playing COD2, this game seems worse than the first. You have to play both to understand. I hope COD4 is all they are hyping it to be.

As for all of the Gears of War bashers, this was the second game I purchased for the 360, and I played it once and didn't put it in my system again until this past summer when a firend got it. We played co-op for over 10 hours. Single player and multiplayer is not fun, but for some reason this game redeems itself with the co-op, especially since it is playable from two different houses.

Mario Kart: Double Dash: I enjoy the game, but it's easily the worst in the series. The lack of any great multiplayer mode (plus block fort) is what really kills it for me. I played the game a ton when it came out and unlocked everything, yet now all I can do is groan whenever someone wants to play it. I wouldn't call this game a turd by any means, but I was really thrilled for it and it let me down a little.

Perfect Dark Zero: Is a gigantic turd. However, I wasn't really too excited about the game, so no big.

Call of Duty 3: It's essentially the same as CoD2, except for some reason it's just pretty shitty.

While I wouldn't exactly call it a 'turd' per say, Gears of War was a real let down to me in a variety of ways for me. While I know Epic isn't too great with storylines (aka Unreal I & II), they did semi-decent with Gears and the game felt pretty fluid too. Except it ended very abruptly, the game was easy (even on insane), and the enemy variety was rather poor. Plus the multiplayer absolutely pales in comparison to my beloved Unreal Tournament games in just about every single way. They really shouldof let it sit in development longer to flush out the story more with a wider variety of enemies, and put more in to the multiplayer.

While I still enjoyed the game, especially as co-op, I have to say... BRING ON UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 BITCHES!

[quote name='soccerstud652']OP, great idea for a topic.

For the Wii: (the system itself is a bit of a letdown, I have yet to buy a full priced game and be impressed...)

Super Paper Mario has turned out to be a complete waste of my time, and I played through the first boss and realized I'd be better off going to the library and renting out a 10,000 page novel, because that would require less reading. [/quote]

If you haven't played through Chapter 3, you're totally missing out. Stop playing after that if you must.

[quote name='soccerstud652']
Warioware - HOW DOES THIS GAME GET OVER A 9.0 AT GS?!? Even Cheapy was talking about how the single player was a blast. IT IS NOT A BLAST. It was a game I sold within minutes of buying it. TERRIBLE! It is like a Japanese acid trip...[/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing.

stuntman
I was very excited about this. I played it until I coulndtbstand the loading torture.

driver 2
I really wanted to pretend I liked it. then I discovered a bug that got me stuck so I stopped playing.

svc
I thought I had a great deal when I picked this up at cc for 9 bux. that was terrible.

state of emergency
talk about the worst hyped up game of all time!

back to the future for nes
loved the movie but the game is god aweful.theres more I just can't think of them right now

Turd might be a bit harsh, but games I was really looking forward to and ended up not really liking at all would include:

Halo 2
Gears of War
Dead Rising

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Driv3r is absolutely terrible. I bought it and found out the hard way.

Madden 07 for Xbox 360, that game sucks for football.

Call of Duty 2, I thought it was going to be awesome but it turns out I've played it before and it was called Call of Duty 1 and Medal of Honor.[/quote]
For me I thought Driv3r was a kick ass game:bomb: The best soundtrack is the Ocean Avenue Album by Yellowcard. My brother put it on and we used to play it all the time on driv3r now whenever i hear a song from the ablum I think of Driv3r. BTW I'm talking about Xbox version not PC

Call of Duty 2 sucked. I was a huge fan of call of duty 1 +UO on the pc. To actually accept that they took out features... (No vehicles in multiplayer, sprinting) pissed me off to no end. Also, I didn't think that Planet Puzzle League was all that It was cracked up to be.

Crusin USA for N64. Nintendo said it would be a 100% perfect arcade port with added features such as a bumper car mini game. Neither were true, it was choppier than in the arcade and it was censored (animals removed from the entire game) and no new modes were added. Worse, a memory card was required to save.

Every Call of Duty after UO. I miss getting meager bits of health for killing people instead of recovering all of my health from sitting behind a wall.
Also:
Red Steel (First to come to mind)
Trauma Center (DS and Wii)
Wario Ware (all of them)
Sonice Heroes
Any game using cards for a battle system
Ragdoll Kung Fu (I'm still pissed about that one)
The Megamans for the GBA and DS (Except for the Zero games)
Any Tomb Raider game

Yeah, there must be more but I can't remember them at the moment

Here is one and if anyone played the PS2 version of this they know..

NFL Blitz: The League............... I don't know if the game was really any good seeing I played only one game due to the fact that I could hardly stay awake waiting for all the loading...

Unfortunatly, I'm gonna have to add Bioshock to the list. While by no means a "turd", I bought it after hearing so much great stuff about it. It was a solid game and all, but it felt so much like half-life mixed with Star Wars (force shock, telekenesis, etc.) that I felt like I had played it many times before. Luckily I only paid $40 for it and I can trade it for $42 credit Saturday.

All of the RAW vs. SmackDown! games for PS2. After a VERY nice (or atleast in regards to wrestling games on PS2) SD5: Here Comes The Pain, the first RAW vs. SD game was a total turd with the others following suit.

As far as crapping on GC, I love it and have one with pretty much all the hits sans the quasi-RPGs that were released since I can't stand them. I just felt let down. DK Jungle Beat and Mario Sunshine weren't turds but they're nowhere near as good to me as any of the games that preceded them in the same franchise. I felt that they would have been better as a break from tradition, not the platformer-turned-retard version of Guitar Hero (Donkey Konga 2 especially, not so much the other two bongo games) and the platformer-turned-germophobia assault vehicle.

As far as my love for Rare, I just really enjoyed their games. There's tons of reasons why:

They put out games that could be played and enjoyed by everybody. You didn't need to be a FPS nut to play Goldeneye nor a genius to figure out how to complete the objectives.

The games also got progressively harder but they never broke away from their core. A LOT of developers forget this. You don't make a game harder as it goes by increasing enemies or taking away life/energy/fuel etc. A game also should never get harder either because its limitations hamper the gameplay (e.g. lots of jumping in the later levels of a platformer even though the button detection sucks)

Kinda tying into the last reason, the gameplay was always built and layered very well. Especially in the DKC games, when you were presented with learning how to overcome a new task you weren't given some stupid tutorial and then expected to do it right away. Instead you were smoothed into the process until you realized you could do it without trying. A specific example is the use of the tires that were littered about in the first one. When you first encounter them, you see bananas above that are higher than normal jumping distance so you jump on the tire to get them. Later on you'll see a platform instead of the bananas so you know to use the tire to bounce up high. Further on down the line you roam through a level passing a lone tire and you reach a high platform. You figure out that you have to move the tire near the platform to jump up. Lots of games will just start you off with a tire somewhere in the distance and a high platform without explaining the connection. You'll think the tire is for something else until you start experimenting.

I think DK64 gets crapped on very unfairly. It gets shat on for being too much of a fetch quest but it never felt like that to me. I thought it was genius that to break up the monotony you had to use different characters to achieve different goals. Too many developers would make the main game all about Donkey Kong and then make using the others a bonus. When I think of fetch quest I think of King Kong or even moreso Super Mario 64 (beating the same level three different ways with the same guy?).

[quote name='CHARYODA']Here's one that I'm sure some people will disagree with but for me it just didn't live up to what it could (maybe should) have been.

Super Mario Sunshine.

It was the first new mario platformer in so long that I was super excited and then I found out that I was cleaning shit.[/quote]

At first I thought the same thing... but after watching my son play this game for years (and years) it is a really nice little game.

Pac Man (2600) (traded it to a kid down the street for 2 Activision games the same day I bought it... Kaboom and Pitfall 2 I believe)
Gears Of War (360) (nothing new...)
Death Jr (PSP)(yeah, a stinker)
Star Wars Batttlefront II (PC)(it was the same as part one !!!!)
The Simpsons (both SNES games... man, they sucked)

Bioshock, didn't it take them 7 years to make the game? And there's 7 levels. Wow, one level per year! And those damn 10/10 reviews. The game is good but not excellent, nor perfect. Also, there is no multiplayer after you beat the game. Worth a rental, not $60.

I have to say Sonic the Hedgehog Next Gen. They should of took their time to fix the game instead of rushing it. I can safety say that because I have played through the entire game.

Also Capcom Fighting Evolution a lazy game with cut and paste characters from other games. They didn't bother to update any of the sprites and some of those characters were lifted from Playstation One games!
And it just didn't have the fun that Marvel vs Capcom and Capcom vs Snk games had.

[quote name='Sonic2nd']I have to say Sonic the Hedgehog Next Gen. They should of took their time to fix the game instead of rushing it. I can safety say that because I have played through the entire game.[/quote]

Agreed. They were planning on Delaying it to fix the issues, but they felt it would harm sales. :roll:

Let's see, some of these have already been mentioned, some haven't.

Sonic Heroes
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Devil May Cry 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee- hyped out the ass about how the single player was improved. I buy it and find out it's pretty shallow single player game.
WWE games on Xbox- while GC & PS2 got decent games, Xbox got crappy games by developers that had no experience with wrestling games.

[quote name='tangytangerine']
Super Smash Bros. Melee- hyped out the ass about how the single player was improved. I buy it and find out it's pretty shallow single player game.
[/QUOTE]

User error x 100000000000.

The game that hyped me up so bad and I ended up playing was...

Smackdown vs. Raw 2007

it was just awful compared to '06

Call of Duty 3. The second game I bought for 360 and it completely sucked. Take any mediocre PC FPS and it kills this one. COD 2 was amazing though, and COD 4 looks to redeem itself. Thank god they went back to the original developer.

[quote name='dim2192']Bioshock, didn't it take them 7 years to make the game? And there's 7 levels. Wow, one level per year! And those damn 10/10 reviews. The game is good but not excellent, nor perfect. Also, there is no multiplayer after you beat the game. Worth a rental, not $60.[/quote]

Yea, definitely a rental. All the reviews say, "you will play through it through again". I didn't get that feeling. Mine was more like, sell it back now while I can still almost break even. Don't get me wrong, the game is one of the best I have played this year, but when you can beat it in like 3 days, don't waste your money buying it.

Dirge of fucking Cerberus - Even with the bad reviews, as an FFVII fan, I had hopes. Nothing can save this game... the story was painfully insipid, the music bland and unmemorable, and the gameplay the worst I've ever come across in any action-oriented game.

Xenosaga Episode I - *snores*

Final Fantasy XII - Not a total waste, but definately does/did not live up to the hype (and my hopes). It would be absolutely brilliant if it was about 30 hours shorter and the main character was Ashe instead of Vaan. Still playing this one, technically, but it hasn't been touched in well over a month.

[quote name='Derrick1979']I second the Wii but thats not a game lol.. and I also agree anyone from the Nintendo days deserves a refund for buying the power glove...

Another title I would like to add to the list would be:

Ghost in the Shell: SAC (PS2)

hmm for months I tried to get someone on here to trade it to me and after a little searching I found a used one for cheap..... Blah !!! thankfully EBgames had that 7 day return/exchange on used games[/QUOTE]
aww i loved the GitS game...:cry:

well ill start at:
Bioshock
Gears of War
God of War 2
Doom 3
.hack part 4 (ending sucked major ass!)
halo 2
Resistance
MotorStorm

thats what i can remember off the top of my head

[quote name='refusedchaos']aww i loved the GitS game...:cry:

well ill start at:
Biosock
Gears of War
God of War 2
Doom 3
halo 2
Resistance
MotorStorm

thats what i can remember off the top of my head[/quote]\

Don't you still play gears with other CAGs?

Yea, but I don't believe 8 player online is cool either.

Oh, and I hated FF12, but maybe I didn't give it enough time?

[quote name='linkpwns']\
Oh, and I hated FF12, but maybe I didn't give it enough time?[/QUOTE]

Based on what you told me, you definitely didn't give it enough time.

[quote name='refusedchaos']aww i loved the GitS game...:cry:

well ill start at:
Biosock
Gears of War
God of War 2
Doom 3
halo 2
Resistance
MotorStorm

thats what i can remember off the top of my head[/QUOTE]

Lmao Biosock :rofl:

1. God of War 2
2. Legend of Zelda TP
3. Zelda Ocarina of Time
4. CHrono Trigger SNES
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Duck Hunt
7. Metroid Prime 3
8. Playstation 3 System (Huge Failure)
9. SIxis technology

Now games that I thought were going to be duds, but were awesome

1. Two Worlds X360
2.Bioshock
3. Halo 3 (Played it in my sleep, at least a 10 out of 10)

[quote name='linkpwns']\

Don't you still play gears with other CAGs?

Yea, but I don't believe 8 player online is cool either.

Oh, and I hated FF12, but maybe I didn't give it enough time?[/QUOTE]

yea but i still think its crap since there is STILL many glitches in the game and the campain sucked ass too

yea u have to give FF12 more time...it picks up

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Lmao Biosock :rofl:[/QUOTE]
what? it let me down big time. the big daddies were easy as pie, the upgrading system for the element thingies was bah,
atlus ended up to be asian
, and the game was short...nowhere near a system shock 2 killer

[quote name='Poor2More']1. God of War 2
2. Legend of Zelda TP
3. Zelda Ocarina of Time
4. CHrono Trigger SNES
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Duck Hunt
7. Metroid Prime 3
9. SIxis technology

1. Two Worlds X360
2.Bioshock
3. Halo 3 (Played it in my sleep, at least a 10 out of 10)[/QUOTE]

*cough*microsoft fanboy *cough*

[quote name='refusedchaos']yea but i still think its crap since there is STILL many glitches in the game and the campain sucked ass too

yea u have to give FF12 more time...it picks up

what? it let me down big time. the big daddies were easy as pie, the upgrading system for the element thingies was bah,
atlus ended up to be asian
, and the game was short...nowhere near a system shock 2 killer[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Poor2More']1. God of War 2
2. Legend of Zelda TP
3. Zelda Ocarina of Time
4. CHrono Trigger SNES
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Duck Hunt
7. Metroid Prime 3
9. SIxis technology