Gamestop selling Geforce video cards

Hahaha wut
GTX 460 is the only decently priced item of the lot (well maybe the GT220 is too but it's not good enough for playing IMO) from the looks of it, and you can still get it cheaper elsewhere but if you have credit it's not a bad way to spend it.

[quote name='spbusdriver']Now if only they would start selling tvs[/QUOTE]
Yeah, then they could change the name to Best Buy.

ZING!

i use to have a xfx 8600gt but it blew out somehow i think i accidently OC'ed it with a software. stupid me. You think a 250w PSU would be able to run this?

i watch movies and dont play games on a 32in TV (it has a vga port, but i could get a dvi to hdmi cable from monoprice)

Since the majority of PC games business is digital, I look at this as Gamestop is still trying to stay relevant by offering the supplies needed to play the games rather than the games itself.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Can't seem to get it to work with ACC40 anymore :(.[/QUOTE]
yeah, looks like they fixed it. i was gonna order that 470

Wish they had something in between the 220 and the 460...does anyone know how the 220 would handle today's games?

[quote name='jkam']Wish they had something in between the 220 and the 460...does anyone know how the 220 would handle today's games?[/QUOTE]Not that well, all told.

There are cards out there that are in the 400-series that are under the 460, though they're still on the way. 460 is a great bang-for-the-buck card.

I'm waiting out to see how the 6000-series Radeons compare to the 400-series NVidia cards for my SFF PC hooked up to my TV.

Newegg is a better option for some without GS credit to leverage:

Galaxy GTX 470 $300 ($270 after rebate) with free shipping and a free download of Mafia II.
There are several GTX 460 cards around $220 (as low as $190 after rebate) with free shipping.

[quote name='nnickers']And the deal here is..?[/QUOTE]

It's a heads up to the people who have a ton of GS credit to burn and might be in the video card market. Even if the prices are not great, saving a little bit of money elsewhere is kind of pointless if you already have $800 in GS credit sitting around.

[quote name='nnickers']And the deal here is..?[/QUOTE]

The deal is someplace, maybe you should go there and find it instead of just finding a thread to take a quick shit in and then leave.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44'] Even if the prices are not great[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, GS is cheaper than Newegg, at least on that 460. Newegg lists it for $239 before rebate, while GS has it for $229. :whistle2:o

Yes, it's better to shop around unless you have massive GS credit to burn, but if they can beat Newegg they are definitely worth watching.

[quote name='Zippon']Strangely enough, GS is cheaper than Newegg, at least on that 460. Newegg lists it for $239 before rebate, while GS has it for $229. :whistle2:o

Yes, it's better to shop around unless you have massive GS credit to burn, but if they can beat Newegg they are definitely worth watching.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't even look at the prices. Just assumed that GS would obviously be higher. The fact that they are competitive with Newegg makes this an even more attractive "deal" for anyone with credit to burn.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']they also sell this: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84136[/QUOTE]

It's not out till September 14th though!! I need to see if I can pre-order it still. :lol: I just wish they would sell Blu-Rays for cheap like they use to do with the movies.

[quote name='gargus']The deal is someplace, maybe you should go there and find it instead of just finding a thread to take a quick shit in and then leave.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Too many people doing this lately.

[quote name='imjpwutup']i use to have a xfx 8600gt but it blew out somehow i think i accidently OC'ed it with a software. stupid me. You think a 250w PSU would be able to run this?

i watch movies and dont play games on a 32in TV (it has a vga port, but i could get a dvi to hdmi cable from monoprice)[/QUOTE]

with that psu, if you're lucky, you can run the 220, probably can the 8400gs, if the rest of your parts don't hog too much power, you'll be fine, if you're not, good luck with gamestop's return policy lol
VGA is just as good as DVI dudeeee, and neither DVI or VGA does audio, using a converter to get hdmi won't give you audio, so unless you got a hdmi port and are gonna buy an hdmi cable, you're better off sticking with VGA, which goes up to 2048x1536, yea 1536p, higher than your tv supports

Word of warning to all CAGs.

That $20 difference is not something you want to get cheap over for your graphics card (and IMO, your motherboard) purchase. For $20 more you can buy a more reputable brand. This "Galaxy" brand is considered to be on the bottom rung of computer components (right down there with PNY, Sparkle, and Palit). You want to go with good brand names like EVGA, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc. These cards are slightly cheaper for a reason.

I remember the first time I saw Gamestop selling refurb gaming laptops. I laughed. I did. "What does Gamestop know about gaming on PC's? They've done everything in their power to kill it."

I suspect they joined the "PC Gaming Must Die" Coalition that includes the founding members of Microsoft, Epic, Gamestop, Bungie, and two secret partners whose names are shrouded in blue mysteries (Intel and Best Buy). Those who joined at a later date (than its founding) include Treyarch, Infinity Ward (until they imploded, no one is sure where their loyalty lies now), Remedy, Rockstar Games, and Chair Entertainment (makers of Shadow Complex).

So I don't think I could buy a video card from GS. I'll stick to GS for buying used games for consoles, undermining the precious sales numbers of console titles that led so many developers and publishers to the brink of giving up support of PC gaming. Let them suffer.

Even now as they come crawling back to PC gaming, realizing their mistake, I think they need suffer more for what they almost made happen.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I remember the first time I saw Gamestop selling refurb gaming laptops. I laughed. I did. [/QUOTE]
Gamestop sells laptops? Cool!

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I remember the first time I saw Gamestop selling refurb gaming laptops. I laughed. I did. "What does Gamestop know about gaming on PC's? They've done everything in their power to kill it."

I suspect they joined the "PC Gaming Must Die" Coalition that includes the founding members of Microsoft, Epic, Gamestop, Bungie, and two secret partners whose names are shrouded in blue mysteries (Intel and Best Buy). Those who joined at a later date (than its founding) include Treyarch, Infinity Ward (until they imploded, no one is sure where their loyalty lies now), Remedy, Rockstar Games, and Chair Entertainment (makers of Shadow Complex).

So I don't think I could buy a video card from GS. I'll stick to GS for buying used games for consoles, undermining the precious sales numbers of console titles that led so many developers and publishers to the brink of giving up support of PC gaming. Let them suffer.

Even now as they come crawling back to PC gaming, realizing their mistake, I think they need suffer more for what they almost made happen.[/QUOTE]

I thought this post was deadly serious until I saw Intel listed in the PC Gaming Must Die club.

Even now, I'm still not 100% sure.

I've heard bad things about Galaxy and how they handle rebates... just a word of warning...

also they don't have a lifetime warranty like EVGA and XFX (it's only 2 years)

Never heard of a "PC Gaming Must Die" club. I have heard of the opposite that several huge corporations have joined together to try to revive PC Gaming.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Yes, see Games For Windows Live.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget what they have done with DirectX over the past few years.

Why the hell would they do this? I haven't seen a damn PC game in my Gamestop in months. Who would buy a video card from them over a Fry's or Best Buy if you want to go B&M. Trust me, they will go clearance when someone realizes, Newegg has better deal. Maybe I'll get one then.

That's cool, I haven't seen it forever either. Don't know anything about Galaxy though. If I hadn't had to switch to a notebook, this would be awesome for me.

[quote name='Keirnoth']Word of warning to all CAGs.

That $20 difference is not something you want to get cheap over for your graphics card (and IMO, your motherboard) purchase. For $20 more you can buy a more reputable brand. This "Galaxy" brand is considered to be on the bottom rung of computer components (right down there with PNY, Sparkle, and Palit). You want to go with good brand names like EVGA, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc. These cards are slightly cheaper for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Companies have to start somewhere. Its only been recently that ASUS has been recognized as a top competitor in the computer hardware market, 10 years ago you wouldnt bat an eye at their products

ASUS has been tops for a long time and not just recently. Though I agree that companies do have to start somewhere and even ones that have been around might not be here the next year. BFG used to be one of the top dogs and now they're out of business. Here today, gone tomorrow.

BFG went out of business?!? I didn't know that. I guess eVGA is the American brand then (and I guess Crucial when they occasionally release GPUs)

I've got a pair of Palit Sonic Platinum GTX 460 1GB cards in my rig and they're monsters. OCed over stock out of the box, they easily crank up another 150 MHz and I'm playing all my games at 1920x1200 with everything cranked up full blast in the eye candy department and they get about 100 fps in games like DiRT 2 and Far Cry 2. I've also hacked Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to use Hardware Rendering for its Mercury Engine. (Just takes a line added to a text file.) It's nice to be able to play everything at its best visual quality, albeit at a price tag approaching two grand.

[quote name='Thongsy']ASUS has been tops for a long time and not just recently. Though I agree that companies do have to start somewhere and even ones that have been around might not be here the next year. BFG used to be one of the top dogs and now they're out of business. Here today, gone tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

^This, I remember building systems with their mainboards over a decade ago.
I think the BFG thing happened back in May of this year if I'm not mistaken?
Exactly, 3dfx being gobbled up by Nvidia, and Diamond being bought by Best Data back in 2003 as other examples.

What killed 3Dfx - other than refusing to evolve and actually choosing to resist progress ("Who needs 32-bit color? What games user hardware T&L? Who needs large texture support") - is that they decided to go vertical in their production and make their own cards instead of supplying chips. So they bought STB and proceeded to go down in flames as the Voodoo 3 line was beaten by the nVidia TNT2 and the quality they got from their Mexican plant wasn't comparable to what nVidia was getting from Asian production facilities.

I remember having a Voodoo 1 and 2 cards which required image-degrading video pass-thru cables and a 2D card in the box as well. I also remember when a friend got his Voodoo 1 and saw Quake 2 for the first time in OpenGL as he fired a hyperblaster across a dark area and saw the yellow glow on the crates and walls. We've come a mighty long way.

I think it's really hard for these companies to survive one "bad" product generation. I mean it's inevitable that every company is going to have generations that for one reason or another aren't as competitive, for a variety of reasons.

The Voodoo 4/5 were a misstep for 3DFX I think, and one they never recovered from. The Geforce 1 was just a more compelling product. What stinks is ATi and S3, etc., had even LESS compelling products, but survived because they were bigger.

Some other examples:
Nvidia had the Geforce 5 series that wasn't as competitive-in that case it was mostly because of Microsoft. Microsoft was angry that Nvidia wouldn't change their Xbox contract after the fact (why would they? Why would they expect them to?) and punished them by working with ATi and hiding the SM 2.0 spec from them until it was way too late. Nvidia's hardware was actually more programmable and designed around the OpenGL spec...which was obviously the logical thing to do, but Microsoft/ATi designed things with 24-bit precision in mind, giving ATi hardware a huge advantage over Nvidia's that did 32-bit.

Intel's Pentium 4 is another example, although they're so powerful they were able to beat the P4 into a solidly competitive chip, and change direction (in some ways, go back to what they had been doing).

It's just a shame when a product cycle or two is enough to kill a company.

Anyone else have a Rendition Verite card? Pretty awesome for the time, though the API was only briefly supported. Tomb Raider and Quake both supported it I think, and looked AMAZING. I kind of want to say it had hardware T&L, way before anything else-it was programmable...maybe.

And GL Quake...oh man, that just changed everything. Yeah, I've got a Voodoo 1 in my basement. Same box now as a TNT1 :whistle2:D

I really liked the TNT1-I've liked Nvidia ever since that, as it just worked, and a few weeks after release the drivers were rock solid and pretty much have been since. Upgraded all the way to a Geforce 2 though for Deus Ex (and seems like really quickly to a Geforce 4...the Geforce 4 lasted probably 5 years for me, but the 2 didn't seem to last very long).

bread's done
Back