Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

[quote name='GUNNM']Horde just got stale in both games whether it had upgrades or no upgrades. How can you like the guns in 2? How could you even use them that game was almost unplayable online. 3>2 all day. lol smoke grenades that launched you[/QUOTE]

Well i prefer Gears 2 over Gears 3 for many reasons. Less bullshit is one. No OP retro or SOS. No mantle kicks. No stupid ink stun. Rifles were less powerful. Gorgon pistol was actually useful and one of my favorite guns. Im probably forgetting a few things. But overall it just seemed better, and less bullshit. I really liked a lot of the maps too.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I love Gears 2 horde as well (though not as much as 3's horde). more vulnerable? the big problem I had with Gears 2 was the shields were practically invincible. plant them and you're basically safe. every map had a certain design where if you plant them at the right places, you only had a couple things to worry about. In 3, it's much harder to have a set plan that you can execute throughout all the waves.[/QUOTE]

But it still took team work to use those shields, and stop them from disappearing. You couldnt always survive on one shield. Other than that there was nothing protecting you.

I think Horde might have had a lasting a appeal in 3, for me, if it had Join-In-Progress. It really killed it when one person would leave before round 10. At least in 2 with social games it would last as long as the host stayed in the game, since new players could come in to replace those that left. That's probably why people prefer 2 to 3, since the Horde matches tended to actually last. Making so that only friends could come in really hurt the progress of Horde.

Like I said earlier; the more they change a mode, the more it doesn't work.

Also there is more dysfunction in gears 3 horde. You got teammates that quit after setting up the first command post, or people fighting over the silverback, then you have people stealing your command center. Its just too much crap teammates can do that take the fun and the main goal out of the mode. Of course you can avoid that if you have people on your friends list that are mature.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Weird, from the way Epic talked so much about Infinity Blade it seemed like it was a successful franchise.

It's not just that, but other issues with it. The Horde Command Pack was definitely supposed to come with new copies of the game, like the Flashback Maps did with Gears of War 2. Clearly they realized that 3 DLCs in a Season Pass was much harder to sell than 4 DLCs, so they pulled it. Also, Horde Command Pack is already on the disc, but they justified it by claiming it was so that the weapon and character skins were able to be seen by all players, even though the character skins were mostly already in the Campaign, and so they should have been available to everyone to begin with.

Also, the Horde Command Pack withheld some content from Horde, so it was incomplete, and reset peoples Silverback progress when it was released.

Lamest of all with that pack, was that it came with extra maps. After a few weeks, these maps were added into the rotation online, since they were already on disc, meaning that people who didn't buy the DLC could play them still in matchmaking, further insulting those who bought it.

I have no complaints about Raam's Shadow, except for that it was a better Campaign than Gears of War 3, which is sad for an expansion to be better and fit more with the theme of a game series than an actual title for it.

Fenix Rising was sort of bland, and I'm surprised they brought back Escalation, as it was an uneven map.

Forces of Nature was okay, but the big deal with it was that it included a slightly altered Guardian. That was literally the hype of that map pack, which was stupid to begin with. They removed one of the most popular playlists from Gears of War 2 (like Horde in Gears of War Judgment), with no real justification. Their excuse was that "people will love Capture the Leader," which they didn't, and the drop in that playlist was steep from release.

People on their forums demanded Guardian back, and Epic claimed it was literally impossible to bring back. The number of people playing multiplayer was greatly declining, since they worked to butcher their game, and added a bandaid with a quick mod to capture the leader, making it play slightly like Guardian.

(Expect to see this with Judgment if the multiplayer number steeply decline from release.)

The bigger fiasco was the 1 day sale on the Season Pass around Christmas. The last two DLC packs hadn't even released yet, and Raam's Shadow had just come out. The Season Pass was advertised as the best discount on all of the DLC content yet to release, yet that was not true. A Season Pass is a preorder on content, and to have a sale on it when it's not even completely released yet is an insult to your fans. Everyone who had purchased it prior to that day should have at least received the last two packs on sale, since they paid for the initial 2 packs.

Other issues were that game boldly stated dedicated servers on the back of the game case, with no asterisk behind it mentioning the need for all content. But if you wanted the chance to play on potentially smooth playlists (there was no guarantee of a dedicated server when you joined a match), you needed all the DLC by at least the 3rd DLC release.

And, after the release of the last DLC, they pretty much abandoned support of the game. Aside from putting everyone at 29/30 events played for War Supporter because of their own laziness, it's been lackluster with any real interest from Epic.

They have increased the XP recently, though, to encourage returns to the game to hype Judgment.

(Another issue with the game was the useless Event Calendar that only told you to "Buy More SHIT!" It never actually told you about actual events, which would have helped the community with War Supporter.)

It just had a lot of potential, but was fairly disappointing. If they hadn't have hyped it so much, it wouldn't have been so bad. But it just wasn't as grand as they made it seem. If they hadn't have had the Season Pass, I wouldn't have minded them having as sale on content after it was released. It's the idea that only a few months after the Season Pass comes out that they have a sale on it, that it becomes a true insult to the people who actually play your game.

I really wish they had a Classic Mode, that also had Join-in-Progress. I'd rather have less characters, and weapon skins (that actually meant something, rather than were just additional purchases), to allow for me to Join-in-Progress with my character skin. And the 'Tower Defense' of Horde just didn't work. Either somebody would buy a Silverback, hogging kills (intentionally or unintentionally), causing people to quit due to little to no kills, no money made, and little progress in rank or defense levels, or people would hold their money, barely using it, so that you'd be overrun with no defenses. And teh Silverback guy would beg you for money to repair their Silverback at higher levels.

Horde in Gears of War 2 just felt 'better.' Hold a spot, defend it with shields and firepower, and survive. This whole, spend money, invest in bases, rebuy when you die felt...odd. I did like the boss waves, though. Just a neat way to make Wave 10 more intense.

If anyone did play the weekend(s) they had Classic Horde, the new setup didn't work with Classic Horde mode. Shields disappeared literally at the end of a wave because there was no longer the pause between waves. Enemies climbed over cover and knocked down shields, so it was much harder to hold them back. They would have needed to have two completely different setups for a Classic Horde to work.

I just feel like the more the edit and alter, the more I don't like it. Adding new modes, like Beast Mode, is fine, but keep things the way they were.[/QUOTE]

Good post. Makes me a little upset about Epic again now that i was reminded.

I gave up on Horde mode after just a couple of days after release. That shit got frustrating.

I didn't even know about the season pass discount. ffs.

The whole Event Calendar thing was just weird. How hard would it have been to keep it current? Seems like it would have taken some junior staffer 5 minutes to create a new entry. They could have updated it every day. Yet they never did.

I'm gonna preorder my copy at Best Buy. Reading the tea leaves on this release, it has price drop written all over it. GCU $20 cert with PM protection I predict will be the best deal out there after March is over.

Guess thats why Walmart is offering Gears 2 or 3, since they have no pre order skin. I just pre ordered mine from MS store. 1600 free points, and alex brand, i think ill take that. Hopefully the game will ship 1 day like the last time they offered these free 1600 pts.

Luckily I won Judgement on that Lipton tea text deal, but I have it already preordered at MS store. Guess I'll pick it up and hope the code is on the receipt

[quote name='dennisb407']Yea, the skins come from Gamestop,Amazon, and MS store[/QUOTE]
And the Gears of War 3 Anya skin from Best Buy.

Gamestop has the imulsion weapon skin, if people want a unique skin.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']And the Gears of War 3 Anya skin from Best Buy.

Gamestop has the imulsion weapon skin, if people want a unique skin.[/QUOTE]

Thank you I didn't know about the Anya skin, I thought BB was only doing those $20 gift certificates

It sure would be nice if Gears 3 character and gun skins carried over into Judgment. Engender some goodwill with the fans, which Epic seems to need right now. And there's probably no technical reason they couldn't since the games are built on the same engine.

I have the Green Liquid Metal, Haze, Imulsion, Infected Omen, Lightning, and Rainbow skins downloaded. It would be nice if i could use them in Judgment. They probably wouldnt work on the classic hammerburst gun though. Then again they dont look that much different in shape. But other than that, yeah i dont see why they couldnt implement it. Unless they have more gun skins waiting to sell.

I did see that physical lancer that looks like a taxi cab design for sale. I think that was one of the designs someone at epic forums made, and i could see that being for sale in Judgment.

Supposedly some GameStops are doing midnight launches, but it seems to be up to the manager. It's disappointing because overseas seems like a few outlets are offering custom steel cases or bundles, but in the US we're just getting the game. Maybe as the date gets under a month other bonuses could be offered. Unlikely, but maybe as a marketing push for pre-orders?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Got a tweet about this Oberto/Facebook promo for a Tai skin:
http://epicgames.com/community/2013/02/tai-unlock-code-on-specially-marked-oberto-jerky-bags/[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post this too. Though I thought the Lipton promo was the Tai skin even though it says Baird.

bg-gow-likeus.jpg

That's weird I go into my download history and there's no mention of Tai anywhere, just says "Gears 3 Baird Mulitplayer Character"

[quote name='dennisb407']That's weird I go into my download history and there's no mention of Tai anywhere, just says "Gears 3 Baird Mulitplayer Character"[/QUOTE]

If you go into your storage where you saved it, there will be a Judgment save, and it will say Jungle Tai.

First Gears game I won't be picking up at launch... feels kinda weird, but I refuse to pay full price after they've taken out so much. Maybe its also the fact that its a prequel. If they do to Gears 4 what they're doing to Judgment I'd still get it at launch, just to see the continuation of the story. I still find it weird that Judgment hasn't done any marketing. The whole situation seems fishy.

I dont think ill regret buying it. Hopefully the campaign is pretty long and fun. Thats what i care about most. I already dont expect much from MP, but maybe ill end up liking it. But the changes they made, its going to be hard. Especially when its Cog vs Cog, so dumb.

I'm getting day one too. I'm sure I'll love the campaign, and I'm not that into the versus multiplayer anyway. It's too bad that there's no Horde mode but it's not like Gears 3 Horde is going away.

Gears of War Judgment Kilo Squad Edition (GS Exclusive in the UK): :roll:

• Gears of War: Judgment game (of course)
  • 18cm Baird action figure
  • Cog tag necklace
  • Hammerburst DLC
  • Emergence Day Marcus character skin
  • Limited time offer: code to download the original Gears of War
gow_judgment_kilo_edition.jpg

I know it isn't anything overly exciting but dammit why no US :bomb:

[quote name='WV Matsui']Just saw where it leaked to torrent sites....[/QUOTE]

Just as a warning to all, Microsoft will ban anyone they catch playing it with their console connected to Live.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Not feeling the Cog vs Cog still, and the health nades seem dumb. I have a feeling i wont play this games MP that long.

LP, there arent any executions.[/QUOTE]

I think there is...look at the viddler 25-26s mark, there's a Sniper Execution being performed.

----

I'm liking the skins!

[quote name='The 7th Number']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wFPJxyduY[/QUOTE]
1:05!

I made one "slightly" like that for a contest over a year ago on the Gears Forums, though mine didn't look that smooth and was just grey and white for a Great White, instead blue and green at the end. I even had the white chainsaw occasionally going red for the "blood" effect.

I want to use that! But it costs credits! Bah!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']Not feeling the Cog vs Cog still, and the health nades seem dumb. I have a feeling i wont play this games MP that long.[/QUOTE]

COG vs UIR, but you probably meant the same thing anyway...
http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Wars

which is actually very Star Wars'ish...
so you're a Separatist? but now a Rebel? And now the Republic is the true enemy?! whoa there...

[quote name='The 7th Number']Check this video out, shows skins, and character skins. Idk how you will tell red cog and blue cog apart if you have special skins going on.

I like the skeleton skins, and a few other body skins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wFPJxyduY[/QUOTE]

nice! thanks, 7th#.

that's one great preview!! love the character skins; even some of the weapon skins, but micro-transactions...!? [runs away]

[quote name='Mospeada_21']COG vs UIR, but you probably meant the same thing anyway...
http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Wars

which is actually very Star Wars'ish...
so you're a Separatist? but now a Rebel? And now the Republic is the true enemy?! whoa there...[/QUOTE]

Well i hope its something different. I dont want to see Red Baird killing Blue Baird. If the red and blue teams actually have different characters then i think i can get used to that and know who is on my team, and who is the enemy a little easier.

EDIT: after watching the trailer again it doesnt seem to be the case. Same characters are red and blue. -_-

Yeah im glad one of the skeleton body skins are actually unlockable. Thats one that i really like.

EDIT: I wonder if the character skins are only good with FFA, that seems like the only time i see them wearing any.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know i was playing some Gears 3 today and thought about it, i do kind of hate playing as Locust. Maybe Cog vs Cog isnt so bad. I just hope its easy to tell which team a player is on. It was different in Gears 1 and 2 when most of the characters had similar hit boxes. But in Gears 3 you have big, medium, and small characters now, with most of the medium and small characters being on the Cog side. I just generally dont like the idea of say a baird killing another baird from the other team. But in the end it really doesnt matter, MP isnt cannon or supposed to be realistic i guess, just supposed to be fun.

I wonder how much those character skins will cost. I like the skeletal one but thats unlocked in campaign. I could also see me getting the Zombie, Deadly Cute, Super Hero... well they are hard to really see on youtube. Plus i wonder if you can check them out on other characters. It would be neat to have a clan who all use the same character skin. Like 5 guys using inmate. LOL.

bread's done
Back