General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started Suikoden T today. Got about 2 hours into it. It seems all right, but the voice acting makes me want to kill myself. Is the main character's VA the same person who did the Speed Racer cartoon so many years ago? Jesus, he talks so fast.

I'm sure it's no secret but I love the Suikoden series. What I like the most is that it's not your typical JRPGs with a cliched story. I like the political aspect and the connecting storylines also.

Also just got Suikoden T a few days ago. I like it, but the v/o's are really really fast. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's for storage purposes.

I loved Suikoden III back when it came out, but I can't stand the battle system now :whistle2:(

However, the story in III I did and still like.

I've been thinking about getting Suikoden off of PSN. But my Backlog is just too full at the moment.

What do you guys who have play SO4 think of the game? The reviews of SO4 are pretty mixed. I've heard there is a SO3 like plot twist... which kind off makes me want it less. But I still might pick it up after a take care of a few game from my backlog.

Suikoden is probably my favorite RPG series ever. The large scale army feeling is just fantastic. Plus having returning characters in the games is always a great thing to see.

I miss the runes in Suikoden T, but I don't think they'll ever make a rune as cool as Suikoden 1.

[quote name='suko_32']I loved Suikoden III back when it came out, but I can't stand the battle system now :whistle2:(

However, the story in III I did and still like.[/quote]

What was wrong with the battle system? It was pretty much the same as any turn based RPG, wasn't it?

One thing I liked about Suikoden 3 were the mounts, but was always sad that it took up 2 party spaces.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']
What do you guys who have play SO4 think of the game? The reviews of SO4 are pretty mixed. I've heard there is a SO3 like plot twist... which kind off makes me want it less. But I still might pick it up after a take care of a few game from my backlog.[/quote]

I really like SO4. The story may be a bit cookie-cutter, but I still find it a fun game to play.

I also really like the Star Ocean games.

Suikoden III felt different because you had three sets of two guys. At the same time, you only gave one command to two people. I never found a configuration that I liked and my enjoyment of the game suffered because of it. That and those damn hollies.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I've been thinking about getting Suikoden off of PSN. But my Backlog is just too full at the moment.

What do you guys who have play SO4 think of the game? The reviews of SO4 are pretty mixed. I've heard there is a SO3 like plot twist... which kind off makes me want it less. But I still might pick it up after a take care of a few game from my backlog.[/quote]

I think its turrrible but I need to put more time into it.

Sorry to get off Suikoden but do you guys think Lulu (Final Fantasy X) would be such a popular character if she hadn't had her tits spilling out of that black dress? I was just thinking there's nothing really that great about her. Flat monotone voice, way too dark mascara and lipstick, an unusually thick and furry dress compared to everyone else's attire, and really big tits....

I just beat "From the Abyss" on DS, pretty fun dungeon crawler, very easy though

Now I have a choice of what game to start next

Suikoden T DS
Ys Book 1 & 2 DS
Izuna DS
Dragon Quest V
Chrono Trigger DS (RPG that got me into the genre many years ago on the SNES)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also never liked Lulu as a character. I'm sure her tits helped boost her popularity but the goth kids musta loved her too.

I liked Lulu in FFX. I always found her dress interesting? not really sure what to say about it. Anyway she was one of the few characters that never got on my nerves. Of course this was before X-2.....

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm sure it's no secret but I love the Suikoden series. What I like the most is that it's not your typical JRPGs with a cliched story. [/QUOTE]
I dunno, to me it just felt like a cliche'd war story every time, except for III where they actually had a good/interesting reason for war. Then in every game since they went back to the boring reasons.
[quote name='depascal22']Sorry to get off Suikoden but do you guys think Lulu (Final Fantasy X) would be such a popular character if she hadn't had her tits spilling out of that black dress? I was just thinking there's nothing really that great about her. Flat monotone voice, way too dark mascara and lipstick, an unusually thick and furry dress compared to everyone else's attire, and really big tits....[/QUOTE]
You know, you may be on to something.

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry to get off Suikoden but do you guys think Lulu (Final Fantasy X) would be such a popular character if she hadn't had her tits spilling out of that black dress? I was just thinking there's nothing really that great about her. Flat monotone voice, way too dark mascara and lipstick, an unusually thick and furry dress compared to everyone else's attire, and really big tits....[/QUOTE]

You're probably just htting on the general lack of variety in female Final Fantasy characters. Each FF since 5, including X-2, has had three female characters embodying three distinct archetypes: one is overly serious and committed to a cause, one is detatched and moody, and one is spunky. Illustrative case-in-point: remember who replaces Lulu in X-2?

Given that, it's hard to base preference on anything other than design. And tits generally pay dividends.

I just beat FFXII for the first time haha, I was at the last place for like 2 years and I just decided to pick it up and finish it.

I was satisfied with the ending, although it wasn't unexpected in the slightest.

It was better than the mindrape that was VIII's ending at least.

[quote name='pete5883']I dunno, to me it just felt like a cliche'd war story every time, except for III where they actually had a good/interesting reason for war. Then in every game since they went back to the boring reasons.[/quote]

You're the kinda guy that likes saving the world from ultimate evil, right? (I find that boring) Suikoden's story makes sense, everything connects and it's easy to understand. JRPGs often have pretentious storylines that end up making little sense. Yes, Suikoden revolves around war, but it's a simple concept which makes it different. Most often there is no "good" or "evil", it's subjective and for a JRPG it's surprisingly more adult than most.

Suikoden III was the only one that had the cliched "destroy the world for the greater good" plot we've all seen before. Sure saving the world is an excellent reason to fight, but should JRPGs be limited to it?

Amongst you unwavering RPG devotees, what'd you think of the Baten Kaitos games? I'm considering wrapping up my GCN by playing all the games left that I've had in the back of my mind since like forever (Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, Tales of Symphonia, F-Zero GX) and contemplating whether or not Baten Kaitos should appear as well. I did play the first hour of the first BK game, but it was at a time when I had grown despondent with modern RPGs and might've prematurely sold it. I've since made it my mission by June '09 to finish all the GCN games that I've been meaning to play before moving back onto my ps2 backlog of unpurchased games so as to allow a greater degree of concentration.

Oh yeah...I'm skipping this current generation of consoles, so I still have probably a good 4-5 years left with the ps2. haha

[quote name='Rodimus']You're the kinda guy that likes saving the world from ultimate evil, right?[/quote]
Eh, I guess. I'm kind of sick of it by now, but I thought it was done really well in S3, whereas in most RPGs it isn't. Plus the fact that
the previously wussy-looking Luc was behind it,
made it a lot more interesting for me. I guess I probably just don't like war stories much.

[quote name='meliss242']Amongst you unwavering RPG devotees, what'd you think of the Baten Kaitos games? I'm considering wrapping up my GCN by playing all the games left that I've had in the back of my mind since like forever (Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, Tales of Symphonia, F-Zero GX) and contemplating whether or not Baten Kaitos should appear as well. I did play the first hour of the first BK game, but it was at a time when I had grown despondent with modern RPGs and might've prematurely sold it. I've since made it my mission by June '09 to finish all the GCN games that I've been meaning to play before moving back onto my ps2 backlog of unpurchased games so as to allow a greater degree of concentration.
[/QUOTE]
The battle system was definitely different, and I found it fun enough to be a worthwhile playthrough. The battles are long, the story is something you've seen before (for the most part,) and all the dialogue in the game sounds like it's coming from the other end of a tube, but if you can get over these, I say go for it.

[quote name='pete5883']Eh, I guess. I'm kind of sick of it by now, but I thought it was done really well in S3, whereas in most RPGs it isn't. Plus the fact that
the previously wussy-looking Luc was behind it,
made it a lot more interesting for me. I guess I probably just don't like war stories much.[/quote]

I understand and I agree, it was well done and I certiantly don't hate it because it wasn't your typical Suikoden story. I liked all the characters both heroes & villians (Geddoe & Yuber). And since it's the most recent story timeline-wise I consider the story more important to the series than S4 or S5.

[quote name='Rodimus']I understand and I agree, it was well done and I certiantly don't hate it because it wasn't your typical Suikoden story. I liked all the characters both heroes & villians (Geddoe & Yuber). And since it's the most recent story timeline-wise I consider the story more important to the series than S4 or S5.[/QUOTE]
And that reminds me, the main characters in everything but S3 are lame - they never talk, yet all the other characters think the MC is a great guy and should lead the army. Why?? He has no discernible personality.

S3, the 3 characters actually had personality, and one could see how they would make a good leader. Well, not really Geddoe.

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry to get off Suikoden but do you guys think Lulu (Final Fantasy X) would be such a popular character if she hadn't had her tits spilling out of that black dress? I was just thinking there's nothing really that great about her. Flat monotone voice, way too dark mascara and lipstick, an unusually thick and furry dress compared to everyone else's attire, and really big tits....[/quote]
Lulu was a popular character?!

Sorry willard. I guess goth chicks just aren't my thing. I try to stay away from the morbidly depressed. I keed. I keed.

No real point to be made. Just introducing conversation that hasn't been brought up before.

[quote name='pete5883']How come they don't make music like One Winged Angel anymore?[/quote]

I thought FFXII had one of the best soundtracks of any of them, I'd put it in the top two or so.

I think one winged angel is an anomaly because it transcended its source material by quite a bit.

[quote name='pete5883']How come they don't make music like One Winged Angel anymore?[/QUOTE]
Because the song was never that good in the first place.

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry willard. I guess goth chicks just aren't my thing. I try to stay away from the morbidly depressed. I keed. I keed.

No real point to be made. Just introducing conversation that hasn't been brought up before.[/quote]
Someone needed to be depressed to make up for the rest of the characters.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Because the song was never that good in the first place.[/QUOTE]
In that case your answer should've been "For similar quality, maybe you should check out the works of Masashi Hamauzu."

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Someone needed to be depressed to make up for the rest of the characters.[/quote]

Auron was pretty damn close. He wasn't technically depressed but it wasn't like he was the life of the party.

[quote name='depascal22']Auron was pretty damn close. He wasn't technically depressed but it wasn't like he was the life of the party.[/quote]

Being dead kinda helps with that :)

I just just put in about 6 hours on Soma Bringer, this is the closest thing on the DS to diablo, this game is great. Now that it is translated to English, makes it alot easier to enjoy the story.

I finally get my copy of "Demons Soul" (Asian Version, Full English) on PS3 tomorrow, I cant wait : )

Region free is pretty cool on the PS3. I just started Tales of Vesperia and it's great, I can't think of any downside other than interminable cut scenes.

My biggest complaint about ToV was Estelle. I sweer their were moments when I thought Estelle was mentally retarded, I couldn't stand her.

Still, ToV had one of the coolest/shocking scenes in JRPG history.
When Yuri kills that evil regent guy in cold blood. The whole time I was thinking, "He's not gonna do it, he wont kill him, he'll pussy out like they all do." Then he does it and the most awesome thing about it is he never laments about what he did. After this moment I thought he was one of the coolest main characters ever.

[quote name='Rodimus']My biggest complaint about ToV was Estelle. I sweer their were moments when I thought Estelle was mentally retarded, I couldn't stand her.

Still, ToV had one of the coolest/shocking scenes in JRPG history.
When Yuri kills that evil regent guy in cold blood. The whole time I was thinking, "He's not gonna do it, he wont kill him, he'll pussy out like they all do." Then he does it and the most awesome thing about it is he never laments about what he did. After this moment I thought he was one of the coolest main characters ever.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Yuri was pretty badass. I actually didn't mind Estelle that much. Though after playing ToS2, I think I can handle anyone compared to Emil...

so yah... that Valkyrie Profile DS... it's pretty damn awesome.

gameplay wise itself... not really the best thing out there. It's standard SRPG style, each side takes turns, and combat itself is similar to other VP games where each dood is assigned to a button and u do combos n shyt.

At times it can be very unbalanced since you only have 4 doods and it's real easy to get ganged up on and lose a full health character in one move... but likewise u can also do the same thing.

Furthermore, positioning is important. Strategic use of proper positioning can allow characters to attack multiple times in a single turn.

other than that, the game's biggest strength is in its story and branching plot. Each chapter is different depending on your decision.

And the chapters themselves are like in the first VP. The game introduce new characters, you see their story unfold thruout the chapter, then at the end of the chapter you keep them as allies. I kno a lot of ppl disliked VP2 since they overlooked this aspect, thankfully VPDS brings it back.

so yah... since I'm a fan of VP and enjoy its lore and stuff I definitely enjoy the game. If you like VP then check this game out.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, Yuri was pretty badass. I actually didn't mind Estelle that much. Though after playing ToS2, I think I can handle anyone compared to Emil...[/quote]

I'll give ya that, Emil was the worst. I comend you for playing through that game, I couldn't do it. But does Emil ever stop acting like a puss?

The next flagship Tales game is supposed to be on Wii... I'd much rather it be on 360 or PS3. If they're going for the larger install base, why not stick with the PS2?

Do stores besides GameStop even have shelfspace for PS2 games anymore? Last time I was at a store (Wal-Mart) they were consolidating 3 sections of PS1 games into one. Underneath they were storing Nintendo peripherals, so more like 3/4 of a section. The other two they were changing to Wii and DS.

Back to RPGs... I still haven't played ToV, ES, Dark Cloud 2, and most of VC, FFXI, P3+FES, and Fable II. Need time for games. :( After school ends at the end of April I will be working 50 hrs a week or more... How do you guys do it?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No, he never gets any better.[/quote]

He does get better, but its at the very end of the game and only for 10 min, Emil was a pain in the ass, but the fan fair that was offered made me look past him.

[quote name='willardhaven']The next flagship Tales game is supposed to be on Wii... I'd much rather it be on 360 or PS3. If they're going for the larger install base, why not stick with the PS2?[/quote]
I don't mind as long as it's better then TOS 2.... I can't believe I wasted money on that crap. Not even the idea of seeing Sheena again could make me play it past the first boss.

I don't mind it being on a weaker console, but will it sell on the Wii? I think PS2 is more logical for the large userbase JRPG. The Wii decision just confuses me.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I don't mind as long as it's better then TOS 2.... I can't believe I wasted money on that crap. Not even the idea of seeing Sheena again could make me play it past the first boss.[/QUOTE]
Can't say we didn't warn you.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't mind it being on a weaker console, but will it sell on the Wii? I think PS2 is more logical for the large userbase JRPG. The Wii decision just confuses me.[/quote]

Maybe Sony is shutting down the PS2 around the time it would come out? If that's the case, the 360 should be the way to go considering their results. Did TOS2 sell more than TOV?

On another note, I just started Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's my first SMT/Persona game since Persona 2. I really like the art style, the battle system, and the story so far. I'm doing some grinding at the beginning because I've heard the game is super hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back