General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Poor2More']Magna Carta 2, they actually got this game right this time. I am enjoying this game so much, wayyyy better then the first. Character designs are on point this time, enviorments are lushed/details. I can recomend this KRPG with faith to the CAG community.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my buddy got this one a few days early and he's been playing it non-stop. He's a hardcore JRPG fan and he liked the previous game on the PS2 so he's loving this latest sequel.

Not really my type of game though. Going for Brutal Legend today.

[quote name='willardhaven']I did, I am probably going to get Fallout 3 sometime next year. I haven't even picked up Oblivion yet.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather get Oblivion, but Fallout is great too.
But I recommend starting with Oblivion first though, so you can get a hang of these loot, battle, etc. system.

I have way too many RPGs in my backlog right now. Loved Fallout 3 but was never fond of the DLC's. I got Oblivion from Goozex but for some reason I can't get fully into it like I did with Fallout.

I've recently went back to my PS2 and started up my Dragons Quest 8 game. I think I'm going to stick with this for a while as I love the art style and the story is just so much fun.

I've also been playing Kingdom Hearts DS. Finally finished with the tutorial section of the game and started the real type of missions.

So I was in Home Depot the other day looking for hearing protection. They were all out of stock in the normal area but the guy said to check the tool rental section. So I go in there and guess what music is playing? Scars of Time! In the tool rental section of Home Depot!

Ever since then, I've really had a hankering to play through Chrono Cross again.

currently playing fire emblem: sacred stones for GBA. started final fantasy xii three weeks ago; halfway through, but can't muster up the willpower to just plow through the rest.

oh - i beat persona 4 a month ago, and to tell you the truth, i had a lot of fun playing it, but the story/characters/ending felt slightly meh to me. i went 2/3 through persona 3 last summer and never finished it, and while its dungeons are certainly more frustrating and unforgiving than 4's, i think i enjoyed 3 as a whole more...perhaps the experience was just fresher then, that's all.

I'm excited for P3 Portable too. My only concern is whether or not the experience may be hurt in their streamlining of the game for the PSP.

does any1 kno what game this is supposed to be?

500x_091019-3d-boxes-7.jpg

not 3D Game Heroes... the box it's in the corner, what game is that??

also,

2akhis2.jpg

The first panel of that photo-comic is so true >_>

And sorry, don't know what game that is. That looks like the old Enix logo (the big "e") above the inset pic, though.

It called "The Portopia Serial Murder Case" (or Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken in Japan) I'm pretty sure that's the Box Art for the Famicom version. It's a detective type game where you type in clues, that sorta stuff. It was Pheonix Wright before Pheonix Wright so it was popular for it's time.

I think I might finally replay Tales of Vesperia soon. I was kind of holding off in hopes of getting the PS3 version but at this point it seems pretty unlikely.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I think I might finally replay Tales of Vesperia soon. I was kind of holding off in hopes of getting the PS3 version but at this point it seems pretty unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that? There's rumor of voice actors for the U.S. version being called back into the studio.

[quote name='willardhaven']Why do you say that? There's rumor of voice actors for the U.S. version being called back into the studio.[/QUOTE]
For all we know they could just be recording lines for that PSP fighting game. Or someone might have picked the license up for the movie and going to use the games VA's.

[quote name='Rodimus']It called "The Portopia Serial Murder Case" (or Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken in Japan) I'm pretty sure that's the Box Art for the Famicom version. It's a detective type game where you type in clues, that sorta stuff. It was Pheonix Wright before Pheonix Wright so it was popular for it's time.[/QUOTE]sweeeeeet! thanks! there's even a translation patch out for the game!

judging a game by the cover ftw!!!

Ill make sure to play it rite after I finish Famicom Tantei Club

To be fair, you don't have to do that in any of the modern remakes because the difficulty has been lowered. They might have even taken out the ability to do so, I can't remember.

FFII was interesting and fun, IMO. It's easily the worst FF game, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

I'm a bit stunned that Square stood by its controversial pseudo-leveling system after all these years.

so after a bit over 29 hours, I beat Kingdom Hearts 358/2

here's my synopsis of the story:

darkness memories friendship ice cream bla bla bla who am I bla bla organization keyblade missions bla bla bla why do I have feelings even tho I dont have a heart

I swear kingdom of hearts is like the Lost of video games, a bunch of nonsensical complicated crap that the producers are making up as they go along.

anyway I dont care... Birth by Sleep is gonna be awesome!!

Anyone play through SMT Persona yet? I'm wondering how long it'll take to finish. And just for extra info, I'm pretty sure I'm taking the non-Snow Queen route.

I didn't play KH2 so I'm confused on the DS game's plot....
when do I get to the part where Axel and Roxas bang? All this ice-cream foreplay is too much.

[quote name='Flak']Anyone play through SMT Persona yet? I'm wondering how long it'll take to finish. And just for extra info, I'm pretty sure I'm taking the non-Snow Queen route.[/QUOTE]
I recall Frisky saying that it took him around 60 hours to finish the main quest. But I imagine the Snow Queen Quest would have to be shorter since there seems to be some time limit involved...

[quote name='JEKKI']so after a bit over 29 hours, I beat Kingdom Hearts 358/2

here's my synopsis of the story:

darkness memories friendship ice cream bla bla bla who am I bla bla organization keyblade missions bla bla bla why do I have feelings even tho I dont have a heart

I swear kingdom of hearts is like the Lost of video games, a bunch of nonsensical complicated crap that the producers are making up as they go along.

anyway I dont care... Birth by Sleep is gonna be awesome!![/QUOTE]

I'm with ya. I hate it when RPGs get so preachy it makes them pretentious. It's a big turn off. Eternal Sonata had a big problem with this. Every other line was some self-righteous hippy dribble, it made me sick. If I wanted a morality lesson I'd go to church.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eternal Sonata was the worst RPG I've beaten. Was there even supposed to be a point to that story? (I played the 360 version, I heard the PS3 version had more story).

"The moon charms the sea with its beauty and the waves can't sit still, but when there's a lot of people they make big waves, so you need to be sure you don't get caught up in a storm; alternatively, you might have to throw yourself into that sea to protect someone who's important to you." WTF That Makes No Sense!!!?

I may be alone in this, but that sounds awesome. Complete with experimental lesbian lesbian relationships?

----

So what does 'Time' indicate on the Persona Command page? I just started playing yesterday, and it's been about an hour and six minutes ahead of the clock, military style. And now it's getting into the 30 hour range. Huh? It's definitely not keeping track of playtime so what's it there for?

Between Borderlands and Demon's Souls, it seems like a good time to be a dark horse RPG that thrives on reviews and word of mouth rather than huge advance hype. Can't wait to see some sales numbers for these games to see just how well they're really doing.

[quote name='Flak']So what does 'Time' indicate on the Persona Command page? I just started playing yesterday, and it's been about an hour and six minutes ahead of the clock, military style. And now it's getting into the 30 hour range. Huh? It's definitely not keeping track of playtime so what's it there for?[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm fairly sure it does keep track of game time, it just doesn't stop counting when the PSP goes into sleep mode; so if you want it to be accurate for in-game time you have to turn your PSP completely off and boot it up every time you take a break.

Like check out this guy: 453 Hours to beat... I don't think so...

[quote name='Flak']Anyone play through SMT Persona yet? I'm wondering how long it'll take to finish. And just for extra info, I'm pretty sure I'm taking the non-Snow Queen route.[/QUOTE]

I beat it in around 20 hours or so. However, I got the "bad" ending. I'm really not too worried about it. I don't have the drive to go back and replay it yet. I think I hyped that damn thing up too much in my head. I've been aching to play the original Persona since I saw a review of it as a kid. After waiting THAT long and playing it now......yeah, it's time to move on. Too bad I left Persona 4 at the house.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's been over a decade but I finally beat Popful Mail. [/QUOTE]

That game is pure gold. Damn that Muttonhead! If your going though SCD games and haven't played/beaten it yet you really need to for Vay.

Yeah, I own Vay. I beat it for the first time a few years back. It was good. Very simple generic RPG but that was the charm of it. I remember the random encounters in that game were crazy. It was like every 2 seconds. But the maps were small so It all balanced out. I almost cried when
Pottle died

I spent the last 4 hours playing Dragon Age and I'm enjoying it so far. I think Morrigan will end up being a favorite characters... Sadly my female warrior won't be able to romance her.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Eternal Sonata was the worst RPG I've beaten. Was there even supposed to be a point to that story? (I played the 360 version, I heard the PS3 version had more story).[/QUOTE]

I agree. ES was kitty litter. Man Tri Ace has really gone downhill. But I guess I was always more of a fan of their music composition than the actual games anyways heh

Enchanted Arms / SO4 / Spectral Force is garbage too. It seems like the only good JRPG so far is really Lost Odyssey for 360. The Americans are starting to really catch up, if not exceed Japan in RPGs. Even Korea is pushing out some surprisingly good stuff.

I thought I was going crazy when Persona PSP was trying to tell me I'd played 40 hours this weekend..

I just don't understand this game. I'm at the abandoned warehouse, am I like halfway through?

[quote name='BigPopov']I agree. ES was kitty litter. Man Tri Ace has really gone downhill. But I guess I was always more of a fan of their music composition than the actual games anyways heh

Enchanted Arms / SO4 / Spectral Force is garbage too. It seems like the only good JRPG so far is really Lost Odyssey for 360. The Americans are starting to really catch up, if not exceed Japan in RPGs. Even Korea is pushing out some surprisingly good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Tri Ace didn't make Eternal Sonata.

[quote name='BigPopov']The Americans are starting to really catch up, if not exceed Japan in RPGs. Even Korea is pushing out some surprisingly good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I think they've succeeded them. I don't even like WRPGs but I can clearly see that they're better games. Slowly Japanese developers are getting a clue, but it's not fast enough.

And yeah, Eternal Sonata was developed by tri-Crescendo. They're also responsible for the Baiten Kaitos series. They were involved with sound work for several of Tri-Ace's games. IMO Tri-Ace has only made 2 great RPGs, Star Ocean 2 & Valkyrie Profile.

Jesus, how did I miss this post the first time?[quote name='dr_illingsworth']
"The moon charms the sea with its beauty and the waves can't sit still, but when there's a lot of people they make big waves, so you need to be sure you don't get caught up in a storm; alternatively, you might have to throw yourself into that sea to protect someone who's important to you." WTF That Makes No Sense!!!?[/QUOTE]
This might make things a little clearer for you.

Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back