Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Sega Superstar Tennis/XBLA Compilation trades in for $5 at Gazelle, and you can get it at Gamestop for $2.50 right now with their Power Sale active.

EDIT: Never mind that, guys- I just found the new Hasbro Family Game Night. Lego Indiana Jones 2 is on sale right now at Gamestop for $15 on Wii and 360. It trades in for $20 at Gazelle. Now, if you're looking to get the maximum profit, do this:

2x Lego Indiana Jones 2 (Wii)
2x Lego Indiana Jones 2 (360)
1x Hasbro Family Game Night (Wii)
2x Sega Superstar Tennis/XBLA Compilation (360)
1x Socom II (PS2)

That will bring your total to about $82. Now use coupon code 20FROM80 to bring it down to more like 60. SAVER for free shipping, of course. Your total should be somewhere around $65- and trades in to Gazelle for $111. :D The only problem you might run into are the SST/XBLAC not coming complete- but rest assured a LOT of Gamestops have complete ones in-store, and you should be able to swap them out with no problem. I can't speak for Socom II, but that one's only for free shipping, anyway. Feel free to substitute that for a $1 game if you don't want to take the risk. Happy flipping!

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: if you've bought two copies of Hasbro Family Game Night from Gamestop already, they won't let you order any more. As I had already ordered four before they put a two cap on it, I substituted it with Hasbro Family Game Night for 360, and took out the SST/XBLA. That's a 1/1 flip if you don't take 20FROM80 into consideration, though, so if you feel like you could find something better, go for it. :]

I would just buy all new games for 89$ (minus 20) and flip to gazelle w/out worrying about having to go to gamestop and exchange. And its lego indiana jones 2 ... thanks ... I think I'll do this.

[quote name='ploppsdman']I would just buy all new games for 89$ (minus 20) and flip to gazelle w/out worrying about having to go to gamestop and exchange. And its lego indiana jones 2 ... thanks ... I think I'll do this.[/QUOTE]
Ah, thanks for pointing that out to me. I fixed it. :D

[quote name='ploppsdman']I would just buy all new games for 89$ (minus 20) and flip to gazelle w/out worrying about having to go to gamestop and exchange. And its lego indiana jones 2 ... thanks ... I think I'll do this.[/QUOTE]
just be careful if you order to many copies of the same game, gamestop will just cancel your order. and if they do it enough some people have reported they got banned, gamestop does not like to take peoples money, there afraid that by buying 5 copies of the same game you may put them out of business :bomb:

[quote name='bredbu']just be careful if you order to many copies of the same game, gamestop will just cancel your order. and if they do it enough some people have reported they got banned, gamestop does not like to take peoples money, there afraid that by buying 5 copies of the same game you may put them out of business :bomb:[/QUOTE]
I've never heard of people being banned for ORDERING too many of the same game- just trading them in, or spending too much money in a short time period. The thing about ordering the games I previously mentioned is that they're restricted to two per household. Period. Like I mentioned before, I tried ordering a couple Hasbro Family Game Nights for Wii, but at the final stage of checkout, it wouldn't let me order any more because I had already breached the limit with other orders. So you shouldn't have to worry about anything like that. :D

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Looks like Sega Superstar Tennis/XBLA Compilation trades in for $5 at Gazelle, and you can get it at Gamestop for $2.50 right now with their Power Sale active.

EDIT: Never mind that, guys- I just found the new Hasbro Family Game Night. Lego Indiana Jones 2 is on sale right now at Gamestop for $15 on Wii and 360. It trades in for $20 at Gazelle. Now, if you're looking to get the maximum profit, do this:

2x Lego Indiana Jones 2 (Wii)
2x Lego Indiana Jones 2 (360)
1x Hasbro Family Game Night (Wii)
2x Sega Superstar Tennis/XBLA Compilation (360)
1x Socom II (PS2)

That will bring your total to about $82. Now use coupon code 20FROM80 to bring it down to more like 60. SAVER for free shipping, of course. Your total should be somewhere around $65- and trades in to Gazelle for $111. :D The only problem you might run into are the SST/XBLAC not coming complete- but rest assured a LOT of Gamestops have complete ones in-store, and you should be able to swap them out with no problem. I can't speak for Socom II, but that one's only for free shipping, anyway. Feel free to substitute that for a $1 game if you don't want to take the risk. Happy flipping!

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: if you've bought two copies of Hasbro Family Game Night from Gamestop already, they won't let you order any more. As I had already ordered four before they put a two cap on it, I substituted it with Hasbro Family Game Night for 360, and took out the SST/XBLA. That's a 1/1 flip if you don't take 20FROM80 into consideration, though, so if you feel like you could find something better, go for it. :][/QUOTE]

I think it was a better deal during the B2G1 to get 3 copies of Lego Indiana Jones for ~32.40 after EDGE and trade that in to Gazelle for $60 ($63 for an Amazon GC). Nearly 100% return.

[quote name='Eric1285']I think it was a better deal during the B2G1 to get 3 copies of Lego Indiana Jones for ~32.40 after EDGE and trade that in to Gazelle for $60 ($63 for an Amazon GC). Nearly 100% return.[/QUOTE]
That is a better deal, and it's certainly worth mentioning since B2G1FREE is still in effect. Personally, I've never had any problems finding complete copies if the ones I ordered from the website came incomplete. But if you got three incomplete copies and couldn't find replacements, you'd probably end up having to return them to Gamestop. That, and it seems like a lot of CAGs simply don't want to bother with swapping out their incompletes for completes. Thanks for bringing it to the thread, though. :D

I don't even have a gamestop within 100 miles of me, well it's about 90something away but anyway.

I'm not going to chance it with used copies.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is a better deal, and it's certainly worth mentioning since B2G1FREE is still in effect. Personally, I've never had any problems finding complete copies if the ones I ordered from the website came incomplete. But if you got three incomplete copies and couldn't find replacements, you'd probably end up having to return them to Gamestop. That, and it seems like a lot of CAGs simply don't want to bother with swapping out their incompletes for completes. Thanks for bringing it to the thread, though. :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have about 6 Gamestops in my area so it's not much of a problem. I've tried getting 2 of them to replace incomplete games for me and both did it with no problems. I've never tried trading anything in to Gazelle that wasn't complete, but my friend just sent in a couple games sans manuals so I'll ask him if it passes inspection.

[quote name='Eric1285']I've never tried trading anything in to Gazelle that wasn't complete, but my friend just sent in a couple games sans manuals so I'll ask him if it passes inspection.[/QUOTE]
They do take things without manuals- I've done it before. All you need is an official case (not necessarily the original) and the original artwork.

To lock in quotes, does it just have to be in the box (Gazelle's terms) or do I have to actually check out with it, and if I do, is it still the 30 days to send it in like the OP said? I ask because it's my first time trading to Gazelle and the OP hasn't been updated since June 6, so things could've changed by now.

I have a complete legoindy 2 but gamestop had it in a black case, does this not count as official case. should i/must i bring it back and see if they can swap me the lime green cases so i get my full value tiv or is blackcases ok? thnx

[quote name='ithebigc']To lock in quotes, does it just have to be in the box (Gazelle's terms) or do I have to actually check out with it, and if I do, is it still the 30 days to send it in like the OP said? I ask because it's my first time trading to Gazelle and the OP hasn't been updated since June 6, so things could've changed by now.[/QUOTE]

I just received the following message from them:

"Because we base our pricing on current market data, our offers expire after 30 business days. Items that we receive later than that are subject to a revised offer if prices have gone down."

Bah, of course I ordered 2 x Lego Indy 2 for each system late last night when the sale first started. I rushed to get the orders in thinking they would go OOS quickly. I ended up making two orders and wasting two of my $10 coupons instead of one big order and a couple of filler items to use 20from80. What a waste, especially considering the buggers are still in stock! I just assumed I had very little time to get the orders in and just figured they would have had all those coupons expire before the sale!

[quote name='Velo214']I have a complete legoindy 2 but gamestop had it in a black case, does this not count as official case. should i/must i bring it back and see if they can swap me the lime green cases so i get my full value tiv or is blackcases ok? thnx[/QUOTE]

they pretty relax about the case, never rejected any of mine.

thanx hqn :) i stress a bit bout these things, i gotta just chill :) but ya know, my profit margin gets shot if they reject the case, lol. i could just bug gamestop n switch my case, i gotta run by n cancel my madden 10 preorder anyway, lol. peace

[quote name='Velo214']io, some of the coupon codes stacked with powerup deals have been canceled, so don't get too beat up over it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but those were stacked used game coupon codes. 20from80 would have worked fine, and I would have saved my $20 codes for later. Oh well...

Thanks for the indy 2 heads up everybody. I'm not an edge card user so with b2g1 it came out to $39. Turning that into $63 amazon isn't a huge return but I can't complain since that $39 would've gone to them anyways.

oh yeah, io lost your coupon codes, i get it. that does suck. if it helps i spent a $10 code on 3d dot game heroes, havn't opened it yet, and now it's 30 new. lol. so that's a lost 10 code, but they seem pretty abundant, so don't fret.
i just went and made another order, that's 3 in the last 24hours for me...i need to stop. im killin my 550credit down to 300 already. also dont know if its been said but naruto clash revolution 3 is a good filler also 20new -> 23 gazelle tiv. darkvoid also 10new->11 bbtiv. not much profit, but it helps get it over 80. also all new so making it easy to flip completes. all those are mostly 2x per house only tho. so make it count ;)

anyone ever have any luck getting gamestop to reimburse tax spent while using edge cards online? i know it might be a moot point, but im almost racked up 20ish in tax just in the last day, so that would be even sweeter if i complained at [email protected] or something n they hooked me up. i know a cag on the forums has said he does it, so i guess ymmv. doesn't hurt to try. peace

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently made a purchase on gamestop.com and I noticed a problem. I was charged sales tax on the purchases even though it was completely paid with an Edge Card. This should not be since in [INSERT STATE] I should not be getting charged sales tax with trade in credits. Is this a problem in the system? How can we correct this? The order number is [INSERT ORDER NUMBER]. I was charged a total of [INSERT TOAL] in tax. Thank you in advance for your help.

that's the template i use when i email them (copied from another CAG), and have never had a problem getting a refund, although they send you a new gift card in the mail instead

What I do is email customer service and tell them that you do not get charged tax when making gamestop credit purchases instore, but you have been charged when ordering online. Include all order numbers. They have been adjusting my orders if they have not shipped or sending me gift cards for the tax amounts if they have shipped.

Didn't know that about the tax thing...awesome. Get my $2.xx back. I thought there was no way around it, so I placed my first B2G1 order and paid with my Amex (hooray, 2% cashback), thinking I would safe my EDGE credit for in store purchases. Placed my second order and just used the EDGE credit anyway since I guess it doesn't make much sense to have credit sitting on a card. Nice to know I can get my tax back.

Does UPS accept old labels or are they like USPS?

Has anyone who has sent under the new system via USPS have it show up as accepted on their site at some point, or have it show up under UPS tracking later on?

Got verified on Tuesday, STILL haven't gotten my paypal. Last few months anytime I was verified they had me paid within 4 days (even on sat/sun). This sucks. Did they suddenly decide to take a page from Dealtree or what? They've always been so good in the past but this sucks. :(

[quote name='io']Bah, of course I ordered 2 x Lego Indy 2 for each system late last night when the sale first started. I rushed to get the orders in thinking they would go OOS quickly. I ended up making two orders and wasting two of my $10 coupons instead of one big order and a couple of filler items to use 20from80. What a waste, especially considering the buggers are still in stock! I just assumed I had very little time to get the orders in and just figured they would have had all those coupons expire before the sale![/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. Knowing there was a coupon makes me feel silly now. But I haven't found any other use for those coupons.

so i just placed my first order under the new shipping changes. unfortunately for me my local ups store closed a few months ago, so i can either drop it off at the post office (5 minute drive) or a UPS drop box (10 minutes away). i never used those drop boxes before, so i'm not sure which option is better/safer. any suggestions?

[quote name='y2jasper']so i just placed my first order under the new shipping changes. unfortunately for me my local ups store closed a few months ago, so i can either drop it off at the post office (5 minute drive) or a UPS drop box (10 minutes away). i never used those drop boxes before, so i'm not sure which option is better/safer. any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
those ups drop boxes are fine, they're designed so that when you open to drop a package it prevents you from taking anything already in there.

[quote name='y2jasper']so i just placed my first order under the new shipping changes. unfortunately for me my local ups store closed a few months ago, so i can either drop it off at the post office (5 minute drive) or a UPS drop box (10 minutes away). i never used those drop boxes before, so i'm not sure which option is better/safer. any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

are you referring to the policy change that Gazelle only send a box for certain items now (excluding vg)?

if the UPS drop box location is at a Staples which many CAGs use to drop off, then it should be fine. however, there is some local sporting goods place that also has one nearby but since it's a "local" store and not something like Staples, i stay away.

Based on google I'd stay away from Staples because if something happens you're going to be playing phone tag between UPS and Staples with each of them telling you to contact the other and Staples will npt return your calls if there is a problem. Does Staples have dropboxes though? I thought they did UPS by hand and Fedex by drop off. Though even if they do have dropbox you will probably still run into the same problem.

I was just checking out their site and it says dropboxes only take boxes up to 16''x13''x3''. 3'' height... wtf. I hope this is a square footage deal.

[quote name='J7.']Based on google I'd stay away from Staples because if something happens you're going to be playing phone tag between UPS and Staples with each of them telling you to contact the other and Staples will npt return your calls if there is a problem. Does Staples have dropboxes though? I thought they did UPS by hand and Fedex by drop off. Though even if they do have dropbox you will probably still run into the same problem.

I was just checking out their site and it says dropboxes only take boxes up to 16''x13''x3''. 3'' height... wtf. I hope this is a square footage deal.[/QUOTE]

I've left packages at Staples and never had a problem. They give you a receipt, and the pickup is around 3PM (at least it is for here.) Any problems come up, contact everyone. It'd be the same if the Post Office lost your stuff, except they couldn't care less.

[quote name='ChunkyLover78']i ordered 2x for each system for indiana jones 2 (wii and xbox).. and they canceled one of my orders... happen to anyone else?[/QUOTE]
You mean Gazelle canceled on you? I didn't even know that was possible. I really hope mine don't get canceled, because they're all past the stages where I can cancel them.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']You mean Gazelle canceled on you? I didn't even know that was possible. I really hope mine don't get canceled, because they're all past the stages where I can cancel them.[/QUOTE]

fairly certain he means amazon cancelled.

[quote name='animemaniac14']fairly certain he means amazon cancelled.[/QUOTE]
That was my initial thought, too, but why would he order 2x Lego Indiana 2 for Wii unless he bought them somewhere with the intention of trading in? You'd only be breaking even with Amazon.

So nobody else is experiencing unsual slow pay via paypal? It's driving me nuts. I know they've officially got like, 2 weeks, but they've never taken this long before. :(

[quote name='callmewoof']So nobody else is experiencing unsual slow pay via paypal? It's driving me nuts. I know they've officially got like, 2 weeks, but they've never taken this long before. :([/QUOTE]

Gazelle is busy cause of all the people trading ip iPhones they say it's the busiest time for them pay pal from them is taking like a week and a half longer than usual

[quote name='bredbu']Gazelle is busy cause of all the people trading ip iPhones they say it's the busiest time for them pay pal from them is taking like a week and a half longer than usual[/QUOTE]

Aww dang that makes sense, I wish I had paid better attention. >.< Oh well. Thanks for the reply!

[quote name='bredbu']Gazelle is busy cause of all the people trading ip iPhones they say it's the busiest time for them pay pal from them is taking like a week and a half longer than usual[/QUOTE]

interesting. I was gonna send mine in but went the ebay route instead with my iphone.

Lego Indy 2 for 360 is now just saying "recycle it now" on gazelle. I ordered a few used copies from gamestop.com that I was planning on trading in. Has anyone returned games bought online in a gamestop store before?

[quote name='confoosious']interesting. I was gonna send mine in but went the ebay route instead with my iphone.[/QUOTE]

You can get so much more selling an iPhone on eBay, when it is unlocked & jailbroken.

I sold my mint 3G 8GB for $250. Paid off my EVO in full, and I'll be saving $20 in monthly costs as well.

If you don't know how to unlock/jailbreak, there's tons of guides online.

[quote name='monster1990']Lego Indy 2 for 360 is now just saying "recycle it now" on gazelle. I ordered a few used copies from gamestop.com that I was planning on trading in. Has anyone returned games bought online in a gamestop store before?[/QUOTE]

always lock in beforehand. also should've ordered new.

anyway, yes. you have to bring in the packing slip for a return.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']always lock in beforehand. also should've ordered new.

anyway, yes. you have to bring in the packing slip for a return.[/QUOTE]

I bought used during the B2G1 sale and used my EDGE discount but I totally forgot to lock in. I might just try to exchange them for the wii edition. Thanks for the help.

bread's done
Back