General Indie Gaming Thread - Support Indie Gaming, Buy Canabalt on iPhone

This is very good in terms of concept... go play!

scan-sector.jpg

http://www.ratloop.com/?games/mightier

[quote name='heavyd853']Minotaur China shop looks hilarious.[/quote]

it is and plays just the same in a good way. so good. I love it to death. it's a browser game so no real big installs.

I saw this on gaf... it looks hella cool so I gotta find somewhere to put it for future reference.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0

Spelunky v0.98.1

spelunky_screen.png

Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society, I call this story... SPELUNKY! This is my latest game release and my first Game Maker game.

Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that its (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike. In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!). If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.

But yeah, I'll leave it to you to decide whether I got the mix right or failed miserably! The game is not quite v1.0, but it has most of the elements that I wanted to get in. Hope you enjoy it, and I am eagerly awaiting your feedback, whether it's good, bad, or frickin' beautiful. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't break!

Many, many thanks to the beta testers, without whom this would not have been possible! Seriously, they contributed a ton of feedback, bug reports, and ideas to the game. If it wasn't for the constant tears in their eyes from my cruel lashes, I might have thought they even enjoyed it a bit. And thanks, ChevyRay, for letting me use your nifty screen-scaling code. Once I got it to work, it worked pretty beautifully.

saw this on gaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348422

[quote name='GDJustin']Eversion is a freeware platform game, available for download here. I wrote up the following, for http://todaysfreegame.com/ :

screenie-300x225.png

To say that Eversion isn’t the platformer it initially appears to be is a bit of an understatement. I feel that the entire experience is much more impactful if the player goes into it not really knowing too much about what they’re getting into (as I did), so I suggest you just hit the download link above and run through it (it’s only about seven levels) before coming back and reading this write-up. All you really need to know is that the platforming gameplay itself is very solid, and the sugary-sweet title screen and first few levels are pretty goddamn heavy misdirection.

The game was created for TIGSource’s Commonplace Book Competition, and was inspired by the Lovecraft quote “sounds - possibly musical - heard in the night from other worlds or realms of being.” The creator describes his game as “A cute platformer with a dark secret.”

The core platforming gameplay is familiar - run, jump on enemies’ heads, collect gems, etc. The hook is that you also have access to an “everse” button. At specific points in a level the music will change and the background will fade a little. This is your cue that you can “everse” into a parallel version of the same level. The layout remains basically the same, but you might now be able to step on clouds instead of passing through them, or break blocks that were previously unbreakable. The mechanic introduces some light puzzle elements, as you might need to everse to the proper phase of a stage to collect some tricky gems.

The mechanic also introduces what makes Eversion so damn creepy. It seems like every time you everse, you’re taken to a world that’s a little more… well… Lovecraftian. It starts out subtle - in Stage 1, the flowers might be wilted and dying instead of happy and cheery. It very quickly becomes not-so-subtle:

http://todaysfreegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/picture-102-300x225.png

http://todaysfreegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/picture-121-300x225.png

As the landscapes become more hellish, so too do the other elements of the game. The gameplay becomes more than difficult - it gets downright tricky and mean. The music becomes considerably more foreboding. The little “Ready!!” message that appears before a stage begins changes to “I see you.” at one point, which I found especially disconcerting, for some reason.

I think the reason Eversion’s creepiness stuck with me longer than more traditional horror titles is because it really is a gradual descent. There’s no shock scares, here. Just a slow realization of what’s going on, as you progress through the levels.[/QUOTE]

so much crap I needa play... almost done with Persona tho lol

Paper Moon was interesting, but incomplete, I think. There's no included music, for one thing, and I'm not particularly sure there's an ending or a goal.
They say it's about a boy and his moon, and yet, the moon gets very little attention, and you always have that horrid timer (I absolutely hate time limits in most games) screaming at you. Furthermore, the popping mechanic seemed pretty underutilized and anything involving it was quite simple.

I also don't own 3D glasses. :(

Despite all Paper Moons problems, I'm looking forward to Marian. The art is fantastic.

[quote name='pete5883']I tried eversion last night, but I got stuck and frustrated and gave up.[/QUOTE]
What stage?

Beat Noitu Love 2 today. Loved it. :)

I would have beaten Noitu Love 1 first, except my CPU would probably commit suicide before I finished it.

Noiyu Love is easy to play and beat,

but it's hard to get good scores... mostly coz I'm not a PC gamer and am not used to the whole WASD control scheme

[quote name='pete5883']I went back to eversion and got the bad ending. It was aiight.[/QUOTE]

Now get all the gems.

I can't figure out what to do in the Charles Barkley RPG.

I get past the opening cinematic, go to Chin's shop, talk to everyone, and...nothing happens. Any tips?

[quote name='JEKKI']ah. I looked up a faq, did u go to the church??

your homies are waiting for u there.[/QUOTE]

Got it. I had tried going onto the church before, but I was trying to walk in through a window, which looked like a door. The door looks like a boarded up window though. #-o

Thanks, JEKKI. :]

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah, I don't enjoy it enough to go back to it.[/QUOTE]

You're missing out on the better ending.

I can't believe how connected I'm getting to the characters in the Charles Barkley RPG. :rofl:
I get chills when Charles meets up with former ballers, and especially when they're ghosts who died in the purge. It's so sad. :[

What a fantastic game.

dood I saw that! City Rain looks awesome!!

anyway I beat Braid last nite, but I heard there are hidden stars u needa get to get the real ending or something...

since I finished Persona, it's good to play a lot of small games now...

I'ma play one of my most backlogged indie games of all time... Eternal Daughter

I think I started that game in like 2003 lol

[quote name='Doomed']I want to play Tag, but my PC is too ghetto.[/QUOTE]

I just tried out Tag, and it's a pretty fun little paint puzzler. It kinda reminds me of Portal.

yes, Knytt is on my backlog, I have heard that it is one of the best platformers ever.

EVER.

not sure which one tho...

So, I dug up this thread to try out some of the indie games posted and I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Also thought I'd contribute, and tell everyone to download Little Fighter 2. It's a multiplayer brawler/beat em up with local and internet play.

[quote name='SL4IN']So, I dug up this thread to try out some of the indie games posted and I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Also thought I'd contribute, and tell everyone to download Little Fighter 2. It's a multiplayer brawler/beat em up with local and internet play.[/quote]

nice! never seen that one! I'll try it out :) thx

I want to update this thread more but I've been and will be very busy for a while.

bread's done
Back