GameTap is now free

I wasn't that impressed with GameTap (a year ago). Ironically, some of their PC emulation was terrible. I'm sorry, I'm just to deft with emulators for the old shit. Oops, did I just say that?

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what Sega Saturn stuff they are putting on.

Ah, where's the catch. I want to sign up.. it's saying I can play Tomb Raider Legend free? Metal Slug, Rampage, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Island, and Scrapland free?

Seriously.. what's the catch?

I don't think there's any catch except they probably will be putting up awesome games right now, then the free stuff will go to shit to encourage paid subscriptions.

The catch is that they're switching up the games frequently, so that if you get hooked on one game you're more likely to become a subscriber.

[quote name='Scorch']Ah, where's the catch. I want to sign up.. it's saying I can play Tomb Raider Legend free? Metal Slug, Rampage, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Island, and Scrapland free?

Seriously.. what's the catch?[/quote]

You have to view some advertisement to play free - but it beats paying to play!

Hmm I knew they were going free, didn't know they were free yet. Thanks op, even if they switch the games like every week I don't care free games, lol.

[quote name='dbz4ever']Might want to watch out for spyware in your computer after installing the player. better check.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, found a few things.

[quote name='dbz4ever']Might want to watch out for spyware in your computer after installing the player. better check.[/quote]Hmm I expected this to be spyware free, it is coming from turner and I would of expected a spyware free product, I am doing a spybot check before I launch the player.

Thanks OP, A few free games are just what I need to keep me occupied at work.......Ummm, don't tell my boss I said that :whistle2:#

I tried to do this yesterday and it said my video card wasn't compatible or some crap so I uninstalled it.

Meh, I can see the free version sucking balls. You have to download every game and some games are a lot bigger than others so if I wanted to play tomb raider legend for a week, I would need to download a fucking 4.8 GB file for a week worth of playtime. No thanks I am not downloading all these games, lol. I uninstalled it after realizing the fucking hassle the free version is.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Hmm I expected this to be spyware free, it is coming from turner and I would of expected a spyware free product, I am doing a spybot check before I launch the player.[/quote]

Turner? As in AOL Time Warner 'Turner'?

I'm just curious, as I think AOL is one of the most spyware ridden pieces of crap on the market and that is part of that corporate umbrella too.

And, you never get nothing for nothing. Either your computer will be loaded with spyware(which should be easy to remove) or you'll have to sit through umpteen ads that 'pay for' the freeness.

I'm actually a growing fan of GameTap because of the originals the service has pushed on the paid side of things. Sam & Max, the new Grimm series, Myst Uru Online, that kind of stuff. I see the emulated PC games as more time fillers. I get my $10 fee out of Metal Slug easy (and they added Metal Slug 2 to the paid today as well). Not to mention Tomb Raider Anniversary is coming free on the day it hits stores. Good times.

(Oh and Crazy Taxi is spectacular. I had my Dreamcast hooked up just to play it.)

[quote name='dbz4ever']Might want to watch out for spyware in your computer after installing the player. better check.[/QUOTE]

Gametap doesn't use spyware, it's a legit company, and from the times I've tried it, it's completely awesome. It's only gotten better over the last year. Well worth the price.

And yes, of COURSE you have to download the game to play it :roll: It's all handled in the background, and you can play other stuff while it's downloading.

And seriously, if your GPU can't run Gametap, it must be wood burning or something.

The tone of this thread is pretty weird. Gametap, that's already practically free anyway, gives us a bunch of stuff totally free, and people complain? Weird weird weird.

For Free I'll try anything....

errr...

PS: How can you complain about stuff like Joust, Root Beer Tapper, etc being free when they cost $$ on Xbox Live?

In semi-full disclosure, I don't actually pay for my Gametap sub but I really do think it's awesome. It's weird to see everyone flipping out about what's available this week on the VC or XBL for $5 - $10 when everything non-Nintendo has been on Gametap for like two years. Yes, if you have a PC you have the free emulator alternative, but unless you enjoy managing your coin-op arcade, Genesis, Sega Master System, Commodore 64, Sega Saturn, DOS, and Dreamcast emulators yourself (along with a couple hundred Windows games), Gametap is still a pretty convenient alternative.

Where else are you going to find Freespace 2 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos, people.

[quote name='lordwow']PS: How can you complain about stuff like Joust, Root Beer Tapper, etc being free when they cost $$ on Xbox Live?[/QUOTE]
People will complain about anything. The new GameTap client could actually fellate you and someone would bitch it doesn't clean up afterwards.

[quote name='mforge']In semi-full disclosure, I don't actually pay for my Gametap sub but I really do think it's awesome. It's weird to see everyone flipping out about what's available this week on the VC or XBL for $5 - $10 when everything non-Nintendo has been on Gametap for like two years. Yes, if you have a PC you have the free emulator alternative, but unless you enjoy managing your coin-op arcade, Genesis, Sega Master System, Commodore 64, Sega Saturn, DOS, and Dreamcast emulators yourself (along with a couple hundred Windows games), Gametap is still a pretty convenient alternative.

Where else are you going to find Freespace 2 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos, people.[/QUOTE]

99% of people here probably got lost at "Leather Goddesses of whaaa..?"

I didn't realise all the old Infocom games they have. Do they present the in-box stuff in any manner?

[quote name='Scorch']Ah, where's the catch. I want to sign up.. it's saying I can play Tomb Raider Legend free? Metal Slug, Rampage, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Island, and Scrapland free?

Seriously.. what's the catch?[/QUOTE]

"Free" games are ad supported. And they're hoping to hook you in to pay. That's about it, as far as I can tell.

I'm enjoying the gametap service so far, I remember a thread back here when they had a special promo: $60 for the whole year....I'm getting my moneys worth with all the Neo-Geo, Saturn, The Sam & Max, Uru, and Genesis games (better than the VC's selection) they offer.

[quote name='Justin42']99% of people here probably got lost at "Leather Goddesses of whaaa..?"

I didn't realise all the old Infocom games they have. Do they present the in-box stuff in any manner?[/QUOTE]

I'm not in front of my home computer to check, but GameTap has a "Bonus Materials" section for most games that lists interesting factoids and trivia, and they have online PDF manuals for a lot of the PC games. I'm sure Infocom's goodies are at least mentioned in the "Bonus Materials" section, not sure if there are links to the manuals.

They have a majority of the Infocom games. No HHGTTG though, alas.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Turner? As in AOL Time Warner 'Turner'?

I'm just curious, as I think AOL is one of the most spyware ridden pieces of crap on the market and that is part of that corporate umbrella too.

And, you never get nothing for nothing. Either your computer will be loaded with spyware(which should be easy to remove) or you'll have to sit through umpteen ads that 'pay for' the freeness.[/quote]Sorry I am a fucking dumbass, I forgot it was AOL Time Warner, I know AOL is a piece of shit, forgot it was AOL Time Warner. Oh and BTW everytime you launch gametap you get spyware on your system. I did a check once and cleaned my system of spyware, I installed gametap, launched it once, closed it, uninstalled it and there was the same spyware.

[quote name='yukine']Would I be able to play the Sam & Max games during this trial? Or are those separate of the GameTap subscriptions?[/QUOTE]
It's not a trial. They're just making a rotating selection of games free to play. The current list is here and doesn't include Sam & Max.

Hmm, I've been looking to try Tomb Raider Legend...and for free...I really can't turn it down. Really nice that they made a free part of it, even with the week-limitation and ads. I'm concerned about the spyware, but I'll check it out after I install it and if worst comes to worst, I'll just get rid of it and uninstall the program.

Not sure how much use I'll get out of this though, on my 512k connection a 5 gig file would take forever.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, I've been looking to try Tomb Raider Legend...and for free...I really can't turn it down. Really nice that they made a free part of it, even with the week-limitation and ads. I'm concerned about the spyware, but I'll check it out after I install it and if worst comes to worst, I'll just get rid of it and uninstall the program.

Not sure how much use I'll get out of this though, on my 512k connection a 5 gig file would take forever.[/quote]Uh don't bother with tomb raider legend it is free to June 4th. So a 5 gig download takes 1day+ and you get what a day or two to play it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot'] Oh and BTW everytime you launch gametap you get spyware on your system. I did a check once and cleaned my system of spyware, I installed gametap, launched it once, closed it, uninstalled it and there was the same spyware.[/quote]

Did you re-scan your system a second time BEFORE opening Gametap? Some spyware cant be removed by normal means and will regenerate after a spyware program tries to delete it.

People pay for emulation? What the shit, lol

Also, all of this stuff is already free, and better, in other "places."

So thanks, but no thanks.

[quote name='Xizer']People pay for emulation? What the shit, lol

Also, all of this stuff is already free, and better, in other "places."

So thanks, but no thanks.[/QUOTE]
ur so l33t.

Sounds cool. Too bad I have most of those on Taito Legends - otherwise I'd be WAY into it - Rastan (arcade), New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble... but interested in seeing what else there will be later. Hope they will rotate more arcade titles.

[quote name='Damian']It's not a trial. They're just making a rotating selection of games free to play. The current list is here and doesn't include Sam & Max.[/quote]

Fixed my original post, I was asking in general.

Very cool, I may have to load this on my PC at work. We have a super fast connection there and wouldn't mind some games to play durring down time. It beats playing crappy flash games.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, I've been looking to try Tomb Raider Legend...and for free...I really can't turn it down. Really nice that they made a free part of it, even with the week-limitation and ads. I'm concerned about the spyware, but I'll check it out after I install it and if worst comes to worst, I'll just get rid of it and uninstall the program.

Not sure how much use I'll get out of this though, on my 512k connection a 5 gig file would take forever.[/QUOTE]

If you just want to try it for free... couldn't you download the demo?

bread's done
Back