General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha no I was referring to the gameplay trailer, I thought that's what you posted. I am really forgiving when it comes to Tri-Ace but I hate all the freeze-framing and acrobatics while shooting.

Personally I'm kind of up in the air about End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate), what I've read about the plot makes me really interested in the story.

But I kind of agree with Willard from the gameplay footage I've seen I'm not really sold on the combat system, my major complaint though is that it seems like all anybody does for combat in the game is fire a different type of gun which just seems kind of stale to me.

Also I think that the setting and the character designs are really generic from an artistic point of view; though I'm sure there is more to the game than has been shown in videos so far.

Chances are I'll probably still get the game though, because I think if the story is well developed it will be really interesting.

Didn't see the Sakura Wars trailer until today when I got an email from NIS about it. OH MY GOD THE VOICE ACTING D: I think if I pick it up, I'll play the Japanese-voiced disk.

However, I still have no idea how the game is actually played, as the trailer didn't show very much at all in that respect, nor have the screenshots I've seen...

End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate looks a little low-budget, but also interesting.

Meh, I've got too many RPGs to play as it is.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Out of curiosity, what is different about the "cheaper new cases?"[/QUOTE]
Aside from the aforementioned lack of a memory card holder, they also feel somewhat flimsier than the older cases.

[quote name='willardhaven']Everything that is wrong with JRPGs... sad to say it's from Tri-Ace.[/QUOTE]
i don't know what planet you're on...

but tri-ace has consistently been delivering JRPGs that are cliche and boring, after Valkyrie Profile.

i watched my friend play through the ending of infinite undiscovery and just from the last 10 minutes of the game i already understood the entire plot. i even knew the backstory for all the characters based on their costume and the 2 lines they said.

Alright, it seems that Valkyrie Profile is going with Final Fantasy XII. I just can't get into VP, at all. IMO, the whole game seems so....disconnected. After getting frustrated I read a review of the game to see if anyone else felt the same way. And of course, the internet is able to find you someone to agree with :)
Well the reviewer made a point about the dungeons, and how they were not connected to the plot in anyway. Call me lame, but I think that's the main reason I didn't like it. I'm all about grinding it out to gain some exp and all. But through me some dungeons I gotta get through to get to a boss that pertains to the plot.
Plus, I could really give two craps about all these little side stories. Are they interconnected some way? D
Am I crazy for not liking this game?
I read another review, he said that if you liked Xenogears that you'd like this game.
What?
I LOVE Xenogears. I may be partial to it because it's a game that I played in my early teen and teenage years, and we all grow partial to games that we grow up with. But VP and Xenogears are in to completely different leagues IMO. I could see the battle system being a bit similar but that is about all.
So, am I crazy? Willard? Help me!!

[quote name='kainzero']
but tri-ace has consistently been delivering JRPGs that are cliche and boring, after Valkyrie Profile.
[/QUOTE]

Infinite Undiscovery is not very good, but all of their games have pretty original battle systems. Valkyrie Profile and Radiata Stories (although everyone hates it) have pretty original settings and gameplay. Infinite Undiscovery may be unpolished and kind of lame, but the ideas in it are pretty original.

I just noticed that amazon doesn't have White Knight Chronicles up for preorder. I thought it was supposed to come out early next year. It's one of the only non-portable RPGs I'm looking forward to in the near future.

[quote name='willardhaven']Infinite Undiscovery is not very good, but all of their games have pretty original battle systems. Valkyrie Profile and Radiata Stories (although everyone hates it) have pretty original settings and gameplay. Infinite Undiscovery may be unpolished and kind of lame, but the ideas in it are pretty original.[/QUOTE]
Every Tri-Ace game ends with a battle with a God.
Radiata Stories = hype for ideas that were done a long time ago. You want scheduling? Check Ultima 6 and Ultima 7, date of release 1990 and 1992.
And I dunno, the more ridiculous battle systems get, the more detached they feel from the story. Like, HERE IS PLOT, and then, HERE IS BATTLE and they never seem to mix, like you can be doin 500-hit combos and fighting 30 people but then when 4 soldiers surround your party you gotta surrender.

[quote name='chibamm']Alright, it seems that Valkyrie Profile is going with Final Fantasy XII. I just can't get into VP, at all. IMO, the whole game seems so....disconnected. After getting frustrated I read a review of the game to see if anyone else felt the same way. And of course, the internet is able to find you someone to agree with :)
Well the reviewer made a point about the dungeons, and how they were not connected to the plot in anyway. Call me lame, but I think that's the main reason I didn't like it. I'm all about grinding it out to gain some exp and all. But through me some dungeons I gotta get through to get to a boss that pertains to the plot.
Plus, I could really give two craps about all these little side stories. Are they interconnected some way?[/QUOTE]
1: You don't need to grind. Even when you pick up a new character, just stick him in your party and when you get to a new dungeon, you have him fight a couple battles and he's already up to speed. You can skip the cave of origins or whatever those dungeons are that pop up in every chapter.
2: There's a central plot but it really defers to the side stories. I think a lot of them are really well written. That's why I liked VP and not VP2, because VP was more of a collection of small stories instead of one big overarching plot.

[quote name='kainzero']Every Tri-Ace game ends with a battle with a God.
Radiata Stories = hype for ideas that were done a long time ago. You want scheduling? Check Ultima 6 and Ultima 7, date of release 1990 and 1992.
And I dunno, the more ridiculous battle systems get, the more detached they feel from the story. Like, HERE IS PLOT, and then, HERE IS BATTLE and they never seem to mix, like you can be doin 500-hit combos and fighting 30 people but then when 4 soldiers surround your party you gotta surrender.[/QUOTE]

How is something from the early 90's a cliche? Also, every game with separate battle screens is disjointed. It's a stupid practice that I dislike as well. I've said many times before, the story doesn't really matter if the game is fun. You are a fan of Dragon Quest... the stories in that game are basically just fetch quests. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, just saying that a game experience is not parallel to its narrative. I get into a lot of arguments with JRPG people because I just want a fun game with exploration and adventure... not a CG Japanese drama cartoon.

[quote name='chibamm'] So, am I crazy? Help me!![/QUOTE]

Well I actually agree with you, I'm not really the biggest fan of Valkyrie Profile, I beat it, got the B ending and had no motivation to play it again to get the "true" A ending.

Basically I agree completely that many of the dungeons have little to do with the plot which I also find awkward. Also, while I liked the side stories for the characters I didn't like how they basically became non-existent after that other than if you sent them up you could get kind of generic updates on their status in the war. Plus if you get the B ending the game basically feels like it had absolutely no over-arcing plot since nothing of interest happens, you just do what Odin ordered you to do, which leads you to a lame and stupid easy final boss. Supposedly all of the actual over-arcing plot is cleared up in the A ending, other than some of the hints that it gives you about Lenneth's past, but I just can't bring myself to play through the game again using a guide because I thought it was just alright and I felt really jipped that the B ending basically only exists to alert you to the fact that "hey, you didn't get the real ending to the game, you need to play it again (and do some not so obvious things) in order to see where the plot was really supposed to go."

I guess the multiple endings just rubbed me the wrong way and the lack of an interesting story for most of the game just didn't leave me yearning to play it through again and see the A ending.

I will say that VP has an amazing combat system once you get the hang of it though.

[quote name='willardhaven']I can't believe it's taking them this long to localize it. It didn't look great to me but it's the biggest exclusive RPG PS3 has.[/QUOTE]
They didn't just translate, Level 5 added voice chat in the process. Maybe some other stuff too, I don't remember.

Sega/Obsedian dropped the ball

Alpha Protocol Delayed till June 2010, was suppose to come out later this month, and yes I was looking forward to it....cancel preorder at Gamestop tomorrow.

It's a good idea they did. It would have flopped so bad compared to the other games coming out Q3/Q4. I'm glad they decided to push it back, hopefully to polish it a bit more, and then release it during the summer drought where it'll get more attention.

^Thing is remember that Alien RPG by Obsidian/Sega...I fear that will be the faith of Alpha Protocol.

BUT we still have Dragon Age Origins & Borderlands to look forward to still

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap we go from a month away to a full term pregnancy? There better be some polish with not the slighest hint of turd, I demand it to be so.

[quote name='The Crotch']They wouldn't be Obsidian if they didn't drop the ball somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Don't say that! I need my Fallout: New Vegas to be perfect.

[quote name='The Crotch']They wouldn't be Obsidian if they didn't drop the ball somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I rather enjoy the idea of Obsidian not being forced to push a game out the door for once.

Yeah, in all fairness to them, a lot of the problems with their games are not their fault.

Now make Planescape Torment 2, god dammit. And if it sucks, I will rip off my own arm and beat you to death with it.

Alright, I'm looking for a little Persona PSP help. I'm only about 5-6 hours into it, and I'm having a hell of a time getting spell cards. I only have one and I've been trying to negotiate. I don't know if I've grown really dumb or what.

Anytime I get them all happy or eager, they just give me something or they just become "happy" and no freaking spell card. Am I missing something? Also, I've looked online for some FAQ's or something and couldn't find any about the Contact System.

Speaking of Atlus games, I got to a certain point in Etrian Odyssey yesterday.
It's the bit not long after the 4th Stratum becomes available, where the Rahda ask my group to annihilate the forest people. I understand their reasoning, but the last thing I expected out of this game was being asked to commit genocide. It came as a bit of a shock, to say the least.

I'll probably continue on with the game sometime soonish, as I want to see what it'll lead to (that, and the dungeon crawling is so, so good), despite my feelings about the current situation.

[quote name='B:L']fuck YEAH WIZARD OF OZ
Who's playing it?[/QUOTE]
I want to be playing it, but I have Fallout 3 DLC, Demon's Souls, A Boy and His Blob, and Brutal Legend all within 2 weeks.

[quote name='B:L']fuck YEAH WIZARD OF OZ

Who's playing it?[/QUOTE]

It's in my game fly que. I like what I've seen, seems more "return to oz"-ish than anything, and that's one of my favorite movies.

[quote name='pete5883']This review did a pretty good job of talking me out of it.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm renting it first. It seems to be getting universal "meh" reviews. I've liked average and below average games before, though, and I'll purchase it if I like it.

Can someone tell me what to do during the Fallout 3 mission where your in the museum of technology.

There's a big rocket in the middle, and I activated it.. So what's next?

I just want to comment on one of my current pet peeves, which is PSP games that don't suspend their in-game clocks when you put the PSP to sleep. Personally I really like just putting my PSP to sleep and then turning it back on and continuing playing right from where I left off without having to boot the PSP again. But I also like to know accurately how many hours I've been playing the game for just to get a gauge on how long the game has been... which is impossible when the game clock jumps from 30 minutes to 28 hours because I left my PSP sleeping for a day. I've encountered it in both Persona and Crimson Gem Saga and it seems like it isn't that hard to do, as many other games handle it correctly, and I'm sure there is a way to check if the PSP is entering a sleep state and then just suspend the in-game clock.

I'm interested in Oz. I love light-hearted RPGS. Only thing is I have a big backlog of games right now, actually that and I'm only willing to pay at most 20 bucks for portable games these days.

I'm into Chapter 2 of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Are Arngrim and Jelanda kind of my power characters? They're just beastly compared to my recruits. And how do I go about influencing hero values? I'm teaching my people skills but I finished Chapter 1 without sending any einherjar to Valhalla.

Hero values come from improving non-battle skills using the skill points you get from leveling up. Browse a FAQ on VP before you get too lost, the systems in the game aren't completely obvious.

[quote name='Flak']I'm into Chapter 2 of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Are Arngrim and Jelanda kind of my power characters? They're just beastly compared to my recruits. And how do I go about influencing hero values? I'm teaching my people skills but I finished Chapter 1 without sending any einherjar to Valhalla.[/QUOTE]

Arngrim is a beast the entire game. Makes sense considering you're permently stuck with him. However Jelanda is a beginner mage, she will be but to shame by later spell casters. Don't get too attached to you're einherjar. Most of the time new recruits are better than older ones anyways.

Anyone else play/playing SMT: Devil Suvivor? I'm pretty far into it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Arngrim is a beast the entire game. Makes sense considering you're permently stuck with him. However Jelanda is a beginner mage, she will be but to shame by later spell casters. Don't get too attached to you're einherjar. Most of the time new recruits are better than older ones anyways.

Anyone else play/playing SMT: Devil Suvivor? I'm pretty far into it.[/QUOTE]

That's true.

Also, I am praying for a Dark Cloud 3 that is similar to Dark Cloud 2.. :drool:
Super similar.. DK2 was amazing.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Dark Cloud 2 was alright.... I got annoyed at some point and never went back. Maybe I'll restart and try it again...[/QUOTE]
Best RPG game I've played on my life! :hot:

Speaking of Level 5 RPGs I'm playing Jeanne D' Arc right now. I'm really enjoying it. It has just the right amount of grind in my opinion.

[quote name='icebeast']I just want to comment on one of my current pet peeves, which is PSP games that don't suspend their in-game clocks when you put the PSP to sleep. Personally I really like just putting my PSP to sleep and then turning it back on and continuing playing right from where I left off without having to boot the PSP again. But I also like to know accurately how many hours I've been playing the game for just to get a gauge on how long the game has been... which is impossible when the game clock jumps from 30 minutes to 28 hours because I left my PSP sleeping for a day. I've encountered it in both Persona and Crimson Gem Saga and it seems like it isn't that hard to do, as many other games handle it correctly, and I'm sure there is a way to check if the PSP is entering a sleep state and then just suspend the in-game clock.[/QUOTE]

YES! Preach on brother!! I could not agree more.

Magna Carta 2, they actually got this game right this time. I am enjoying this game so much, wayyyy better then the first. Character designs are on point this time, enviorments are lushed/details. I can recomend this KRPG with faith to the CAG community.

I could care less about the in game clock.

I think I might restart Kingdom Hearts DS on Normal. I've been have a little trouble with some low level enemies... Maybe I'm just rusty. Or it could be actually be harder than the first 2... or the controls.

[quote name='Poor2More']Magna Carta 2, they actually got this game right this time. I am enjoying this game so much, wayyyy better then the first. Character designs are on point this time, enviorments are lushed/details. I can recomend this KRPG with faith to the CAG community.[/QUOTE]
Really? I thought it was pretty mediocre at best.

I just checked out a preview and it looks mediocre to me. I've got enough RPGs in my backlog right now so I have no room for a game like that. When it goes under $20 I might think about getting it...

Have any of you guys been playing Mario & Luigi yet? The combat is loads of fun, and There's a whole bunch of variety.
I'm only like 4 hours in, and I'm totally playing it more.

[quote name='Count']RPG game [/QUOTE]
role-playing game game

I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2 a lot as well (much more than the original). I do hope for a 3rd someday.

Well, with the Fallout 3 GOTY edition coming out this week, I have to ask: did anyone else manage to hold off on a purchase until now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back