Get $5 Gift Card at Best Buy for trading in ANY old cell phone + other small devices

lawdood

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Didn't see this posted anywhere else on CAG and didn't really know what forum it went in so decided this was as good as any.

Saw this on the BB website and went to my local Best Buy with 3 old flip phones I had each several years old. About 15 minutes later walked out with a $15 gift card. Decent deal if you have old cell phones collecting dust in a drawer like I did. Can also turn in other "small devices" (working or not) listed on the website too. Obviously, newer devices on their lists with greater trade in values will net you greater gift cards, but pretty sure this is the first time they've taken in anything, on their list or not. Limit 3 devices per day. Here's the link w/ details:

UPDATED: Offer valid until Feb. 2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/regularCat%3Apcmcat293300050004/pcmcat293300050004.c?id=pcmcat293300050004&AID=10597222&PID=1312731&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FComputers-Promotions%2FregularCat%253Apcmcat293300050004%2Fpcmcat293300050004.c%3Fid%3Dpcmcat293300050004&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to recycle mine and apparently there has to be a receipt or something because I would have to go to a different Best Buy because the first one doesn't have the license to recycle electronics.

Does this promotion work on [corded] mice? I have a used PS2 controller as well that I wouldn't mind getting rid of along with an old cell phone.

So, I re-read the fine print in the Best Buy e-mail:

"Small device means any product in the following categories: laptops, tablets/eReaders, mobile phones, MP3, gaming hardware (console & handheld), DSLR, digital point & shoot, and digital camcorder."

I guess some of us got lucky with our trade-ins.

Ended up trading in 5 old AT&T flio phone with no real problems at my local Best Buy. Plus the girl who waited on me was super hot and didnt seem like the complete bitch you would think she was by looking at her.

Traded in 4 old phones without any hassle. $20 GC for some junk I had lying around the house...

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

I went to a Best Buy in Chicago and they said no store within Chicago city limits can do it because of city laws. But they recommended a few stores in surrounding suburbs. I guess I will try a store in Norridge, IL.

Do they care about Batteries or battery covers? I have 5 samsung gravies. Three missing batteries, one missing batttery cover and a CRACKED Iphone 3g. Even if the value is 0, they will credit you $5?

Trade in your gently used small device — working or not — and receive a Best Buy gift card for the value of your trade-in, worth a minimum of $5.

This part confuses me.

[quote name='Daniel09']Even if the value is 0, they will credit you $5?

This part confuses me.[/QUOTE]
The least they're going to give you is $5. So yes, zero value will equal five bucks.

[quote name='chicagoz']I went to a Best Buy in Chicago and they said no store within Chicago city limits can do it because of city laws. But they recommended a few stores in surrounding suburbs. I guess I will try a store in Norridge, IL.[/QUOTE]

Instead of driving out there, check their trade-in page first. It will give you a list of trade-in stores in your area.

this is slightly off topic, but i found this pretty funny. It is from a sd poster
"I did the same thing, went to several stores in one day miles apart. They flagged me today, said that I was no longer able to trade in devices. The manager told me that I was not welcome to trade in any more items...
mad.gif

Consequently, my wife was also flagged in the system. We had a hay day throughout the week, as we had tons of electronics from a cell phone liquidation auction 5 years ago. But, up to today, I have traded in over 140 cell phones, and 80 mp3 players.

So, technically, I was flagged for abusing. But, to make the record straight, the system has a real limit...

What is hysterical was that the manager was so angry,as if I committed a crime, and told me that I was abusing the system, stating that the program was designed to bring in customers, and not to lose money for the store. Bottom line he finished up telling me I wasn't welcome to trade in any more items from now on .....I wouldn't be able to trade any more items at his Best Buy. So, I called corporate, and they told me that the GM of the store has a right to place a limit on trade ins, and they told me in the fine print, that the store has a right to refuse. I checked a different Best Buy, and to confirm...they told me that I hit the "Max" on trade ins, and I couldn't trade in any more items." LMfao

[quote name='YBX87']this is slightly off topic, but i found this pretty funny. It is from a sd poster
"I did the same thing, went to several stores in one day miles apart. They flagged me today, said that I was no longer able to trade in devices. The manager told me that I was not welcome to trade in any more items...
mad.gif

Consequently, my wife was also flagged in the system. We had a hay day throughout the week, as we had tons of electronics from a cell phone liquidation auction 5 years ago. But, up to today, I have traded in over 140 cell phones, and 80 mp3 players.

So, technically, I was flagged for abusing. But, to make the record straight, the system has a real limit...

What is hysterical was that the manager was so angry,as if I committed a crime, and told me that I was abusing the system, stating that the program was designed to bring in customers, and not to lose money for the store. Bottom line he finished up telling me I wasn't welcome to trade in any more items from now on .....I wouldn't be able to trade any more items at his Best Buy. So, I called corporate, and they told me that the GM of the store has a right to place a limit on trade ins, and they told me in the fine print, that the store has a right to refuse. I checked a different Best Buy, and to confirm...they told me that I hit the "Max" on trade ins, and I couldn't trade in any more items." LMfao[/QUOTE]

You traded in 140 phones and 80 mp3 players in this promotion alone? Do you know if they take cracked screens? I made $45 yesturday. Only thing I have left is a 11 year old camcorder and a cracked iphone.

[quote name='Daniel09']You traded in 140 phones and 80 mp3 players in this promotion alone? Do you know if they take cracked screens? I made $45 yesturday. Only thing I have left is a 11 year old camcorder and a cracked iphone.[/QUOTE]
no, it was not me. I got it from a poster on sd, who posted about the experience, after abusing it to death.

I just cashed in 6 phones today and got a $30 gc. That was so sweet, thank you for the heads up on this. too bad it ended today, I found out too late. I can probably collect a lot more old phones from people.

What type of walkie talkies are you guys trading? Mind got turned down today. The look just like the ones they use in the store.

Saw the extension this morning. That's great!

[quote name='WV Matsui']What type of walkie talkies are you guys trading? Mind got turned down today. The look just like the ones they use in the store.

Saw the extension this morning. That's great![/QUOTE]

They were very, very low quality walkie talkies that I got for free from a hospital party giveaway. So crappy that I don't even think there was a brand name on them. Definitely kids' toys. Best Buy counted them as 2 separate items so I got $10 for the pair. I got lucky for sure with that trade-in.

[quote name='parKer']They were very, very low quality walkie talkies that I got for free from a hospital party giveaway. So crappy that I don't even think there was a brand name on them. Definitely kids' toys. Best Buy counted them as 2 separate items so I got $10 for the pair. I got lucky for sure with that trade-in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try again!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Thanks, I'll try again![/QUOTE]

It ended Saturday, so I doubt you will be successful.

None of the local BB near me can do the trade-in without a receipt because of the county laws regarding hazardous material (in this case, batteries). Closest BB that will do it is almost an hour away.

[quote name='DNukem170']It ended Saturday, so I doubt you will be successful.

None of the local BB near me can do the trade-in without a receipt because of the county laws regarding hazardous material (in this case, batteries). Closest BB that will do it is almost an hour away.[/QUOTE]

It ends February 2 now...

I traded in 12 cell phones yesterday. They rejected 2 MP3 players, because they were not in the system. Customer service would only take 3 items. But the mobile desk took all 12.

[quote name='YBX87']no, it was not me. I got it from a poster on sd, who posted about the experience, after abusing it to death.[/QUOTE]

It's hilarious that he makes $1,100 in shitty trades and complains for being banned for it. What did he expect would happen? Those SD people are ridiculously greedy. I'm surprised they EXTENDED the promotion, since SD typically ruins everything that can be exploited. :roll:

Of course I see this thread day after it is over. :D

Aw well, old mobile phones not taking up much space anyways.

[quote name='ck76']Of course I see this thread day after it is over. :D

Aw well, old mobile phones not taking up much space anyways.[/QUOTE]

It's not over. It was extended until Feb 2

[quote name='WV Matsui']It ends February 2 now...[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you guys are looking at. The deal is now $25 for old tablets through 2/2, not the same thing.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Not sure what you guys are looking at. The deal is now $25 for old tablets through 2/2, not the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice. I have a broken digital camera I'd love to turn into $5.

Got another $10. Took old psp and 10 year old camera. Did not take my broken iphone, they couldn't get the MEID from phone.

[quote name='strizay']I don't see anything about hard drives, do they work too?[/QUOTE]

so, were u able to trade in some hard drives?

I didn't make it up there yet, I'm waiting until it warms up a little. I'll post back whether it worked or not though.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Not sure what you guys are looking at. The deal is now $25 for old tablets through 2/2, not the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Heh heh heh, I have an old Mimo that looks like a 7" tablet, going to try to trade it in for the $25. Worst case I'll get a $5 GC.

As for hard drives, I have a pile of internal hard drives and CD/DVD drives, however given that I tried other computer parts/accessories/peripheral devices and those would not come up under any of the acceptable categories, I doubt they will give the $5 on them.

I hope it's not just tablets. I have more phones to trade in. I'm going to head out in a bit to find out. I'm not going to bring the hard drives though, they probably will not work.

[quote name='strizay']I hope it's not just tablets. I have more phones to trade in. I'm going to head out in a bit to find out. I'm not going to bring the hard drives though, they probably will not work.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the link in the bottom post of the previous page; the $5 GC "small electronic device" trade in promo has been extended to February 2nd.

I just checked their electronics trade in page and the Mimo didn't show up in the search, so I should be golden to trade it in as a generic tablet and get the $25 GC...

yep, I'm just here to update. They are still taking phones, mp3 players and digital cameras. I just exchanged 5 for $25. Hard drives and Xbox 360 controller batteries do not work

Traded my Sansa MP3 player Nokia 6555 but my Nokia 2600 (somebody is actually charging $24 on Amazon for one!) and HTC Aria were not accepted due to not being in the system. Odd, as the Aria is much newer than my other phones.

considering that the promotion was extended till feb. 2, i just wanted to verify if the promo is still valid on any device? the reason i'm asking is because the fine print says "not all products are eligible for trade-in"

also, the memo to the employees to register things that aren't in their systems as "recyclable" is only dated till the 19th. is this memo also extended to the 2nd of feb?

reason i'm asking this is cause i'd like to save myself, as well as other cag members, from taking the time or effort of going to best buy to trade in things only to be rejected.

[quote name='SereneStream']considering that the promotion was extended till feb. 2, i just wanted to verify if the promo is still valid on any device? the reason i'm asking is because the fine print says "not all products are eligible for trade-in"

also, the memo to the employees to register things that aren't in their systems as "recyclable" is only dated till the 19th. is this memo also extended to the 2nd of feb?

reason i'm asking this is cause i'd like to save myself, as well as other cag members, from taking the time or effort of going to best buy to trade in things only to be rejected.[/QUOTE]
Items that belong to catagories listed in the fine print work too. My brother just traded in 2 old film style cameras 2 days ago. I'm pretty sure they just need to input the items serial/or model number to process the recycle.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/regularCat%3Apcmcat293300050004/pcmcat293300050004.c?id=pcmcat293300050004

*Small device means any product in the following categories: laptops, tablets/e-readers, mobile phones, MP3, gaming hardware (console and handheld), DSLR and digital point-and-shoot cameras, and digital camcorders.
ex) Gaming hardware probably means home/portable consoles and does not include accessories like controllers.

For everything else basically bring in an item from any category accepted. I do not believe that any accessories will get you the $5 gift card, but they can recycle it for free or give you something if it has value in their trade system.

Has anyone tried to unload some old 3.5" hard drives? I have a few of them I took out of old computers at college (they were free for the taking, don't worry) and they're each around 30-40GB. I also found a bunch of shitty 128mb DDR RAM. Any chance BB will take those for $5 apiece? :lol:

Just trying to get as much money/credit as I can out of these things to soften the blow of buying a new desktop for after I graduate.

bread's done
Back