General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, aside from it being a little tough, Nocturne is one of the best games on PS2. As for Tales, I wish the next game was on 360, as I bought one to play Vesperia. I am not sure what the numbers are for ToV vs. ToS2, I'll check the sales thread.

Hope you enjoy Nocturne. It has a nice challenge. Just make sure to fuse a nice variety of demons. Having the right skill could make all the difference in battle.

I just hit the Cathedral of Shadows in Shibuya. I got the quick explanation of fusing and it's a good thing there's a save point just next door. It'll really allow me to fuse away with the reset button there for any strange mutations.

Does anyone have the guide for trade? I checked the FAQ and I realized I already missed something. It wasn't a biggie but there's nothing worse than getting to the end of a 100 hour journey missing some of the best weapons/gear/items/demons/etc.

omg I started playing a new game today...

Ys Book I & II

becoz, I been wanting to play it for a while... and the player one podcast is goind a game club on it... and I finally reached the recent episode of retronauts where they talk about Falcom.

anyway... so far the game is #@$%in awesome~!!!

it's pretty much everything I like about games, hella reminding me of back in the days reading EGM and Gamepro and dreaming about all these games u always wanted to play but never could coz u were only 9 years old and had to be thankful for the little that u had.

and the music is freakin insane!!! It's sooooo good!!

I'm not that far in the game tho... I spent a bit of time walking into enemies til they die so I had enough cash to buy equipment, then the lady told me to go to the next town.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't mind it being on a weaker console, but will it sell on the Wii? I think PS2 is more logical for the large userbase JRPG. The Wii decision just confuses me.[/QUOTE]

What I don't understand is why don't they make it for PS2 and just port it to the wii. Then they could have 2 mega-huge user bases.

If it's good enough I might pick up a wii, but probly not. There just isn't that many games for the wii that I like and the price tag is too high for what you get(imo).

Hmm let's pick this thread up :).

I finally started Lost Odyssey. Just hit the 2nd disk & loving it so far!
Interestingly enough the first few bosses proved quite a challenge especially the 2nd one - normal by any chance?

Everything is great, except the load times....

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't mind it being on a weaker console, but will it sell on the Wii? I think PS2 is more logical for the large userbase JRPG. The Wii decision just confuses me.[/QUOTE]

The Wii is currently the best selling console right now, and those new owners are going to be looking for new games.

[quote name='62t']The Wii is currently the best selling console right now, and those new owners are going to be looking for new games.[/quote]

I understand that, but there are less installed units than the PS2, plus I don't know if Wii owners are Tales buyers. PS2 seems to be the best bet for niche JRPGs. I hope it does well, because I want more Tales in the U.S.

[quote name='SuxoR']What are the great RPGs for Wii at the moment?

If any :p[/quote]
Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Your Mother Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem.

[quote name='The Crotch']Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Your Mother Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem.[/quote]

Ouch.

[quote name='willardhaven']I understand that, but there are less installed units than the PS2, plus I don't know if Wii owners are Tales buyers. PS2 seems to be the best bet for niche JRPGs. I hope it does well, because I want more Tales in the U.S.[/QUOTE]

Many publisher are moving their games to wii, such as Capcom with Monster Hunter and SE with Dragon quest. The Tales series is not a niche series in Japan, and actually help sold console when Vesperia was released on Xbox 360. As for the US the tales games done well on Wii and Gamecube so I would say the chance of new Tales games on Wii getting a US release is actually higher.

[quote name='SuxoR']What are the great RPGs for Wii at the moment?

If any :p[/QUOTE]Arc Rise Fantasia.

that game is gonna be everything good that a JRPG is.

Have you guys heard of End of Eternity (PS3, Xbox 360)?
http://kotaku.com/5202959/this-is-the-new-multi+platform-tri+ace-rpg
I never really liked any of Tri-Ace's games (besides Star Ocean Second Story on psx...even with its mishaps in translation), but this particular game looks interesting.

I think everyone is aware of this by now, Valkyria Chronicles DLC coming out tomorrow 4/16 at $5.00 a piece.

Could I hear anyone's input on Persona 3? I'm interested in the whole Persona system... but the dating sim and random dungeons seems questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dejeckt']Have you guys heard of End of Eternity (PS3, Xbox 360)?
http://kotaku.com/5202959/this-is-the-new-multi+platform-tri+ace-rpg
I never really liked any of Tri-Ace's games (besides Star Ocean Second Story on psx...even with its mishaps in translation), but this particular game looks interesting.

I think everyone is aware of this by now, Valkyria Chronicles DLC coming out tomorrow at $5.00 a piece.

Could I hear anyone's input on Persona 3? I'm interested in the whole Persona system... but the dating sim and random dungeons seems questionable.[/quote]

I think you should try Valkyrie Profile 2 for PS2, it's a great Tri-Ace game. End of Eternity looks better than SO 4 and IU, but I have not played either of those yet.

Persona 3 is an excellent game, it's true you must socialize to unlock stronger monsters but the meat of the game is in the dungeon/fusion system. You control characters whose magic attacks are based on monsters you find and fuse. The dungeon is huge, randomly generated and repetitive, but there are no random encounters. You sneak up on enemies and hit them to start battle, or vice versa. The story is about monsters and high schoolers for the most part, but you can always skip that if you hate it.

[quote name='willardhaven']I think you should try Valkyrie Profile 2 for PS2, it's a great Tri-Ace game. End of Eternity looks better than SO 4 and IU, but I have not played either of those yet.

Persona 3 is an excellent game, it's true you must socialize to unlock stronger monsters but the meat of the game is in the dungeon/fusion system. You control characters whose magic attacks are based on monsters you find and fuse. The dungeon is huge, randomly generated and repetitive, but there are no random encounters. You sneak up on enemies and hit them to start battle, or vice versa. The story is about monsters and high schoolers for the most part, but you can always skip that if you hate it.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll look into Valkyrie Profile 2 and I guess I'll go ahead and buy persona three (I like Random Generated dungeons like in Diablo 2 where it remains interesting, but in Time Stalkers its absolutely dull).

You might as well go with Persona 3 FES if you're going to pick it up. Soundtracks and art books are great but they can't beat extra game content.

Well, I ordered Persona 3 FES along with Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs Newcomers (lol, it looks awesome). Ima play Persona 3 FES with low expectations (and hopefully it will beat those expectations senseless).

If this ends up being good I might look into purchasing SMT: Devil Summoner 2
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73846
(has a nifty preorder bonus...hopefully I'll get to play a good portion of persona 3 before 5/12)
Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bIeJZoeCI
Reminds me of yakuza mixed with demonic pokemons.

Side note, been playing FFXII for the first time (being reserved about it due to FFX...imo FFX is prolly one of the worst of the series [I did put in 80 hours into it though]) and its great! Now I'm getting towards the end...whens the best point in the game to go for the extras (such as monster hunts, tournesol, etc)? I just beat Giruvegan part

I did all the extra stuff (espers, hunts weapons etc) just before the very end of the game, when you're about to depart for the Bahamut.

Some of the extra stuff is really rough though, I couldn't even scratch the end hunts and I was in the 60's

[quote name='dejeckt']Well, I ordered Persona 3 FES along with Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs Newcomers (lol, it looks awesome). Ima play Persona 3 FES with low expectations (and hopefully it will beat those expectations senseless).

If this ends up being good I might look into purchasing SMT: Devil Summoner 2
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73846
(has a nifty preorder bonus...hopefully I'll get to play a good portion of persona 3 before 5/12)
Trailer

[/quote]

Heh, I am going to wait and see on DS:2. I had to force myself to beat the last one, game was kinda shit imo. Besides, SM games are no longer made in small print runs so I am sure I will be able to get it for $15-20 a little bit after its out. On a side note, Persona 3 was a ton of fun, never bothered picking up FES for the added content, but if you like JRPGs made for depth you should enjoy it.

[quote name='heavyd853']I did all the extra stuff (espers, hunts weapons etc) just before the very end of the game, when you're about to depart for the Bahamut.

Some of the extra stuff is really rough though, I couldn't even scratch the end hunts and I was in the 60's[/quote]

Thanks for info, yea the extras seems to be ridiculous compared to other FF (how are you suppose to know that you weren't suppose to open some of the chests in the beginning to get the best weapon? that was pretty cheap).
Heh, I am going to wait and see on DS:2. I had to force myself to beat the last one, game was kinda shit imo. Besides, SM games are no longer made in small print runs so I am sure I will be able to get it for $15-20 a little bit after its out. On a side note, Persona 3 was a ton of fun, never bothered picking up FES for the added content, but if you like JRPGs made for depth you should enjoy it.

Good to know that SMT aren't made in small print runs (but that plushie seems like a good collectible). Thats what I've been hearing about SMT: DS, I heard initially its enjoyable but gets repetitive fast.

[quote name='dejeckt']
Side note, been playing FFXII for the first time (being reserved about it due to FFX...imo FFX is prolly one of the worst of the series [I did put in 80 hours into it though]) and its great! Now I'm getting towards the end...whens the best point in the game to go for the extras (such as monster hunts, tournesol, etc)? I just beat Giruvegan part[/quote]

I take it you never played FFVIII (that's assuming we're only counting main series titles).

That said, I agree that FFXII was infinitely better than X, I'd probably rank it in the series only behind VI, IV, and (probably) VII.

[quote name='bvharris']I take it you never played FFVIII (that's assuming we're only counting main series titles).

That said, I agree that FFXII was infinitely better than X, I'd probably rank it in the series only behind VI, IV, and (probably) VII.[/quote]

FFVIII takes too much flak. I'd say VIII is better than VII. Can't comment on X or XII though since I've never played/beaten them (played X , never finished , never played XII).

[quote name='bvharris']I take it you never played FFVIII (that's assuming we're only counting main series titles).

That said, I agree that FFXII was infinitely better than X, I'd probably rank it in the series only behind VI, IV, and (probably) VII.[/quote]

I actually did play 8, overall I liked 8 better than FFX. I felt that FFX, although extremely polished, felt disjointed and linear (barely could you really get a sense of exploration until the Calm Lands). I gotta try IV and 6 was awesome (truly the one of the first games that captured my undivided attention).

[quote name='depascal22']Didn't the first Devil Summoner have a smaller print run? You could still find that cheap a couple months after release.[/quote]
Yeah it did. But I was able to find new copies for a good six months after it was released.

[quote name='dejeckt']So what RPGs CAGers playing right now? Any hidden RPG gem to be found?[/quote]

Welcome to CAG. FYI, the er is already captured in the acronym CAG.

I've been play The World Ends With You. Not very hidden. Then again, few RPGs these days are.

[quote name='DQT']Welcome to CAG. FYI, the er is already captured in the acronym CAG.

I've been play The World Ends With You. Not very hidden. Then again, few RPGs these days are.[/quote]

Oo, I didn't realize I was saying cheapassgamerer.
Thats one game I wanted to try...too bad I don't own a DS

I've been playing ToV daily.
This is a game Ima buy when it comes to the PS3 (don't have 360); I always did like the Tales series (but at points it does feel very shallow).

On a side note...what ever happened to Last Remnant for the PS3 (has it been canceled). Not greatest of games I heard...but I still want to play

A little more info on End of Eternity (game made by tri-Ace in collaboration with Sega)

Representing tri-Ace's first project with any company other than Square Enix, End of Eternity looks to be a futuristic gun battle RPG in the vein of Parasite Eve. The game will take place entirely in a colossal machine-city called Burzel, whose millions of citizens subscribe to an (as yet unnamed) monotheistic religion. Director Takayuki Suguro points out that the player will never venture outside of Burzel in End of Eternity; what, if anything, exists beyond its borders is a mystery.
The Famitsu article reveals three characters: Vashyron, a 26 year old former soldier working for a private military company, 17 year old Zephyr, a boy scouted by Vashyron to work for his PMC, and a 19 year old girl known only as Experiment 20 -- an ominous moniker, as she's fated to die on her 20th birthday. Little more biographical info is found in the article, though the startling snippet of dialogue provided for hero Zephyr is worth noting: "The fact that I live is proof there is no God". Deep.
article ripped shamelessly from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173634 (Nick Des Barres, 4/8/09)

Also, their website (which was suppose to 'unveil' this new game) is gonna be up in about 50 minutes. Most likely have a teaser trailer of some sort.
http://eoe.sega.jp/

Last edited by a moderator:
whoo~!!! I beat the first half of Ys I + II... aka Ys I.

omg... so. good.

the only bad part is the final dungeon is a beeyatch... it's longer than the rest of the game and u gotta backtrack it like a muhfukka.

whoo~!!! I beat the first half of Ys I + II... aka Ys I.

omg... so. good.

the only bad part is the final dungeon is a beeyatch... it's longer than the rest of the game and u gotta backtrack it like a muhfukka.
I'm assuming you have the Wii version (is this any different from the PC version?). How is the gameplay, similar to zelda? Always wanted to play it...just never got around to play it :/

I'm about halfway through SMT: Nocturne. Awesome, awesome game. Lost Odyssey is next.
That game looks moody, how much is the going rate for that game used (might think about picking it up if Persona 3 is fun).

Bout to start Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha.
If you like that then you should consider to pick up a pre order of SMT: DS2 (you get a plushie at gamestop)

yeay Wii virtua console version.

the only Zelda's I ever played are the gameboy ones and LTTP... Ys is nothing like Zelda.

like... it's an action rpg but u do not have an attack button. You attack by walking into enemies... it's silly coz at high enough levels enemies die when u jus touch them.

hmmz, gotta try that Ys
Do they sell the pc version somewhere still (I heard there is a remake of 1 and 2 for the pc? or am I mistaken)

There's also a Ys for PS2. If you go for that Ys stay away from the PSP version...is what I've heard because of the load times or something. The PS2 version is fine.

While I was searching for a pc copy of Ys I and II eternal (to purchase) I think I caught a malware. Something called yebokafe and sisayomu; I couldn't stop it from starting up at boot so I just system restored it (I need to buy an antispyware one of these days). I think the PS2 one only has Ys 6 (well one that made it to the states); I couldn't find any copies of that pc version (only various tor*****...).
I always liked owning RPG titles, would've liked to find a copy for this pc (but I think its long gone by now).

Also, are there any significant difference between Ys I + II Eternal, Books or Complete?

[quote name='pete5883']Hm, looks like I should've skipped Devil Summoner after all.[/quote]

Because it sucks? Disappointing I know, the idea seemed fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back