General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to jump in here and defend Eternal Sonata; while I'll agree 100% that the story was non-existent and really boring I thought the combat in the game was really fun and the world was really beautiful so those factors got me through the game even though the story didn't.

But that is kind of how I feel about almost all of the tri-Ace and tri-Crescendo games I've played, like Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean 3 both of those games I wasn't very fond of the stories but the combat was a blast. And even Baten Kaitos which I adore I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought the story was the ultimate cliche and kind of boring at times (though not even close to Eternal Sonata's level)... but the card battle system made up for that slight short coming, and again Baten Kiatos had a really beautiful world.

I got halfway through Eternal Sonata and ToV, and somewhat through SO4, and stopped. Still need to beat them, but no desire to. I will eventually, but damn, I got bored of them quick.
I beat LO though.

Damn, hurry up and bring "The Legend of Dragoon" to the PSN! And also, I want "Skies of Arcadia" from the Dreamcast to be part of that exclusive Sony contract with sega to bring some DC games to the PSN.

[quote name='icebeast']I'm gonna have to jump in here and defend Eternal Sonata; while I'll agree 100% that the story was non-existent and really boring I thought the combat in the game was really fun and the world was really beautiful so those factors got me through the game even though the story didn't.

But that is kind of how I feel about almost all of the tri-Ace and tri-Crescendo games I've played, like Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean 3 both of those games I wasn't very fond of the stories but the combat was a blast. And even Baten Kaitos which I adore I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought the story was the ultimate cliche and kind of boring at times (though not even close to Eternal Sonata's level)... but the card battle system made up for that slight short coming, and again Baten Kiatos had a really beautiful world.[/QUOTE]

I thought Valkyrie Profile's story was strong. It's one of the few JRPGs that wasn't a 60 hour long cliche. I love Norse Mythology.

Sonata's battle system is the games strong point, but there isn't much depth to it. Run up to an enemy, mash the attack button, and use special attacks occasionally. Still it was acceptable since it was flashy and simple. Sonata had the potential to be a great RPG but for whatever reason the developers decided to shit all over the story halfway through.

Man I can't wait to start Dragon Age, if the post office would ever deliver the fucking package! argh, so impatient...

So that's got my home RPG game covered, but just finished Mario and Luigi Partners in Time and Dragon Quest IV, so it's time for a new handheld RPG. Opintions?

Disgaea (PSP) (I think I'm at ~ Chapter 5-6?)
Persona (PSP) (Haven't played any SMT games other than ~ 1/2 of DDS1 and the Dreamcast FPS...)
Knights in the Nightmare (DS)

or track down (see reasoning below):
Riviera
Yggdra Union

Was leaning towards Knights in the Nightmare, but apparently its part of the same series as Riviera and Yggdra Union. Should I track down those on PSP first? Is there any kind of overarching story?

Thanks in advance!

YU, Riviera, and KitN are all part of a series called Dept. Heaven

their stories arent intertwined by any means... just they apparently all take place in the same world or universe...

plus each game plays so differently than each other, you should judge your choice on which game u think you will have the most fun with.

So I started KH 358/2 Days a week or two ago and decided I had been removed from the series long enough that my memory of key plot points were fuzzy. Given that I started replaying the first KH for the PS2 and I bought the PS2 version of CoM(I already owned/played the GBA one but want to try the PS2 version).

I am almost through KH now but im debating which game I should play next and was wondering what you guys think. I have played them all before(except the DS one ofcourse)so I am debating if i should jump into the DS one next since its next in the time line, or if I should go to Re: CoM since it was technically the next released.

So what order do you guys rec them in?

Demon's Souls=fun but definitely frustrating at times.

Or at least frustating for someone like me, who still runs n guns n GTA and wonders WHY they get killed so often.:D:roll:

But once you learn to sidestep the enemies initial attack(s) it's no problem.:D

Thanks for the input guys. Glad to hear Dept. Heaven games aren't story related, so I don't need to worry about any potential spoilers if I play them "out of order". I'll prolly jump back into Disgaea for now, and maybe start up whichever I can find first of YU and Riviera. KitN looks great, but since I've already got Disgaea going for my SRPG fix, I'll hold off.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the input guys. Glad to hear Dept. Heaven games aren't story related, so I don't need to worry about any potential spoilers if I play them "out of order". I'll prolly jump back into Disgaea for now, and maybe start up whichever I can find first of YU and Riviera. KitN looks great, but since I've already got Disgaea going for my SRPG fix, I'll hold off.[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind that I'd consider Yggdra Union far closer to a standard SRPG than KitN. Personally I thought KitN was by far the best of the three, followed by Riviera (which I could finish) and then YU (which is horrifically difficult on the GBA - so might be more enjoyable on PSP where there was some rebalancing).

I was in my local GS looking for a new RPG. After about 20 minutes I decided on Ar Tonelico II. The battle system is nice, reminds me of Valkyrie Profile. The story is a bit unusual, lots of sexual inuendos (Dive into me Croix, that sorta stuff). I remember hearing of a freeze that happens later in the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']I was in my local GS looking for a new RPG. After about 20 minutes I decided on Ar Tonelico II. The battle system is nice, reminds me of Valkyrie Profile. The story is a bit unusual, lots of sexual inuendos (Dive into me Croix, that sorta stuff). I remember hearing of a freeze that happens later in the game.[/QUOTE]
Sadly other than the battle system the game is vastly inferior to its prequel.

I think I'm finally going to get a PSP soon. I was looking on eBay to pick up a copy of Valkyrie Profile, and they're are two different covers. I know the one with Lenneth's upper body and head sorta cover. But, there was also ones with a cover similar to the PS1 release. Was this another regions cover, or what?

[quote name='Rodimus']I remember hearing of a freeze that happens later in the game.[/QUOTE]
I think there is another one that messes up you memory card as well.

About 6 hours in and not enjoying Ar Tonelico 2. The pace is too slow. Too many gameplay aspects that revolve around conversation (which I find boring) Battle is okay, but not enough of it when comapred to all the talking you do. Also I feel like a dirty old pervert when play it.

I can tell you the pace never picks up in it. They really went sim heavy in 2. The bugs you brought up happen with your save getting messed up while playing on a ps3 and the last boss special attack will freeze the game up, leaving you three turns to win ( which is really easy to do )

I have to admit that is not a game you want to be playing around your girl. I got more than a few odd looks and she will still bring it up when wanting to poke fun.

It's odd cause I love all the sim stuff in Persona 3 & 4, but in this it's just a complete bore. Are battles generally easy through the entire game? Once you launch the Reyvetail's attack it's over.

[quote name='Rodimus']About 6 hours in and not enjoying Ar Tonelico 2. The pace is too slow. Too many gameplay aspects that revolve around conversation (which I find boring) Battle is okay, but not enough of it when comapred to all the talking you do. Also I feel like a dirty old pervert when play it.[/QUOTE]
As I mentioned earlier, the game just isn't as good as the first one. No where near it in fact. I loved the first game, but was so disappointed in AT2.
[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Oh so it was only when playing it on a PS3? Maybe one day I'll get around to trying it.[/QUOTE]
It happens on a PS2 as well. The bugs are coded into the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']About 6 hours in and not enjoying Ar Tonelico 2. The pace is too slow. Too many gameplay aspects that revolve around conversation (which I find boring) Battle is okay, but not enough of it when comapred to all the talking you do. Also I feel like a dirty old pervert when play it.[/QUOTE]

Never played the second, but in the first, one of the girls is an 18 year old trapped in a 12 year old girl's body.

Hey guys, I've been informed by super programmer John that these insanely long threads are detrimental to site performance. I'm going to lock this one up and someone else can create a new one.

Going forward, lets lock these up and create new threads after 500 replies.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back