GameTap for less than $5/month (NiGHTS Into Dreams coming this year) !!!

Legolas813

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The awesome GameTap anniversary deal from last year is back. For a limited time, if you sign up for a year of GameTap, you will pay the equivalent of less than $5/month. This is 50% off the normal price of GameTap. Once subscribed, you will be locked in at this price (possibly forever).

GameTap offers unlimited play of over 1,000 new and old games (and growing every week) across multiple platforms. Not to mention the TV show episodes and video features released each week. Don't forget: challenge play on select games, leaderboards, online message boards, parental controls and more. This IS the best deal in gaming.

GameTap even gets day and date releases with certain games when they release in store. Some recent examples of this include Clive Barker's Jericho and Conflict: Denied Ops.

A complete list of GameTap's game catalog

NiGHTS Into Dreams coming next year!

Subscribe now

Please note that some pictures and descriptions above are slightly outdated/inaccurate, as GameTap has recently released a new version of the GameTap Player. TV shows are now on the website, not in the client.

[quote name='Legolas813']The awesome GameTap anniversary deal from last year is back. For a limited time, if you sign up for a year of GameTap, you will pay the equivalent of less than $5/month. This is 50% off the normal price of GameTap, and the opportunity for this deal only comes once a year. Once subscribed, you will be locked in at this price (possibly forever).[/QUOTE]

I think it reverts to normal price if they don't have the same deal and you sign up again in a year, right? Where does it say that you lock in this price of $60/year?

Mine is about to end next month from last year's deal. I didn't get much chance to use it, so I'm not sure if I will renew. I ended up mainly playing the classic arcade stuff that doesn't require much commitment. But this deal is always tempting.

I just subscribed in July on a 6-month plan (and paid almost as much as this!), anyone know what happens if you renew early? Do I get locked in at the new rate for a year after January? (I have an email into support but figured someone here may have had this happen last year)

Someone posted in the Gametap forums that a customer rep said that the $60/year rate will be locked in for as long as you're a gold subscriber.

[quote name='Zbornak']Someone posted in the Gametap forums that a customer rep said that the $60/year rate will be locked in for as long as you're a gold subscriber.[/quote]

Has this been confirmed?

I love Gametap...I had the $60/year plan, but unsure now if it's going to be renewed with the plan....

Edit: It's confirmed...I went into their forums and it renews on the anniversary date (so mines is the 15th of Oct...and my card will be charged on that day for $59.40)

I signed up after seeing how much money I could save compared to Gamefly, but the site sucks. They do not have anywhere near the same amount of games, and the games they do have, well good luck getting a copy since almost all of them are very long wait to receive. Just a lil heads up for some people be4 making the switch or the start

[quote name='chriscolemanis']I signed up after seeing how much money I could save compared to Gamefly, but the site sucks. They do not have anywhere near the same amount of games, and the games they do have, well good luck getting a copy since almost all of them are very long wait to receive. Just a lil heads up for some people be4 making the switch or the start[/quote]
...............................................:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It might be useful to read the actual thread title....I dunno if this guy is just plain dumb or missed the TITLE? Oh ya, the site is sooo bad NOBODY in the world that subscribed has gotten a copy of the game they requested. Other than that, I'm speechless.

i wonder if they support more video cards then they did before... i tried this last year but they didnt suppport my video card and couldnt play : (

360 controllers work amazing...... I have 2 hooked up for it, doesnt get much better for some old 2-player beat em ups. Then playing games online on gametap with friends if your friends have it is a blast playing co-op or versus.

YES YES YES!!!! I *HAVE* to sign up for this even though I still have a backlog now that I know you get locked in. This is a complete steal, and I just hope they can keep it going forever for cheap and with lots of great games.

It was a steal last year, but this past year it's just gotten better and better. Tons of new releases have actually come out at the same time or about the same time as their retail release. Just an awesome deal!

[quote name='chriscolemanis']I signed up after seeing how much money I could save compared to Gamefly, but the site sucks. They do not have anywhere near the same amount of games, an the games they do have, well good luck getting a copy since almost all of them are very long wait to receive. Just a lil heads up for some people be4 making the switch or the start[/QUOTE]

Umm...huh? Is this a joke? Do you know what Gametap is? I'm assuming you really misread the original post :)

[quote name='slidecage']i wonder if they support more video cards then they did before... i tried this last year but they didnt suppport my video card and couldnt play : ([/QUOTE]

Intel video, right (or other integrated video)? Like for anything, for modern games you're going to need a decent real GPU. The older ones that don't need 3D acceleration I'd think would probably work.

[quote name='awp']I'd be interested by my computer sucks. Something like Jericho probably wouldn't even run.[/QUOTE]I did this deal last year (very relieved to hear it'll just renew automatically at the discount rate, BTW) and even though my POS computer can't even run Overlord at any setting without turning into a slide show, it's still well worth it IMO. Lots of great games to be played, even with a low end computer.

And you can upgrade or a solid gaming system for not that much different from one of the consoles anymore (probably the same price or cheaper when you factor in you need a solid computer for other things anyway).

Ted Turner is officially my hero :D

[quote name='scottman']I think it reverts to normal price if they don't have the same deal and you sign up again in a year, right? Where does it say that you lock in this price of $60/year?[/QUOTE]

Those who signed up last year will automatically renew with the anniversary pricing, unless they cancel beforehand. If you want written proof (dinah and xero are actual staff members, not just moderators) see here.

[quote name='Justin42']I just subscribed in July on a 6-month plan (and paid almost as much as this!), anyone know what happens if you renew early? Do I get locked in at the new rate for a year after January? (I have an email into support but figured someone here may have had this happen last year)[/QUOTE]

That situation really has to be dealt with by GameTap support. If you contact them and are nice, they might even reimburse you for remaining months and then move you to the new lower priced plan immediately. No matter what they do, it will usually be something in your favor. I recommend using the online chat, which is the easiest way to communicate with them.

[quote name='chriscolemanis']I signed up after seeing how much money I could save compared to Gamefly, but the site sucks. They do not have anywhere near the same amount of games, and the games they do have, well good luck getting a copy since almost all of them are very long wait to receive. Just a lil heads up for some people be4 making the switch or the start[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand what GameTap is. GameTap (the traditional service) is an all-you-can-eat type of download service. You don't get physical "copies" of games. You download them. And it only takes as long as the downloading takes. There is no receiving games by mail (with the traditional service).

[quote name='jlseal']Hmmm, this is very tempting. What's their gamepad support like? Does the 360 controller work well?[/QUOTE]

360 controller works great and is customizable.

[quote name='awp']I'd be interested by my computer sucks. Something like Jericho probably wouldn't even run.[/QUOTE]

My computer sucks too! You don't need a great computer to run GameTap. I have a clearance laptop with an integrated on-board video card. I can still play most of the games on GameTap (obviously I can't play newer games such as DiRT, Overlord, or Jericho, but there is much more to GameTap other than games released in the past year).

for what ever reason game tap didn't work on my computer ... mind that my computer plays everquest II and such but game tap would just be a blank screen, but my hubbys computer which isn't as good as mine is ran it fine... go figure? makes no sence.

btw my pc is 2.8 p4, 160gb hd, radeon x600 256mb graphics card (i know it's a crappy card but if it an't broke don't fix it). And 2 gb of ram

hubbys computer that ran it is a 2.4 amd w/ 2 gb, integrated 128mb graphic card and 260gb hd.

Hmmm...the CAG in me wants to try the free games out.

Anyone tried that? I know the free games go in and out of rotation...if you start playing a free title, are you not allowed to play it anymore if it goes out of rotation? How long do the free titles stay in rotation, how long do you have to play them?

[quote name='kipz']I have a 1.86ghz dual core so it only see that as 1.86ghz, so I can't play anything that wants higher than 1.86ghz.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? I know GameTap WARNS that your computer is below the specs of some games, but in my experience it doesn't block you. Just say ok and you can still play the games, AFAIK. You may want to contact support and see what they have to say about it.

[quote name='eugaet']I know the free games go in and out of rotation...if you start playing a free title, are you not allowed to play it anymore if it goes out of rotation? How long do the free titles stay in rotation, how long do you have to play them?[/QUOTE]

Rotation time varies by game. Some are one week, some are 6 months. On the free list, it tells you when each specific game expires. Once expired, you can no longer play a free game until it comes back into rotation, unless you become a gold member.

Off Topic, how cool would it be if ps3 or 360 supported gametap use.....
that would be the end, gametap would have MILLIONS of subscribers no questions asked

[quote name='Legolas813']Rotation time varies by game. Some are one week, some are 6 months. On the free list, it tells you when each specific game expires. Once expired, you can no longer play a free game until it comes back into rotation, unless you become a gold member.[/quote]Hmmm...OK, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll give it a shot and hope for a 6-month game.

[quote name='chimpian']Off Topic, how cool would it be if ps3 or 360 supported gametap use.....
that would be the end, gametap would have MILLIONS of subscribers no questions asked[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, although I doubt MS/Sony would allow it as it'd pretty much end revenue for buying games at $5/each. (it'd kill the arcade downloads, and probably cripple the original games as people would have other, free stuff to explore)

Only Nintendo isn't offering older arcade games, it could possibly be a nice companion on the Wii, granted many of Gametap's higher end offerings probably wouldn't be able to run on the system.

[quote name='auralia']for what ever reason game tap didn't work on my computer ... mind that my computer plays everquest II and such but game tap would just be a blank screen, but my hubbys computer which isn't as good as mine is ran it fine... go figure? makes no sence.

btw my pc is 2.8 p4, 160gb hd, radeon x600 256mb graphics card (i know it's a crappy card but if it an't broke don't fix it). And 2 gb of ram

hubbys computer that ran it is a 2.4 amd w/ 2 gb, integrated 128mb graphic card and 260gb hd.[/QUOTE]

its probbally your video card isnt supported by gamespot just like my pc

[quote name='Doomed']How much space (GB/MB) does GT take up?[/QUOTE]
The player itself is about 50 MB. The games vary, from a few MB or less for the older games to several GB for newer games like Tomb Raider : Legend.

[quote name='Zbornak']The player itself is about 50 MB. The games vary, from a few MB or less for the older games to several GB for newer games like Tomb Raider : Legend.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch. Games I don't care too much about space, but the actual player being 50 megs is good.

[quote name='kipz']FYI: Gametap does not support dual core cpus, it will only recognize one of the cores. I joined when they had this deal last year. I have a 1.86ghz dual core so it only see that as 1.86ghz, so I can't play anything that wants higher than 1.86ghz. Like Hitman BLood Money for example.[/QUOTE]

Someone else kind of addressed this, but this isn't correct for several reasons:

-If a game supports multi-core CPUs, it supports multi-core CPUs. Gametap wouldn't disable that. Of course only newer games support multiple cores, but then that's irrelevant as older games don't need the extra power anyway.

-Since you've got a dual core chip at 1.86GHz, that means you've got either a Core, Core 2, or Athlon x2/Turon.
All of those CPUs are much faster at the same clock speed than a Pentium 4. When a game says it requires a certain clock speed, what it really means is it requires that fast of a Pentium 4. If you've got for instance a Core 2 at 1.86GHz, it's basically faster than the fastest Pentium 4 ever made.

Your GPU would be the possible issue for some new games-if it's some integrated GPU, it won't run some of the newest games well or at all in some cases-but there's not a single game ever made that won't run just fine on your CPU.

[quote name='auralia']for what ever reason game tap didn't work on my computer ... mind that my computer plays everquest II and such but game tap would just be a blank screen, but my hubbys computer which isn't as good as mine is ran it fine... go figure? makes no sence.

hubbys computer that ran it is a 2.4 amd w/ 2 gb, integrated 128mb graphic card and 260gb hd.[/QUOTE]

My guess is your video drivers aren't up to date. An x600 won't run a few of the newest games at all (those that require Pixel Shader 3.0), and it won't run some new games super well, but most games will run just fine on it. Certainly the vast majority of games on Gametap will run, as games that require PS 3.0 are very, very new (PS 3.0 is similar to the X-Box 360's capabilities, so a lot of games get developed for the PS 3.0 standard simultaneously on PC and 360).

If you haven't been regularly updating your drivers from ATi.com, that's most likely your problem, but it is NOT because of your video card. I've got a Radeon x300 in one of my systems that's the same hardware (but worse) and it runs Gametap completely fine.

[quote name='eugaet']Hmmm...the CAG in me wants to try the free games out.

Anyone tried that? I know the free games go in and out of rotation...if you start playing a free title, are you not allowed to play it anymore if it goes out of rotation? How long do the free titles stay in rotation, how long do you have to play them?[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, it varies (and the free game selection is kind of skewed towards Neo Geo stuff for some reason). If you're not sure about paying for the service, give that a try, and then sign up. 1000+ games for $5/month is the CAGiest deal you're going to find anywhere :)

Since you've got a dual core chip at 1.86GHz, that means you've got either a Core, Core 2, or Athlon x2/Turon.
All of those CPUs are much faster at the same clock speed than a Pentium 4. When a game says it requires a certain clock speed, what it really means is it requires that fast of a Pentium 4. If you've got for instance a Core 2 at 1.86GHz, it's basically faster than the fastest Pentium 4 ever made.
I know about that. Actually there is a website that can test your computer and it tells you how well your computer will run a certain game. It said that my CPU runs at 4.9ghz but I assume thats core 2 dual standards.

Your GPU would be the possible issue for some new games-if it's some integrated GPU, it won't run some of the newest games well or at all in some cases-but there's not a single game ever made that won't run just fine on your CPU.
No, I don't have intergrated video. I have an ATI x1300 PCI-E.

The game that I'm having problems with is Hitman:Blood Money. Acording to that website I mentioned earlier my computer is above the recomended specs. When I try to start the game it brings up the "luancher" where I can choose the resolution and other graphic related options, and then when I press the start button in there gametap just comes back up.

Thanks OP, I really don't need anymore games at the moment but I think I'm going to jump on this anyway. I really like the concept that gametap has and want to support it. From the commercials I'd seen on TV I had the impression that they were all about older console platform and beat 'em up games which didn't really interest me, but browsing through their catalog I see it's a whole lot more than that. Great RPGs, i.e. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Betrayal at Krondor, Might & Magics, Ultimas, just to name a few. Great strategy games such as Civ III, HoMM III, Alpha Centurai, etc. I actually own a copies of some of the older PC games, but the convienence of not having to find the box, install the program, fiddle with DosBox, deal with copy protection, etc may make this worthwhile.

What's the documentation like for the games, i.e. do they give you access to the original game manuals? Also can I install the player and download and play games on another computer as long as I'm only signed in at one at a time?

[quote name='jthieme']Thanks OP, I really don't need anymore games at the moment but I think I'm going to jump on this anyway. I really like the concept that gametap has and want to support it. From the commercials I'd seen on TV I had the impression that they were all about older console platform and beat 'em up games which didn't really interest me, but browsing through their catalog I see it's a whole lot more than that. Great RPGs, i.e. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Betrayal at Krondor, Might & Magics, Ultimas, just to name a few. Great strategy games such as Civ III, HoMM III, Alpha Centurai, etc. I actually own a copies of some of the older PC games, but the convienence of not having to find the box, install the program, fiddle with DosBox, deal with copy protection, etc may make this worthwhile.

What's the documentation like for the games, i.e. do they give you access to the original game manuals? Also can I install the player and download and play games on another computer as long as I'm only signed in at one at a time?[/quote]

documentation is pretty solid though with GameTap quickly approaching 1000 games i can't be sure they are all adequete. For instance, i don't know if Samurai Showdown has detailed explanations of their systems and all the movelists since GameTap has all 5 SS games on it's service. Honestly though, for 60 bucks this is the deal of the century, i'm just in a similar situation where i have tons to play already. That didn't keep from getting sucked into Penumbra Overture though, which is 20 bucks alone anywhere else you find it. :D

I managed to get my account switched over to $59.90 for the year, but it only starts with my next billing period (i.e., I can't get a refund for the last 3 months of my subscription). Oh well, at least I'm locked into $59.90 as long as I stay a subscriber. (which she confirmed-- I used the online chat)

This is a GREAT deal, thanks OP, if you can't find something to like on Gametap the problem is with you. Even at $10 a month it's pretty much the best legal deal in gaming.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Is it a 5.00 per month charge or is it 60.00 up front?[/quote]

I just signed on to this. It is 60 for a year. They seem to have a free section also. From my few minutes of messing around it looks pretty good to me.

bread's done
Back