Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, ups is def the way to go. i gave a package to the ups guy yesterday and it's already in ohio today. on the other hand i put 10 packages in usps drop box on 23rd, didnt get till local post office til 27th, and i just got off the phone and they say ups comes on monday mornings, so that will be another few days til it even gets to ups and leaves stl. omg. so yeah, ups is definately superfast compared to this snailmail that is taking me almost 2 weeks. luckily nothing close to the deadline at all but still. i got pop platted in 8 hours, and singularity platted in a week, soo woot off they go.

Clearly it depends on where you live. It took over a week for my UPS stuff to get there. When it was direct USPS (not this USPS->UPS crap) it was faster for me, even with media mail.

The packages that I dropped off with the USPS on 7/20, were scheduled for delivery by UPS today 7/30, but have now been rescheduled for some reason to 8/2.

The strange thing is one of my packages dropped off on 7/20 somehow made it through quicker and was delivered 7/27.

Dropped off seven packages at the UPS Store Monday (been little bit lazy lately). Everything got there this morning, and surprisingly enough were all checking in! Was not expecting that until at least Monday. Now just to wait for my Amazon and PayPal payments.

Dropped off packages to USPS drop box on Thursday afternoon. Delivered and inspected by gazelle Friday. Just got the payment in my Paypal today. wow that was fast.

[quote name='Velo214']i got pop platted in 8 hours, and singularity platted in a week, soo woot off they go.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the new PoP? Gazelle does not have that listed, or did you somehow find it there? I have my copy from Best Buy and would love to beat it and send it in for more than I paid. I do have it locked in at Amazon for $18.75 as a backup though. (Edit - Crap, I just realized as a "special" Best Buy version they will probably reject it).

As for Gazelle payments, I just got paid (via Paypal) for two that were mailed on 7/21 (dropped off at UPS) and checked in on Thursday. I'm still waiting for them to get ones I dropped off on 7/26. So, yeah, for those of us not in NJ, there is no next day service ;).

[quote name='sotc1988']I dropped mine off at UPS on Monday and they're telling me it won't arrive until August 2[/QUOTE]

I sent mine out on Tuesday, but otherwise same estimated delivery date.

I went with the gamestop trade in 2 for 40 deal with pop, but i also have it locked in through bestbuy at 17, but that was from like a week ago, i think its 13 now. easy plat, just took a day, use a walkthrough for finding sarcophagai(SP?) and dont get hit during boss battles ;)

[quote name='Velo214']I went with the gamestop trade in 2 for 40 deal with pop, but i also have it locked in through bestbuy at 17, but that was from like a week ago, i think its 13 now. easy plat, just took a day, use a walkthrough for finding sarcophagai(SP?) and dont get hit during boss battles ;)[/QUOTE]

Ugh, yeah, I'm never good at the "not getting hit" type trophies.

[quote name='io']Ugh, yeah, I'm never good at the "not getting hit" type trophies.[/QUOTE]
Not getting hit, not getting seen, and time limits... The three deadly venoms of gaming.

not getting hit is easy, just level up your health and then stone armor. you just trigger stone armor anytime it runs out and it acts as a shield, so you dont get hit as long as it is on. io, i know you can do it ;)

I looked at the UPS tracking and saw that all of the progress that told me where it had shipped on certain days was gone and in its place was a status of "billing info received." Does that mean they received my item? Seems kind of strange. Previously it had said gazelle would get it on august 2nd.

[quote name='sotc1988']I looked at the UPS tracking and saw that all of the progress that told me where it had shipped on certain days was gone and in its place was a status of "billing info received." Does that mean they received my item? Seems kind of strange. Previously it had said gazelle would get it on august 2nd.[/QUOTE]

Somebody just posted the same thing in the Amazon thread. Maybe UPS tracking is just being glitchy right now.

OK, I just checked one I sent to Amazon that was supposed to be delivered any day now. It now has all its info gone as well and just says "billing info received". Same thing with a package I sent to Gazelle. So I'm guessing it is just a glitch at UPS.

So I had to go out of town for 3 days for work and didn't have time to stop at a ups store so I threw a few packages in a ups drop box. Has anyone ever had them get picked up that ups box only for them to update the tracking info to waiting at local post office? Did ups seriously take my package to the post office to sit there for several days for them to come back and pick it up? I'm starting to get half mad and half worried because only 2 of the 4 packages show anything and the two that do show that.

a while back someone said that with gazelle its 5 copies a month has anyone tested this? I traded in lots of toy story manias during bbv b1g1, more than 5. I went into bbv last night and saw they had 2 copies i want to pick them up and send them to gazelle for like a 8 dollar profit, but blockbuster sucks at returns so if gazelle sends them back ill be stuck with them. has anyone tried this yet? or am i in untested waters

So is there any official word on when Gazelle will update their site? I have dozens of DVDs and games and half of them are available for trade on Amazon but not Gazelle. Very frustrating.

[quote name='bredbu']a while back someone said that with gazelle its 5 copies a month has anyone tested this? I traded in lots of toy story manias during bbv b1g1, more than 5. I went into bbv last night and saw they had 2 copies i want to pick them up and send them to gazelle for like a 8 dollar profit, but blockbuster sucks at returns so if gazelle sends them back ill be stuck with them. has anyone tried this yet? or am i in untested waters[/QUOTE]

If Gazelle doesn't auto-cancel your order, you should be fine.

Ok I called ups about my packages. They said I had to contact gazelle and have them contact ups about the couple that haven't shown up. For the ones that did show up as being dropped off at a post office the ups lady said that is completely normal. Apparently this new system that gazelle is using it allows ups drivers to either have it delivered via ups or if they feel like being lazy or being to busy they can go and hand it to the post office and the post office then must deliver it. I found that really strange but she said that its one of their new shipping services they are offering.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Ok I called ups about my packages. They said I had to contact gazelle and have them contact ups about the couple that haven't shown up. For the ones that did show up as being dropped off at a post office the ups lady said that is completely normal. Apparently this new system that gazelle is using it allows ups drivers to either have it delivered via ups or if they feel like being lazy or being to busy they can go and hand it to the post office and the post office then must deliver it. I found that really strange but she said that its one of their new shipping services they are offering.[/QUOTE]

yea what i do is remove the post office section on the shipping label to ensure ups delivers it.

[quote name='hqn101']yea what i do is remove the post office section on the shipping label to ensure ups delivers it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm and they have never had any problems? I didn't think about doing that. I'll ask the driver I usually give my stuff to whats up with this new service and see if he gives me any insight to why its so ass backwards.

You guys have the worst luck with those labels.

I dropped my box off today at the same UPS store I always use, and its scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. FWIW, I'm in Ohio.

Received my second payment from Gazelle in the past week or so. They've been pretty good about turning around for payment via PayPal. Still looking forward to see what Gazelle 3.0 as they call it turns out to be.

I mailed 3 things via UPS on the 26th. One went to Amazon/NorAm and I got the credit for that yesterday (8/2), which I'm assuming is the same day they got it. Still nothing on the 2 to Gazelle though it appears they were delivered this morning. Strange that it took an extra day for the 2 Gazelle packages vs the Amazon one.

I have to report my one bad experience with Gazelle. I had mentioned it a week or two ago, but Gazelle won't do anything about it.

I had sent in about 10 games for $200 in credit and when Gazelle reported on their inspection they said that 3 of the games were not included. I agreed on 1 of the games but the remaining two games indeed were sent as I don't have them here and there is nowhere else they could have gone. I specifically remember where I put them in the box too because I had to pack it a certain way to fit all of the games in. I appealed with the online chat a week ago and they said they would look into it and then today I followed up since they never responded. They said that there were no alterations made to the box to indicate that it was opened or tampered and they could not credit me the $56 for the two games. I just find it unacceptable for them to respond like this. I asked them what I was supposed to do, videotape my packaging of the box and get it notarized that all items were included? It's classic "he said/she said" as there is no way for me to prove that I sent them and there is no way for them to prove they did/didn't receive them.

I argued about the reliability of the inspection process because I had two other issues that turned out to be in my favor in the past week but not enough to make up the $56. Very disappointed to see Gazelle respond like this after using them for the past 14 months. This is my first and only negative experience, but I still think it should go on record in case others start encountering issues.

It makes me want to mess with them and try to find other ways to potentially gain or recover my $56 with other gaps in their inspection process.

[quote name='converse']I have to report my one bad experience with Gazelle. I had mentioned it a week or two ago, but Gazelle won't do anything about it.

I had sent in about 10 games for $200 in credit and when Gazelle reported on their inspection they said that 3 of the games were not included. I agreed on 1 of the games but the remaining two games indeed were sent as I don't have them here and there is nowhere else they could have gone. I specifically remember where I put them in the box too because I had to pack it a certain way to fit all of the games in. I appealed with the online chat a week ago and they said they would look into it and then today I followed up since they never responded. They said that there were no alterations made to the box to indicate that it was opened or tampered and they could not credit me the $56 for the two games. I just find it unacceptable for them to respond like this. I asked them what I was supposed to do, videotape my packaging of the box and get it notarized that all items were included? It's classic "he said/she said" as there is no way for me to prove that I sent them and there is no way for them to prove they did/didn't receive them.

I argued about the reliability of the inspection process because I had two other issues that turned out to be in my favor in the past week but not enough to make up the $56. Very disappointed to see Gazelle respond like this after using them for the past 14 months. This is my first and only negative experience, but I still think it should go on record in case others start encountering issues.

It makes me want to mess with them and try to find other ways to potentially gain or recover my $56 with other gaps in their inspection process.[/QUOTE]

Just by the simple fact that you admit to 1 of the 10 games not being packed and use language such as "about", really make me question how certain you really are that you sent the missing games. I'm sure you made healthy profits from gazelle, so my advice assume you're to blame somehow and be ultra careful in the future.

[quote name='stoned99']Just by the simple fact that you admit to 1 of the 10 games not being packed and use language such as "about", really make me question how certain you really are that you sent the missing games. I'm sure you made healthy profits from gazelle, so my advice assume you're to blame somehow and be ultra careful in the future.[/QUOTE]
I'd admit fault if there was reasonable cause, but I know for certain that I included those games because I have specific memory of it. It's not like these were 2 out of 100 where they could easily be misplaced.

Sorry, I didn't think this level of detail was required for a post on CAG. There were exactly 18 games that were submitted on the sheet, I sent in 17 games and excluded 1 game. I hope that those details mean something to you, otherwise what was the point in questioning it?

I have probably used Gazelle more in the past 14 months than just about anyone here, so it's not like I am some fool who doesn't know how this process works.

[quote name='kataztrophik']If Gazelle doesn't auto-cancel your order, you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

excellent info Thanks so much

I think I'm finally done with defending Gazelle.

If they honestly don't want to update their values, then that's their problem. Just look at cell phones. Heck they already have the Droid X and the Captivate on their site, but whatever monkeys are working in the DVD/Game area must be doing jack shit since they're now bordering on 3 1/2 months behind.

Who the fuck is dumb enough to trade in any of those phones anyway? Unless they're stolen, they're worth more either by 1) getting a refund since they haven't been out for 30 days or 2) selling them on eBay for 2x what Gazelle gives you. Their phone TIVs are Gamestop-esque anyway.

[quote name='converse']I'd admit fault if there was reasonable cause, but I know for certain that I included those games because I have specific memory of it. It's not like these were 2 out of 100 where they could easily be misplaced.

Sorry, I didn't think this level of detail was required for a post on CAG. There were exactly 18 games that were submitted on the sheet, I sent in 17 games and excluded 1 game. I hope that those details mean something to you, otherwise what was the point in questioning it?

I have probably used Gazelle more in the past 14 months than just about anyone here, so it's not like I am some fool who doesn't know how this process works.[/QUOTE]

I would send less games in 1 package. If there's 17 games in 1 package to me that is asking for trouble. Either it can be lost in transit, damaged, etc. When they inspect it is harder to keep track of 17 games and compare that list to what's in the box, especially when 1 of them is already missing and they have no attachment to those games like you do. Just my two cents.

I agree you have a right to be upset and I would be pretty mad. I just look at it like this, they can't really do anything about it if they cannot prove to themselves those games were there due to the person handling CS is not the person to handle the games. As you said he said she said. This is the downside to online trading. You still have the right to be pissed.

[quote name='rp71284']
Who the fuck is dumb enough to trade in any of those phones anyway? Unless they're stolen, they're worth more either by 1) getting a refund since they haven't been out for 30 days or 2) selling them on eBay for 2x what Gazelle gives you. Their phone TIVs are Gamestop-esque anyway.[/QUOTE]

some people don't like ebay. My gf sent in an iphone 3G about 8 months ago, got $220 for it and got a 3GS from at&t for $200. No muss no fuss and no one on ebay trying to scam you.

(I just sold my 3G for $210 on ebay though.)

It's personal preference and risk avoidance.

You need to relax.

[quote name='confoosious']some people don't like ebay. My gf sent in an iphone 3G about 8 months ago, got $220 for it and got a 3GS from at&t for $200. No muss no fuss and no one on ebay trying to scam you.

(I just sold my 3G for $210 on ebay though.)

It's personal preference and risk avoidance.

You need to relax.[/QUOTE]

Oh no I didn't mean something like those iPhones. I meant like a phone that came out in the last 30-60 days (Droid X, EVO, Captivate). Heck if I wanted to avoid shadyness I'd have dumped my phone on them. I did what you did with your 3G though.

Question to frequent Gazelle users:
I want to trade my copy of Street Fighter IV in. I have the collector's edition, but I only want to send the game with case/manual/artwork, not the bonus discs and such. The case marks the game as a Collector's edition. Can I send it in as a CE? will they care that it is incomplete? Or should I send it as the standard edition?

I've sent dozens of Guitar Hero and Rock Band "Not For Resale" games to Gazelle as game-only listings. I've yet to be turned down, but they have been going through changes in their trade ins, so I'd guess it's subject to their whims.

How often does UPS scan their packages? It's been 3 days since my package was last scanned leaving a nearby distribution center (although still a ways away from the eventual destination), and I'm wondering if I should be concerned...

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']How often does UPS scan their packages? It's been 3 days since my package was last scanned leaving a nearby distribution center (although still a ways away from the eventual destination), and I'm wondering if I should be concerned...[/QUOTE]

They usually and should be scanning it every time it hits a different location, but sometimes the tracking on their site doesn't update it right away. Just keep checking and if by Monday there's no updates, I suggest calling the last location to try and find your package.

[quote name='Mikocouch']No ups ground is slow[/QUOTE]

Not really. If I drop a package off at the UPS store with Ground, it usually gets to Gazelle by Friday(and I'm in CA). Actually, ever since Gazelle offered UPS Ground, it only took 3 or 4 days to get to Gazelle.

Maybe your UPS drops it off at USPS for them to send it?
(Do you leave the USPS sign on the label when you cut out the shipping label?)

Because if they do drop it off to USPS, it's going to go MUCH slower because Parcel Post sucks ass.

[quote name='cupcakex1']
Maybe your UPS drops it off at USPS for them to send it?
(Do you leave the USPS sign on the label when you cut out the shipping label?)

Because if they do drop it off to USPS, it's going to go MUCH slower because Parcel Post sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

For future reference, which portion can I cut off? I don't think I should cut out any bar code areas, but do you mean the "Package may be given to UPS or USPS (followed by their logos)"?

Thanks.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']For future reference, which portion can I cut off? I don't think I should cut out any bar code areas, but do you mean the "Package may be given to UPS or USPS (followed by their logos)"?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

i cut off the part on the bottom with the usps barcode

Man I wish they'd get some new games in their system, searched for Alan Wake and it doesn't have it.

bread's done
Back