General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='pete5883']Radiata Stories was kind of :puke: for me.
zzzz story + :baby: characters = thumbs down.[/QUOTE]

Raditia Stories was kind of barfy to everyone. Hit metacritic, gamerankings and gamefaqs. Both the critics and the average gamer agree its below average at best. Only people I have seen like it are people that have a habit of liking games like it and Saga that are below average and really quirky/outside the main stream(kind of like kids that say every movie but a C ranked horror movie is bad).

Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.

[quote name='Jest']Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.[/QUOTE]

Meh it was ok, I still have it in my collection and played it not that long ago. Was another C game from the era but it atleast aged better then many others.

[quote name='Jest']Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.[/quote]
I rented that years ago and had some fun with it.

[quote name='Jest']Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was great when it came out, but probably only a decent game at this point.

Double post but who cares!

I just beat Persona 4 and it is definitely one of my favorite games to have come out last year. By beat I do mean True Ending as well as seeing the others either by game or youtube.

I just got a weird email from Atlus. All it contained was a single image of a shadow standing against a wall that said Shin Megami Tensei. Hopefully this is an early annoucnement of Persona 5 ;)

Image I spoke of. Personally I think it looks like the Kool Aid Man OOOOO YEAH!
untitled_b.jpg

hey, actual gameplay this time!
what type of battle system did it look like to you guys?

are the following any good:
Mana Khemia
Ar Tonelico
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris 1-3
?

[quote name='sundaysuit']hey, actual gameplay this time!

Mana Khemia
Ar Tonelico
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris 1-3
?[/QUOTE]

Strangely I've played everything up there and it just depends on the person.

[quote name='Jest']Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.[/quote]

I loved that game so much when I rented it around the time of release, but I couldn't find it for ever!

Same thing happened with final fantasy tactics, until it went to greatest hits.

[quote name='Jest']View Post
Do you guys remember Threads of Fate? Was that game every bit as awesome as I remember it? Wish I could get my hands on it again.[/quote]

I beat that game a year ago. Like most early 3d games, it aged horribly. The visual are eye sore. Camera is ok at best. It's still fun to play, but not as great as it used to be. The same goes for Brave Fencer Musashi.

Mana Khemia
Ar Tonelico
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris 1-3
?[/QUOTE]

Those are all Gust games. I don't know why you dump in Makai Kingdom. Perhaps, listing games published by NIS? As for combat, it all depends on your taste. For most part, the later ones like Mana Khemia refine mechanics and combat system. The most noticeable change in later installment is the pick up of raw materials for alchemy. In old versions, you have to press x to pick them up. In newer version, raw materials are automatically added to your inventory when you walk on them.

I don't remember the combat system for Atelier Iris 1 or 2. The last time I play those games was near release date. In Atelier Iris 3, there is team gauge meter for magical attacks. You can fill the gauge by attacking enemies, taking advantage of their weakness or take damage. Ar Tonelico you can junction vary skills or abilities to your equipment. During combat, there's a summoner by your side. Summoners can give varies effects that will aid you in battle. Mana Khemia is more similar to Final Fantasy X. You can switch you party on fly, and skill/stat boosting system is similar to sphere grid, except you need the power of alchemy to unlock various abilities.

I started Atelier Iris but it didn't grab me in the first couple hours so I dumped it.

Isn't Makai Kingdom kind of like Phantom Brave and Stella Deus?

Mana Khemia
Ar Tonelico
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris 1-3
?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Mana Khemia actually put me to sleep. No game has done that before.

What RPGs are you guys playing now?

Right now I'm at the end of Eternal Sonata. I think the concept is great but the story is horrendous. It's very linear which isn't a bad thing but I normally when they skimp on exploration the focus is moved torwards the story. But this was not the case. I feel like halfway through the story took a hiatus.

[quote name='Rodimus']What RPGs are you guys playing now?

Right now I'm at the end of Eternal Sonata. I think the concept is great but the story is horrendous. It's very linear which isn't a bad thing but I normally when they skimp on exploration the focus is moved torwards the story. But this was not the case. I feel like halfway through the story took a hiatus.[/QUOTE]

I just started Mass Effect and I am thinking of doubling it up with The world ends without you. Not sure if I will though since Mass Effecti is supposed to be a huge time sink and I am already playing Peggle Nights, Civ Revolution and Beautiful Katamari on the side....and space invaders extreme(almost forgot that one).

Anyone else find they cant replay RPGs the way they used to? I started Star Ocean 2 on the PSP when it came out the other day and lost interest in the first half hour. I used to LOVE that game and played it like 30 times over a few years(no exaggeration I really probably did play it like 20-30 times). Same thing has happened with FFIV, CT and a lot of other games. I don't think its that they haven't held up over time either....think I just cant replay games anymore.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone else find they cant replay RPGs the way they used to? I started Star Ocean 2 on the PSP when it came out the other day and lost interest in the first half hour. I used to LOVE that game and played it like 30 times over a few years(no exaggeration I really probably did play it like 20-30 times). Same thing has happened with FFIV, CT and a lot of other games. I don't think its that they haven't held up over time either....think I just cant replay games anymore.[/quote]
I never really replayed RPGs all that much. Off the top of my head I can only thing of 5 I have done that with. The most recent one was Mass Effect.

I don't give too many RPGs a second run through. With that said I think I played Chrono Trigger the most. Must've beatin' that about 6 or 7 times.

Couldn't imagine playing Star Ocean 2 more the twice. Too much grinding.

The ones that seem the easiest to play are action RPGs. I find as I get older I like the action based games more and more and turn based less and less. They just keep things going at a much faster pace.

The only RPG I ever played through twice is FF7.

Although I am thinking of hunting down a copy of Final Fantasy X International and playing through it again.

Does anyone know if someone is going to translate 12 International?

I find it hard enough to beat a RPG once, let alone twice. Usually I shelve it and come back later and have no idea what's going on.

So I'm playing FFXII right now- I'm through the Feywood and at the wall/gate sealed by magic with all the heiroglyphs on the ground. Anyone know how far in I am? Halfway? Just wondering.

I've replayed many RPGs several times; FF7 at least 4-5 times, FFXII twice, Persona 3 three times, Chrono Trigger twice, Golden Sun 1/2 three times, etc.

I'll replay RPGs after a few years. In 2007-2008 I replayed all the classic Final Fantasy series, from 1-9. In 2006 I can remember replaying Lufia 1 and 2 on my SNES. Often, I'll replay a game that I liked that has been remade, like Dragon Quest IV and Chrono Trigger for the DS. I've replayed several srategy-RPGs within the last couple years, like Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on the GBA and Gladius on the Cube.

A couple of RPGs that I've beaten within the last few years that I'm looking forward to replaying in a year or three are Tales of Symphonia and Persona 3.

I rarely beat RPGs more than once. I've tried, but I usually end up not finishing it.

The only RPG I've beat twice is Riviera: The Promised Land. I think it's because it's impossible to randomly stop and wander off in that game. For example, of the 93 hours I've sunk into Tales of Vesperia, I think 27 of that came after I walked away from the entrance to the final boss to go do sidequests and get achievements. I have a tendency to do that in any game, which probably causes burnout.

[quote name='sundaysuit']
Mana Khemia
Ar Tonelico
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris 1-3
?[/quote]

If you're going to try any, the best of those would be Atelier Iris 1 or Mana Khemia. Makai Kingdom is also good, although it's a different type of game from the other five.

I compare these games to Madden. If you play any of these games for a few hours and enjoy it, beat the game, and still enjoy it, then you're probably safe picking up any and/or all of them in the same way that a Madden gamer buys the new version every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the games I've replayed are ones with New Game+. For most games, if I'm going to do 2 playthroughs, I do them consecutively and move on. I guess it's mainly because I want to see and get everything from a game rather than an actual desire to experience the same game again.

Although I like Pokemon and that essentially is replaying the same game over and over again.

I can't imagine replaying games nowadays though just due to the sheer volume of games coming out.

FFVII: 6-7 times
FFVIII: probably 5
X: 3?
XII: once

I didn't get alot of games when I was younger, FFVIII was a birthday present and VII was a random pickup by my mom with xenogears and marvel superheroes. Must have been a badass sale.

My mom kicks ass!

RPGs I'm playing now. Working on Persona 3 FES still. Started it back at the end of December/early January and kinda got side tracked. Now I've picked it back up and hope to stick with it. After that I'm planning to move onto Lost Odyssey.

As far as replaying RPGs go , I don't do it as much now , partly cause I don't think I've actually fully finished an RPG in a couple years , but in the past I have replayed quite a few.

FF4 , 6 , 7 and 8 have all been beaten several times. Chrono Trigger , and FFT as well. SMRPG I think I've beaten at least twice. Also the original Pokemon games (Red/Blue/Yellow).

Most of the games I owned at one point were all RPGs, so I had nothing to do but replay them all. Since I'm so used to it, it's really a matter of how good the game actually was.

I stopped midway through FFX though. I just couldn't do it.

[quote name='heavyd853']FFVII: 6-7 times
FFVIII: probably 5
X: 3?
XII: once

I didn't get alot of games when I was younger, FFVIII was a birthday present and VII was a random pickup by my mom with xenogears and marvel superheroes. Must have been a badass sale.

My mom kicks ass![/QUOTE]

Hehe ya I got FFVII for a birthday present as well. My mom picked me up from high school at lunch time and we went out to the mall and picked it up. I convinced her to let me miss the rest of the day of school so I could play......and then skipped the 2 days after that as well ;)

[quote name='keithp']So I'm playing FFXII right now- I'm through the Feywood and at the wall/gate sealed by magic with all the heiroglyphs on the ground. Anyone know how far in I am? Halfway? Just wondering.[/quote]
You're actually pretty near the end. There are like two more major dungeons after the Feywood.

After owning FF12 since release, i finally beat it a few minutes ago. Once you learn the gambit system, it really is one of the funnest games ive ever played. The first half is much slower then it should have been because i wasnt setting up my gambits properly, but i checked a guide on gamefaqs and i was way overpowered by the end of the game, level 54 or 55.

Huge A+++ and would love a spiritual successor to FF12 just so i can play another game with the gambit system.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You're actually pretty near the end. There are like two more major dungeons after the Feywood.[/QUOTE]

Ah, cool, thank you for that! I didn't think I was that close because I've only got 55 hours on my game, and I've heard of people spending upwards of 100 on it. I've still got most of the hunts left to do though.

I'd like to replay rpgs more than I do, but at the same time I want new games.

Right now I'm actually doing both. I've just barely started Mass Effect. Still getting used to the controls and gameplay, but the story looks awesome.

And the "old" game I'm replaying is the FF4 remake. Played through the original at least 4 times, and I never thought I would touch it again, but the remake is awesome so far(just passed the Antlion). The overhaul makes it just fresh enough to make me want to keep going. I wish FF6 and Chrono Trigger would've gotten the same treatment.

And I love ff12 as well. That is a game I want to go back and play, trying to use the gambits in a different way. Probly be a while before I do that though.

Beat Eternal Sonata this morning (thanks depascal22) Near the end it started falling apart. The story didn't wrap up nicley like I was hoping for, it left to much unexplained story. It got too preachy at the end, and while the dialog sounded intelligent it wasn't making any sense with what was going on. And ultimatly there was no great meaning for the journey. Was I saving the world?,,, I have no clue. Very little character development & interaction.

On the positive side it looked sharp, very colorful. The battle system was simple but I liked the fact that it wasn't complex. It's just nice to play a simple RPG every once & awhile. The music was always nice and I liked the concept of the story with a musical theme.

I just ordered ES for 22.00 shipped sealed on Half.com. I have been waiting to play this game for years and just ordered a 360 from Dell yesterday.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']After you play ES, get ToV and LO.

Those are the 3 best JRPGs on the 360.[/QUOTE]

I feel like you should probably just skip ES, though, because while those are the best 3 JRPGs on the 360, there are only 2 good JRPGs on the 360. And those would be ToV and LO.

[quote name='Chacrana']I feel like you should probably just skip ES, though, because while those are the best 3 JRPGs on the 360, there are only 2 good JRPGs on the 360. And those would be ToV and LO.[/quote]

I've been dying to play ES since it dropped in '07, $20 is a small price to pay to try it.

I'm going to get ToV, Infinite Undiscovery and SO 4.

I played Lost Odyssey and thought it was a mediocre FF VIII knockoff w/ Gears textures. I didn't hate it, but I would rather play the others first.

$20 for Eternal Sonata is a fine price. But I agree with Chac, Lost Odyssey & ToV are better games.

I liked Blue Dragon more than ES. It was more polished. However I wasn't a big fan of the characters. My 360 JRPG flow chart would be:
ToV > LO > BD > ES

I haven't played Last Remnent or Infinate Undiscovery yet.

I thought Eternal Sonata was interesting enough to spend the 40 or so hours I took to beat it. It was funny how when you beat a boss, they just...disappear. No dramatic dying speeches, no epic death scenes, they just die and that's it. Everyone treats them as if they never existed, and never speaks of them again.

[quote name='G33']I thought Eternal Sonata was interesting enough to spend the 40 or so hours I took to beat it. It was funny how when you beat a boss, they just...disappear. No dramatic dying speeches, no epic death scenes, they just die and that's it. Everyone treats them as if they never existed, and never speaks of them again.[/quote]

Maybe the characters are aware they're in a JRPG... giant monster bosses are just routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back