Gamestop Policy on gutted games..

LINK1392

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well, I bought a copy of Persona 3 and it turned out to be the gut...I decided to return it and buy it elsewhere but they wouldnt take it back becasue it wasnt "sealed".....I ripped the manager a new asshole and they STILL wouldnt take it back.

They also refused to call Corporate. I filed a BBB complaint and im waiting for my phone call.

Does anyone know the actual return policy on a gutted game? Why is it fair that they sell me a game with a crapped up case and torn manual and a disk with some fat guys oily hands all over it THEN they wont let me return it....

Yeah, this was the first time I didnt really pay attention, I was busy looking through old XBOX games when he was ringing it up...I didnt realize it was a gut until I was half way home. mix of tiredness and hunger.

I didnt even play it, I got it yesterday morning and went back to gamestop after work today.

I thought they put stickers where the game case opens if it's a gut, so you can still return it if you don't "open" it.

And I'll tell you right now, calling their district manager will get much faster and efficient results than the BBB. Hell, they might not even be members!

im not trying to be a an ass but if you were going to open it and play it anyway what difference does it make if it was opened if nothign was wrong with it or missing?

Calling the BBB is absolutely useless. YOU should call corporate yourself. Anyway, your GS is run by a bunch of jerks. I've never had a problem returning a gut before.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I thought they put stickers where the game case opens if it's a gut, so you can still return it if you don't "open" it.

And I'll tell you right now, calling their district manager will get much faster and efficient results than the BBB. Hell, they might not even be members![/QUOTE]No, there wasnt a sticker. It was just opened. They also have a BBB member sticker in there window.

[quote name='johnmirra']im not trying to be a an ass but if you were going to open it and play it anyway what difference does it make if it was opened if nothign was wrong with it or missing?[/quote]

it is the principle of the matter. If you pay for a sealed game you expect a sealed game. If you pay for an open/used game you expect an open/used game

you should have no problem if you call corporate...all you wanna do is return it a day after you brought it, not like its weeks later...say it was a gift and you do not want to give it to somebody when its already opened

[quote name='Jedi1979']you should have no problem if you call corporate...all you wanna do is return it a day after you brought it, not like its weeks later...say it was a gift and you do not want to give it to somebody when its already opened[/QUOTE] Yeah, I bought it yesterday morning and tried returning it this afternoon.

Even so, its the principle...For a sealed copy you got 30 days to return it, why not 30 days for a gut?

I know this topic comes up all the time, but I've never really read too deep into it, why doesn't Gamestop / EB just price the gutted copies as Used? Is it really that big of a deal? If the argument is that they need to gut at least one copy to have a copy on the shelf, why not just print out a dummy box art and stick it on a case and put that on the shelf?

Many of the gut copies are used either in the store (For their systems for customers to play on) or are borrowed by employees.

I always check whenever I get bag handed to me to make sure I got a sealed one and not a gutted one. If I get a gutted one, I turn around and tell them I don't want it.

Calling corporate is your best (and only) bet. If anyone can help, it'll be them.

as a store manager of a gamestop/eb games i have to say this, listen im tired of hearing this crap, and ill spell it out for you guys right now so you have no more confusion of our policies.......ON NEW GAMES its 30 day return policy UNOPENED, 7 days to exchange it for the same game OPENED if defective.....the so called used persona that you speak of has never been played, simply put in an envelope or plastic jewel case (depending on the store), and put with the other "gutted" new games, hasn't been tampered with or missing any items....when we sell the last copy of a game we reverse the process, my store in particular will ask if you want it shrink wrapped or "stickered" shut to indicate its sealed for you in case its a gift.........if you want the game sealed up so badly then either A) reserve so its set off to the side for you or B) don't shop at my store cause honestly you people that think there hot shit and have to have there game sealed can go spend more money on your games and not get the gaming experience that we try to offer our customers

Sorry to be blunt but i had an asshole customer like him come in just this weekend not wanting to buy a used game wanted the new one, so i sold him the new one, he comes back an hour later telling me i sold him a used and charged him full price, after explaining it to him and not wanting to deal with a person that thinks he's better than everyone else i gave him his money back and explained to him again how it works with our stores, he just reinterated on how its used, guys, its open thats all it is, shrink wrap taken off.....and you wanna know whats funny, we sometimes get games shipped to us direct from the vendor (thats the guys that make the games) shrink wrapped as if we did it, when we didn't

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted

[quote name='ebman2001']as a store manager of a gamestop/eb games i have to say this, listen im tired of hearing this crap, and ill spell it out for you guys right now so you have no more confusion of our policies.......ON NEW GAMES its 30 day return policy UNOPENED, 7 days to exchange it for the same game OPENED if defective.....the so called used persona that you speak of has never been played, simply put in an envelope or plastic jewel case (depending on the store), and put with the other "gutted" new games, hasn't been tampered with or missing any items....when we sell the last copy of a game we reverse the process, my store in particular will ask if you want it shrink wrapped or "stickered" shut to indicate its sealed for you in case its a gift.........if you want the game sealed up so badly then either A) reserve so its set off to the side for you or B) don't shop at my store cause honestly you people that think there hot shit and have to have there game sealed can go spend more money on your games and not get the gaming experience that we try to offer our customers

Sorry to be blunt but i had an asshole customer like him come in just this weekend not wanting to buy a used game wanted the new one, so i sold him the new one, he comes back an hour later telling me i sold him a used and charged him full price, after explaining it to him and not wanting to deal with a person that thinks he's better than everyone else i gave him his money back and explained to him again how it works with our stores, he just reinterated on how its used, guys, its open thats all it is, shrink wrap taken off.....and you wanna know whats funny, we sometimes get games shipped to us direct from the vendor (thats the guys that make the games) shrink wrapped as if we did it, when we didn't

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/QUOTE] I understand that, but the manual is ripped and the disk has several fingerprints.

If you buy a new sealed game and the manual is ripped and the disk is all oily, would you get pissed? I know I should have checked before leaving but honestly what kind of shady business tactics are they pulling ? Its this kind of bullshit that makes me want to avoid gamestop and Eb.

I already filed a complaint on www.tellgamestop.com Gonna call up corporate tommorrow and hopefully the manager gets fired, 3 of my friends have already had bad experiences with the SAME manager. 4th complaint on this manager to corporate.

[quote name='ebman2001']as a store manager of a gamestop/eb games i have to say this, listen im tired of hearing this crap, and ill spell it out for you guys right now so you have no more confusion of our policies.......ON NEW GAMES its 30 day return policy UNOPENED, 7 days to exchange it for the same game OPENED if defective.....the so called used persona that you speak of has never been played, simply put in an envelope or plastic jewel case (depending on the store), and put with the other "gutted" new games, hasn't been tampered with or missing any items....when we sell the last copy of a game we reverse the process, my store in particular will ask if you want it shrink wrapped or "stickered" shut to indicate its sealed for you in case its a gift.........if you want the game sealed up so badly then either A) reserve so its set off to the side for you or B) don't shop at my store cause honestly you people that think there hot shit and have to have there game sealed can go spend more money on your games and not get the gaming experience that we try to offer our customers

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/quote]

so basically its up to us to make sure employees follow the policy to put a sticker on it to seal it or rewrap it? i may have had that happen once or twice in all my years shopping there...

and in my expierence i have seen plenty of "gutted copies" that were new yet obviously used due to slight marks and smudges from careless people

[quote name='LINK1392']I understand that, but the manual is ripped and the disk has several fingerprints.

If you buy a new sealed game and the manual is ripped and the disk is all oily, would you get pissed? I know I should have checked before leaving but honestly what kind of shady business tactics are they pulling ? Its this kind of bullshit that makes me want to avoid gamestop and Eb.

I already filed a complaint on www.tellgamestop.com Gonna call up corporate tommorrow and hopefully the manager gets fired, 3 of my friends have already had bad experiences with the SAME manager. 4th complaint on this manager to corporate.[/quote]

:applause: :applause: good job, make sure to keep us posted

[quote name='ebman2001']
And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/quote]

So you do sell used games as new. Well, that explains a lot.

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/QUOTE]

You are selling opened, oftentimes used by employees games at a new price without even telling customers about it beforehand and you have the gall to be upset with the customer when he is upset that he didn't get what he paid for? Hello, if I am paying $59.99 for a game that is supposed to be new, fucking give me a new copy and not the employee rental. At the very least explain it to the customer so they understand. Honesty pays off. Do you think a customer that feels ripped off by your store will want to come back?

[quote name='LINK1392']I understand that, but the manual is ripped and the disk has several fingerprints.

I already filed a complaint on www.tellgamestop.com Gonna call up corporate tommorrow and hopefully the manager gets fired, 3 of my friends have already had bad experiences with the SAME manager. 4th complaint on this manager to corporate.[/quote]

No one is going to get fired over an opened game. And when the game is opened and placed on the wall sometimes people look thru the guides and some customer obviously ripped the manual. It happens and if its that big of a deal watch whats put in your bag instead of bragging on some website about how bad ass you are and going to get people fired.

And keep in mind a game is only new for roughly 5 seconds. The time it takes you too open the case and put it in your console. After that its a used game.

Gamestop Employee's opened the game, Gamestop Employee's played the game. Sounds used to me. Frankly it's amazing they can legally get away with it at all, in most other industries a corporation would be ostracized for selling an opened product as new, even if it's only sat on the shelf they still typically sell it as Open Box at a discount. Sorry Gamestop anyway you slice it gutted is used.

[quote name='macdude22']Gamestop Employee's opened the game, Gamestop Employee's played the game. Sounds used to me. Frankly it's amazing they can legally get away with it at all, in most other industries a corporation would be ostracized for selling an opened product as new, even if it's only sat on the shelf they still typically sell it as Open Box at a discount. Sorry Gamestop anyway you slice it gutted is used.[/quote]

amen

[quote name='THoward7382']No one is going to get fired over an opened game. And when the game is opened and placed on the wall sometimes people look thru the guides and some customer obviously ripped the manual. It happens and if its that big of a deal watch whats put in your bag instead of bragging on some website about how bad ass you are and going to get people fired.

And keep in mind a game is only new for roughly 5 seconds. The time it takes you too open the case and put it in your console. After that its a used game.[/QUOTE] Huh? Fired for an open game? The manager was a asshole with a shitty additude when I tried to return it. He then REFUSED to give me my money back.

You might want to read a little bit before opening that sewer you call a mouth.

Gutted games may not be used but they are definitely not NEW. So why charge a NEW price?

That is why I do not buy gutted games. Just check your purchases before you leave the store to ensure you get what you paid for.

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/QUOTE]

It's stupid attitudes like this.

DONT GUT THE fucking GAMES

DONT LEND THEM OUT

If it's opened- its Used. Period.

[quote name='THoward7382']No one is going to get fired over an opened game. And when the game is opened and placed on the wall sometimes people look thru the guides and some customer obviously ripped the manual. It happens and if its that big of a deal watch whats put in your bag instead of bragging on some website about how bad ass you are and going to get people fired.

And keep in mind a game is only new for roughly 5 seconds. The time it takes you too open the case and put it in your console. After that its a used game.[/quote]
Hilarious that gamestop/EB employees get mad at the customer for buying "used" or open if you prefer the term at new prices. If it's used, it's used (by employee or not). For instance, if I come to the store and ask to try out a game and you open a brand new copy and stick it into a system, I just "used" it right? Regardless of for how long I played it. This isn't a car dealership where you can take it for a test run and consider it new. I imagine if I go into Walmart and take the game home, open it, play it for a few minutes, get right back into the car and take it back for a refund, they wouldn't consider it new - would they?

Matter of fact, go and try it at Walmart and when they look at you funny for being stupid, explain the logic to them. Maybe then you will realize why we think Gamestop/EB and its policies suck!

And I have to agree, if your employee forgets to sticker the game with the "sealed yellow sticker" or reshrink wrap it, how is that my fault if I bought it? Gamestop/EB sucks, period along with their dumb ass managerial logic. Give the man his fucking refund!

[quote name='THoward7382']And keep in mind a game is only new for roughly 5 seconds. The time it takes you too open the case and put it in your console. After that its a used game.[/QUOTE]

Yet when you pay more for a new game, you expect that your copy will have that 5 seconds of "new-ness." If its a copy thats already opened, possible employee rental, why should one pay the full price of a new copy when it does not have the "new-ness"

I'm not anal about games. If there is a game I want to play I buy it and play it. I dont care that much if its been open or not. That said if a store sells both new and used games and I pay the new price, then I better get a sealed copy. Why do I need a sealed copy? Well its pretty simple.

1. I shouldn't have to take some severely underpaid persons word about the condition of the game. ...duh

2. If I brought in an open copy of a game and asked for an exchange/refund would it be honored, if I claimed it hasn't been played before?...no

3. Can I as a seller go to ebay and claim to sell something as new if it has been opened? Yeah.. but nobody is gonna believe it.

4. I'm not a game collector, but I know the value of anything opened whether used or not is less valuable.

Finally why do they even open games to start with? I understand them not wanting to put small, pocketable, expensive items on the shelf, but surely they can get cover art and blank dvd cases easily enough. Now don't tell me they can get exclusive collectors editions for nearly every big release, but they can't get permission to print coverart, cause I won't believe you.

I'm not anal about games. If there is a game I want to play I buy it and play it. I dont care that much if its been open or not. That said if a store sells both new and used games and I pay the new price, then I better get a sealed copy. Why do I need a sealed copy? Well its pretty simple.

1. I shouldn't have to take some severely underpaid persons word about the condition of the game. ...duh

2. If I brought in an open copy of a game and asked for an exchange/refund would it be honored, if I claimed it hasn't been played before?...no

3. Can I as a seller go to ebay and claim to sell something as new if it has been opened? Yeah.. but nobody is gonna believe it.

4. I'm not a game collector, but I know the value of anything opened whether used or not is less valuable.

Finally why do they even open games to start with? I understand them not wanting to put small, pocketable, expensive items on the shelf, but surely they can get cover art and blank dvd cases easily enough. Now don't tell me they can get exclusive collectors editions for nearly every big release, but they can't get permission to print coverart, cause I won't believe you.

[quote name='Link927']Yet when you pay more for a new game, you expect that your copy will have that 5 seconds of "new-ness." If its a copy thats already opened, possible employee rental, why should one pay the full price of a new copy when it does not have the "new-ness"[/quote]
dont forget the taco bell mild sauce fingerprints on it and the fucked up manual.

[quote name='ebman2001']...don't shop at my store cause honestly you people that think there hot shit and have to have there game sealed can go spend more money on your games and not get the gaming experience that we try to offer our customers

Sorry to be blunt but i had an asshole customer....

I so want some of that gaming experience that you offer your customers. Please buy my games for 1/50th of their original value and sell them for 90 percent of their original value, please call your customers assholes as much as possible, and be sure to make sure your workplace is conducted in as unprofessional a manner as possible by turning it into the employees personal blockbuster rental store. No wonder I can never find the classic RPGs the website says you have instock.. yet are magically never there. Oh yeah and I'm sorry to have to spend more money on my games... wait EB/GS isn't really competitive at all on their pricing on new merchandise. I guess theres a reason why Walmart/CC/BestBuy/Frys/Target/ect have much more net worth.

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted[/quote]Didn't you get the hint when you banned previously?

[quote name='ebman2001']don't shop at my store cause honestly you people that think there hot shit and have to have there game sealed can go spend more money on your games and not get the gaming experience that we try to offer our customers[/quote]
Where in the hell do you offer this wonderful gaming experience? Besides some exclusives you can't get anywhere else, many of your stores offer little in experience at all.

Just had a friend go into a gamestop and ask for a new HDMI 360 premium. The guy told him they haven't launched yet and he wouldn't find it in ANY store. Real informative. So, he drove down the street to Best Buy and low and behold, there they are sitting on the shelf. I bet his experience was terrific.

And the pricing at Gamestop is hardly ever competitive. MSRP is what Gamestop charges for games unless there are some old as games on sale. Is that what you would call competitive?

well tell me this........ if the game has been gutted and brand new, never played, WHY THE fuck ARE THERE SCRATCHES ON THE DISC?!??!

This is why I *search* for a sealed copy on a new game, I know they have it but the fuck tards are too lazy to go in the back and grab the sealed on. As soon as I request a sealed game, they say we don't have any sealed... so what they are saying is that ALL their system games in stock are OPENED?!?!?!

You're part of our problem with GS. Your idiot policies piss us off and many of us avoid your store like the Bubonic Plague. Oh, how I'd love to knock over your magazine rack.

[quote name='ebman2001']as a store manager of a gamestop/eb games i have to say this, listen im tired of hearing this crap[/QUOTE]

Well, welcome to CAG, and we're already tired of hearing your crap. Because, one one hand, you claim this:

the so called used persona that you speak of has never been played, simply put in an envelope or plastic jewel case (depending on the store), and put with the other "gutted" new games, hasn't been tampered with or missing any items

and then have the gall to admit this:

And ill admit, we offer a policy to "check out" games at our stores, but if the employee returns it in unsellable condition they are required to buy the game then and there or basically be terminatted

I honestly have no problems accepting a gutted copy from your store, as long as it is in perfect condition. However, the OP's was not. I would argue a torn manual and smudges on this disc constitute being "tampered" with, wouldn't you? :dunce: I don't give two shits what you think your check out policy entails. What the fuck do you consider a "sellable" new game to be? If an employee takes it home to play or you throw it in a kiosk, it's used. Sell it at the used price and shut the fuck up.

And welcome to my ignore list. It only took you a week! \\:D/

[quote name='shrike4242']Didn't you get the hint when you banned previously?[/QUOTE]

Owned! Go Shrike4242!!!!!

[quote name='THoward7382']And keep in mind a game is only new for roughly 5 seconds. The time it takes you too open the case and put it in your console. After that its a used game.[/quote]

Or the time it takes for one of Gamestop's employees to gut the game and throw it in the disc sleeve or envelope. You are correct.

*yawn*

But seriously, with the large stores more often stocking the (sort of) niche titles (namely, Atlus and NIS games) I see no reason to shop at GS/EB at all. I'll only go in as a last resort, and even then I'll ask specifically for a sealed copy. If they don't have one I'll just have to do without, because I refuse to support the practice.

For those of you living in communities where GS/EB are the only choice (assuming the internet is not an option)...well, I pity you.

OP: I see you live in Southern Cal. Many Gamestop/EB locations are run by idiots here. What location was that?

Also call corporate to get in contact with a DM.

this is y, i pray that my GCs around me dont close down....however, the GS near me is cool since i know the manager and sum employees...thats the only one though

Do you guys honestly think this will ever change? Gamestop makes money off of suckers all day. We should just have a permanent warning on our front page to warn people about gutted EB games. That way there's no more need for discussion or rants.

Let's make a civil law suit out of EB/GS or whatever you called it, you know when many people complaint and make one big case out of it ^__^;

Gamestop needs to stop opening new games. Period. End of discussion. Why does this still happen? Nobody else does this. Why do they? No excuses. They need to stop.

[quote name='magiic']it is the principle of the matter. If you pay for a sealed game you expect a sealed game. If you pay for an open/used game you expect an open/used game[/QUOTE]

Let's just be clear here. You pay for a "used" game, not an "open/used" game.

Like everyone else, this always got to me.
Toys R Us gets the display copies, why can't GS?
I rarely go to GS anymore anyways - most of the employees around here have holier-than-thou attitudes(there are a select few cool ones) and i rarely buy games retail - GS rarely has clearances.
I don't mind flipping rare used games though - they come in handy for that =]

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']OP: I see you live in Southern Cal. Many Gamestop/EB locations are run by idiots here.[/quote]

DesertEagleXIX is correct. Most of the GS/EB stores here are run by idiots.

However, this is the gazzillionth thread on this subject and CAGs should know better by now. The store manager who made the statement earlier that he had to deal with an "asshole customer" made me grind my teeth in anger. What a fuck ing jerk! This is one of the reasons I haven't shopped at GS/EB for many years now and never will again, because of the low opinion their employees have of customers, especially the un-informed soccer moms they take advantage of selling them crap for their kids that wouldn't move off the shelves. I used to overhear the pimple faced kids working at the stores snickering and laughing with each other when they sold shit to a customer or mis-informed them. Needless to say they have idiots running the stores, they sell shoddy and incomplete merchandise, and have questionable store policies.... selling gutted games as new, loaning games to employees, price gouging games.....I could go on and on.

I know there are many CAGs who swear by GS/EB, so all I can say is you have your opinion and I have mine.

I just wish more people would stop buying from them so that some day I could read a thread here about how GS/EB was going out of business.:D

fuck you Gamestop!

bread's done
Back