GameStop Trade & Promos XXVII: Values available on the website and on Android/iOS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
WELCOME TO THE NEW GAMESTOP TRADE-IN THREAD.

The new thread format will be a work in progress but this first post will be the promos that are active and useful information, but also wikified. The second post will currently be frequently asked questions but may move it into the first post. Post three will be historical trade-in values from before the list.

Trade-in Values Available at: http://www.gamestop.com/trade

Also on GameStop app on iOS and Android

Upcoming Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Guaranteed $30/$40 on select games (Varying End Dates)

GameStop.com said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I was the only who had the opinion about 14th st. manager - didnt know his name.... (he was the mgr at the now-closed location on 14th st in front of walgreens)
Yea I've seen him for years. 1 day he looked through my purchase history when I was doing a boomerang trade in and noticed I had bought said game a few days prior to flipping it back and he denied me the trade so since then I know not to deal with him when doing those kinds of transactions.

My experience with these and my son's 2DS is they will not honor it unless it is a natural component failure. Anything that happens because of human error is not covered and renders the warranty useless. However they will tell you otherwise just to get you to buy it and boost their numbers (which they did to me when I got my son his 2DS)
GS Warranty covers everything but lost or stolen. If they refuse it contact a DM.

Yea I've seen him for years. 1 day he looked through my purchase history when I was doing a boomerang trade in and noticed I had bought said game a few days prior to flipping it back and he denied me the trade so since then I know not to deal with him when doing those kinds of transactions.
Wow. I literally bought 12 games with buy two get one free from renewing my membership, and immediately drove over and sold them to another gamestop. Didn't even wait a couple days. I was honestly surprised no one said anything. Glad I didn't get that manager. Sorry you have to deal with man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk at my local GS about the Switch when I went to trade in some things to at least get enough for one when they're available.  He said that online Switch bundles won't ship until around April 15th.  Is that true?  That's kind of a long wait and they seemed pretty in the dark on when they'll get new stock in store.

Wow. I literally bought 12 games with buy two get one free from renewing my membership, and immediately drove over and sold them to another gamestop. Didn't even wait a couple days. I was honestly surprised no one said anything. Glad I didn't get that manager. Sorry you have to deal with man

Past transactions won't show up on the POS until the day after iirc

I'm lucky they have plenty of Gamestops in the boroughs and don't have to go far to find 1.

My experience with these and my son's 2DS is they will not honor it unless it is a natural component failure. Anything that happens because of human error is not covered and renders the warranty useless. However they will tell you otherwise just to get you to buy it and boost their numbers (which they did to me when I got my son his 2DS)
I got it in my head that I should probably get the warranty, but I was a bit torn and wasn't sure whether to get it or not, so I'm sure the employee saw that and gave me that little nudge to push me over the edge. Told me that they had experience overheating, and that if they could they would have bought the extended warranty. I didn't think anything of the 30 day policy they have on new systems and was like "Oh okay, yeah I'll definitely get the warranty". :wall:

I got it in my head that I should probably get the warranty, but I was a bit torn and wasn't sure whether to get it or not, so I'm sure the employee saw that and gave me that little nudge to push me over the edge. Told me that they had experience overheating, and that if they could they would have bought the extended warranty. I didn't think anything of the 30 day policy they have on new systems and was like "Oh okay, yeah I'll definitely get the warranty". :wall:
Extended/extra warranties are a scam. Pretty much always.

You can usually cancel them though. Try going in and getting your money back.

The thing I hate about the GS one is that it's a one year warranty from date of purchase, which the manufacturer already supplies. It's not even an extended warranty where they cover the year after the manufacturers warranty has expired which might be useful for a few percentage of people. They are charging you for something you already have and the convenience of exchanging with them instead of dealing with the manufacturer.

I like to make the employee say it out loud so they can hear themselves speak truth instead of BS.

Also a lot of credit cards actually have consumer protections included like extended warranty, price protection and others that cover all kinds of random stuff. Read those little pamphlets they send you!

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk at my local GS about the Switch when I went to trade in some things to at least get enough for one when they're available. He said that online Switch bundles won't ship until around April 15th. Is that true? That's kind of a long wait and they seemed pretty in the dark on when they'll get new stock in store.
Mine was already shipped with eta of the 9th.

Free economic shipping of course.

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk at my local GS about the Switch when I went to trade in some things to at least get enough for one when they're available. He said that online Switch bundles won't ship until around April 15th. Is that true? That's kind of a long wait and they seemed pretty in the dark on when they'll get new stock in store.
The bundle I bought(Switch,Zelda game, and pro controller) shipped Friday afternoon according to the tracking it should get to my house on Tuesday.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

GS Warranty covers everything but lost or stolen. If they refuse it contact a DM.
Thanks for the clarification, this is the first time I have ever purchased a system warranty. And everyone was saying how incompetent and how the employees would say anything to get you to buy a warranty. Glad this isn't the time that GS pulled one over on me :)

Thanks for the clarification, this is the first time I have ever purchased a system warranty. And everyone was saying how incompetent and how the employees would say anything to get you to buy a warranty. Glad this isn't the time that GS pulled one over on me :)
I think a few years ago they went that good but about 2 years ago they expanded the warranty to cover any and all damage.Breaks, drops, cracks, water, etc. Doesn't matter. You say its not working and they are suppose to give you another system.

You do get a one year manufacture warranty on new systems but they honestly don't cover much. Just manufacture defects.

I think a few years ago they went that good but about 2 years ago they expanded the warranty to cover any and all damage.Breaks, drops, cracks, water, etc. Doesn't matter. You say its not working and they are suppose to give you another system.

You do get a one year manufacture warranty on new systems but they honestly don't cover much. Just manufacture defects.
Interesting. I overheard the manager at my store saying it doesn't cover if you did something like snap it in half or things like severe water damage. And that could actually lose a warranty sale by saying there are exceptions it doesn't cover.

Hmm, if the GS warranty covers damage from drops and accidental damage, it might actually be worth it for the Switch. I could see me dropping this thing a couple of times.

Interesting. I overheard the manager at my store saying it doesn't cover if you did something like snap it in half or things like severe water damage. And that could actually lose a warranty sale by saying there are exceptions it doesn't cover.
There's differences between accidental damage and malicious damage. Snapping in half isn't an accident, as there's no way that could happen accidentally. Screen breakage, that could happen by both smashing it with something as well as dropping it.

If it's something that happens accidentally, it'll be covered. Something you do intentionally, nope.

Are there any good flips from the Target Buy 2 get one free?
The consensus in the Target weekly thread is "no" at the moment. Target's store prices are currently higher than most Best Buy with GCU offerings and few of their clearance titles are games that are in demand (most of them are old sports titles or last-gen fodder). The big talk was whether or not people could find copies of Breath of the Wild for Wii U to buy as part of their buy 2, get 1 free. I personally walked around in Target for an hour this morning looking up games on the GameStop app to see if anything was worth buying to flip and left the store with nothing.

I work at GameStop and to my understanding the PRP(Product Replacement Plan) does not cover accidental damage. We used to carry a accidental damage one a long time ago that covered accidental damage for ipods, iPads, phones, ECT.

I haven't really looked into the PRP terms so I can't really say no for a fact, I could be terribly mistaken and lost too many sales on the PRP, since a lot of people don't get it as soon as I mention no accidental damage.

FYI for anyone investing in Pokemon Sun and Moon for flips. Both have increased from just under 6,000 units a couple weeks ago to about 7,500 for Sun and 7,700 for moon. At that rate they may hit over 10,000 units in another month and I doubt they will get too much of a future boost from where they are at now or even the base TIV might slip a few dollars. 

I work at GameStop and to my understanding the PRP(Product Replacement Plan) does not cover accidental damage. We used to carry a accidental damage one a long time ago that covered accidental damage for ipods, iPads, phones, ECT.
I haven't really looked into the PRP terms so I can't really say no for a fact, I could be terribly mistaken and lost too many sales on the PRP, since a lot of people don't get it as soon as I mention no accidental damage.
What's the point of that PRP.... if a game gets damaged, why doesn't someone just go buy a used copy from GameStop and swap it, then return the damaged game as the used one for a refund.

What's the point of that PRP.... if a game gets damaged, why doesn't someone just go buy a used copy from GameStop and swap it, then return the damaged game as the used one for a refund.
Um...Because thats a really dishonest shitty thing to do?

There's differences between accidental damage and malicious damage. Snapping in half isn't an accident, as there's no way that could happen accidentally. Screen breakage, that could happen by both smashing it with something as well as dropping it.

If it's something that happens accidentally, it'll be covered. Something you do intentionally, nope.
That's funny, because all the folks at our one local store say that you CAN get it replaced if you "snap it in half, your dog bites it, any thing really." They say that any time they are selling it to someone. I would say that 90% of the time people add it to their games.

There seems to be misunderstanding of the 2 types of warranty offered by GameStop on the products they offer.

PRP (Product Replacement Plan) is for consoles, electronic devices in general.

GPG (Game Protection Guarantee) is for games.

The GPG did not use to protect against accidental damage, but since last holiday season, they decided to start protecting accidental damage, scratches, etc.

The PRP's purpose is to protect in case your system decides to fail for whatever reason that is not due to accidental damage, everything except cosmetic damage.

Things like:
-Not turning on
-Not reading games
-Not connecting online
-Buttons not responding
-Screen not turning on or screen not responding (if applicable)

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Yes that's how I interpreted it too. But the way Deader2818 stated it made it sound like it "covers any and all damage" as was quoted. He didn't really distinguish it as accidental damage only because that changes everything. Accidental damage is usually fairly minor, but if somehow there was some big accidental damage that resembles what you term malicious damage, how could one interpret that? Any and all damage to me means any and all damage. It doesn't matter what happens. The fact is, it is damaged. That's really where I was getting at.

Some crazy, but actually possible scenarios:

Maybe we are playing during a work break where we cut steel for a living and someone left it out on a work table and it got cut in half with a saw. Or what about an angry ex that destroys it? Maybe it got dropped from really high up (say the top floor of a multi-story mall) and somehow it shattered into quite a few pieces. Also what about the severe water damage scenario as I also mentioned? I'm playing at a party and it got bumped into a swimming pool due to too many drinks when playing 1-2 switch. Those are technically all accidents except maybe the ex scenario, but all look like malicious damage to me if I was the employee/manager.

I'm not saying it would be smart to bring the system into those scenarios in the first place, which is why I wouldn't purchase the warranty anyways since I'm careful with my stuff. But for others that are worried about what it exactly covers, some people would like that peace of mind to know if it really does cover everything as stated, or just some minor accidental damage as I originally thought the warranty would cover. I've seen some pretty badly damaged devices before that were accidentally damaged, but would not be covered in an accidental scenario (not the switch of course, but other devices), so that's the reason I even brought this up.

Here's the T&C for the GS PRP:

https://m.gamestop.com/gs/help/images/OnlinePRP.pdf

It's backed by Asurion, which is a company that does numerous extended warranty plans and one I've dealt with.

Here's the "we don't cover" legalese (sorry for the ALL CAPS, that's how it is in the above PDF file):

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: (1) INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
ANY DELAY IN RENDERING SERVICE UNDER THIS PLAN, FOR LOSS OF DATA, OR FOR LOSS OF USE DURING
THE PERIOD THAT THE PRODUCT IS AT A REPAIR CENTER OR OTHERWISE AWAITING PARTS; (2) ANY AND ALL
PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS THAT OCCUR PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS PLAN; (3) DAMAGE FROM
ACCIDENT, ABUSE, MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED
PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS; (4) FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S
INSTRUCTIONS; (5) THIRD PARTY ACTIONS (FIRE, COLLISION, VANDALISM, THEFT, ETC.); (6) THE ELEMENTS OR
ACTS OF GOD; (7) WAR, INVASION OR ACT OF FOREIGN ENEMY, HOSTILITIES, CIVIL WAR, REBELLION, RIOT,
STRIKE, LABOR DISTURBANCE, LOCKOUT OR CIVIL COMMOTION; (8) DAMAGE CAUSED BY DEFECTIVE
BATTERIES OR REPLACEMENT OF DEFECTIVE BATTERIES, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF DAMAGE MANIFESTING
FROM POWER SURGES; (9) DAMAGE COVERED BY ANY OTHER WARRANTY OR SERVICE PLAN; (10)
PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE; (11) DAMAGE WHICH IS NOT REPORTED WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER
EXPIRATION OF THIS PLAN; (12) PERIODIC CHECKUPS AND/OR MAINTENANCE AS DIRECTED BY THE
MANUFACTURER; (13) ANY LOSS OTHER THAN A COVERED BREAKDOWN OF THE PRODUCT; (14) PRODUCTS
NOT ORIGINALLY COVERED BY A MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY OR RETAILERS STORE RETURN POLICY; (15)
NON-FUNCTIONAL OR AESTHETIC PARTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PLASTIC PARTS OR KNOBS; (16)
UNAUTHORIZED REPAIRS AND/OR PARTS; (17) PARTS FAILURE DUE TO A MANUFACTURER RECALL
REGARDLESS OF THE MANUFACTURER’S ABILITY TO PAY FOR SUCH FAILURES; (18) ACCESSORIES USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED PRODUCT; (19) DAMAGE, WARPING OR RUSTING OF ANY KIND TO THE
HOUSING, CASE OR FRAME OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY NON-OPERATING PART; (20) PARTS NORMALLY
DESIGNATED TO BE REPLACED PERIODICALLY BY YOU OR CONSUMED DURING THE LIFE OF THE PRODUCT
(I.E., BATTERIES, VIDEO CASSETTES, DVDS AND COMPACT DISCS, ETC.); (21) DAMAGE INCURRED DURING
TRANSPORTATION; (22) LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE FAILURE TO PROVIDE MANUFACTURER’S
RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE; (23) IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS OR PERIPHERALS; (24) ANY
DAMAGE CAUSED BY A COMPUTER VIRUS; ((25) PRODUCTS WITH REMOVED OR ALTERED SERIAL NUMBERS;
(26) ALL COMPUTER SOFTWARE, INCLUDING CUSTOMIZED OR PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE, AND THOSE
SOFTWARE ERRORS THAT CONFIRM IMPROPERLY FUNCTIONING OR DEFECTIVE SOFTWARE; (27) LOSS OR
CORRUPTION OF DATA AND/OR THE RESTORATION OF SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEMS; (31) PRODUCT
REPAIRS WHICH SHOULD BE COVERED BY A MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY; (28) PRODUCTS SOLD “AS-IS”
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FLOOR MODELS (UNLESS COVERED BY A FULL MANUFACTURER’S
WARRANTY OR STORE RETURN POLICY ON YOUR DATE OF PURCHASE) AND DEMONSTRATION MODELS; (29)
SERVICE THAT OCCURS OUTSIDE OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA; AND (30) WAR, INVASION OR ACT OF FOREIGN ENEMY, HOSTILITIES, CIVIL WAR, REBELLION, RIOT,
STRIKE, LABOR DISTURBANCE, LOCKOUT OR CIVIL COMMOTION.

So essentially warranty is trash and some workers are out right lying to customers to pad their sales? 

I mean I can't even act surprise anymore. 

INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT
brows.gif

So essentially warranty is trash and some workers are out right lying to customers to pad their sales?

I mean I can't even act surprise anymore.
Yup. The only time I might consider getting one is when buying a pre-owned or refurbished console that may have lingering pre-existing problems that Gamestop's shitty refurb center overlooked that may take more then 30 days to manifest itself.

I've never had an issue taking back a broken system with a PRP and never got in trouble for doing so. I've been told from my DM it covers everything but lost or stolen.

But I've also never had anyone take a bat to their system or anything and try to return it.

I've taken back cracked 3ds screens and a broken in half 3ds and got no flack for it all at so I'd assume they dont encourage it but they will take it back regardless

I've never had an issue taking back a broken system with a PRP and never got in trouble for doing so. I've been told from my DM it covers everything but lost or stolen.

But I've also never had anyone take a bat to their system or anything and try to return it.

I've taken back cracked 3ds screens and a broken in half 3ds and got no flack for it all at so I'd assume they dont encourage it but they will take it back regardless
When I got my son a new 2DS a few years back I was told by the guy selling it to me that it covers any accidental damage. So 6 months later he leaves it on the floor and one morning my wife wakes up and accidentally steps on it in the dark. The top LCD was bleeding black and was only letting off a white light in areas that wasn't black. I went to 3 different GameStops in my area trying to return it and none would saying the PRP does not cover accidental issues. Even after I explained that I was lied to by the clerk who rung it up they told me my only option was to pay Nintendo to fix it. So I went home opened it up and disconnected the top LCD ribbon from the mainboard so it wouldn't turn on (Looked fine when it was off) and took it to a 4th store and told them the top screen stopped working. Even then they were very hesitant to take it back but I eventually got them to give me a replacement. This is why I do not trust warranties from GameStop.

Yeah I'm sorry if my info is incorrect. This is just how I've been told and have handled prps and never had an issue.

Not trying to lie to anyone or make them get a prp. Generally disappointed other stores refuse to honor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back