GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
cboxmaxpayne2.jpg

DAY 6 DEAL (Final Day): Max Payne 2

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne delivers the most intense gameplay experience imaginable. The fierce, yet stylish action sequences and slow-motion gunplay that has become synonymous with Max Payne is back and better than ever. New and enhanced moves and options provide breathtaking cinematic game play"

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
:bouncy:

No Achievements for this one! :cry:

Note: Max Payne 2 is THE FINAL deal in this series of Daily Deals. There will be no "Daily Deal" on December 8th!

Previous Deals:
Day 1: Deus Ex for $0.99 (discussed until post #53)
Day 2: Shadowrun for $0.99 (discussed until post #97)
Day 3: Viva Pinata for $0.99
Day 4: Blacklight Tango Down for $0.99
Day 5: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='psunami']Max Payne 2? Bah. Just kidding. A fun game in it's day.

I still have my original Xbox copy of that if I want to give it another whirl.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox version isn't nearly as good.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Good catch Toothpick -- it's showing up as $0.99 online as well right now..

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/

Maybe tomorrow will bring Gears of War or something big! You know you want to Microsoft! haha[/QUOTE]

Good game, not sure if .99 cents is cheap enough for that old of a game when it looks like it has DRM install limits. I don't know why these companies use install limits on such old games that they practically give away in these sales. I may just wait for the next sale on this for steam

Anyone getting this when trying to purchase Max Payne 2:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

"

[quote name='pROvIs']usually there is an option in the game to use one, if not you need a gamepad key mapper.[/QUOTE]
ok i will google that , thanks

is anyone else having problems loging in and buying mp2?

[quote name='sir-fly']how do i know if i can use a controller on these window games??
im new to the whole pc game thing[/QUOTE]

Welcome to PC gaming. I'm sure you're discovering that we have really really good deals on this side of the fence :)

While Max Payne 2 is a third-person shooter and that seems to set off "I need a controller!" alarms in peoples heads, MP was designed to use a mouse & keyboard, and works very well with that set-up, so I don't know how good a controller will be.

As for your broader question, most recent PC games -- released in the last two or three years, lets say -- work very well with a wired XBox 360 controller. For older ones you might have to user Xpadder or Joy2Key (haven't used either of those myself, but have heard good things).

Lastly, for everyone: MP2 is a good game, well worth the dollar investment.

The last sale really needs to be a bang and not a whimper. Max Payne 2 is great and all, 5 or 6 years ago.

For those getting this, the PC version is easily the superior version: graphics, mods, etc.

where do you see how many activation keys a game will let you use before locking you out? it looks like it changes game to game?

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Welcome to PC gaming. I'm sure you're discovering that we have really really good deals on this side of the fence :)

While Max Payne 2 is a third-person shooter and that seems to set off "I need a controller!" alarms in peoples heads, MP was designed to use a mouse & keyboard, and works very well with that set-up, so I don't know how good a controller will be.

As for your broader question, most recent PC games -- released in the last two or three years, lets say -- work very well with a wired XBox 360 controller. For older ones you might have to user Xpadder or Joy2Key (haven't used either of those myself, but have heard good things).

Lastly, for everyone: MP2 is a good game, well worth the dollar investment.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the brake down,, i will get use to the key board and mouse soon ,lol i love the 360 controller though.

Darn, I already have this through the Max Payne steam bundle. Well, if the second one is anything like the short bit I've played through on the first one, it is easily worth a dollar.

It seems like they're just flipping a coin to decide what games to put on sale. You'd think they would be smarter and push their exclusives more, like the viva pinata and age of empires sales.

too bad neither yesterday nor today's deals are LIVE-enabled, would've bought otherwise (I'm really not interested in old games if they aren't LIVE-enabled)

[quote name='Eazy7']It seems like they're just flipping a coin to decide what games to put on sale. You'd think they would be smarter and push their exclusives more, like the viva pinata and age of empires sales.[/QUOTE]

I think they are trying to get people to use the client that normally wouldn't. Those that are interested in MS titles don't have much of a choice. They use it or don't play it. I still think they would benefit from putting some of them on sale though. When's the last time they even published a major PC title? AoEIII? All of their studios have left, were sold, or shutdown. I don't see them having a ton of exclusives anymore and I have a hard time believing they are serious about PC gaming even with sales like this.

If they put 1/10th of the R & D they put into xbox into GfW it would be a much more seemless experience. I would be happy with a simple friends/chat/im client that I could run on my pc in the background and see what people are doing/playing but they haven't even provided that.

[quote name='sir-fly']thanks for the brake down,, i will get use to the key board and mouse soon ,lol i love the 360 controller though.[/QUOTE]

xpadder is very good if you want to use your 360 controller (or almost any other pad) with games that don't natively support them. Cost a few bucks for the current version, but I found it worth the money.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']The Xbox version isn't nearly as good.[/QUOTE]

Why is that, other than the obvious graphics upgrade on the pc? I have an old xb copy, never really got around to playing it though...

[quote name='bajingo']where do you see how many activation keys a game will let you use before locking you out? it looks like it changes game to game?[/QUOTE]

I found the answer to this. Looks like its pretty lenient to me. 5 Activations per month.

SecuROM – Some of our titles (see below) will be using this DRM feature which allows for Five activations a month on any hardware. The key is tied to your account, so as long as you are logging in on your account you can install this program up to 5 times in a month (not just 5 times total).

Got this from http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/9446.aspx

[quote name='dark-star']Why is that, other than the obvious graphics upgrade on the pc? I have an old xb copy, never really got around to playing it though...[/QUOTE]

The console versions had very forgiving auto-aim. Normally I don't have a preference between a gamepad or mouse and keyboard, but with Max Payne the extra precision makes a huge difference.
As you already pointed out, the pc version looks much better too. Oh, I forgot about some pretty cool mods that were released as well.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Welcome to PC gaming. I'm sure you're discovering that we have really really good deals on this side of the fence :)

[/QUOTE]

^This, I played Max Payne 1 and 2 with mouse and keyboard and it controlled fine. The only part that was a bit of a pain was the "blood trail" sequences.

Damn this appears to be the last daily deal. Every other day had a little message below the game showing "Come back tomorrow for another great deal." Max Payne 2 doesn't have that message.

[quote name='ramenXnoodles']Nope. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the daily deal. It hasn't gone up but it's showing for 99 cents.[/QUOTE]
That was yesterday. Max Payne 2 is today.

[quote name='ramenXnoodles']Nope. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the daily deal. It hasn't gone up but it's showing for 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

STALKER was yesterdays deal.. (probably is still available)

And as jaredhenry13 noted (and confirmed on their facebook and twitter accounts) this is THE FINAL DEAL.. so NO deal tomorrow... buuut let's be honest, I have a feeling they are going to do a pre-christmas sale like Steam and everywhere else...

So thank you Microsoft and Games for Windows for a wonderful 6 days of deals ($1 a piece for a game is awesome!) :applause: and here is to hoping for more $1 deals before christmas... I think Gears of War and Fable would warm everyones heart ;)

Not a bad run. I picked up all but Deus Ex and Stalker as I had them on steam.

So all in all we had

Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

My only complain is that now the obsessive compulsive in me wants Max Payne 1 :(

How come Games for Window's client does not have the new deals on a front page or something? I feel I always have to go through pages of games to find what is on sale...that just doesn't make sense to me.

Sigh, so this is the last deal, eh? Not a bad one to go out on, though I'm surprised it wasn't a LIVE-enabled game, just 'cuz. And I agree with CrossFireXT17; I'll also bet there'll be a Chrismastime sale.

Now, to pick up Max Payne 2... which I couldn't originally run on my rig at the time of release (yes, my system was that bad).

[quote name='pROvIs']Not a bad run. I picked up all but Deus Ex and Stalker as I had them on steam.

So all in all we had

Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

My only complain is that now the obsessive compulsive in me wants Max Payne 1 :([/QUOTE]
You'd love the PS3 then. They posted Syphon Filter 1 and 3. They went about 2 years without putting up Syphon Filter 2.

Kind of dissapointed with the last day sale. Oh well, I haven't had any problems with gfwl, but I don't see myself using it unless there is an insanely good deal.

[quote name='BloodiestCadaver']How come Games for Window's client does not have the new deals on a front page or something? I feel I always have to go through pages of games to find what is on sale...that just doesn't make sense to me.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed and disliked that as well. I remember the AOEIII deal was front and center, but the other deals have been hidden.

Anyhow, I'll try to remember to purchase Max Payne II tonight, as I really enjoyed the first one. I played that one on a PC, so I think it's fitting that I play the sequel that way as well.

Can anybody who has Max Payne 2 confirm or deny native controller support? If I'm not playing competitively, I'd rather use a controller. I don't want to buy it and then not be able to use it. xpadder isn't that great in my opinion because the joysticks always act wonky with that software.

[quote name='pROvIs']
Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

[/QUOTE]

Skipped the first and skipping the last. Got everything in between. However, didn't like STALKER much after playing for 15 mins. With so many games on PC and consoles, if a game can't grab me in the first 15 mins, it automatically gets pushed to the end of the pile, in this case, virtual digital pile. :lol:

I just bought Max Payne 2 and got two confirmation emails. Even though it's only 99c they better not have charged me twice :bomb:
edit: It seems like the order number is the same so there probably wont be a problem.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Was hoping for something good today, like Gears 1...guess I'll have to hope for the finale tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

People are saying this is the last deal of this run... I thought it was supposed go run for 7 days (a week)?

[quote name='Ninersfan4926']should I play the first before Max Payne 2?[/QUOTE]

If you are concerned with story yes but if not its not a big deal

I liked the game on the Xbox and I'm thinking about getting this but not sure since I don't know if I'll get around to playing it.

[quote name='JKSonic']People are saying this is the last deal of this run... I thought it was supposed go run for 7 days (a week)?[/QUOTE]

That's what we all thought logically that it would run a week, however that is not the case... today is it. It is confirmed on their twitter http://twitter.com/#!/GFWL/status/12193427982647297 facebook and website... so wait until the week before and/or after Christmas.. I'm sure some deal will come then!

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I liked the game on the Xbox and I'm thinking about getting this but not sure since I don't know if I'll get around to playing it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I feel. I think I may buy it just for nostalgia's sake.

[quote name='pROvIs']If you are concerned with story yes but if not its not a big deal[/QUOTE]
Mr. pROvIs is right, but, if I may jump in, I think the story is somewhat important.

It's true, the game does emphasize its gameplay mechanics, but both games in the series were designed to tell a story too. (The second game is quite referential to the first. Max Payne fans know Captain Baseball Bat Boy well.)

I recommend playing through the original first, and, for a dollar, you could at least stockpile the second. (The first isn't going to be expensive anyway, since it's about 10 years old.)

Indeed, you won't go wrong for a dollar; Max Payne was a good series for its time.

Picked up AoE 3 for 10 points and all 6 of the deals the past 6 days. Most of it was free for me since I got 400 MS points from Bing rewards. Pretty nice to get 7 games basically free...

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Mr. pROvIs is right, but, if I may jump in, I think the story is somewhat important.

It's true, the game does emphasize its gameplay mechanics, but both games in the series were designed to tell a story too. (The second game is quite referential to the first. Max Payne fans know Captain Baseball Bat Boy well.)

I recommend playing through the original first, and, for a dollar, you could at least stockpile the second. (The first isn't going to be expensive anyway, since it's about 10 years old.)

Indeed, you won't go wrong for a dollar; Max Payne was a good series for its time.[/QUOTE]

thanks. I'll buy the second now and see if I can find the first for cheap.

How do you control the game?

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']I just bought Max Payne 2 and got two confirmation emails. Even though it's only 99c they better not have charged me twice :bomb:
edit: It seems like the order number is the same so there probably wont be a problem.[/QUOTE]

I already got Max Payne 2 when I bought the Rockstar pack a while ago on Steam.
Still haven't even played it yet.

Last day of these deals was a bit disappointing. IMO.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']I just bought Max Payne 2 and got two confirmation emails. Even though it's only 99c they better not have charged me twice :bomb:
edit: It seems like the order number is the same so there probably wont be a problem.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Both emails had the same order number for the same gamertag. I doubt we'll be charged twice. But with MS you never know.

Well, I've bought:
Bioshock-$1.99
AOE III-$.10
Deus Ex-$.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC-$.99
Max Payne 2-$.99

Not a bad haul at all, IMO. Now MS, let's see what you do right before Christmas.

[quote name='Rirse']Sale is over now. Shame, I was hoping they would go insane and put Halo 2 or Gears of War on sale for a buck.[/QUOTE]

I'm really surprised that either Halo isn't on the GFW Marketplace. I'm almost done with Halo: CE that I purchased during the XBLA Black Friday sale and wanted a good deal on Halo 2 for the PC. Maybe they'll put them up (on sale) closer to the holidays. Since it wasn't there, I picked it up during the Amazon B1G1 50% sale.

bread's done
Back