General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus']

Out of curiosity is the main Phantasy Star series a continuous story, or is each game it's own seperate story?[/QUOTE]

The first four games take place in the system Algol. It has four planets in the system ( Palma, Dezolis , Motavia , and Rykros ) Though out the first four you will go to each planet on your quest.

PSO is in a new solar system ( Ragol ) for reason you will find out. It is loosly based on the plot set up in the first four games and starts it own story arc.

PSU is in the solar system Gurhal. Once again following its own story arc.

There are a few spin offs that the US never got, and I have no idea if their are roms in English, but I know their are guides for English players.

Phantasy Star Gaiden was a game gear spin off of Phantasy Star 1 that has Alis in it with two new toons, this one leads up to the events in Phantasy Star two.

Phantasy Star Adventure is another game gear game that takes place the same time Phantasy Star two does, and really is its own stand alone quest.

Phantasy Star two Text Adventure was something that was put out on Segas Meganet, but also came out later on the Sega CD( the Sega CD version is the only way to play it now. ) This gives the back story to all the toons in Phantasy Star two, and tells you more about their past, traits, ticks and why they are where they are once you get to them in Phantasy Star two.

There is also the Phantasy Star Compendium that goes into a lot of little plot details from the first four games. You might be able to find this for a decent price if you wanted while in jpn, think I paid around $120 for mine in 96. There is also Phantasy Star Memorial Drama which I have never hunted down a copy. Has music and spoken part talking about more plots and its own little story at the end about the plot of Phantst Star two.

PS needs a facelift. I kept trying to play PS2 but it's slooooooow and grindy (coming from a Dragon Quest fan!) and the dialogue was just awful because of translation.

I wanna check out the remakes but they're Japan only =(

Anyone recommend Star Ocean: First Departure? I played through most of SO2 on PS1 a few years back, and enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it. I was thinking of picking it up on PSP, but am wondering if I should play First Departure first. Are the stories of the four games related, or are they more standalone ala FF series?

I just beat the first dungeon in Persona 4 (yukio shadow), damn it was pretty challenging boss fight with out Red Wall (Fire repelant) due to a fire weakness in Chie(sp?) but I heard its gets easier after the 1st dungeon..

[quote name='Zmonkay']Anyone recommend Star Ocean: First Departure? I played through most of SO2 on PS1 a few years back, and enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it. I was thinking of picking it up on PSP, but am wondering if I should play First Departure first. Are the stories of the four games related, or are they more standalone ala FF series?[/QUOTE]

I had Star Ocean for PS but only played it very briefly. However, this week I finally dug into First Departure on the PSP after having it for 2-3 months. I'm about 3 hours into it, and I really like it. I'm not a huge fan of the actual battle system, but the skill system stuff is pretty neat. Plus, the story and dialogue seem to flow really well so far.

[quote name='Zmonkay'] I was thinking of picking it up on PSP, but am wondering if I should play First Departure first. Are the stories of the four games related, or are they more standalone ala FF series?[/QUOTE]
The stories have nothing to do with each other.

I should play SO: First Departure sometime but my Portable RPG backlog has been building up(I have FF3-4, Chrono Trigger, Devil Survivor and a few random PSP RPGs) and I'm having trouble deciding what to play. I could probably play it along with SRW: OG Saga... But I might wait until after Persona.

[quote name='LostRoad']Wait... you have never played any of them? Wtf ...

How the hell have you not played these Rod you poor poor man.[/QUOTE]

As a kid I didn't own a Genesis so there's a bunch of exclusive titles I never got around to. Not to mention as kid I disliked RPGs. It's something I feel into as I got older.

But you must've enjoyed the series since you seem to know a ton about it. Thanks for the synopsis.

I started playing KotOR on my 360 and it is bad. The music doesn't play most of the time, sound effects go out, frame rate issues and more. On top of that I bought the Prima guide for it some time ago for maps and side quest info and it has to be the worst RPG guide I have ever owned. The Maps don't have a legend or tell you starting/leaving points. The side quest info isn't detailed at all and doesn't tell you dark side/light side quests. I'm probably going to wait to finish KotOR when I can find a cheap Xbox1.

[quote name='spoo']The stories have nothing to do with each other.[/QUOTE]
Isn't Ronixis in both games?

They're not really related though.

[quote name='spoo']I started playing KotOR on my 360 and it is bad. The music doesn't play most of the time, sound effects go out, frame rate issues and more. On top of that I bought the Prima guide for it some time ago for maps and side quest info and it has to be the worst RPG guide I have ever owned. The Maps don't have a legend or tell you starting/leaving points. The side quest info isn't detailed at all and doesn't tell you dark side/light side quests. I'm probably going to wait to finish KotOR when I can find a cheap Xbox1.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that seems to be the best we'll get when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Still playing Blue Dragon and it's not that bad. The storyline is borderline garbage but I'm liking the battle system enough to keep going.

[quote name='kainzero']Isn't Ronixis in both games?

They're not really related though.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that, Ronyx is Claude's Father.

thanks for all the input on SO. I think I'll hold off a bit. Scribblenauts comes out Tuesday, and Persona is coming soon too (idk release date)...

[quote name='depascal22']Does the Special Edition of Tales of Vesperia come with a slip cover? I just got a copy on Goozex but I just got the steel book.[/QUOTE]

Nope, but it should have the game disc, sound track, manual, a single peace of paper that has the soundtrack list and a download code.

[quote name='LostRoad']Nope, but it should have the game disc, sound track, manual, a single peace of paper that has the soundtrack list and a download code.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I still think I'm returning it to the sender since the game disc is scratched and has a rather large something on it. Also, it froze the first time I played it.

A "rather large something"? I don't wanna know...

Anyway, speaking of Tales, I'd been away from Tales of Legendia for a while and finally got back to it this week (after replaying some old save files for the cutscenes/to refresh my memory). It's all right, if a little easy, but a certain couple of bosses I beat last night were surprisingly tough.

I don't know what I'll play after this one. I've been itching for some Harvest Moon and want to get Rune Factory Frontier, but my backlog needs slimming down first. Really enjoyed Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (which I played over the summer), so maybe some more SMT is in the immediate future...

[quote name='blueshinra']
I don't know what I'll play after this one. I've been itching for some Harvest Moon and want to get Rune Factory Frontier, but my backlog needs slimming down first. Really enjoyed Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (which I played over the summer), so maybe some more SMT is in the immediate future...[/QUOTE]

Just start playing Persona PSP at release like the rest of us :)

[quote name='chibamm']Just start playing Persona PSP at release like the rest of us :)[/QUOTE]
I don't have a PSP, and like I said, shouldn't buy anything new right now due to the ol' backlog's size :p

[quote name='blueshinra']

I don't know what I'll play after this one. I've been itching for some Harvest Moon and want to get Rune Factory Frontier, but my backlog needs slimming down first. Really enjoyed Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (which I played over the summer), so maybe some more SMT is in the immediate future...[/QUOTE]

Normally I'd say play what you want, but Harvest Moon games have that problem of not ending.

I'm trying to play Tales of the Abyss but I can't seem to play for more than 30 minutes without getting bored. I just got the flying ship (Alibos or something) and I'm losing interest in it. The battles have absolutly no challenge and I haven't level grinded at all. Plus the only two characters I enjoy using are Luke & Guy, and they both play very similar. Jade is probably the only character I find interesting story-wise. Maybe I'm getting burnt out and just need to come back to it later.

BTW, is that Mark Hamil doing the voice for Dist? It sounds very similar to the Joker.

Yeah, I tend to get like that at about the halfway point of most RPGs, when you get an airship or what have you and can freely explore. The game seems to suddenly lose focus. IDK, mebbe I'm strange, but I actually like the RPGs that linearly push you along to keep the story rolling, but give you the option to go back to places (ala FFX) for optional sidequests.

And no, it's not Mark Hamill, it's the guy that did Loyd in Code Geass and Lezard in Valkyrie Profile 2 (LOVE THAT GAME!!!). Liam O'brien. He's done a ton of stuff according to IMDB, but these two are use practically the same voice as he did for Dist.

And second the love for Jade. Best character in the game imho.

[quote name='DQT']Normally I'd say play what you want, but Harvest Moon games have that problem of not ending.[/QUOTE]
The Rune Factory games on the DS (and, I'm assuming, the one on the Wii) do have endings, as does the SNES original. Don't know about the others *shrug*

Harvest Moon 64 showing up on Virtual Console come Monday would so make my day right now...

I can never make it past the first winter in Harvest Moon games... It just gets boring since the only way I know how to make money is go into the cave all day and mine for crap.

[quote name='chibamm']What SMT games do you have left to finish?[/QUOTE]
Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 are the ones in my backlog I've yet to play. If I do go with a SMT game after I'm done with Legendia, it will be Nocturne (I've heard Persona 3 and 4 are really good, but I'd rather save the best for last).

I haven't heard any buzz at all for FF4 After Years. I downloaded the first part and it seems pretty fun, just wish you had a better variety of people for it, good stuff for people who were raised on FF4 but if you're expecting something deep I'd look elsewhere.

I'll probably download the rest later.

[quote name='kainzero']I haven't heard any buzz at all for FF4 After Years. I downloaded the first part and it seems pretty fun, just wish you had a better variety of people for it, good stuff for people who were raised on FF4 but if you're expecting something deep I'd look elsewhere.

I'll probably download the rest later.[/QUOTE]

There was a little talk about it when it came out but died off pretty quick. Like you said its really fan fair for people in our age group. You will get more people in different side stories, some are pretty cool some are spoony bards.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Yeah, I tend to get like that at about the halfway point of most RPGs, when you get an airship or what have you and can freely explore. The game seems to suddenly lose focus. IDK, mebbe I'm strange, but I actually like the RPGs that linearly push you along to keep the story rolling, but give you the option to go back to places (ala FFX) for optional sidequests.[/QUOTE]
I'm with you on that. Either give me that freedom from the get-go, or give me it later once I've enjoyed most of the story.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I can never make it past the first winter in Harvest Moon games... It just gets boring since the only way I know how to make money is go into the cave all day and mine for crap.[/QUOTE]
Actually I like Winter, because that's when I get to mess around the most and not have to work on crops.

When Spring rolls around, then I'm reminded of how much hard work I have to do, and I stop playing =)

Since I finished Vesperia the other day I was thinking about playing through Symphonia again.

Holy crap that game is STILL expensive

Holy crap, how do you guys manage to finish all these RPG's? I'm honestly so lost in my backloggery of RPG's it's not even funny. I was a full time night student, but Im done with school now, so I'm working full time. But that still barely leaves me with a few hours each night to do stuff. These are all the RPG's I have yet to either play or finish.

:ps3:
Eternal Sonata: I started this in like June, still only in Chapter 3.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Got this on Friday, finally got to the part where you pick a side and I'm now 14% done with the game.

:ps2:
Persona 3 FES: I've been playing this one since December of 08, and I'm only about 30 hours into the game.
Persona 4: Haven't even started.
Nocturne: Just bought it this month for $30 new.
Tales of the Abyss: Haven't even started.
Disgaea Hour of Darkness: Haven't even started.
Rogue Galaxy: Haven't even started.
FFXII: Stopped playing years ago, but I still want to go back and finish.

:ds:
Chrono Trigger: Less than 5 hours into the game.
The World Ends with You: Still playing with Joshua.
SMT: Devil Survivor: Haven't even started.

:360:
Tales of Vesperia LE: Haven't even started.

My problem is I have a very hard time sticking with RPG's lately, I jump back and forth so often, and I impulsively buy games when I see them, knowing their rare or a good find. Not to mention I've been trying to get into fighting games, so I've been playing BlazBlue, SFIV, and MvC2 as well. PLUS, this fall is going to be major for me, with the release of some highly anticipated game. I have absolutely no idea how I'm ever going to catch up, or enjoy some of these gems I have. A big part of me also wants to go back and replay FF6-10, and all the KH games so I can introduce my boyfriend to what started my love for RPG's.

How do you guys do it? Any suggestions?

I'd like to get back to Abyss one day. I just stopped playing for now real reason one day. I can't be that far away from finishing the game...

I think most of us finished alot of these RPGs when we were in high school, college, or when we were looking for a job. I took advantage of unemployment this summer and finished Nocturne.

Pick one game and play through until completion or until you're completely bored with it. It sounds simple but like you said, it's really easy to go about halfway and then jump into another one. If a game isn't holding your interest, don't feel like you have to finish it. You don't owe it to anyone to play games you don't really like with such limited time.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']How do you guys do it? Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Take one game and play it until you beat it, don't play anything else. It's the only way.

The more time you spend away from it, the less you'll remember the story and you'll hardly be motivated to play. Don't start other RPGs either, just focus on ONE.

That's only if you want to get rid of it.
On the other hand, you could, y'know, stop buying games you don't play...

I agree with kainzero. Don't buy games you're not going to play sometime in the near future, especially RPGs.

As much as it seems like games are rare, they're super easy to pick up here, on Goozex, and on GameTZ.

[quote name='depascal22']I agree with kainzero. Don't buy games you're not going to play sometime in the near future, especially RPGs.

As much as it seems like games are rare, they're super easy to pick up here, on Goozex, and on GameTZ.[/QUOTE]

Not in some cases. I picked up Tales of the Abyss sealed for 29.99, Nocturne for 30 and change around its time of release and Devil Summoner for around 30 sealed as well. If you care about getting a new copy, you should try to find a good deal ASAP.

But you just contradicted yourself with Nocturne though. It was released in October of 2004 and you could still pick up new copies (albeit reprints without the soundtrack) earlier this year.

Also, I picked up copies of Tales of the Abyss for $20 long after it was released.

The only thing I would say pick up right away are the Limited Editions like Tales of Vesperia. Even then, they're available on Goozex and I'd have a copy right now if the guy hadn't skeeted on the disc.

I think that's my biggest issue, is Im buying more games than I can handle at the moment. And the whole losing interest thing is too true. I mean I was so involved in Persona 3, loved the game, got stuck on a boss for days, dropped it and now I have a hard time keeping my interested in it, even after I beat that boss. I think it's also the fact that I don't have hours upon hours to spend on games anymore, so I try to beat the shorter games first.

I found my copy of Abyss. SO now all I need to do is find the memory card with the save file on it.

[quote name='willardhaven']Ever since I played Abyss and Vesperia, I've had a hard time going back to Symphonia.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the Battle camera is what really give me a problem. It's zoomed in too much

Well Nocturne was out of print for a couple of years, nobody thought it would be reprinted. Plus I have a nice original copy with a soundtrack for the same price as a cheaper copy without one.

lol. Alundra.

[quote name='vireland']Okay, found it. This is the puzzle where you have to stand on Meia's head and let her carry you across a gap.

Here's the part where she's carrying you:

head_rider1.jpg

And this is what she originally said when she dropped you off on the other side:

head_rider2.jpg

We literally got calls from almost all the reviewers cracking up and saying "are you REALLY shipping with that in?" I was happy because I knew they actually were PLAYING the game they were reviewing to the end (becoming a rarity, even back then). We intended to leave it, but SCEA made us take it out. Only time that ever happened (besides the other exchange in this same game that was axed at the same time).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kainzero'] The more time you spend away from it, the less you'll remember the story and you'll hardly be motivated to play. Don't start other RPGs either, just focus on ONE.[/QUOTE]

This. I've started played through the first 20 or so hours of more than one RPG two or three times, because I get distracted and stop playing them, and when I decide to continue, have no idea what's going on. Never finished Golden Sun 2 because I stopped shortly after getting the ship, and when I got back, I had NO fucking clue where I was supposed to go.

I'll be in Tokyo by Thursday. Gonna be there for almost a month, Got a couple DS RPGs to entertain me while on the 13 hour flight. So I picked up SMT: Devil Suvivior & Valkyrie Profile. Picked up VP pretty cheap for $15.

Have fun in Tokyo, buddy. Make sure to pick up at least one crazy thing that you'd never find here in the states. I vote for bread in a can or Waku Waku 7.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']I think that's my biggest issue, is Im buying more games than I can handle at the moment. And the whole losing interest thing is too true. I mean I was so involved in Persona 3, loved the game, got stuck on a boss for days, dropped it and now I have a hard time keeping my interested in it, even after I beat that boss. I think it's also the fact that I don't have hours upon hours to spend on games anymore, so I try to beat the shorter games first.[/QUOTE]
If you're playing a game just to beat it and brag to your friends, then just bite your lip and get through the tough part ASAP.

If you're playing just to finish the story, go ahead and use a guide, especially for ways to make the battles easier.

But ultimately try not to stop, because it's really hard to restart and even when you do, you get confused to the point where you might as well start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back