George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire BOOK Discussion thread-Book 5 out July 12th

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, they didn't in the book either if I recall correctly. But Meryn Trant is still alive and well. I doubt Syrio escaped.[/QUOTE]

If that's Meryn.

I think there's a poignancy to Syrio's last battle with the wooden sword that would be lost if he lived on. In the book, that is.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who want it so that Jaqen == Syrio, but I think Arya's development is just fine with them being distinct people.

It just feels a little much, to me, for Syrio/Jaqen to escape death by the Lannister guards (who killed everybody else they were after) and instead get thrown in the Black Cells (again, how and why?), then he gets picked up by Yoren with those other 2 bad, bad men, then he survives Harrenhal to wind up in Oldtown doing who the hell knows what however many leagues from Arya.

I don't see what purpose it serves to have all of that be one person -- taken separately, each character is already rich enough. Is it just a nostalgia thing, that people want the man who taught Arya in her first lessons to also be the man who introduced her to the Faceless Men?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I didn't want to post this in the tv thread, but in tonight episode they didn't show syrio die, just saying...[/QUOTE]
You know, as great as that scene was, I kept screaming "pick up a real sword!!". I mean with all the incapacitated guards on the ground, wouldn't it make sense to grab one of their swords?

[quote name='dothog']I think there's a poignancy to Syrio's last battle with the wooden sword that would be lost if he lived on. In the book, that is.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who want it so that Jaqen == Syrio, but I think Arya's development is just fine with them being distinct people.

It just feels a little much, to me, for Syrio/Jaqen to escape death by the Lannister guards (who killed everybody else they were after) and instead get thrown in the Black Cells (again, how and why?), then he gets picked up by Yoren with those other 2 bad, bad men, then he survives Harrenhal to wind up in Oldtown doing who the hell knows what however many leagues from Arya.

I don't see what purpose it serves to have all of that be one person -- taken separately, each character is already rich enough. Is it just a nostalgia thing, that people want the man who taught Arya in her first lessons to also be the man who introduced her to the Faceless Men?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it necessarily has to be
Jaqen=Syrio, but they could both be Faceless Men. GRRM isn't shy about killing people and describing their deaths and Syrio is a notable omission.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I don't think it necessarily has to be
Jaqen=Syrio, but they could both be Faceless Men. GRRM isn't shy about killing people and describing their deaths and Syrio is a notable omission.
[/QUOTE]

Other notable omissions: Balon Greyjoy. Hot Pie. Lommy. Unless...they're Faceless Men?!

Martin, you magnificent bastard!

No, I don't think
Jaqen = Syrio.
I think it's that Sansa is the one that thinks life is a fairy tale and learns the hard way it's not. While Arya just wants to be like Nymeria (the warrior, not her wolf) and is getting exactly what she wants by meeting these strange foreigners.

My guess is she ends up with Dany. Those two sharing chapters would be an interesting turn of events. Plus, Dany could
learn all about Jon and respect him, because it's pretty much a given that those two are going to end up together, probably as the two victors of the "game of thrones" based on the book series name...which indicates the entire series is just one grand "song" like the ones the commoners in the books sing (Florian & Jonquil, The Bear And The Maiden Fair, etc.). That it's all about Dany and Jon.

I liked the first book of the "Wheel Of Time" series, after that it kinda got old and dragged on. I didn't get passed book 4. I liked the Drizzt books but again, started to get stale and repetative after book 7 or 8? Would I like these?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ These kick the living shit out of Wheel Of Time.[/QUOTE]

That's good enough for me. I guess I'll try to dig into the first book once this week of overnight hell is over.

Just finished the 4th, it was a quick read. I really enjoyed it, I know it was missing some "big" characters, but I thought it told a couple really good stories.

I guess I understand the dislike for the book coming from people who read it on release. That is to say, they ALSO read the author's epilogue saying, "Wait a year for more!" The wait has probably been frustrating, and I can understand how that frustration might manifest itself in criticism of Feast of Crows.

But the book taken by itself was enjoyable. A few comments/questions...

I think he continued the Jaime/Brienne story beautifully from Book 3. IMO it's the strongest of the narratives in the book, I think the tone and pacing is spot-on, I'm really impressed by Martin's work in those chapters. To me it's got all the ingredients for really strong, true drama. I'm as excited to read more about J/B as I am to return to Tyrion, Dany, Davos, and Jon.

The Faceless Man from the prologue who became Pate turns out to be an assistant of sorts for "The Mage," i.e. a rogue archmaester who doesn't want to suppress dragons/magic. Is there much speculation on what Pate/Faceless Man's role is? Were there hints I missed?

I suppose I'm free to google this shit now that I'm finally done with the 4 books. Martin's ending is a way of stirring up these sorts of questions, I know, but I'm wondering if I missed something. I don't know if he's a protector of The Mage and his way of thinking, or if he's an agent of the ruling archmaesters who prefer a dragon-less existence.

The motivation for shipping Aemon to Oldtown felt like bullshit to me when I first read it, and after slogging through all the Samwell chapters, it still feels like bullshit.

Martin needed a reason to tell us about the dragons and archmaesters, why couldn't it just have been Samwell delivering a message to the archmaesters from Aemon -- and absconding with Gilly and the king's blood-ed baby while he's at it? That would have worked equally well, I think.

Jon/Aemon's decision to send a 102 year old man on a sea journey just seems completely stupid. On the Wall, so what if Aemon might be threatened by Melisandre, it's still uncertain if those conditions on the Wall will lead to his end. A sea voyage, OTOH, is certain death for Aemon, how can you expect a man that old to survive that? From the very beginning, I expected every Samwell chapter to somehow announce Aemon's death.

There's a few points where I think Martin forces things unnaturally, and that's one of them.

I hope he abandons the constantly shifting POVs in telling the stories of the Ironmen and Dornish. I like that I'm learning more about these people and their ways, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting bounced from one POV to another. It's a little jarring.

I hope he sticks with those stories, though. I enjoy what I've read of Prince Martell and the cuckold Greyjoy. Victarion. Those are interesting characters, I hope to read more about them

Just finished Book 3 last night..

Holy crap Zombie Catelyn! I did not see that coming.

Other aspects like Jon taking over the Night's Watch, Tyrion's revenge, and Arya going postal were a bit easier to see coming, but still enjoyable. I look forward to seeing where those threads pick up in 4/5 (glad I don't have to wait 5 years to find out what happens to Tyrion).

I'm going to try and read all of book 4 in the brief time before 5 comes out, though I'm not going to kill myself to do it. I do know it'll be hard to avoid spoilers for the new one if I don't though. :D

The good thing about Book 4 is that it's much shorter than Books 1-3, Books 2 and 3 especially. It gets a tough time from fans, but I liked it, it flew by as quickly for me as the others. You should be able to finish just in time for the 5th.

As I had $30 worth of Borders Bucks that I had to use up before the end of this month and only had books 1-3, I used them on an order for book 4 and a pre-order of book 5. After Borders discount, it was about $9.50 out of pocket, since I ordered the hardcovers (had 1-3 in hardcover).

Now it's just a matter to find the time to start reading book 1. :shock:

A little under halfway through book too and the shit is getting real.

Stannis, King Stannis rather, has shown up during Cat's trip to see Renly's true intentions

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']everyone beware. amazon.de sent copies out early. people have it in hand and the internet is starting to fill with spoilers.[/QUOTE]
rLGZz.jpg

I'm still buying it, but I hope somebody has the decency to scan it and post it to the intertubes, like folks did the Harry Potterz.

Because I will read that bullshit.

[quote name='dothog']The good thing about Book 4 is that it's much shorter than Books 1-3, Books 2 and 3 especially. It gets a tough time from fans, but I liked it, it flew by as quickly for me as the others. You should be able to finish just in time for the 5th.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think we're the only two that liked book 4. I liked Brienne's stuff and how she's starting to emerge as a more prominent character, loved the
not-so-subtle hint that The Hound was alive and well
and it was a nice change of pace with the Dorne chapters mixing things up. The Iron Islanders' chapters were good. Seems like a lot of interesting setup for book 5, with
so many people going to seek out Dany.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, I think we're the only two that liked book 4. [/QUOTE]

I'm only about 1/5th of the way through book 4, but so far I don't enjoy it any less than the others. I definitely miss some of my favorite characters, but it's still an engaging read. Having a 2 week wait for book 5 instead of years is helping me approach it with an open mind.

Still wishing George would combine books 4 and 5 and republish them chronologically. I liked book 4, but it does suck to have the POVs broken apart like that. The beauty of the previous books was you didn't have to read far to get back to the events of any given POV.

I felt like Book 4 was worth it for the Jaime and Brienne chapters alone. They're really good. I know some people are bored by Brienne. Not me.

If anybody sees a scan of Dance, LINK DAT BIDNESS.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, I think we're the only two that liked book 4. I liked Brienne's stuff and how she's starting to emerge as a more prominent character, loved the
not-so-subtle hint that The Hound was alive and well
and it was a nice change of pace with the Dorne chapters mixing things up. The Iron Islanders' chapters were good. Seems like a lot of interesting setup for book 5, with
so many people going to seek out Dany.
[/QUOTE]

I think most everyone liked the Brienne and Jamie and Cersei sections of book 4. So you're not alone there.

It was all the crap with the Greyjoys and the Dornish that turned people off as there are already too many (IMO) characters in the book and they introduced several new ones in these plot lines. And the plotlines just weren't particularly compelling anyway IMO.

I'm at the very beginning of book 4, about 100 pages in or so. I couldn't care less about the Dornish already.

For some reason I liked Dorne, and the events in Dorne, even though I understand it's muddled. The Red Viper was a really good introduction, and I think that Doran is an interesting character.

The interest generated in me by those two was enough to carry me through all the Dorne stuff even though I'm happy to concede that -- as others have noted -- it's a bit of a mess. It's diluted in the same way that the battle for the Seastone chair is. Not only is GRRM constantly bouncing from POV to POV, he's doing it using fairly unfamiliar characters as the POV. Not that it's bad to introduce new POVs, but it gets to be unsettling.

Still, despite GRRM's machinations with those stories, I find them compelling. Victarion is a neat character, and Eulon is, too. I'm sure
Theon and Asha are still out there
, so the Seastone stuff could really become an interesting B or C story, and it'll be fun to learn how it ties in with the overarching Battle of Ice and Fire.

[quote name='munch']I'm at the very beginning of book 4, about 100 pages in or so. I couldn't care less about the Dornish already.[/QUOTE]

Something happens with the Dornes (I won't get specific as to whether its a person or group of people to avoid spoiling or foreshadowing) that is actually one of the most memorable moments for me from book 4.

I want to read book 5 but I'm not lugging around a 10 pound hardcover to do so. I can wait until the paperback comes out at the library or used book store. (I'm cheap!)

[quote name='eldergamer']wishes jamie and briene would've knocked boots in book 4, but[/quote]

yucky post in thread

[quote name='eldergamer']I want to read book 5 but I'm not lugging around a 10 pound hardcover to do so. I can wait until the paperback comes out at the library or used book store. (I'm cheap!)

A couple days ago I heard there was a scan of the first part of DwD floating around at 4chan. I looked all over, starting with /lit, and found nothing.

Outside of an alarming collection of sharpies in asses.

*shudder*

Internet let me down on this one, I figured if I could read most of the potterz well in advance of release, I'd be on DwD early. You hurt me this time, internet, and I'm not only referring to the sharpies.

[quote name='dothog']A couple days ago I heard there was a scan of the first part of DwD floating around at 4chan. I looked all over, starting with /lit, and found nothing.

Outside of an alarming collection of sharpies in asses.

*shudder*

Internet let me down on this one, I figured if I could read most of the potterz well in advance of release, I'd be on DwD early. You hurt me this time, internet, and I'm not only referring to the sharpies.[/QUOTE]

there is a leak on 4chan, its the first 350 pages or so in jpeg format and a number of the pictures are blurry. i havent bothered looking for it because i heard the quality isnt great and it's not the whole book.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Seems pointless to bother now with the release less than a week away anyway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I had to cancel my Amazon pre-order since I am going out of town a few days after the release and it wouldn't get here in time. I want it for the plane, so it looks like I'll be paying book store prices. :bomb: I really need to get a Kindle.

As I've said a few times--yet another reason to get a Kindle (or other e-reader!)! :D

I have the Kindle book pre-ordered and it will automatically download on release day. :D

And it was a bit cheaper than the hardcover on Amazon as it was $14.99. More than I like to pay for an e-book, but I could swallow it since it was at least cheaper than the hardback.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As I've said a few times--yet another reason to get a Kindle (or other e-reader!)! :D

I have the Kindle book pre-ordered and it will automatically download on release day. :D

And it was a bit cheaper than the hardcover on Amazon as it was $14.99. More than I like to pay for an e-book, but I could swallow it since it was at least cheaper than the hardback.[/QUOTE]Price point of a Kindle notwithstanding, of course. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Price point of a Kindle notwithstanding, of course. ;)[/QUOTE]

Of course. If you read a lot they pay for themselves overtime though with the often cheaper prices for new books and all the legal free books out there (public domain classics, indie authors who give away a book or two to get you hooked etc.)--especially now that prices have dropped so much on e-readers.

Added bonus--I read a ton more after getting one. I hated buying books before as I almost never re-read anything and thus it's just useless clutter around the house and/or a hassle to sell or donate.

Anyway, enough of my Kindle sales pitch! :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']As I've said a few times--yet another reason to get a Kindle (or other e-reader!)! :D

And it was a bit cheaper than the hardcover on Amazon as it was $14.99. More than I like to pay for an e-book, but I could swallow it since it was at least cheaper than the hardback.[/QUOTE]

I like having the actual book. Whats the best way to get this on day 1 without paying crazy shipping or the retail price?

[quote name='yankeessuck']I like having the actual book. Whats the best way to get this on day 1 without paying crazy shipping or the retail price?[/QUOTE]

Steal it? :roll:

I mean, if you want to buy it on Amazon and get one-day shipping, it's exorbitant. If you want to buy it in a store, you're going to pay retail price.

I don't often pre-order books, so I was shocked that Amazon doesn't have an affordable release-date delivery option, but they don't seem to.

[quote name='bvharris']Steal it? :roll:

I mean, if you want to buy it on Amazon and get one-day shipping, it's exorbitant. If you want to buy it in a store, you're going to pay retail price.

I don't often pre-order books, so I was shocked that Amazon doesn't have an affordable release-date delivery option, but they don't seem to.[/QUOTE]I think that their RDD system hasn't made it to books for reasons that don't seem to make sense.

DWD is the first book I've pre-ordered in a very long time, and I went hardcover with it as I did with FFC because I had the first three books as a gift in hardcover. Made sense to keep the set running as is, in hardcover.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think that their RDD system hasn't made it to books for reasons that don't seem to make sense.
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't make sense to me either. Shouldn't be any more difficult to ship a book RDD than it is to ship a game. Maybe they feel the discount in price they offer over b&m stores on books (which is far more significant than the difference on games in my experience) at release is enough to win them a good enough market share without RDD. Besides, how often does a book come along that you fell you must have on release day? Like you, it's been quite a while for me. I'd imagine that sentiment is much more prevalent for games.

They're also heavily invested in the Kindle (they now sell more Kindle books than they do hardcover and paperbacks combined per a press release they put out a couple months ago).

Point being they probably don't necessarily want to ramp up print sales as they want people to switch to Kindles. So no reason to start offering RDD for books.

[quote name='bvharris']Doesn't make sense to me either. Shouldn't be any more difficult to ship a book RDD than it is to ship a game. Maybe they feel the discount in price they offer over b&m stores on books (which is far more significant than the difference on games in my experience) at release is enough to win them a good enough market share without RDD. Besides, how often does a book come along that you fell you must have on release day? Like you, it's been quite a while for me. I'd imagine that sentiment is much more prevalent for games.[/QUOTE]Doesn't make any sense to me, until you see this post below:

[quote name='dmaul1114']They're also heavily invested in the Kindle (they now sell more Kindle books than they do hardcover and paperbacks combined per a press release they put out a couple months ago).

Point being they probably don't necessarily want to ramp up print sales as they want people to switch to Kindles. So no reason to start offering RDD for books.[/QUOTE]And then it makes perfect sense of why there's no RDD for books. With enough discounts on books on a Kindle, the price of the Kindle disappears with the repeated savings.

I just don't do enough reading to have one worthwhile to me, though with $3-4 savings per book on release on the Kindle versus the hardback copy, do that 30 or so times, and you've paid for the base Kindle cost.

Yep. And if you currently sometimes buy classics that are in the public domain, that's even more savings as you can just download say Crime and Punishment from any of the legal, public domain book sites and save $7-10+ vs. buying a paperback or hardback reprinting.

But yeah, you do have to read enough to make it worthwhile. Though that threshold is dropping now that Kindles are down to $114 for the cheapest model (wifi only Kindle 3 with special offers--ads on the screen savers and home page, but not while reading).

[quote name='yankeessuck']I like having the actual book. Whats the best way to get this on day 1 without paying crazy shipping or the retail price?[/QUOTE]

Get amazon prime. You can get it free if you're a student, or sign up for the 30 day trial and cancel before they charge you.

Prime usually doesn't get you stuff on release day though, I usually get stuff a day or two after if it's just prime and not RDD.

I think he's heading out of town and has to get it that day to be home for the package or something.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Prime usually doesn't get you stuff on release day though, I usually get stuff a day or two after if it's just prime and not RDD.

I think he's heading out of town and has to get it that day to be home for the package or something.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. If I didnt get one day shipping then I would just get the slow free shipping.

Why is the store making you pay retail price? Book stores around here sell new releases at 30% off for like the first week.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why is the store making you pay retail price? Book stores around here sell new releases at 30% off for like the first week.[/QUOTE]

I dont know. Thats why I asked. I never buy new books.

Go down to your Borders or Barnes and Noble and ask about it. I can confirm Borders is doing it for DoD, I'm sure B&N is too. It's 30% off normally, and 40% if you have one of their membership cards.

bread's done
Back