Gears Of War - General info and Discussion #1 (MODS LOCK PLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoW finally!

Got outta work around 6 pm (EST) went to Target n they said they werent getting it till tomorrow same with K-Mart. Went to the local mall.. where we have a ebgames, gamestop, and a soft etc.

me- "Do you guys have Gears of War?"

EBgames- "sorry we're only selling to the ones with pre-orders"
gamestop "we are sold out, n this entire mall prolly is too"
soft etc- "yeah, would you like to buy it?"

score one for soft etc! =)

My gamestop said they wont have it until like 4 tommrow, WTF why does virginia get everything last? O well ill just skip class on thursday and play this, it looks so sick.

We should slowly turn this thread, with the help of the OP, into a CAG clan-like Live thread to gather and invite people. Because I've only had XBOX360 since Saturday and it'd be cool to play with you guys. Much better than just jumping into random games with immature teens who love to use the "N" word.

[quote name='Scorch']"by 9pm".. kinda lame, since they close at 9.[/QUOTE]
They are staying open until 10PM to sell GoW.

I just finished Act I. I was a little worried the single player campaign would pale in comparison to the multiplayer aspect of the game, but it's exceeded all expectations so far.

Finished Act I in about 45 minutes...

the whole scene with the berserker felt a lot like RE4.

the gameplay and setting reminds me a lot of RE4....except on crack, completely post-apocalyptic and infinitely deeper.

This game is fucking incredible. I used to think no console shooter would match the Halo franchise, and now I do not think Halo 3 will ever live up to this game. The "cover and shoot" gameplay is so refreshing, and I was muttering expletives throughout the first 20 minutes. This game is so fucking good. All of it screams Hollywood Blockbuster only it really feels like you are in the game. Fragging an enemy has never felt so satisfying. This is really going to be hard to top.

I'm amazed that everyone loves it. I'm glad it turned out so great. I've heard the single player campaign is short.. god I hope someone trades it in soon.. maybe someone that doesn't have XBL and beats it quick. Bah!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Question:

Are you guys playing it on casual or hardcore? And, should I see the casual as the "easy" mode and hardcore the "normal" mode?[/quote]

I'm playing on hardcore, it's pretty freaking tough. I'm not really the best at these games though. The good thing is there are short little battles, then you hit a checkpoint so it's not so tedious to replay after you die. Your game also saves after each checkpoint so it's easy to come back later.

Haven't tried casual yet, but I bet I''ll switch to it later. You can switch between difficulties whenever you load the game.

Multiplayer is fun too, and tough. You really have to keep cover, keeps things really tense. It's a nice change from Halo 2/other shooters.

I'm playing on Casual just because its the "default" difficulty. I want to enjoy the experience at a good pace, and will left myself be "frustrated" at the higher difficulty after I've beaten the game. Casual is a pretty good difficulty, though I can't believe I died already (damn Locust flanked me).

Reviewers weren't kidding. You CANNOT play this game like Halo. I tried and got raped. You can't take damage like Master Chief and you must stay behind and take cover at times.

And I still cannot believe the graphics. Seeing this game in HD and in motion is just amazing. Even the cheesy voice acting is PERFECT for this game.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Question:

Are you guys playing it on casual or hardcore? And, should I see the casual as the "easy" mode and hardcore the "normal" mode?[/QUOTE]

That's what everyone is saying.

If things get too tough, you can change the difficulty whenever you feel like it, basically.

[quote name='Apossum']Finished Act I in about 45 minutes...

the whole scene with the berserker felt a lot like RE4.

the gameplay and setting reminds me a lot of RE4....except on crack, completely post-apocalyptic and infinitely deeper.[/quote]

I was on the edge of my seat during that part it was fucking great :)

I already need help. Please check the spoiler. It doesn't go past act 1. Thats all I know.

Okay, I dropped my hammer of dawn right before the berserker so I could pick up a shotgun. Now I can't kill the damn thing. Did anyone else do this?

[quote name='jughead']I already need help. Please check the spoiler. It doesn't go past act 1. Thats all I know.

Okay, I dropped my hammer of dawn right before the berserker so I could pick up a shotgun. Now I can't kill the damn thing. Did anyone else do this?
[/quote]

There's two on the ground right at the start of that scene.

[quote name='Apossum']the gameplay and setting reminds me a lot of RE4....except on crack, completely post-apocalyptic and infinitely deeper.[/QUOTE]
And people said I was "retarded" for saying Gears of War was a hybrid mixture of Resident Evil 4, Ghost Recon and Unreal Tournament.

it's disappointing to see all these people are having trouble with online play.

i love playing the Splinter Cell: DA online, but the server is so shitty that i stopped and now i'm waiting for a patch.

While I think the game is fantastic, I do have one complaint - the "A" button doing several things (hide, run, jump, etc.) is VERY frustrating. Sometimes it will make me run when I want to take cover, and sometimes it makes me take cover when I want to run - now I'm sure that once I get used to it I won't have these problems, but it's frustrating now... ...Otherwise this is the best game I've played in a long time

[quote name='jcp4322']is anyone else having trouble connecting online? I can't connect with anyone to play co-op or vs[/QUOTE]
supposedly the servers are getting updated at 12a as tmorrow is supposed to be the earliest release day.
thats internet bullshit so dont shoot me if im wrong.

I was playing on Hardcore and it seems very tough. Maybe becuase I suck and dont even melee very good. Playing areas several times due to deaths.

Played just enough single player to get the hang of things and then went to 4x4 Live. Figured day one is my best opportunity to play actual gamers online as oppossed to racially intolerant ten year olds.

I was wrong - and was immediately annoyed by someone. Then I cut his face in two with a chainsaw. I can live with that trade-off.

Hardcore is a good challenge, not too easy and not too hard.

I've found 3 tags through Act 1. Just starting on Act 2 now.

Played a bit of multi...made sure my first kill was a chainsaw to the face!

I have a couple questions about multiplayer. Does the game have voice proximity meaning I have to hear the opposing team? Is there an option to mute the opposing team beyond going into each persons profile and muting them one at a time?

so far the multiplayer is very solid. No lag that I can see unlike Crappy ass saints row. And the matchmaking doesnt take years.

[quote name='TC']I have a couple questions about multiplayer. Does the game have voice proximity meaning I have to hear the opposing team? Is there an option to mute the opposing team beyond going into each persons profile and muting them one at a time?[/quote]As far as I can tell its only your teammates can hear you, and they can hear you whenever as well. No need to press a button for team talk. I'm not sure if the other team just wasn't talking but I was unable to hear them aside from in the lobby.

Definately a fucking awesome game. Its what Halo should have always been. Halo 1 and 2 were both fucking pathetic and this blows it away. Great story so far definite contender for game of the year.

got it at Gamecrazy tonight, they were selling without preorders. so fucking awesome, been playing Coop with my roommates for the last 4? 5? hours, fuck i dunno, it's amazing.

[quote name='Maynard']Definately a fucking awesome game. Its what Halo should have always been. Halo 1 and 2 were both fucking pathetic and this blows it away. Great story so far definite contender for game of the year.[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back.[/QUOTE]

Jesus is not happy with takebacks

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back.[/quote]

Dude Halo 1 and 2 are for 12 year olds.

Gears of War is for fucking men, men who fuck mothers.

[quote name='Maynard']Dude Halo 1 and 2 are for 12 year olds.

Gears of War is for fucking men, men who fuck mothers.[/quote]

Gears of War is great, but it's no Halo. You'll regret saying that next November.

[quote name='Maynard']Definately a fucking awesome game. Its what Halo should have always been. Halo 1 and 2 were both fucking pathetic and this blows it away. Great story so far definite contender for game of the year.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Halo is solid, but it gets old when all people do is strafe and fire. Gears adds a decent element of strategy. I also appreciate the "life bar" in Gears. By placing it on your crosshair it remove obstructions from the screen, which allow for a more immersive environment for the gamer. I honestly am not even looking forward to Halo 3 now thanks to Gears. Way to go Cliffy B I can't wait for Gears 2.

[quote name='neudog']I agree. Halo is solid, but it gets old when all people do is strafe and fire. Gears adds a decent element of strategy. I also appreciate the "life bar" in Gears. By placing it on your crosshair it remove obstructions from the screen, which allow for a more immersive environment for the gamer. I honestly am not even looking forward to Halo 3 now thanks to Gears. Way to go Cliffy B I can't wait for Gears 2.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But they're two different sub-genres of shooting.

Guys just my opinion I personally think halo sucks asshole. Its generic and boring. Just my opinion. Chill out. Always was a Half Life guy anyway.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah. But they're two different sub-genres of shooting.[/QUOTE]

I realize that, but from a shooter standpoint Halo has nothing on Gears. Now if Bungie gives us the option of an over the shoulder view they would be heading in the right direction. I'm glad to see that Capcom is not the only company that can pull off a kick ass title with the over the shoulder view. I just find it funny that the only game close to being a Halo Killer is not on a SONY system. Maybe the new Killzone will be the next best thing in FP/OTS shooters....:rofl:

[quote name='Maynard']Guys just my opinion I personally think halo sucks asshole. Its generic and boring. Just my opinion. Chill out. Always was a Half Life guy anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well I think you might've instigated some flaming since you bashed the Halo series without any real reasoning...and you said its for 12 year olds, and now you said it sucks asshole.

That being said, Halo 1 and Halo 2, when played competitively is up there with Counter-Strike for me. After playing Halo 1 and Halo 2 for the better part of 3 and a half years, and learning all the maps, the button glitches, learning how to cover teammates, knowing the timing of weapon respawns, those games are multi-player bliss.

[quote name='Maynard']Dude Halo 1 and 2 are for 12 year olds.

Gears of War is for fucking men, men who fuck mothers.[/QUOTE]
I have had sex with moms and I love Halo 2. GoW is awesome, no doubt, but it ain't no Halo.

I'm jealous of the CAG'ers that have the game already.

I pre-ordered at EB, so I hope they get their copies in before 3-4pm today. I'd like to get some play time in after I get home from work.

[quote name='zewone'] GoW is awesome, no doubt, but it ain't no Halo.[/QUOTE]

Good thing too. If it was the chainsaw would lock on to you from 10 feet away, your starting weapon would be a BB gun, the boomshot would lock on to you + follow you around corners, and the sniper rifle would have 4 shots in addition to a huge amount of auto aim.

I'm half kidding. Halo is great and I play it all of the time. The problem is that they get so many things right and then make stupid little mistakes that almost ruin the game. Whomever balanced the weapons in Gears of War really needs to take a field trip to Bungie and show them how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back