Gamestop - NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams - $29.99 - NEW

It is because the game isn't good.. Being a nights fan made this one hard to play. The cinemas are just dreadful. The story is horrible. The game play is good though, but you won't want to play through this.

I just watched two gameplay movies on Gamespot. The game looks surprisingly...dull. Swirling through hoops? It appears to be on rails with no freedom of movement. I may have to try this out at some point, just to say I've tried a NIGHTS game, but even at $30, I can't bite.

Awfully tempting. I eventually have to get it being a NiGHTS fan, but I might wait for free shipping and no tax from Amazon. Hopefully they follow suit.

Ha, what a shocker. This game is shaq-fu'ing AWFUL. I am so ashamed I paid full price for it.... damn my old school loyalty to Sega.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Ha, what a shocker. This game is shaq-fu'ing AWFUL. I am so ashamed I paid full price for it.... damn my old school loyalty to Sega.[/quote]

I loved this game!
In fact, I'm gonna try to get it from someone here instead of GS.

[quote name='Monroeski']Will definitely buy at $20. Would probably buy at $30 if I hadn't just picked up CoD4 and MGS Essential this past week.[/quote]

Wow, a bit late on the CoD4 train; but better late than never--have a blast with it online!

I had to rent the game last week because I was about to use a coupon on it to make it $35. I'm glad I didn't. One, this is cheaper, and two, if I were to pay $50, I'd rather pay $50 to hit everyone who worked on this game with a baseball bat. NiGHTS into Dreams is one of my top 5 favorite games EVER. I barely made it through Journey's first world before stopping the Wii and putting another game in. Sonic Team could've at least begged Yuji Naka to stay long enough to do this game. People have been waiting over 11 years for this (I even did my junior year final project redesigning it), and Sega couldn't even straighten up for one stupid game.

This is a great deal. I love this game. I think it's more of a niche game: you either like it or you don't.

The music for this game is AWESOME though. Give it a chance. You can always return it within 7 days of purchase (USED) if you don't like it.

Yeah, I'll wait until it's under $20 before I even think about getting it.

Too bad no one at Sega of America and/or Sega of Japan is smart enough to give its fans what they want!

I mean, how fucking hard is it to bring the original Sega Saturn "Nights Into Dreams" to XBL!?

Come to think of it, how fucking hard is it to bring their past console and arcade classics to XBL!?

(I still can't believe that I never had the opportunity to play "Planet Harrier":bomb::censored::cry:)

[quote name='edzbsu']Yeah, I'll wait until it's under $20 before I even think about getting it.

Too bad no one at Sega of America and/or Sega of Japan is smart enough to give its fans what they want!

I mean, how fucking hard is it to bring the original Sega Saturn "Nights Into Dreams" to XBL!?

Come to think of it, how fucking hard is it to bring their past console and arcade classics to XBL!?

(I still can't believe that I never had the opportunity to play "Planet Harrier":bomb::censored::cry:)[/QUOTE]

There is a PS2 version with the original + enhanced graphics of both NiGHTS and X-Mas NiGHTS in Japan. This probably won't see the light of day over here because Sega sucks.

[quote name='edzbsu']Yeah, I'll wait until it's under $20 before I even think about getting it.

(I still can't believe that I never had the opportunity to play "Planet Harrier":bomb::censored::cry:)[/QUOTE]

Screw Nights just bring Chu Chu Rocket to XBLA!!!

I was really hoping for a completely crappy add this week. I have a nearly packed weekend already (when most of my gaming usually happens), and whatever time I have left I was planning on giving last week's deal, Assassin's Creed, which I'm absolutely loving.

But, this is a darn good deal. Decsisions, decisions.

[quote name='VioletArrows']NiGHTS into Dreams is one of my top 5 favorite games EVER. I barely made it through Journey's first world before stopping the Wii and putting another game in.[/QUOTE]

As with most Wii games lately. I've rented Dragon Quest and Worms and they screwed both of those up, with DQ you can't use the Nunchuk so there's no analog control to move around and talk about linear. I felt like someone was holding my hand on the way to the cave. :lol: Worms was even worse, I was expecting something like worms 3d with better aiming and it was more like Armageddon which isn't a bad thing but the controls completely suck. In order to power up your shot you have to tilt the remote up and down. So here I am pointing the remote from the tv to the ceiling and the bar is only half full. In order to get a full bar, a 100% power, I end up with the remote upside down wrist twisted all the way back pointing at myself. The Wii has potential but it seems everyone just wants a piece of the profit pie and instead of making truly great games they're busy putting their reputation on the line by shoveling :censored: in our faces. Maybe I'll hook up the Saturn this weekend and see/remember what was so great about this game to begin with.

I've been wanting to get it for awhile but will also wait for it to be twenty. I am a huge fan of NIGHTS I simply think the game isn't worth more than twenty bones.

Most Wii games become highly intriguing to me at around $20. So when I can pick this up for that price or less, I'll probably bite, just to have a taste of NIGHTS.

What a stunner, Sega of 1996 shits all over Sega of 2007.

I'll probably get this after another drop but I have a feeling my money would be better spent on the PS2 version of the original.

Having clocked in some significant time, it's better than the original was- if you were to play it now.
The original was more on rails and there was too much walking around not flying. This game addresses those issues, but could have used more...fun.
Playing with the wiimote is a steep learning curve, and by the time you get the hang of it, the game is over. It's not very long, maybe 10 hours for the main game, although there are extras.

I ended up playing most of the game with a wavebird, the precision of flying and making circles is easier. Also, it might make more sense to play will and helen's levels alternately. I played through will first, and playing helen after words explained things more (and also has the same unskippable tutorial).
The frustrating aspect is the first level of each world, if you die fighting the boss, you have to replay the entire level. This becomes very tedious because some of the bosses are a hassle to beat. The first boss for will is classic nights, but the second boss I played twice before checking the answer on gamefaqs. And the last boss of the game is pure tedium.

I don't mind nights, but the owl is really annoying, and the ingame cutscenes rather boring. On foot levels are weak, but the flying levels are decently done. Much like with the saturn version it has that sonic feel to it. Unfortunately, almost every flying level is simply a race to catch a bird. Difficulty also can swing wildly from incredibly easy to having to replay a few times.

if you are intrigued by the game or liked the first one, this is worth taking a look. I was hoping it would be a great game, and there are moments of fun, but overall, there are too many better games out there.

[quote name='almasy82']It is because the game isn't good.. Being a nights fan made this one hard to play. The cinemas are just dreadful. The story is horrible. The game play is good though, but you won't want to play through this.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree about the gameplay. I think it's AWFUL. The play control barely works, it has NONE of the speed and flow from the original, etc.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just watched two gameplay movies on Gamespot. The game looks surprisingly...dull. Swirling through hoops? It appears to be on rails with no freedom of movement. I may have to try this out at some point, just to say I've tried a NIGHTS game, but even at $30, I can't bite.[/QUOTE]

You won't have tried a Nights game. If you want to play nights, dust of your Saturn and track down a copy, or wait for Gametap to release it this year. This is not a Nights game any more than those hideous Sonic games Sega keeps releasing are Sonic games (less even).

[quote name='MrBigFeathas']Awfully tempting. I eventually have to get it being a NiGHTS fan, but I might wait for free shipping and no tax from Amazon. Hopefully they follow suit.[/QUOTE]

If you're a Nights fan that's a wonderful reason to just pretend this creature never happened.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Ha, what a shocker. This game is shaq-fu'ing AWFUL. I am so ashamed I paid full price for it.... damn my old school loyalty to Sega.[/QUOTE]

Yup, me too.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Damn is it THAT bad? I'll wait till $15 or less I guess then.[/QUOTE]

Bad games are not worth $15. Plenty of GOOD games available for $15 (or less), or that's good for a month of Gamefly, or 3 months of Gametap, or...

[quote name='VioletArrows']I had to rent the game last week because I was about to use a coupon on it to make it $35. I'm glad I didn't. One, this is cheaper, and two, if I were to pay $50, I'd rather pay $50 to hit everyone who worked on this game with a baseball bat. NiGHTS into Dreams is one of my top 5 favorite games EVER. I barely made it through Journey's first world before stopping the Wii and putting another game in. Sonic Team could've at least begged Yuji Naka to stay long enough to do this game. People have been waiting over 11 years for this (I even did my junior year final project redesigning it), and Sega couldn't even straighten up for one stupid game.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Sega. They used to be one of the best developers and publishers on the planet, and now...
I made it a lot further than you in the game. Desperately wanted it to be good. But no, it does not get better :cry:

[quote name='opportunity777']There is a PS2 version with the original + enhanced graphics of both NiGHTS and X-Mas NiGHTS in Japan. This probably won't see the light of day over here because Sega sucks.[/QUOTE]

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: That completely sucks, although they probably managed to ruin the control somehow, given that this is Neo Sega.

They also never brought over the Playstation 2 rerelease of Dragon Force either, which remains probably my favorite strategy/RPG ever. Of course it wouldn't have the fantastic Working Designs translation (maybe they could somehow buy the rights to it?). I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. They don't give us Dragon Force or Nights, but they give us these abominations like Sonic, Neo Nights, and who knows what other garbage? Seems like the only good games they're releasing anymore are games by other developers like the Total War guys and Monolith.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Most Wii games become highly intriguing to me at around $20. So when I can pick this up for that price or less, I'll probably bite, just to have a taste of NIGHTS.[/QUOTE]

You won't have had a taste of Nights. This game is an insult, not Nights. Track it down the real thing on the Saturn or wait for the Gametap release.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. They don't give us Dragon Force or Nights, but they give us these abominations like Sonic, Neo Nights, and who knows what other garbage? Seems like the only good games they're releasing anymore are games by other developers like the Total War guys and Monolith.[/quote]

Nights 2 makes me scared for what's going to happen to the new Golden Axe. :cry:

[quote name='boyward']Nights 2 makes me scared for what's going to happen to the new Golden Axe. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Oh crud, that's true. :(

Personally I liked Sega's Saturn days better than the Dreamcast days, but it really seems like they just instantly went downhill once they got rid of the hardware business. Maybe they had to purge a huge chunk of their developers? Maybe they got new management that was incompetent? I don't what happened, because this company used to stand toe to toe with any developer on Earth, and now they're practically like LJN or Acclaim something.

I told myself when the game came out that I'd get it at $30 or so, but let's be honest, it won't be long before this hits $20. I would get it at $30 if I wasn't so sure of another price drop in the near future.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh crud, that's true. :(

Personally I liked Sega's Saturn days better than the Dreamcast days, but it really seems like they just instantly went downhill once they got rid of the hardware business. Maybe they had to purge a huge chunk of their developers? Maybe they got new management that was incompetent? I don't what happened, because this company used to stand toe to toe with any developer on Earth, and now they're practically like LJN or Acclaim something.[/QUOTE]

For clear over a decade, management has been incompetent at Sega. The Saturn had tons of great J-RPGs, which never made it over to the US. The head honchos at Sega didn't believe J-RPGS would be successful overseas. Ironically, Sony and Squaresoft decided to bring over Final Fantasy VII and started to make a killing selling those same titles on the PS1. By the time Sega got its shit together, they were too late.

As far as other non-releases for the PS2, we didn't get the new Altered Beast, Berserk (a completely overlooked game on the Dreamcast) or the Phantasy Star I-IV Collection either. I am still waiting for a retcon / reboot of some sort for the Sonic franchise. The games were fun when there were less characters because people actually gave a shit about who was in the game. Sega sucks and has been terrible for a long time. Every once in a while, they put out a good title. The Sammy merger was the death of their company. Before the merger, I was hoping MS would have bought them out instead.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a NiGHTS 3 never makes it over to the US.

When did the Sammy merger happen? Do you think maybe we can trace Sega's crappyness directly to that merger? Sounds plausible if the years work out more or less.

I really miss them :(
At least they still publish good PC games, but they don't develop them, and beyond that...

bread's done
Back