Gamestop: The Dark Spire $9.99 New, $8.99 Used - B&M

Damn that's a great price for a niche game, not all will love it, but those that do will REALLY enjoy it. A steal for that price and one of my fav DS games of the past year.

Now if only they'd do a Dark Tower board game translation like this, I'd b in heaven.

That price is nice, but I have to decide if I want to go for the cheap used or find a new one with the music CD. I like to collect the games with music CDs.

[quote name='erehwon']That price is nice, but I have to decide if I want to go for the cheap used or find a new one with the music CD. I like to collect the games with music CDs.[/QUOTE]

If you like them, get it new. It's only $10 new on the website, so it might be worth it to look for.

[quote name='erehwon']That price is nice, but I have to decide if I want to go for the cheap used or find a new one with the music CD. I like to collect the games with music CDs.[/QUOTE]

get a new copy, its not much more than a used copy (no matter if you do the B2G1 or 20% and card). And I've never seen the game without the cd

If you like them, get it new. It's only $10 new on the website, so it might be worth it to look for.

[quote name='erehwon']Thanks. I hadn't seen that it had been updated. I need to see if any other good altus games dropped down.[/QUOTE]

Only other alright Atlus drop that I saw was Trackmania. Thats about it.

Went to the mall across the street from the office and picked up the two new copies they had, the sealed one for me and the 'gutted' complete and mint one for my friend.

There are TONS of new copies all over LA...man, my city does NOT appreciate quality first person dungeon crawlers!!! Tragic. I feel sorry for you guys that don't have any copies within 50 miles or even 100.

I picked up a new copy half an hour ago. Thanks. I couldn't pass on that price. It would be nice if more PSP atlus games would drop too.

I picked up 2 sealed copied at Noland Road (Independence, MO). Still have 1 gutted copy left but they didn't sell it to me. Limit 2 copies. Also, Track Mania is dropped down $9.99 as well :) I have a good feeling this game will be rare very soon :) lol

[quote name='Masterkyo']I picked up 2 sealed copied at Noland Road (Independence, MO). Still have 1 gutted copy left but they didn't sell it to me. Limit 2 copies. Also, Track Mania is dropped down $9.99 as well :) I have a good feeling this game will be rare very soon :) lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I picked up Trackmania too. Some nice pickups for me on top of the B2G1. Its a good day ^___^

lol... Trackmania is even in Wal-Mart B&M stores (atleast mine) and sold like crap. I doubt it will be "rare", plus you have to remember all the counterfeit DS and GBA games on eBay. Luckily with The Dark Spire theres the bonus CD in pretty much every copy I've seen, and that should at least give some validity to dark spire copies.

Hmmm now that the new copies are down to $9.99 I might consider picking this game up (since there aren't any used ones nearby)... I'm not the hugest fan of the genre but I really like the art style.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']lol... Trackmania is even in Wal-Mart B&M stores (atleast mine) and sold like crap. I doubt it will be "rare", plus you have to remember all the counterfeit DS and GBA games on eBay. Luckily with The Dark Spire theres the bonus CD in pretty much every copy I've seen, and that should at least give some validity to dark spire copies.[/QUOTE]

it probably wont be rare, but the reviews were pretty solid, and my walmart has it for $15, so at least this is still $5 cheaper than walmart.

I managed to get a factory sealed copy and it was the collectors edition with the CD. There are a couple more left at the stores near me so this isn't something that GS is short on at least here, but I could not resist for just 9.99. This should be the same for all copies, I don't know if they released a game-only edition.

There are far more new copies around me than used, probably a sign of a game selling awfully. Not enough people to even trade it back in!

They had three or four new copies at my store, I believe, including the gutted one. Nearest used one is a half hour away.

[quote name='botticus']There are far more new copies around me than used, probably a sign of a game selling awfully. Not enough people to even trade it back in!

They had three or four new copies at my store, I believe, including the gutted one. Nearest used one is a half hour away.[/QUOTE]

This happens more than you think with not so popular titles. Your average Mario game will sell and trade like hotcakes but the market is so flooded with virtually unknown games that people just don't buy up every title. This is good though because if you want something that is relatively unknown to play for yourself you can usually get a very good price and have an easy time finding a copy if you are willing to wait for the price drops.

Looked like only one copy at the Gamestop by me. Picked it up, though it was gutted, the music cd was still sealed.

It seems like Atlus is just over shooting the DS market. About half of their games dropped in price rather quickly.

My World My Way $20 ($10 drop in several months)
Trackmania (Bargain bin within months.)
Darkspire (Dropped like a rock, as seen here)
Dokapon Journey (Seen on clearance at multiple BB's)
101 Megamix ($15 on Amazon)

Tokyo Beat Down (retained It's value from what seems like just a very small product in general)
Steal Princess (Hasn't dropped... yet.)
Legacy of Y's (Has somehow retained It's value despite being readily available!)
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (Will drop soon. I know it.)
Knights in the Nightmare (Perhaps Atlus learned on this one? Low production, harder to find.)

I'm guessing Legacy of Y's and Super Robot will be next on the drop list. Steal Princess I have no idea, and Knights in the Nightmare might actually be hard to find in the long run along with TBD.

They did a better job (or worst depending on how you look at it!) with the PSP - Crimson Gem Saga and Class of Heroes were both on backorder the first few weeks they were released on Amazon, and I never seen either in a Gamestop B&M. Let's see how they fair with Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament and Persona (I'm assuming pretty well considering It's their best selling RPG).

Don't get me wrong. I love Atlus and realize they are a small company that please a lot of us over here, but they need to either publish less for the DS in terms of titles or just make all their games hard to find rather then having their titles drop so fast because no one is buying them.

I saw it today, no one's buying it. There's a lot of copies left, and the manager said they're probably going to try to clearance it soon at the store since they haven't moved at all.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
My World My Way $20 ($10 drop in several months)
Tokyo Beat Down (retained It's value from what seems like just a very small product in general)
Steal Princess (Hasn't dropped... yet.)

[/QUOTE]

My World My way is very hard to find.

Tokyo Beat I think is similar... hardly anyone carrying it...

and GAMESTOP doesn't even know what Steal Princess is, it's not on their website.... weird.

I know I picked up Dark Spire cheap from amazon, but for this price, everyone is crazy not to pick up one.

There are many copies of My World My Way here, I am waiting for it to drop in price more before I bite. I also want that YS game and Super Robot, I would even buy YS at 19.99 and Super Robot would probably have to drop more than that before I buy it. Basically no one in my area buys RPG games, but the latest madden and halo's are always hot sellers. So I usually have an abnormally high stock of RPG's here, the only way they seem to sell is if the employees who work for the game store buy the games.

I wouldn't expect Dark Spire to drop past $10, very few games make it past the $10 mark for brand new copies.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
Don't get me wrong. I love Atlus and realize they are a small company that please a lot of us over here, but they need to either publish less for the DS in terms of titles or just make all their games hard to find rather then having their titles drop so fast because no one is buying them.[/QUOTE]

They do that and the Atlus faithfuls moan about re-releasing Etrian Odyssey (30,000 copies produced).

Nabbed a "new" copy earlier this evening...unfortunately, it was the outer box from the shelf (with price stickers on the upper-right corner..... ugh), and the contents of the game were in an empty paper disc sleeve behind the counter. The game case did not have a plastic wrap on it, and the music CD had also been previously opened.

I know I probably shouldn't complain too much about a good new-ish game for $10, but... ... ... why...must...they...DO...this???

For the first time I ever I felt like a hoarder.
I bought all 3 copies (one gutted, the other two sealed) of The Dark Spire at the Meriden, CT Gamestop.
Software etc. didn't have any.

I got one for me, and two for my other friends.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']For the first time I ever I felt like a hoarder.
I bought all 3 copies (one gutted, the other two sealed) of The Dark Spire at the Meriden, CT Gamestop.
Software etc. didn't have any.

I got one for me, and two for my other friends.[/QUOTE]

Well as long as the other two copies went to friends and not being flipped somewhere, its not too bad of a hoard. I absolve you of your hoarding ways. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Picked me up a copy today for 9.99. Hope its a good game. I loved Wizardry growing up so this should fit the bill :)

My girlfriend actually spotted this new at Gamestop for $10, complete with cd! Haven't played it yet, but it looks rather interesting!

[quote name='ghostmedicine']Nabbed a "new" copy earlier this evening...unfortunately, it was the outer box from the shelf (with price stickers on the upper-right corner..... ugh), and the contents of the game were in an empty paper disc sleeve behind the counter. The game case did not have a plastic wrap on it, and the music CD had also been previously opened.

I know I probably shouldn't complain too much about a good new-ish game for $10, but... ... ... why...must...they...DO...this???[/QUOTE]

Because you still bought it. If it was a problem then you should have walked away from the deal and let them know. People all over the internet wonder this but you still buy. I even do it sometimes when its a great deal. If no one bought the game with this silly shit going on then they would stop doing it.

I'll be checkin for new copies at a couple stores by me. If they have them I will pick up for other cags that want this game.

I requested a sealed copy of the game and was happy to hear the store had one. I unfortunately wasn't paying enough attention when I bought it. After I got home, I found out that it wasn't even shrink wrapped and had a price sticker, so it obviously had been gutted. This copy is going to be exchanged/returned..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had pretty good luck with the gamestops around my area. A couple of my friends picked up gut copies, but they had everything with it since they only put the outter cardboard box on the floor to display and the game and soundtrack both stayed sealed and stored away. But every store is different. Sorry to hear the bad luck everyone is getting with this :*(

[quote name='KingofGames']Isn't there a FriendofSonic here at CAG? I just pended out a copy of this game on Goozex to a user by that name.[/QUOTE]

We definitely have a FriendofSonic here. He runs the target clearance thread. Theres a good chance they are the same people. And I think FriendofSonic even posted in this thread before. So he probably snagged a couple of copies. But could just be pure coincidence ;P

[quote name='Squarehard']

We definitely have a FriendofSonic here. He runs the target clearance thread. Theres a good chance they are the same people. And I think FriendofSonic even posted in this thread before. So he probably snagged a couple of copies. But could just be pure coincidence ;P[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I PMed him. Basically I got a used copy with soundtrack, and noticed they had a copy with case and manual, and then a cart only copy. I couldn't find anything else for B2G1 free, so I got the cart only copy figuring a friend of mine may want to "Check it" That was not the case, so I thought flipping it on Goozex would make sense. Turns out I hit "want" instead of "have" so I got matched up. I'm hoping he'll back out of the deal as I've requested, but I don't expect him to, nor would I hold it against him. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope some of that Atlus magic comes through in making the game's value a little bit higher in the future.

But anyway, I digress. Point of the post, in this thread anyway, was I got a used one with the soundtrack! Whoo!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I PMed him. Basically I got a used copy with soundtrack, and noticed they had a copy with case and manual, and then a cart only copy. I couldn't find anything else for B2G1 free, so I got the cart only copy figuring a friend of mine may want to "Check it" That was not the case, so I thought flipping it on Goozex would make sense. Turns out I hit "want" instead of "have" so I got matched up. I'm hoping he'll back out of the deal as I've requested, but I don't expect him to, nor would I hold it against him. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope some of that Atlus magic comes through in making the game's value a little bit higher in the future.

But anyway, I digress. Point of the post, in this thread anyway, was I got a used one with the soundtrack! Whoo![/QUOTE]

To find a used one with the soundtrack and B2G1. You definitely made out :D

[quote name='bruceg']I requested a sealed copy of the game and was happy to hear the store had one. I unfortunately wasn't paying enough attention when I bought it. After I got home, I found out that it wasn't even shrink wrapped and had a price sticker, so it obviously had been gutted. This copy is going to be exchanged/returned..[/QUOTE]
Atlus' recent premium boxed DS games are not shrinkwrapped but factory sealed with round transparent stickers like those that are used on some software retail packages. The DS game inside the premium box is factory sealed like regular DS games as well. The soundtrack CD (in a sleeve) is not sealed IIRC.

I'm sure by now everyone knows what the new copy comes with, but just be aware of the usual Gamestop "we don't really know a lot about the niche games we sell" knowledge... one GS here tried to sell me just the game itself as a new copy, no outer box, no CD, nothing else.

When I asked about the CD and Outer Box, I was told that it's just the game and those were "preorder bonuses, probably". The game even looked reshrinkwrapped, to be honest, and I had to ask for it by name since they had no shelf copy.

I went across the street to another GS and just picked it up, the way it should be, new and sealed with the proper items. Just a heads up to everyone when they buy it to double check what they are getting.

bread's done
Back